PDA

View Full Version : Measuring stinks!

Heavenly Locks
June 2nd, 2009, 06:00 AM
*rant!*

I decided that after a few months of being here that the 'glitter' has started to wear off. ;) I was SO gung ho in the beginning. I wanted to try EVERYthing and learn EVERYthing...and I was measuring monthly (sometimes even more!) and I was getting more and more obsessed with doing everything perfectly...

That really started to make me tired.

These last few weeks I have just gone dormant. LOL I have been bunning it, and forgetting it. Surprisingly I am a lot happier. I found a routine that works for me (CO) and I am just. letting. it. grow.

I see that patience in our more experienced members and I am glad that I'm really understanding the "Treat it well and it will come" mantra.

I'm not sure if it's grown (I never could measure the consistently anyway!), and I'm not entirely sure how much I care :) I am just happy with caring for it and enjoying how it is NOW. My goal will come.

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/images/smilies/smilie_meditate.gif

zen_oven
June 2nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Awesome! I feel the same way these days. Other parts of my life became super busy so I just kind of stuck to my routine and didn't bother with taking length photos or any of that. Kind of makes it seem like it's growing faster, because I'll go a couple of months and then notice it again--"Holy crap! It's really growing!"

Blue Willow
June 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Even though I'm not that far away from goal, I've also felt myself getting a little bit anxious and trying new things wanting to find that magic bullet..lol..so far I don't think I've seen anything that is (for me)..But what is totally awesome is being around like minded people who don't feel its wierd for a woman my age to actually love her long hair..

Carolyn
June 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
But what is totally awesome is being around like minded people who don't feel its wierd for a woman my age to actually love her long hair.. :rockerdud Great statement! It's so nice to have LHC when the rest of the world seems so anti long hair.

I think most of us who have stuck around a long time have tried tons of products and hair care methods. I've found it fun since I love messing around with my hair. But there came a point where I fell into a comfortable routine of CO and CWC. I still experiment some because it's fun. The Noobie Fervor affects a lot of people. It's just part of the process of discovering what you want and what works for you. Eventually most settle in to some kind of a routine that's comfortable for them or they get so burned out they go away. That's not to say that those of us who have been around for years don't still seek new things or stop experimenting. I think we do it in a more informed way.

Fencai
June 2nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Good for you! Ive been feeling the same myself lately.
Just forget about it! I stopped measuring a while ago since my waves were making it impossible to get an accurate reading.
Now I just go by actual body points!

MandaMom2Three
June 2nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
I got burned out too :D. I measure once in a while if the notion strikes, but usually I just wait, I'm really going my landmarks not distance anyway :lol:

redneckprincess
June 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
once I get to a point where I can wear it in a bun or braid my hair I will be so happy to just braid and go, for days on ends and maybe even go for leingth of time without looking at my leingth or worring about it. Im thinking that will be at least another 6-12 months ♥

AmyJorgensen
June 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
I agree you should enjoy the growing process...because if you have a definite goal, you will eventually need to start trimming to not exceed your goal. (This is where I am....and I don't like my hair as much in updos right after it is trimmed as it cascades too choppily.) Or I guess you could just get a new longer goal.

Roseate
June 2nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I only measured a few times before I gave up. I do still like taking length photos, it's fun to be able to see my progress all at once on the screen, but whether it's 23.25 or 23.6875 isn't that interesting to me. Maybe I'll start measuring once a year or so, just to get a number.

wahmof9
June 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
I gave up measuring it was too depressing! Never got the same measurement twice...so landmark for me...but it is soooooooooo HARD not to be impatient. I have not had long hair in forever so waiting is hard and I am not getting any younger!
Sigh!

MsBubbles
June 2nd, 2009, 12:24 PM
I measure according to the morrocco method, (http://www.morroccomethod.com/lunar.shtml) using the 'trim for length' dates. Sometimes I trim, sometimes I just measure, but I don't get the tape measure out between those dates. If I didn't have random dates assigned by someone else, to throw me off, I'd be checking length and getting upset every other day.

Naava
June 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
I am just happy with caring for it and enjoying how it is NOW. My goal will come.

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/images/smilies/smilie_meditate.gif

This is just what I came to realize a little while ago and it made growing feel much easier for me :)

spidermom
June 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
I experimented some when I was new, but the only things I've kept is CWC with diluted shampoo, up-do techniques I've learned, and having my daughter measure the length every 3 months. Otherwise I do what I've always done and use the products I've always liked.

Oh, and I abandoned the flat iron and the curling iron. But I still blow-dry on warm and cool settings, and I still use the hot-roller set every once in awhile to curl the ends for a special occasion.

Merewen
June 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'm getting over the newbie euphoria thing too. I've always kind of just let it do its thing for the most part, and I like not having to do a whole lot for it. Yes, growing it out is definitely a long-term goal, but the whole hair-crazy thing was bound to be short-lived.

enfys
June 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Measuring definately stinks, but in conjunction with photos it's a good way to see if you can justify spending so much money on vitamins!

bigdreamer
June 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hello I'm a newbie and while I'm not as geeked up about the measuring thing on myself (I'm afraid of becoming obsessed with it) the measuring photos I have seen are a real inspiration! (plus I'm currently obsessed with my newfound knowledge about 'cones and coconut oil and all the rest)

paper
June 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
I feel much more relaxed now after reaching APL. I was checking my back, like every day! I plan on wearing it up for along time. I'm growing out hair dye, so it looks best up. I feel that I can let it be now, and just take good care of my hair and let it grow. :)

curls2grow
June 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
I stopped measuring a couple of years ago. It literally gave me a headache trying do it on my own. Not to mention it was discouraging when I would record no growth or a shorter length when there was no trimming involved. Now I go by body benchmarks. Been at "below shoulders" for wayyyy tooo lonnnng.

rach
June 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
i recently had the split end battle which hasn't helped me gain length recently but with patience and a new healthy regime i shall succeed with my mission in the end for growth. for the time being i'm just happy seeing it come back to life and enjoying my funky henna red :D

longhairedfairy
June 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
I think I remember measuring once. :hmm:

Dars
June 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
I measured my wet hair once when I first joined, I found it frustrating to get an accurate number as I tend to be a perfectionist so I'm choosing not to measure! :o I also go by body marks. Unfortunately for seeing length I am 6ft tall with curly hair!

82exoticbeauty
July 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I guess everybody here got some point that when they measure, sometimes it points out the hair grew, but some not! Some it looks like it stays the same! I did measure my hair before 4 months ago! But I was lame into measuring it, so I only measure it by my body! Like BSL, WAIST, HIP, TAILBONE, CLASSIC! yup, I suck at measuring:p:D