PDA

View Full Version : A Hair Journal

LittleOrca
June 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
I had an idea as I was going through my weight loss journal, how about a hair journal?

In my weight loss journal, I have a chart of loss, tips on how to keep losing weight, what to do on platues, rewards for myself at certain weights, pictures for inspiration, and etc. The hair journal could have all of the same! A chart of growth, tips on hair care, favorite recipes and modifications to them, pictures of your own hair growth progress and pictures of people whose hair you admire from here or other places (probably blot out faces out of respect like I do in my weight loss one :) ) I am not sure about the rewards for reaching certain lengths, but that could be done too. maybe I will get my first ficcare when I reach classic.

What do you all think, or am I just crazy? :shrug::silly::shrug:

janeytilllie
June 3rd, 2009, 01:09 AM
I too have a hair album/journal :D

I keep pictures of my hair from a child to now to view my growth progress. I also have a photoshoped picture of my hair at knee length which is my ultimate hair goal :cloud9:
This is great motivation for me to grow :).

I also keep my favourite recipes, tips, hair tools, hair styles and favourite hair routines in it.

Finoriel
June 3rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
I think it´s a great idea :wink: and no you´re not crazy because of that. Many people have similar areas in their blog. If that kind of motivation works for you, go for it! Everything what works is good :p regardless how crazy it may seem on first sight.

Queenie
June 3rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
When I just started out on the boards, I learnt SO much from reading other people's hair journals! They were actually called hair journals on the previous boards, now they're blogs. Like Finoriel says, many people just use their blog as their hair journal. Others barely mention it :)

Personally, I love the categories! I can easily keep track of the few hair things I do write, and I have a separate category to record all my measuring. Very handy!

Aditi
June 3rd, 2009, 02:20 AM
I am IN, so when is this journal starting?

LittleOrca
June 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
I am not too sure when it starts. :)

I want to gather information and put it in a little journal I can keep with me. I LOVE making little collage journals (but ironically I am not a big fan of scrap booking in it's current form... too much money. I just use ticket stubs, post cards, and pictures in a regular journal. :) ) and I will have to get some pictures of me when my hair was short and long and between and what I do to care about it.

Maybe I could do one on the blog so everyone can see it, and one in person that I can carry around with me, especially when I go on long trips and wont have computer access.

windinherhair
June 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have not started a hair journal yet but I did my first blog entry on LHC. I write in my every day journal and I have added some info about my hair to that.

When I first got started on LHC, I read this part on the forum:

Taken from:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

"The second part of my advice is that you start keeping records, to track how your hair is doing, and what you’ve been trying. To do this, I recommend that you keep a hair journal. There are a lot of things to try here. Knowing what you’ve tried, how your hair and scalp reacted, and what else you want to try, can be hard to keep track of. The best way to manage this large amount of information is to organize it in writing.

There are several ways to track this information. You could keep a diary or journal on paper. You could use your word processor to keep a record on your computer. You could use any of the many blogging/journaling websites. Or you could start a blog here at LHC. Whatever you choose, however, try to think of this as a journal, not a blog. Tracking your hair washes and experiments is unlikely to generate a lot of blog comments. But that’s okay, because creating a high-traffic blog is not the point. What you are doing with this is establishing a good record of what you have done, for your own private use, and, if it is online, to be a reference for others around here should you ask for help and advice in the future.

What should you track? There are two things that I consider the most useful.

First, you want to log each time you wash your hair. Write down what type of technique you used and what products you used for each step of your technique. Then, log the results of each wash, after your hair has dried, and before your next wash.

Second, use your journal or blog as a kind of personal index to LHC. Keep a record of things you want to try. Link to threads that have advice you want to find again in the future. This will help keep you from feeling overwhelmed, and help you figure out what it is you want to try in the future. "

GoddesJourney
June 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
I did this about a month before I found LHC. I started a blog on blogger called Goddess Hair Journey. Thus, my LHC name. Actually, I was thinking that if it did work, I should use the same method to achieve my fitness goals. It was supposed to be a way of holding myself accountable by having to report on it at least once a week. I found this site and figured it was better so I abandoned it.

muuserid
June 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
This sounds like such a fun, inspiring waylto continue my hair obsession! janeytilllie, I especially love your idea of including a photo shopped picture of your goal length. I'm totalling doing this!

enfys
June 4th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I don't keep pictures and things, but whenever I write in my real life, paper diary I talk about my hair and occassionally on my LHC blog depending on how much other stuff is going on!

I also take photos monthly.

I think it's great idea especially when you're experiementing or solving a problem with your hair.

Maelyssa
June 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm another one who thinks the hair journal is a really brilliant & fun idea.

I may be inspired to do the same thing. Great suggestion.

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I think it's a great idea! And if you happen to become complacent with your length once it gets longer, and start thinking about cutting - you can look back and see how happy you were with each milestone reached, and remember why you grew it out in the first place. :D

Buddaphlyy
June 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I had a very active (and some time controversial) hair journal on the old forum. Now I use the blogs as my hair journal. I actually need to be making an entry right now.