PDA

View Full Version : Hair dyeing questions

Kanden
June 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hey everyone, not posted in ages and this seems like a good question to start again.

I'm going to dye my hair dark red, and the questions are A) In the UK, what would be the best (preferably) affordable brand to use, and B) My hair is close to waist-length now, roughly how many bottles will I need to do it all?

Cheers

Madame J
June 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
What's your starting color? Have you considered a natural hair dye, like henna, or some blend of henna and indigo? Do you want it to be permanent? Since red hair dye is a notorious fader, do you mind having to either re-dye often, or else have fading hair dye fairly quickly? Do you want a dye without peroxide and/or ammonia?

RancheroTheBee
June 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I would also suggest henna, since you have so much hair. But the indigo/henna ratio might be hard... Look up Nightshade's henna article.

In any case, if you chose to go the conventional dye route, I would suggest three boxes, or more if you're tall or have very thick hair.

Garnier makes a really good dark red. :)

Autumnberry
June 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
In addition to Nightshade's Henna/Herbal Coloring articles, you could check out the "Henna For Hair site." There is a mixes page with many photos. And, of course, there's the Henna/Herbal forum here. Since you like red :)

Madame J
June 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Garnier makes a really good dark red. :)

You're probably talking about the "Sangria" color they make. I used to dye my hair with that in high school and I thought it was gorgeous. It can skew purple in some light.

hennaphile
June 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
If you don't mind the potential permanence, I strongly recommend body art quality henna :D

Elumen is supposed to be less damaging and less permanent.