PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else HORRIBLE at updos?

abritta3
June 2nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
I am just awful at updos!
I unsuccessfully tried to do 3 today.
The first was the "bow" look and the other 2 involved french braiding...
I am awful at parting my hair and my hair is also only 25" and curly.
Maybe I should try this when my hair is much more wet?
Any advice? Any one with similar experiences?

amandasmith911
June 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
I am terrible at up do's. i either do a crappy bun or use the safest claw clips i can find. i love claw clips because they are easy. i hope i am doing my hair ok by them.

amanda

LittleOrca
June 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
It really depends on the do for me. Some of the more creative buns, I am horrible at. My best so far are chinese and whirled, but I sometimes have success with figure 8, and sometimes not.

The fancier the updo the worse it is for me in general, so I just french twist it up. I really need to get better at new ones though before I go on my vacation. *Searches for her old dolls to practice on*

Blue Willow
June 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
There are some very good tutorials in articles on this site. I also have used this tutorial and its worked out well..just follow along :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icf15ZRGStc&feature=related

Renbirde
June 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
:) Yep. I believe in English braids and hairsticks with simple buns-- I'm not patient enough to learn anything more complicated right now. Mabye this summer...

Chanterelle
June 3rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Me. To my consolation updos just don't look good on me even if done professionally.

Orchid_28
June 3rd, 2009, 12:35 AM
*raises hand*
I have short hair and the only updo I can do is a ponytail. But even when I had long hair I couldnt do an updo. I always felt that it looked horrible and just ended with my hair down like 99% of the time.

Flynn
June 3rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
I can do great things when I'm just fidgeting and not trying, but if I actually want it to look good, it's invariably a disaster.

Hypnotica
June 3rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
It took me *forever* to learn anything else then a basic cinnabun :P

Katze
June 3rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
Yes.

When my hair is really dirty, brushed flat, and oiled, I can get it to 'sort of' stay in an updo, especially if that 'do is braided. My profile pic is an example of this - what would be 'messy' for other LHCers is very very tidy for my hair.

Any time I try a new 'do it looks terrible, and despite years of trying, buns look really bad on me.

But I think my hair is more to blame than I am, since I can get good results on other peoples' hair. My hair is very slippery but also frizzy, and has many different lengths making it almost impossible to control.

Aditi
June 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
It took me *forever* to learn anything else then a basic cinnabun :P
You are kidding right?? You have written some of the good articles regarding updo's

Fethenwen
June 3rd, 2009, 02:45 AM
I can do great things when I'm just fidgeting and not trying, but if I actually want it to look good, it's invariably a disaster.
Yep, this happens for me also. I always end up with a simple hair style when going somewhere, because that is what I always end up with :p
But when fidgeting at home with nothing else to do, I sometimes manage to make quite nice up dos and stuff.

Tap Dancer
June 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
*raises hand*

I've tried using books and YouTube videos to help. I still can't put my hair up. I'll probably never be able to. :justy:

curls2grow
June 3rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
All I can do is a cinnabun. The rest look like crud when I do them.

Lady Verity
June 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Me! I never wear my hair up, ever, because I just can't master updos. I can do a ponytail, but it just looks rubbish. Bah.

concrescence
June 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I am. I think that my hair is just too short, especially with all the layers. And, yet, I see other LHCers with hair about the same length as mine (18-23) who say they can do updos, including updos held only with sticks and forks! I'm so envious. I always need a thousand pins and there's always bits sticking out. I can pretty much only do a messy bun, french twist, messy twist, and peacock twist. The last two are really my go-to updos and I usually have to secure them with a claw clip (sadly).

Torrin Paige
June 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I'm like Hypnotica. I couldn't do any kind of up-do to save my life. Even my pony-tails were sad. After cutting my hair off because I "couldn't do anything with it" and finding out that you actually have to fix short hair to make it look good, I vowed to be able to do stuff with my hair when it grew back. Lots of practice, some cursing, hairbrush throwing, and hurling myself across the bed to cry later...and I can do a lot of stuff with my hair. Granted, some of it doesn't work out for me the first time around (or the second or tenth) but I can usually get my hair into a reasonable approximation of whatever hairstyle I'm trying to accomplish. Hang in there, you'll get it!

camirra555
June 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
I suck at them too. I can't even french braid. My hair isn't long enough for a lot of the updos that people on here do but even if it was I know I would still have a hard time :(

Gypsygirl
June 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, I'm absolutely terrible at updos. In fact, that's why I'm here...a girl I met "in real life" asked me why I always just wear my hair down. :o Something kind of clicked between the two of us and we couldn't stop talking. She told me about this place- and here I am, determined to become great at updos!

I can French-braid my own hair now and I'm ridiculously proud of it. ;) Someone told me to get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Braiding-Styles-Anne-Johnson/dp/1570540187

I hope it's ok to put this link here- I love this book, it's really helpful.

Longhairpixie
June 3rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
I am just awful at updos!
I unsuccessfully tried to do 3 today.
The first was the "bow" look and the other 2 involved french braiding...
I am awful at parting my hair and my hair is also only 25" and curly.
Maybe I should try this when my hair is much more wet?
Any advice? Any one with similar experiences?

Join us! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26739)

There are many of us.