PDA

View Full Version : Curly Care Package Advice Needed

rhysiana
June 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hey curly ladies, I need some help! I saw my SIL over the weekend, and she was commenting on how nice my hair was all the way to the ends, lamenting that her own gets really dry and crunchy. Since DH has confessed that her birthday is next month, I thought I might try to put together a hair care package for her. However, as you can see from my profile, my hair is about as opposite of curly as can be.

Here's her hair type: 3c/M/iii. (ETA: Sorry, I had a typo in her hair type. I originally put 3a when I meant 3c. But you've all been giving great recs, so I'm sure this won't matter in the end!) It's somewhere between BSL and waist. She spends a lot of time trying to tame the frizz, and when she wears it down, it seems to get a lot of gel/spray. It's beautiful hair, though, and I'd hate to see her ever cut it, especially since she has an increasingly active 1-year-old now.

So, if you were to create a Curly Care Package, what would it include? Suggestions of books, products, toys, techniques, etc., are greatly appreciated!

kwaniesiam
June 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM
I did something similar recently. Coconut oil and aloe gel are good starts, also maybe print out a few recipes like for Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray or the famous SMT.

A nice wide toothed comb will help her if she already doesn't have one too. Maybe a copy of The Curly Girl book? It certainly doesn't work for everyone, but its worth a try and she might find some interesting techniques in there. Also tell her about Conditioner Only washes. HTH!

Curlsgirl
June 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
The Curly Girl book is a MUST!!!! That and then this place totally changed my hair life! Then you could add some Curly girl friendly products such as cone-free conditioner, a diffuser if she doesn't already have one (Sally's has them cheap that just fit over the end of the blow dryer). As for gels, I like LA Looks sports gel, cheap and curly girl friendly as well. A shower comb and coconut oil would be definite pluses, maybe if you have some different kinds of oils put sample in little travel bottles, I did that for someone once. Explain to her that all of it or none of it might work for her particular hair and she can do a modified Curly Girl routine geared toward her special curly needs.

BTW if she hasn't be sure she TRIES air-drying her hair totally. Aloe gel might now work for her, doesn't for me. Curl cream is one of my best friends too. Boot's, AG RE:COIL, Mop-C are some good ones.

wackyredtangles
June 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM
I think I'm using Kimberlily's defrizz spray, but its been so long since I've looked at the recipe that I'm not sure.

Anyways my 'recipe' is
A spray bottle. I used a leftover hairspray bottle. Fill about 3/4 with water. Add a few drops of coconut oil. Add a few drops of some EO if you're into that. Add enough Aloe Vera Gel that it has the consistency of a very light spray gel.

A nice bottle/jar of coconut oil.

Some cone free shampoos/conditioner

Some sort of gloss drops product. I use a Paul Mitchells gloss drop, but I've used Ion and a few other brands in the past.

I know I rant and rave about this and no one else seems to use them, but I love the Whirl-A-Style. I found mine at Claires for $5. http://www.whirlastyle.com/ These look very elegant with curly hair. I use mine with a miniish sort of jaw clip to hold it, since I have a lot of hair.

I love the longer scarf things. I think they're back 'in style' now, I saw some at the mall. You tie them around your head, and let the ends hang. Some of those might be nice.

abritta3
June 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
I DEFINITELY agree with curlsgurl. My hair is also 3a/3b combination and the Curly Girl Method changed my life too.
The book basically states that curly girls should EMBRACE their natural curl and use only 'cone free CO and use a clear gel :p
I read this book back in Jan '09 and my hair has only gotten progressively healthier!
I personally do not use any gel or hair spray just VO5 Conditioner or Suave and EVOO...then I let my locks air dry.
I hope this helps!

Ursula
June 1st, 2009, 11:36 AM
I had a similar situation with my sister-in-law, who has quite curly hair. I gave her a copy of the Curly Girl book, and then let her decide what to do with it. Since she lives in NYC, she has decided to have her hair cuts at the Divachen salon, and buys their products.

I'd suggest the book, and perhaps some hairtoys for updos, as updos are probably the biggest help for people with small children who want to keep their hair long. Products are tricky, as what works tends to be more individualized.

rhysiana
June 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far! You guys are fast. Keep 'em coming! I probably won't have time to start gathering stuff for at least a week, so I'll be checking in here regularly.

Ursula, my SIL also lives in NYC, at least for now, so the Devachan suggestion is excellent!

Ursula
June 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far! You guys are fast. Keep 'em coming! I probably won't have time to start gathering stuff for at least a week, so I'll be checking in here regularly.

Ursula, my SIL also lives in NYC, at least for now, so the Devachan suggestion is excellent!

Be aware that Divachan is quite expensive. As are their products. For my SIL, it is essentially her one major indulgence, and she doesn't get her hair cut too often. For someone on a tight budget, it might be a cruel suggestion.

The book, however, is far more do-it-yourself, and I'd start with that, and let her decide how to proceed.

Honey39
June 1st, 2009, 11:58 AM
My best purchase was a cone-free leave-in conditioner - Kiehl's is fantastic, but it's hugely expensive (£25). The plus side is that it's lasted 6 months and I have loads left.

rhysiana
June 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Be aware that Divachan is quite expensive. As are their products. For my SIL, it is essentially her one major indulgence, and she doesn't get her hair cut too often. For someone on a tight budget, it might be a cruel suggestion.

The book, however, is far more do-it-yourself, and I'd start with that, and let her decide how to proceed.

Good point. I was looking on their website to see if they had gift certificates. I'll probably just stick with putting together a package with the book for now, and then maybe her mother and I can both get her certificates, if they're available. I know her mother has invested in huge quantities of conditioners for her over the years, so she'd probably be interested in this project, too.

Copasetic
June 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I would also suggest coconut oil and aloe gel. A wide tooth comb and one of those soft hair towels might be a good idea. All of those are good curly basics.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
My girlfriend is a corkscrew coil gal. SO I taught her to stop using a brush, and to use her fingers. And to wash with conditioner only, with a dilution of shampoo on the top of the head, and less frequent washing, too.

And she uses "cholesterol" -- Black Beauty aisle, say at Walmart or Sally's Beauty Supply.

You might also give her Fox' Shea Butter recipe! heavily curly gals usually like shea over an actual oil.

Don't forget a nice ornament or two! Something like a ponytail tie with a giant sunflower. Or a hair friendly clip, or what about a lovely hair stick with a pretty decorative set of beads on top?

What about a how-to-do-it-yourself braid book along with Curly Girl, or how about NATURALLY HEALTHY HAIR by Mary Beth Janssen? Can be found on amazon.com

heidi w.

cocolover
June 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Fox's shea butter cream has totally defrizzed my curls, LOVE that stuff. I've also seen on the board that several 3a heads of hair have responded well to it. That would be my # 1 recommendation :)

rhysiana
June 2nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Again, thank you to everyone who has helped so far.

Here's what I'm thinking I'll try to include:
-a copy of Curly Girl (the braid book was a good suggestion, heidi w., but she's already really good at that)
-a printed recipe for Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray
-a mister
-some aloe gel
-some jojoba oil
-maybe the travel sample pack of Devachan curly hair products?

I also want to include a pretty hairtoy of some sort. Are there ones that work better/worse in curly hair vs. straight? Sticks vs. forks, etc.?

Jae6
June 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'd also add a little card w/ the url for naturallycurly.com, if she doesn't know about the site already. Maybe bundle it up in a satin pillowcase, too (helps w/ frizz)? Oh! What about a curl-ease towel? http://www.curlease.com I've been super-lemming this.

curls2grow
June 2nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Another vote for coconut oil and AV gel. And another book recommendation. I thought this one was great for styling curly hair (especially long curly hair, because it's got a lot of non-standard updos in there) is Strictly Curls: A Step-by-step Guide to Styling Curly Hair (Spiral-bound) by Nicole Siri. If I remember correctly, the author had a website set up to sell the book and it used to have some examples of styles covered in the book.

swirlytresses
June 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
You can pick up some turbie towels (not terry cloth) at Big lots for $2. You can also find some nice wooden Conair combs for $2.50. I also think the curly girl book is a great idea. As for hairtoys, pretty much any forks, stick, etc. work great. Also fexi-8's. :)