PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think??

Sarah4983
June 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hi! First post... I am definitely a new member to the "long hair" family. The last time I remember having long hair was when I was in 3rd grade and 16 years later I've decided to try again!

My hair routine is simple, but I need to know if there is a better alternative to what I use since I'm going to try to let my hair grow long.

I use John Frieda brilliant brunette shampoo and conditioner every 2 days, and I condition with LeKair Cholesterol once a week. I use Natural Instincts haircolor (in tweed) every 3 months to cover up my sparse grays... and I flat iron *maybe* once every couple weeks.

So what do you all think?? Any suggestions?? My hair is naturally wavy and somedays feels very dry... I've been reading posts on this forum for suggestions but figured posting my routine may help some of you point out what I might be doing wrong.

I uploaded a picture of my hair on my profile so feel free to look...

Thank you so much!

Kerynna
June 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Sarah, Everyone's hair is different, so it's best to try a few things out, one at a time, and over time you'll find what works best for you and your hair. My initial recommendations to you would be to try oiling your ends the night before a shampoo. I use coconut oil or sometimes jojoba oil but there are threads here about different oils and what people have found works best. You might also try to lengthen your time between washing, although every 2 days is certainly reasonable. You may find that your hair will be less dry after going longer between washes for a month or so. I don't know much about the shampoos you are using - do they have silicone in them? I generally try to stay as natural as I can with shampoos but honestly, I don't know if the brand of shampoo really makes a difference. Enjoy your hair journey!

jera
June 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hi Sarah. Welcome to LHC. :) Nice profile pics BTW. I can't comment on your choice of 'poos, cuz I've never used that line, but I would definitely lose the flat iron and heati appliances. They're the single most damaging thing if you want to grow your hair long. :p

redneckprincess
June 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hi, and welcome, I am pretty new to so I dont really have any advice but I just wanted to tell you welcome to The LHC and you and your hair are georgous and you seem to have fantastic growth♥

hazelnut
June 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Welcome to LHC!:) Well, let me throw my two cents out here as well ;). I used to flatiron my hair every 2-3 weeks but by doing that, my hair never got past my shoulders. So I'd say ix-ney (is that how you spell it??) on the flatiron. You don't need it.:) It will just damage your pretty hair in the long run. And I agree with the oiling too. I oil my hair with coconut oil every week before washing.

SpecialKitty
June 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Some hair types can't tolerate hair color very well, and most don't tolerate regular heat styling. I think your hair looks very healthy though :agree: If you stay around LHC, read the new member info and tips, and articles you will learn a lot about how to care for your hair.....

chelssix
June 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
I suggest giving up heat styling.
Also, I tried the John Frieda shampoo/conditioner, and they did dry put my hair. Maybe they are adding to the dryness?

kam984420
June 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Welcome to LHC. It looks like you're already long. Have fun growing it out!!!!!:cheese:

Sarah4983
June 4th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Thank you all soooo much!!!

So I will be putting my flat iron away for a while then :)

What about the thing you call "S&D"? I bought myself a good pair of hair scissors a few months ago, and about once a week I sit in good light with a dark background and cut all the split ends I find. I have found MANY split ends, and the result has been healthier looking hair... However, is it possible to do this too much? what would my hair look like if I did??

Also, I cannot view any member's profiles... I get a message saying I do not have privileges to... any idea why??

Thank you again!

ps - I SWEAR by biotin pills and the nutri-ox system!! how could I forget to put that in there?!?! I use the nutri-ox on the top of my hair because I was losing lots of hair and seeing thin spots several months ago. Together they worked wonders :)

jivete
June 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM
You'll be able to see more profiles when you have more posts.

Putting away the flat iron will help a lot. Silicones in my shampoo/conditioners just make my hair dry and brittle, so you might look into that next. Not everyone feels that way though, there are those that love silicone products. My hair is super fine and fragile though. It's not very long now, but it's longer than it's ever been and healthier, thanks to LHC.

Oh and welcome. You hair looks beautiful already.

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Welcome to LHC! :flower: You've come to the right place, if you want hair advice. LOL. Everyone is bursting with it here, and they're all such awesome people. :)

If your hair is feeling dry, why not try going longer between shampoos? I use Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner only, and my scalp gets every bit as clean as it did when I was using Aussie shampoo every other day, without the frizz and dryness I used to have. My hair also has a natural wave, and cutting out the silicone conditioners and shampooing less has really brought out my wave. :D

invisiblebabe
June 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Welcome! :flower: You have beautiful color and shine!