PDA

View Full Version : Saffron hair dye?

Girltron
April 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Can it be done? Should it? Has anyone done a swatch test?

ChloeDharma
April 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I presume it could be done on light hair....but you would probably need to remortgage your house to afford to use it!

Blueglass
April 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I've test stranded with tumeric. Even on my brownish color, way too brassy. She nightshade tumeric, Saffron is very fugitive, so anything may not last. Tryed saffron tea in my Speciality henna mixed. Water looked too orange, but didnt see much difference. Always test strand.

Riot Crrl
April 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
It takes almost 100 grams of henna to dye my hair, so that's about 3.5 ounces. Saffron is about USD $45 an ounce. $157.50.

Well, there are probably some salons around that charge that for a color process. But on the other hand, no one might have been willing to shell out for testing samples. When they could just eat it!

Isilme
April 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I once tried to dye my hair with saffron, I can't remember how I did it but I think it was the liquid in a henna mix or a rinse.It didn't work, at all:( But it did smell very good:)

Girltron
April 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I think when saffron is used as a dye it's small amounts dissolved in water, like when you cook. Not like making henna mud, ha ha! I was curious about the color that might be obtained, how long it would last, and if it could be used to "push" a henna mix into golden reds.

Sarahmoon
April 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I think saffron would turn light hair bright yellow :? Not really a nice look I think.

spidermom
April 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I remember learning that King Henry VIII outlawed the use of saffron for dyeing hair because he wanted to keep it all to himself.

I buy saffron once a year to use in holiday baking because it's so unbelievably expensive. They keep it locked up instead of on the spice rack at the grocery store. I once bought a bag of cheap saffron threads, though. When I added them to bread dough, it turned a shade of orange.

Riot Crrl
April 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I think when saffron is used as a dye it's small amounts dissolved in water, like when you cook.

Oh! Hahaha!

I don't think it would shift henna much, unless we're talking about very tiny amounts of henna. I also don't know whether it would stay in or not.

Saffron is pretty orangish and brassy of a yellow to begin with. Saffron rice does not look too different to me, than the results of a very dilute henna gloss (or largely demised straight henna) on mohair.