PDA

View Full Version : My "Bun That Stays" is Super Messy! Help!!

SimplyViki
June 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
OK, a little over dramatic, I know... has anyone got any tips for mastering "the bun that stays" so that it's nice and smooth looking? Mine turns into a rough, weird feeling nest-like thing... no matter how much I comb it beforehand. What might I be doing wrong? Or maybe my hair isn't quite long enough yet?
Or is its purpose simply, solely, to "stay", and not really to lie smooth?
That and I keep pulling hairs out when I try and thread my hairfork through it... :justy:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong...
Maybe I'm just having a bad updo day. :(

InTheCity
June 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
I've read members with your length/longer say updo's end up smoother when done on damp hair.

I know my own (still tiny) bun looks neater when done with damp and freshly combed hair.

SimplyViki
June 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hmm... I'd have to get more ketylos, then, I guess... I have one plain ketylo stick that I can use on wet hair, everything else is wood and would get damaged from wet hair.

I've also been eying my wooden hairfork and wondering if it's hurting my hair - just after I posted my frustrated post above, I noticed what a lot of hairs I combed from my hair after taking it down from that updo... I think maybe my fork is the problem. It's kind of rough, actually.

jel
June 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Or is its purpose simply, solely, to "stay", and not really to lie smooth?

I think that's more or less it! :D

I love the 'bun that stays', AKA the Spideybun, simply for its efficiency. It takes milliseconds to put up, and it does stay in my hair. But, because the length is just wrapped, not twisted, it does look a bit bushy. With twisted updos, my hair looks more under control. Still, I really don't mind!

InTheCity already suggested damp bunning; how about lightly oiling the length so it lies smoother? That might help...

SimplyViki
June 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I'm going to keep trying. I've gotta get rid of these forks... they're hurting my hair (my scalp is still aching from my wrestle with it this morning). Maybe my ketylo would be better.

Anje
June 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
Sounds like you're making it a bit tight for your hair, if your scalp's hurting.

Try making it like a "cheater's Figure-8 bun," or "cheater's infinity bun" or something like that. Basically the same thing if you don't twist it, but you might be able to spread your fingers farther so it can better span the middle part. I think it looks a little neater if I twist it a little and use a stick instead of a fork, but I tend to prefer a stick anyway.

ETA: Here's how I do mine. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14522)

curls2grow
June 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Just mentioning that I use a light amount of leave-in conditioner to smooth my hair before putting it up in a bun. Helps with canopy fly-aways and making the bun looks smooth and shiny. This pics in my album are taken at end of day, so those are not good examples of this actually happening. :o

spidermom
June 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Some days mine are neat, other days kind of bird-nest looking. I use Natures Gate Styling Putty and/or aloe vera gel when I want a neat result.

Definitely use something to hold it that slides easily. As you wrap the loops and the ends around the base of the ponytail, don't do it too tightly; there should be some give. I tug on the 2 loops as I open them to get a little extra looseness if I need it, taking care that the ends remain tucked. The stick or fork should slide easily from loop 1, under base, and out loop 2. If it ever seems hard, I know it's too tight.

ChatoyantLocks
June 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
I really like using Amish hair pins! After you put in the hair stick or fork, just slide several hair pins in along the top and sides. They help distribute the weight of your hair more evenly, so it is less likely to pull on any one spot on the scalp, and is more likely to stay neat longer.

In general, if your head starts to hurt within a couple of minutes of putting a style in, it's probably pulling too hard somewhere, and should be taken out and readjusted.

SimplyViki
June 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM
As you wrap the loops and the ends around the base of the ponytail, don't do it too tightly; there should be some give. I tug on the 2 loops as I open them to get a little extra looseness if I need it, taking care that the ends remain tucked. The stick or fork should slide easily from loop 1, under base, and out loop 2. If it ever seems hard, I know it's too tight.
*breakthrough*
Ooooohhhhh! OK! Yes, I was definitely wrapping the ends around the base too tightly. And in my frustration (really need to work on cultivating an extra measure of patience) I ended up not only making it too tight, but pulling out several hairs as I tried to slide the fork underneath the base of the whole thing.

Also, it seems that my hair is just a little bit too short for this yet... at least with my layers it is. I found that it was a lot easier to do this with half my hair (like a half-up style), so I think I just need a bit more length to do it in the most comfortable way.

Thank you!!