PDA

View Full Version : Pillow plopping?

Curlsgirl
April 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I have been letting my hair dry about halfway or more and then at night tossing it over my pillow to dry. Is that what you call pillow plopping or is pillow plopping done another way? Anyone know?

Shanarana
April 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Never knew there was such a thing, would be interested in knowing myself. Is there any benefits to doing that?

Curlsgirl
April 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Never knew there was such a thing, would be interested in knowing myself. Is there any benefits to doing that?

I have heard others mention it but can't remember who :doh:

I was reading the other plopping thread and happened to think about it and wonder if I was doing it the way they were talking about or if there is another way. I like to go to bed with my hair damp so was curious as to another possibility. I wonder if some sleep with it plopped in a microfiber towel or something. Seems like I have heard of that too. I don't know if I could do that though.

anna1850
April 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
It doesn't mean just regular plopping but using a pillowcase instead of towel does it? Because that would make some sort of sense. I've never heard of it before though.

I did try sleeping with a towel on my head once, but it kept falling off so wasn't a huge success.

SearMeCarefully
April 8th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Lol I always wondered about pillow plopping.. I always thought it was like plopping but just doing it while sleeping.. I've done that though thrown damp hair to the top of my pillow and woken up with surprisingly great curls.. I wonder what would happen if I put product in it as well..

hurricane_gia
June 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Bump!!

I'm very curious about this, too.

renarok
June 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I don't think that it would work for us restless sleepers. I have had some great results from damp buns. 2 or 3 up high on my head. I wake up with lovely waves, and the hair is extra soft from drying so slow.

Anne~
June 19th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Been doing that for years. I never thought of a name for it except for getting it out of my way when I sleep and hoping it totally dries by morning. I guess some people have a lot of time on their hands and need to name weird stuff. Well... I guess Pillow plopping it is. But plopping to me is sitting my huge hiney on the couch and watching a good movie. :rolleyes:

ZaBasDa
June 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I always called it sleeping with wet hair. It makes sense to me that if I don't want to feel like I drooled all over myself to put my hair up over the pillow. But it is nice to have a name for that.

SpiralingWaves
June 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I do this once in a while too. I think it is called pillow plopping, though I am not completely sure. Okay, not much help there, was I? I just sort of toss my damp hair over my pillow and hope it doesn't dry too weird looking. It is a bit harder for me to do this now since I've added more layers to my hair. But I'm still interested in other ways to do this, so hopefully someone else will chime in here.

hurricane_gia
June 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I do this once in a while too. I think it is called pillow plopping, though I am not completely sure.

Exactly. We've all slept with wet hair slung up over our pillows, but is that what people mean when they discuss "pillow plopping"? I'd love to know if I am missing out on some cool technique for waking up with curly hair, or if this is . . . . all there is.

misstwist
June 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
When I am battling a migraine I will get out of the shower, where I haven't washed, conditioned or combed my hair, just had water running over it, wrap my hair in a towel, put on a terrycloth robe and go to bed. Usually wake up hours later in the exact same position with the best curls ever.

Small compensation for migraines.

Rini
June 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Well I thought it meant using a pillowcase to do the regular "plopping" method, instead of the usual old t-shirt or towel method.

I personally find that lying on my hair when wet makes it go all weird and angular :confused:

MotherConfessor
June 20th, 2008, 12:24 AM
its what i usually do if i'm feeling curly

harley mama
June 20th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I get nice canopy curl when I pillow plop. But, my under curl is flatter.
I like the results but, hate going to bed with wet/damp hair.

wonderlywroughte
June 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
That's what I call pillow plopping - draping your wet/damp hair up over the pillow when you go to bed. Every time I mention it, this is what I mean.

hurricane_gia
June 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the clarification, wonderly. I'm so relieved now to know what everyone is talking about!

burns_erin
June 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
That what I do, but first I twist it loosley into a rope, like I am going to bun it, then I drape it up over my pillow. I do not know what that might do to curlies, but it keeps it up there more since I am a restless sleeper. I even have DH trained so if he wakes up and my hair is down or in his face he'll coil it up and throw it over the pillow himself.

Curlsgirl
June 20th, 2008, 11:57 AM
That's what I call pillow plopping - draping your wet/damp hair up over the pillow when you go to bed. Every time I mention it, this is what I mean.

Thanks! I knew I had heard someone talk about it! It works very well for me. But then I can sleep any way and my hair usually comes out okay now that it is all one length and longer. I love that.

SpiralingWaves
June 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hey thanks wonderly for clearing that up for us. :-) I think I may have originally read about pillow plopping from you a year or so ago. I also think I read that you do (or used to anyway) a type of plopping in a silk sleep cap. Was that you? I've done this too and it works, but sometimes my waves/curls can look odd if I don't get the hair in there the right way.

Siava
June 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
There's no way I can do this! I'm a total toss 'n turn freak in the bed. Do you ladies train yourself to sleep with your hair draped without turning onto it without messing it up or when/if you do turn, are you somewhat awake and know to be careful? Or does it just come naturally to sleep like a stone?

ZaBasDa
June 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I usually don't move much in the night. But I tried it last night, and I woke up with a case of squashed wonky curls. Oops, guess I ended up moving too much.

hurricane_gia
June 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
There's no way I can do this! I'm a total toss 'n turn freak in the bed. Do you ladies train yourself to sleep with your hair draped without turning onto it without messing it up or when/if you do turn, are you somewhat awake and know to be careful? Or does it just come naturally to sleep like a stone?

Up until I hit waist-length, I always slept with my hair down anyway, so as my hair grew I was able to adjust to it gradually. I suppose if I'd gotten long hair overnight, I'd get tangled up, but if you can walk to the bathroom and back without walking into a wall at 3 a.m. then you can probably learn to be careful of your hair. I'm just guessing here, but I would bet that it only takes two or three nights of getting hit in the face with your own cold, wet hair to train your subconscious mind to move more carefully.

When I was a little kid, I rolled over in bed by either sitting or pushing up, then doing a turn in mid-air and finally landing on the mattress with a big flop. At the same time, I was an evening bather and so always slept with wet hair, and somehow I learned how to move without tangling my hair or slapping myself with it. When I grew up and got married, my husband objected strenuously to my sleep-acrobatics. Every time I shook the mattress, it woke him up, so he woke me up to complain. But if I rolled over smoothly, he slept through it and so I got to sleep through it to. I never sat down and said to myself, "I have to stop flopping around in bed," but a sort of Pavlovian-conditioning happened and within a couple of weeks I had changed my sleeping habits.

I think the same thing would be possible with the wet hair.

I'm still a restless sleeper, but now I don't make any sudden movements. I have two modes of sleep-restlessness: In one, I roll from my back to a side without lifting my hair off the pillow. As long as I start off the night with my head and hair in the middle of the pillow, my hair doesn't move around much and there are no tangles.

In the second mode, I wake up just a tiny amount -- enough to realize that I'm uncomfortable and want to move around. In that mode, I'm awake enough to remember to grab my hair and move it.

I rarely sleep with wet hair anymore because it's very humid where I live now, and my hair would still be wet when I woke up. But sometimes you just can't find time to wash your hair until 8 p.m. . . . So sleeping with wet hair is a skill worth learning!

LongForLife
June 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM

I love going to sleep with my hair wet, as it gives me wonderful waves/slight curls. I never knew there was a special name for it. I ALWAYS toss and turn and this still works fine for me. I just stick the hair above my head on the pillow and loop it a few times, so all of it is above me. Takes 2 seconds. Then when I flip, I do the same thing. If you can keep it above you like this, your pillow will not be wet behind you, so when you flip you are not laying your face in a wet pillow. Or you can turn the pillow each time you turn. Sometimes I will wake up in the middle of the night and notice my hair has become fairly dry, so I flip the pillow completely over, so it can dry even better on the dry side. My hair never gets funky from this, no matter how I move, but that is my hair. It might effect others differently.

Leisha
June 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I always called it sleeping with wet hair. It makes sense to me that if I don't want to feel like I drooled all over myself to put my hair up over the pillow. But it is nice to have a name for that.
lol :spitting:

Yeah I didn't know it had a name either! I do that sometimes, and it does give nice waves. :)

Oskimosa
June 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Heehee! My great grandma was doing this before we were!

I used to sleep with my hair wet all the time, either putting it up over the pillow or wherever, just with a towel folded over the pillow to keep it from holding moisture and molding.

My Granny told me how her mom did it: once she had laid down, she would tie her hair in a loose ponytail that would keep her hair up above her and that in the morning she'd have extra volume from the roots by doing so. I have alot of volume anyway so this didn't do anything for me, but I still have my absolute best hair days --silky soft and wavy--when I sleep on it wet.