PDA

View Full Version : Kind of sad boxbraid... but it holds!

amaiaisabella
June 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Since my hair has gotten longer, I haven't really done much with updos, just cinammon buns and pigtail braids. My hair isn't that long, just at APL, so I haven't really thought about it, since I still can't do a lot of the complicated styles the longerhairs can do. Today, I attempted to do a boxbraid, and since a friend told me it wasn't bad, I decided to post for your general amusement:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z20/amaiai64/IMG_0243.jpg

I'm still short, but I'm working my way longer! :)

Gumball
June 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
I don't think it's sad at all! It's perfectly fine! It's just a little loose. No biggie. :flower: With a little more work it will just look better and better and better. Then all your friends (and us here) can shower you with more of our (and their) "oohs" and "ahhs".

Elphie
June 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
I think it looks great!

~GypsyCurls~
June 2nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
That's not sad! Very pretty, as well as your hair. Very shiny and I like the color too :)

Teazel
June 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Gorgeous colour and shine, and a very good first attempt. :thumbsup:

I haven't tried a box braid yet. Not that I can recall, anyway. :hmm: Can you point me to some instructions, please? :)

Speckla
June 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Very pretty! You did a really good one. Are you sure it's your first? That looks like the work of someone who knows what they're doing. :D

WritingPrincess
June 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Wow! Is that your first? My first was looser than that, and it was by now means frenched! Wow!
:thud:

amaiaisabella
June 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks, guys! This was my first try, I had started it lower down, near my ears, but it kept coming undone, so I started it higher up. I'll have to work to keep it tighter for the next time. It's better for keeping my braid fuller than the french braid, so I'll keep working on it.

Teazel, I found it in the articles section on our site: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=114. The only thing I found was when doing it, I didn't need the two sections in the middle to be divided, I just wound the outside strands around one main thick piece in the middle.

paper
June 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
I think it looks real pretty! Good job amaiaisabella! :D

mellie
June 3rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
That's really pretty!

melrose1985
June 3rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
WOW! that looks great. I can finally get my hair up with sticks now. I can't to be able to do stuff like this!

Unzadi
June 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Pretty! Great shine and color, too, and I see that penguin lurking in the background. :)

amaiaisabella
June 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Pretty! Great shine and color, too, and I see that penguin lurking in the background. :)

The penguin always manages to get himself into a picture ;) What you can't see (my head is blocking its position on the wall) is the certificate of adoption of a penguin from the Defenders of Wildlife :D

Tangles
June 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
That's a superb first attempt. Your color seems to have toned down a bit; it looks really good.

Arctic_Mama
June 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Awe, I think it looks quite good, and your hair is healthy and beautiful!

spidermom
June 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
I'm so impressed that you can do this at your length. I've never tried it going from the top, adding in strands. I always just do it from nape down (if I do it - seldom).

Good job!

SpecialKitty
June 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
So pretty - beautiful color, shine, and that braid is perfect in my opinion!

Redheaded Raven
June 4th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Very pretty! I cannot believe that is your first attempt at a box braid! It looks great! Even at my length, I cannot do a french braid on myself! You did a great job! :rockerdud :thumbsup:

Phalaenopsis
June 4th, 2009, 02:19 AM
You did great. Just a bit loose, but that's very common for the first tries.
But it's not really a boxbraid. It has a similar look to it, that's true. It will look a bit different if you really use 4 strands instead of three.

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I think it looks cute! You're making great length progress! :D