PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash your hair?

Ava711
June 1st, 2009, 11:50 AM
And how often do you do it? I want to change my hair-washing routine to help it grow and keep it from being damaged. Right now I just shampoo and condition, but everyone here seems to have their own way of doing it! So- what do you think is the best way? Thanks! ;)

Heavenly Locks
June 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
I use conditioner only. :) No shampoo. I do that about 3 times a week?

abritta3
June 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hello. I have 3a/3b curly hair so I use the condition only method. When I am in the shower, I stand below the shower head and just let the lukewarm water drench my hair. Then, I apply VO5 conditioner (any, it's 'cone free) and let it sit for 1-3minutes. Then, I rinse with COLD water...I used to dread that part, but now I actually *love* it.:p

InTheCity
June 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Roughly twice per week. Once with shampoo and conditioner, once with conditioner only - unless I've somehow gotten "dirty."

I get my hair wet in the shower, use a little shampoo on only the scalp and massage it. I rinse it thoroughly and blob a good amount of conditioner throughout the length.

I let that sit while I do my shower business and rinse cold at the end.

If only I had my drying routine down...
Air dry = frizzy medusa.
Patiently letting it dry in a smooth bun = beautiful waves
Letting DBF seeing me when I get out of the shower = my hair's definitely going to get messed up and dry funky ;)

Natalia
June 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Right now i am doing CO (conditioner only) and my hair seems to like that alot but if you oil it can take a while to remove it, compared to poo anyways :). So for heavy oiling or extra greasy days i will be alternating with indian herbs like alma, menthi, and shikaki (i think i spelled that wrong :o). I love experimenting so i cant wait to try it :D. Good luck try a few things and you'll know what your hair likes best.

Welcome,
Natalia :heartbeat

Elphie
June 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
I use the CWC method, I condition the length with Suave Coconut conditioner (cone free) and I use only shampoo on my scalp. I rinse it and then apply conditioner to the length again if I feel like I need it. I rinse that as well. I usually do this twice a week. If I find I need to wash it more frequently, I might CO during the week too.

RancheroTheBee
June 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM
I CO twice a week, and then I CWC at the end of the week (or, if my hair is feeling very greasy, CO once and CWC twice.)

The plain old S&C method has never worked for me. Neither does water-only.

desertgirl
June 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM
I make a baking soda paste for my hair once a week (about a tablespoon worth) to get the dust and extra oil out. (It also does a great job exfoliating my scalp!) Rinse. I follow this with a tsp of vinegar and a small lemon dilluted in about a cup of cool water. Rinse.

If it needs attention during the week, I rinse with water only.

(once my hair drys naturally I oil it, starting from the tips)

Anje
June 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'm another conditioner-only person, and if I use shampoo it is mostly just on the scalp. I wash it roughly once per week now that it's summer, but I tend to wait until it's getting greasy or dusty before washing, which varies seasonally. (I found that I can go a good week in the summer, and have to wash about every 2nd or 3rd day in the winter.) Afterward, I work a few drops of oil into the ends and length before combing it out, which seems to make that process easier and the results are nicer. Unfortunately, the oil seems to attract dust and cat fuzz, but I prefer my hair with it to without.

theshadowpuppet
June 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Conditioner only, every other day, usually. Trying to increase the time between.

teela1978
June 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
I shampoo and condition. Usually every 2-3 days, more often if I've been exercising.

plainjanegirl
June 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
I normally shampoo and conditioner every other day. But I am trying out other things to see if anything is better. SO I will be watching this thread.

longhairedfairy
June 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
I shampoo (at least my scalp) and condition pretty much every single day. My scalp feels better if I do, but what works for me might be a disaster for someone else. Everyone is different, so experiment with various methods for a few weeks or so at a time until you find what works for you. :)

Madame J
June 1st, 2009, 07:41 PM
You might want to check out this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=65) and this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) before you start messing around too much with changing things. There are also good articles about caring for damaged hair and handling hair to prevent damage. Good luck.

frodolaughs
June 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
I CWC, usually once a week. I put the first conditioner especially on the scalp, rinse, shampoo just the scalp, rinse, then use my second conditioner from the ears down and let it sit while I finish my shower before rinsing it out. I used to shampoo and condition every day. Working down to once a week was a gradual process. I oil my ends between washing.

I use very little shampoo. A 12 oz bottle last about a year. I don't use a ton of conditioner, but go through those bottles much more quickly. One great thing about this routine is how little I have to spend on hair care products (leaves more for hairtoys!)

heynormy
June 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
I normally shampoo my scalp and condition the length about once a week, twice at the most.

tiamimi
June 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM
I'm another CO and CWC once a week each person. When it's cooler I can stretch the CWC a bit more but living in Alabama it's so hot in the summer my hair starts to smell from the sweat.:ohmy:

Pierre
June 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
I do WO at irregular intervals. Every couple of months I henna.