PDA

View Full Version : Dark ash blonde advice/help *pics*

Bianca
June 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Hi :D

I'm currently growing out dye, trying to get my natural dark ash blonde color back, but i'm getting more and more convinced that I have to do SOMETHING to it. The color is just a tad to blah. Is there anything I could do to spice up the color ?

I have thought about cutting it shorter, color it barbie blonde, and straighten the hell out of it. But I would be sad to have gone through this growing out thing for months to just give up now... Plus, I dont really want to deal with roots again and (ofcourse) I would much prefer having long hair...:rolleyes:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2008&pictureid=40743

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2008&pictureid=40742

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2008&pictureid=40741

goodenough
June 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hmmm. I would dye it all to match your roots and then highlight some lighter blond. I like ashy hair.

Demetrue
June 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
You could put some golden highlights in around the front, but honestly, I would wait until the virgin hair part grows longer because I expect that during the summer, if you are out in the sun and/or swimming, you will end up with natural highlights and not need to use any chemicals. I would concentrate on growing it long and healthy.

Demetrue
June 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Oh - and whenever my hair got darker, I would experiment with brighter lipstick and more dramatic make-up & clothing colors - that might give you the change you want.

Bianca
June 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hmmm. I would dye it all to match your roots and then highlight some lighter blond. I like ashy hair.

I dont want to do anything to damaging, it would be hard to grow it long and healthy if I got highlights. If I could get it, and not wreck my hair totally. I would though :p

spidermom
June 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Oh - and whenever my hair got darker, I would experiment with brighter lipstick and more dramatic make-up & clothing colors - that might give you the change you want.

This. Also, your color won't stay the same as the roots; you will likely get highlights from being in the sun and so forth by the time your natural color gets to shoulder length or so. Try to hold out on doing anything to the color at least until then. I think it will harmonize with your skin tone (which looks pink on my monitor) better than the golden color does.

Feye
June 3rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
I like your color, it is very similar to my own :D (I'm also growing out roots)

Once it hits sunlight it will be naturally highlighted. Especially when it's long! The roots always look darker.

Bianca
June 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
You could put some golden highlights in around the front, but honestly, I would wait until the virgin hair part grows longer because I expect that during the summer, if you are out in the sun and/or swimming, you will end up with natural highlights and not need to use any chemicals. I would concentrate on growing it long and healthy.

I know, but i'm a very impatient girl :p My little sister have a similar color, her lenght is more on the golden side, so i'm hoping i'll get that too... Right now i'm just so bored with the color :)

Heidi_234
June 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Maybe cassia, mixed with something acidic? It seem to yield strawberry gold for some (on blond hair), so on your darker ashy color it might warm the color. Not to mention it's healthy and temporary if you don't like the results.

jivete
June 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
My roots are darker but ashy still, so I understand. I think the ash colors only look dull next to more vibrant colors, so once it's all virgin there won't be such a contrast. If you want to do something, I'd recommend trying to match the length to the roots using a semi perm dye that way the difference in colors won't contrast against the ash.

However, I still haven't done this because I am now scared of chemicals, so I've got reddish length and light, ashy brown roots.

Bianca
June 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
This. Also, your color won't stay the same as the roots; you will likely get highlights from being in the sun and so forth by the time your natural color gets to shoulder length or so. Try to hold out on doing anything to the color at least until then. I think it will harmonize with your skin tone (which looks pink on my monitor) better than the golden color does.

Yes, I have a very pink (cool) skin tone. Which looks even more pink with my current golden (light orange) color. My little sister get's golden highlights and she has a similar color, maybe just a tad lighter, she looks cute with them :p But she's 8, so she could have green hair and still be adorable.
I will let it be for now. Maybe just try some honey lightening :p

Sherri
June 3rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I am right there with you on growing out color. Mine is about the same way and I have been knocking around the idea of Lemon lightening, but not to sure about it. There is a thread here in recipe section about it.

Fractalsofhair
June 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
My hair is a little bit lighter than yours, but I know what you mean. If you must, high lights are a good option, Cassia is supposed to give hair a yellow tinge, if you like odd colors, there's manic panic(which fades, VERY slowly but surely), for streaks. I'd advise unique hair styles if you know of any that work with your hair.

hennaphile
June 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Maybe try a cassia treatment for healthy hair and a subtle warm glow.

Katze
June 4th, 2009, 04:36 AM
we have very similar coloring (I think my hair is darker) and personally I think the natural ashy tones look MUCH better with our coloring than orangy or yellowy bleached hair. I bleached for almost 20 years, and never really realized this. Luckily, I have grey coming in which is really pretty and silver and suits me well.

Just plain growing out worked best for me. I tried to dye darker, but the dye faded and I was left with two toned hair again, making the process longer.

there will be a period where the demarcation line is very noticeable, as in your pics, but it DOES go away. The bleached hairs will slowly shed and be replaced with virgin hairs, so the ends will look less noticeable, although it does take TIME, so be patient.

In all my years of trying to get my hair lighter, I never found anything that really worked (color always too orange, damaged hair) so I finally accepted my natural color.

Yours is really pretty and you might find out you like it, too!

brok3nwings
June 4th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I think you have a lovely natural colour and im sure it naturaly gets lighter with sun! If you want to speed a bit you should see the honey thread to get lighter hair and the lemon thread also.

ginalaurie
June 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
When I was growing out some blonde color several years ago, I used that semi-permanent hair color (the kind that's supposed to last 15 washings or so, I think it was Natural Instincts) and I matched it to my natural color. I'd spread it onto a wide-toothed comb and comb it through just the bottom, colored part of my hair. I used a comb so the blonde color would come through and it looked more streaked than colored. Anyway, it made the two colors of my hair much more blended with no line of demarcation. Since it's semi-permanent, you have to do it maybe every 6 to 8 weeks, but after several times, the darker colored on the bleached part will become almost permanent. Since you're not putting it on your virgin hair, there's really no damage. Just a thought.

Your natural color really does look good on you.

Bianca
June 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
My roots are darker but ashy still, so I understand. I think the ash colors only look dull next to more vibrant colors, so once it's all virgin there won't be such a contrast. If you want to do something, I'd recommend trying to match the length to the roots using a semi perm dye that way the difference in colors won't contrast against the ash.

However, I still haven't done this because I am now scared of chemicals, so I've got reddish length and light, ashy brown roots.

I thought about using a semi perm dye, just afraid my bleached hair will soak it in, making it very dark. I had my hands on a box today actually, but i'm scared I might make it worse :)

Bianca
June 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
we have very similar coloring (I think my hair is darker) and personally I think the natural ashy tones look MUCH better with our coloring than orangy or yellowy bleached hair. I bleached for almost 20 years, and never really realized this. Luckily, I have grey coming in which is really pretty and silver and suits me well.

Just plain growing out worked best for me. I tried to dye darker, but the dye faded and I was left with two toned hair again, making the process longer.

there will be a period where the demarcation line is very noticeable, as in your pics, but it DOES go away. The bleached hairs will slowly shed and be replaced with virgin hairs, so the ends will look less noticeable, although it does take TIME, so be patient.

In all my years of trying to get my hair lighter, I never found anything that really worked (color always too orange, damaged hair) so I finally accepted my natural color.

Yours is really pretty and you might find out you like it, too!

Yes, Ashy tones does look better with cool skin tones, but I'd prefer light ash blonde then :p Unfortunately that would require using bleach and i'm not up for that. I'll let it grow. It'll probably look better after getting some natural highlights from the sun :flower: Thanks for your reply.

Bianca
June 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
When I was growing out some blonde color several years ago, I used that semi-permanent hair color (the kind that's supposed to last 15 washings or so, I think it was Natural Instincts) and I matched it to my natural color. I'd spread it onto a wide-toothed comb and comb it through just the bottom, colored part of my hair. I used a comb so the blonde color would come through and it looked more streaked than colored. Anyway, it made the two colors of my hair much more blended with no line of demarcation. Since it's semi-permanent, you have to do it maybe every 6 to 8 weeks, but after several times, the darker colored on the bleached part will become almost permanent. Since you're not putting it on your virgin hair, there's really no damage. Just a thought.

Your natural color really does look good on you.

It sounds like a good idea actually... :) If I come to a point where I cant stand the two-toned look, i'll try this. For now i'll leave it, hoping that it'll look better when it gets longer and lightens up from the sun... :p

Leisje
June 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but you could always do some very gentle, natural and subtle colour lift with the use of honey lightening.

My natural colour is very similar to yours, and when it grows out long enough I always have the same thought. I feel blah. But with a little acceptance and love I think you'll be happy with your hair. Because yes, over some time the sun will naturally do some pretty things to the colour.

Kiraela
June 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
It probably only looks 'dull' because it's being compared to the dye. I really like ashy blonde hair, myself. As it grows out, you'll probably get highlights from the sun - which may be where your sister's slightly more golden tone came from.

Feye
June 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I used a semi permanent that was supposed to wash out, but it still gave me roots. :(

Bianca
June 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but you could always do some very gentle, natural and subtle colour lift with the use of honey lightening.

My natural colour is very similar to yours, and when it grows out long enough I always have the same thought. I feel blah. But with a little acceptance and love I think you'll be happy with your hair. Because yes, over some time the sun will naturally do some pretty things to the colour.

I actually tried honey lightning yesterday. I do think it's a little lighter, but it was kinda hard to wash out. My hair is still a little weird after I washed it. I co wash, but I had to pull out the shampoo...

I hope I will get to love it as it gets longer and the dyed parts are cut of. Time wil tell :flower:

Bianca
June 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM
It probably only looks 'dull' because it's being compared to the dye. I really like ashy blonde hair, myself. As it grows out, you'll probably get highlights from the sun - which may be where your sister's slightly more golden tone came from.

Yes, I think so, cause her roots are dull like mine :D

holomi
June 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I really like your natural color, it's beautiful! I'm not much help, but I just wanted to add my opinion. :twocents:

Bianca
June 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I really like your natural color, it's beautiful! I'm not much help, but I just wanted to add my opinion. :twocents:

Aww, thanks :flower: I really like your's too. Always had a thing for red hair :p