PDA

View Full Version : Remote societies' hair care

nowxisxforever
June 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM
EDIT: If urine on your body squicks you out, here's your forewarning to skip this thread. :]

Sooo, I was watching Worlds Apart on Hulu... they took a family from Detroit - a very special, um... hyper-scheduled family from Detroit - and stuck them with a family in the middle of "nowhere" (comparatively) in Peru.

The ladies all look to have long hair, and the host mother was mentioning that they save their urine to wash their hair. The visiting family is highly unenthused by this, as you might imagine, but I think it's pretty interesting. I mean, it makes sense... the urine is definitely sterile, and I suppose it would dry out any oils left over... similar to using vinegar perhaps for us.

I figure, since this bunch is a tad more open-minded with their hair care, that others might be interested in finding out what more remote societies use for their hair. After all, we went on about the Bog peoples' hair for *how* long? ;)

So, does anyone know of any other different things like this, and what do you think about... erm, washing hair with pee? Share!

Debra83
June 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM
In the Clan of the Cave Bear book series, I remember being totally shocked when after a long winter the heroine used the pee she collected to rinse her hair. YUCK!!!

RancheroTheBee
June 1st, 2009, 02:04 AM
Actually, I just watched 1900s house and Frontier House, reality shows where they make families exist as they would in another time period.

The woman on 1900s House tries washing her hair with whiskey and eggs, and then broke down and bought some shampoo (which she later put down the drain.) On Frontier House, they had no option but to wash in the stream.

Re: Pee - EWWWWW. Sorry. But ew.

Aditi
June 1st, 2009, 02:09 AM
I don't think washing hair with pee is EWWW or something, afterall its my own body part. I know everyone will call me crazy but i apply my first morning pee on my face regularly and since then i have not seen any signs of pimples, blackheads or acnes.

nowxisxforever
June 1st, 2009, 02:36 AM
I don't think washing hair with pee is EWWW or something, afterall its my own body part. I know everyone will call me crazy but i apply my first morning pee on my face regularly and since then i have not seen any signs of pimples, blackheads or acnes.

It really does make sense, although it's a little squicky to me. There's really no reason *not* to use it, when it comes down to it. I don't think it makes you crazy at all :) If it works, use it! Hehe :)

EvaSimone
June 1st, 2009, 02:43 AM
Urine is sterile when it's inside the body but it can pick up bacteria when it passes through the entrance/exit of the urethra and genitalia... so I personally don't think it's all that clean. :twocents:

Especially if it's collected and stored for a few days... I don't even want to think of the colonies of bacteria that could grow. :shudder:

Thinthondiel
June 1st, 2009, 02:53 AM
I don't think I'll ever rinse my hair with urine, but I definitely don't think it sounds really gross either... if it's sterile enough to clean wounds with, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with putting it in your hair (or anywhere else on your body). So Aditi, I don't think you're crazy. :)

Aditi
June 1st, 2009, 02:54 AM
It really does make sense, although it's a little squicky to me. There's really no reason *not* to use it, when it comes down to it. I don't think it makes you crazy at all :) If it works, use it! Hehe :)
Thanks :). Previously there has been a thread about the using of pee, i can't seem to find it i have to dig much deeper. I will post the link when i find it.

nowxisxforever
June 1st, 2009, 02:56 AM
Thanks :). Previously there has been a thread about the using of pee, i can't seem to find it i have to dig much deeper. I will post the link when i find it.

Yeah- if you can find that, link it, it sounds interesting!

Heidi_234
June 1st, 2009, 02:57 AM
Sorry to join the EWW crew, but I'd rather not wash my hair at all, than wash it with pee. Long time ago people did just fine with no shampoos or conditioners, I bet nothing really changed. If I'm to come down to a point where I have only my own pee to wash my hair with, my hair would be the least of my worries. :shudder:

Dianyla
June 1st, 2009, 03:01 AM
Urea in urine will eventually break down into ammonium, which is a degreaser. Although it's also a bleaching agent, so I don't know if I'd want to use it on my hair for that reason. :twocents:

Aditi
June 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
Ok i finally find the link http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12107&highlight=Urine. It's not about the hair but applying pee on face.

kdaniels8811
June 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
I remember that thread, it had products with urea in them for hair care. Urea is basically urine or a major component of. Which actually is pretty good for your hair and skin, if I recall correctly. Sorry, it is early and my brain is not remembering the article 100%.

ilovelonghair
June 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
Urine is sterile when it's inside the body but it can pick up bacteria when it passes through the entrance/exit of the urethra and genitalia... so I personally don't think it's all that clean.

I don't think it's that sterile, what if you have UTI? LOL

ChloeDharma
June 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM
Reading this thread got me thinking about piddle......not something i imagined i'd be doing but hey ho, anyway, my instant reaction was to imagine i'd vomit trying to use it.....but then i asked myself if i'd be tempted if pee gave me superfast growth and thickened my hair up and gave me an anagen phase long enough to get ankle length hair.
In all honesty i have to say that i would be tempted.....but i still don't know if i could actualy bring myself to do it. It would need to give me those kind of amazing results guaranteed before i could be tempted though.
Interesting thread :)

EvaSimone
June 1st, 2009, 04:21 AM
I don't think it's that sterile, what if you have UTI? LOL

Obviously if you have bacteria from an infection inside of your kidneys/urethra then your urine isn't sterile. For a normal, healthy person the urine is sterile until it exits the body. Once it exits then it will pick up bacteria.

Blue Willow
June 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM
It's hard to imagine something so beneficial your body is producing is excreted but it wouldnt surprise me either:rolleyes:..but would I go there if itd make my hair grow fast & beautiful?.. nooooooo :eek:

desertgirl
June 1st, 2009, 04:50 AM
Hi,
There is a tribe here that the men use cow urine in their hair as a way of bleaching it out in the sun. I hear it's considered attractive and desirable. But then again they are a tribe that REALLY values cows; it's their livelihood.

I can't think of any other stories I've heard of more remote peoples. I have learned a lot here about the uses of oil and cream on hair, but I live in the city and get more of the mainstream information.

ilovelonghair
June 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Obviously if you have bacteria from an infection inside of your kidneys/urethra then your urine isn't sterile. For a normal, healthy person the urine is sterile until it exits the body. Once it exits then it will pick up bacteria.

I was just joking :D (suffering from UTI at the moment makes me want to joke about it hehe)

cindy58
June 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
I don't find that thought very a-pee-ling.

Loviatar
June 2nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hey, I'd rather use mine than someone else's... :scared:

If I was on Frontier House or whatever I'd go water-only.

Calista
June 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
I don´t think urine is eeewww per se. I´d put urine on my face, no problem. But for washing your hair you would need litres and litres of it, so the sheer amount would kind of gross me out.

Which doesn´t mean I wouldn´t try it in a pinch. :lol:

wintersun99
June 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM

SHELIAANN1969
June 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I don't think I would want to use it and leave it on my hair. I don't flush my toilet every single time, to save water. I know that if the pee sits there, even in a pool of water, it starts to smell very bad. I would certainly not want to associate my hair with that smell.

I would rather do a sebum only or dance in the rain than to use pee as a rinse, I don't like the smell. :shrug:

Now, if it were a *pre-rinse* and then it would be completely washed away afterwards, maybe. That is a huge maybe, there would have to be some major growth or strength going on to get me to pour pee all over my head.

Darkhorse1
June 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm sure in remote areas, that makes sense. It probably keeps bugs away etc, but since I have the ability to buy shampoo, I'll stick to that ;)

I have Frontier House and one of the mom's made a rinse to use in her hair. They never said what it was, but it shows that I'm sure people experimented with different products they had access to to clean their hair.

Pixna
June 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
I don't find that thought very a-pee-ling.

ROFL!!!!!! :gabigrin:

Runzel
June 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
I lived in a reomote African villege (the nearest road was over 40 miles away, no outsider had ever lived there, no electricity or running water, etc) for four years, and there way of life was as yet untouched by the western world. For hair and body care they were pretty much "no water", as in, nothing. :rolleyes:

But I don't think they were uncaring about it, for example, it was common to see women braiding each other's hair, and as for cleanliness you never ate with your left hand, since the left hand was alway used for....dirty stuff. :rolleyes: They were not an unclean people, they just had different standards than the Western world. :)

ETA: of course, this was just one remote people's traditions...just two miles over there was a completely different people of a totally different language who casually made their own soap for laundry use. I find the different cultures and traditions fascinating.

ginalaurie
June 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
This is a little off topic but I used to go to an acupunturist who drank her own urine often. She believed that it had medicinal qualities. She said that you have to be careful though that you don't overdose on any medications that you're taking because you'll be taking back into your body the amount that you normally excrete. She never did convince me to try this and I'm not sure anyone could convince me to try putting it on my hair. Maybe if I diluted it a lot and I knew it'd give me fabulous result someone could talk me into it.

GlassEyes
June 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Ehhhhh...

I'm fairly open-minded, and the idea still kind of skeeves me out. However, it seems like a good option for outside-modern-culture societies, and probably does have pretty good elements to it. Since it's sterile, it might keep away scalp fungi.

I don't think I could do it though. xD; I'll stick to my odd-enough-for-society CO washing. XD; If it turned out to be some uber miracle hairgrowth-shine-ultra-super-amazing-magic potion for hair though, I -may- try it.

Still. *twitch*

Edit: That said, if they sold conditioner that DID contain urine as an ingredient, and it worked, what the hell? I've already used bloody placenta on my head; can't get more crazy than that. I'm just none too fond of the smell. XD; But straight urine, feck no.

bakertwins2004
June 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
I just read the thread on using it for the face. It was pretty interesting. Not sure I'm sold on it. But fresh urine from a hydrated healthy person probally would not be so bad. If it sat around then it may be a different tale.

Flynn
June 3rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Makes sense to me, but I wouldn't do it. People would recognise that smell...

lizzyjo
June 3rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
I'm all for "natural living" and all that, but this just grosses me out. Urine, although sterile, is a waste product. Plus, it smells. And drinking it, why would you want to put back into your body what your body expelled because it couldn't use it?

However, you could make a ton of money by selling the stuff to unsuspecting customers who want a new skin care regime. "Lizzyjo's all-natural face toner, unlike anything you've ever tried. URINE for a suprise!" hahaha

Flynn
June 3rd, 2009, 02:03 AM
And drinking it, why would you want to put back into your body what your body expelled because it couldn't use it?

Wait, what, who's drinking it? Doesn't that give you kidney stones? Haah?

AuntyClaus
June 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
URINE for a suprise!" hahaha

:D

If they used it the way I use vinegar, rinsing it out, maybe. But leaving it to ferment? Oh golly no.

Anje
June 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
I guess I can see that, but I tend to think of urine as containing ammonia and therefore being rather basic. Good degreaser, but I'd think it would make hair tangle more (like baking soda). Wikipedia says it's normally around pH 7, though, and normally ranges from 4.5 to 8.

All things being equal, I'd rather go with WO. That said, since I started peeing in the shower, I haven't had athlete's foot!

getoffmyskittle
June 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
I'm absolutely squicked out by this. I can usually talk myself out of being squicked out by things that general society considers gross, but when it comes to waste products... eeeeeeeuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Although I'd probably put it on my face if it would get rid of acne and I had no other options. Because, vanity.

Merlin
June 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
But for washing your hair you would need litres and litres of it, so the sheer amount would kind of gross me out.

threadjack

When you've stood on the side of the road, next to the steam-enveloped delivery van, with a blown water pump, your co-worker, and an old milk bottle. You look at the radiator and realise that actually, you don't produce that much....

/threadjack

EvaSimone
June 4th, 2009, 03:45 AM
This is a little off topic but I used to go to an acupunturist who drank her own urine often. She believed that it had medicinal qualities. She said that you have to be careful though that you don't overdose on any medications that you're taking because you'll be taking back into your body the amount that you normally excrete. She never did convince me to try this and I'm not sure anyone could convince me to try putting it on my hair. Maybe if I diluted it a lot and I knew it'd give me fabulous result someone could talk me into it.

Drinking urine can also cause gout... it has uric acid and it will crystallize and build up into a very painful inflammation.

Hopefully that will never happen to her.

desertgirl
June 4th, 2009, 04:24 AM
ROFLOL... that's hillarious

ginalaurie
June 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Drinking urine can also cause gout... it has uric acid and it will crystallize and build up into a very painful inflammation.

Hopefully that will never happen to her.

Ouch! I hope so, too. I haven't seen her in several years. Acupuncture didn't work that well on me so I quit going after about 6 months. She had suffered a stroke and was really into investigating alternative treatments. Of course, urine-drinking seems like "alternative extreme" to me.

enfys
June 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I saw a programme called Extreme Male Beauty, where every week the presenter tried out a technique to improve his looks and to create the "ideal" body.

When it was the week of the face, and he went to an alternative therapies woman who told him to swab his face with widdle and drink a glass of it every day, he was gagging, barfing and retching as he tried to. When she found out hiswife wouldn't go near him even though his face looked better.

I couldn't do it. Wee comes out for a reason, and it smells. Not always too bad, but bad enough. What if the small sticks? After my hair dries I can smell rosemary on it, which is nice.

CO, WO, that stuff's fine, but UO is something I couldn't bring myself to do.

MadHatter
June 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I find the notion disgusting...

Fractalsofhair
June 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Urine creeps me out, even though it's sterile and all. At least on my face that is. I don't think I'd have much of an issue with "family cloth" for urine, but the smell if I left it in my hair would creep me out I think. I don't flush my toilet but once every 1-2 days(unless I have a bowel movement, in which case I flush it daily unless I am ill, which then I flush it after use, or if I have guests(flush after use)). It does start to smell a little bit if I use the toilet though by the end of the 2nd day. They did have soap in the 1800s! (and for most of human history...) However, if it works for someone, and doesn't smell like urine, that's great! It's free! XD

Runzel
June 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I cannot help but notice the similarity between these comments and those posted (http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/04/23/2725986-ditching-shampoo-a-dirty-little-beauty-secret#comments) on the recently linked (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26800) MSNBC article on no-pooing (CO, baking soda/vinegar rinse, etc). Namely these two themes:

"That's disgusting!"

"It would stink."

Now, we don't like it when people make such assumptions about our unorthodox hair care, so why do we so easily turn around and do the same thing to other people?

Urea, a component of urine, has many commercial uses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Further_commercial_uses), and chances are you've used it many times without even knowing it. Among the most interesting to me were:
A browing agent in factory-produced pretzels
An ingredient in some hair conditioners, facial cleansers, bath oils, and lotions
An ingredient in many tooth-whitening products
A cream to soften the skin, especially cracked skin on the bottom of one's feet
An ingredient in dish soapOf course there's also its medical use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Medical_use), which includes "topical dermatological products to promote rehydration of the skin." It's also used clinically to help remove earwax.

So you've probably used urea before and enjoyed its benefits without knowing what it was. For all of you shuddering, don't worry--it was synthetically produced just for you! :D

Now it's perfectly understandable that some people would much rather use the synthetic product that is more refined and can no longer be classified as bodily waste, but others who cannot afford that luxury might want to use a more natural (and cheap) product. Do your research before drawing conclusions...you just might be surprised. :) And from what I've read, it no longer smells once it is dry, in much the same way that a leave-in vinegar rinse is no longer detectable once the hair dries.

Again, we don't like it when people make these assumptions about our own practices; let’s break the cycle and treat others' ideas with the same open-mindedness that we would have appreciated. :)

Fractalsofhair
June 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Yep, if it works for a person who uses it, that's great! I'd rather use it than human feces, which do have a smell instantly!(Now a bird poop facial, IDK.) It's just not something I think I could stand to do, with my own urine. And I don't think I could stand touching other people's waste products. If it gave amazing results and I used it just as a rinse finishing with water, I'd probably be on with it. I just don't think I'd want to finish washing my hair with anything BUT water or oil.

pepperedmoth
June 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm a nurse, so handling urine, pouring urine, etc., is part of my daily life . . . and I tend to be very open to things like this . . . I've been CO, I've been WO, I toyed with NW/SO . . . but this is way, way, WAY beyond my comfort zone.

SQUICK!

FWIW, I think there's realms of difference between not washing hair (as in NW/SO) and applying a bodily excretion to it . . .

Runzel
June 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm a nurse, so handling urine, pouring urine, etc., is part of my daily life . . . and I tend to be very open to things like this . . . I've been CO, I've been WO, I toyed with NW/SO . . . but this is way, way, WAY beyond my comfort zone.

SQUICK!

FWIW, I think there's realms of difference between not washing hair (as in NW/SO) and applying a bodily excretion to it . . .

My point is that we probably already do, just in a more "refined" manner, which includes eating it and applying it to our teeth.

missmandy
June 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Ugh. I don't think I could bring myself to put PEE on my head. *shudders* Wouldn't it smell, too? Ick.

Cinnamon Hair
June 4th, 2009, 08:42 PM
...and what do you think about... erm, washing hair with pee? Share!

Yes it is sterile but there's still no way I could wash my hair with pee. That would involve pouring pee over my head. My hair touches my face and many other parts of me. I'd just feel incredibly dirty.

ETA: I have read "urea" in the ingredients list of several products and I still used them. But it's just not the same as pouring my own pee on my head. No...can't do it.

Also, for those of you who take hormones, the pill for estrogen is made from the urine of a pregnant horse.

invisiblebabe
June 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM
"Lizzyjo's all-natural face toner, unlike anything you've ever tried. URINE for a suprise!" hahaha

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cricket1
June 5th, 2009, 12:38 AM
In the Clan of the Cave Bear book series, I remember being totally shocked when after a long winter the heroine used the pee she collected to rinse her hair. YUCK!!!
eee!! *squeals* i know this is off topic, but i luv that series!:crush:

ktani
June 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I read a History of Cosmetics book years ago, that referred to urine bing recommended for women to wash their faces with, in England, in a specific time period, that I do not offhand recall (except that it was long ago).

I also remember hearing about a American Vietnam prisoner of war, who peed on a wound he had while a prisoner, to keep it from becoming infected.

The acidity of urine depends on one's diet and health.

My reaction to all of this is that it is beyond my comfort zone as well but my doctor did tell me years ago that barring a urinary infection, urine is sterile.

While they are interesting concepts, using urine medicinally or cosmetically (and I respect different cultures and their traditions), I will definiely pass on both applications.

enfys
June 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I cannot help but notice the similarity between these comments and those posted (http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/04/23/2725986-ditching-shampoo-a-dirty-little-beauty-secret#comments) on the recently linked (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26800) MSNBC article on no-pooing (CO, baking soda/vinegar rinse, etc). Namely these two themes:

"That's disgusting!"

"It would stink."

Now, we don't like it when people make such assumptions about our unorthodox hair care, so why do we so easily turn around and do the same thing to other people?

Urea, a component of urine, has many commercial uses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Further_commercial_uses), and chances are you've used it many times without even knowing it. Among the most interesting to me were:
A browing agent in factory-produced pretzels
An ingredient in some hair conditioners, facial cleansers, bath oils, and lotions
An ingredient in many tooth-whitening products
A cream to soften the skin, especially cracked skin on the bottom of one's feet
An ingredient in dish soapOf course there's also its medical use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Medical_use), which includes "topical dermatological products to promote rehydration of the skin." It's also used clinically to help remove earwax.

So you've probably used urea before and enjoyed its benefits without knowing what it was. For all of you shuddering, don't worry--it was synthetically produced just for you! :D

Now it's perfectly understandable that some people would much rather use the synthetic product that is more refined and can no longer be classified as bodily waste, but others who cannot afford that luxury might want to use a more natural (and cheap) product. Do your research before drawing conclusions...you just might be surprised. :) And from what I've read, it no longer smells once it is dry, in much the same way that a leave-in vinegar rinse is no longer detectable once the hair dries.

Again, we don't like it when people make these assumptions about our own practices; let’s break the cycle and treat others' ideas with the same open-mindedness that we would have appreciated. :)

Pee *does* smell when it's dry. I have a very weak bladder, enough said.

Also, the fact that it's in tooth whitening products and was used by the Tudors to bleach bedding doesn't make it any more appealing for a brunette who'll do anything to not lighten her hair.

Pee is a waste product and I don't care where gravity lets it go while I'm the shower but it is *not* going on my face or hair. It's not the same as no-pooing in my book.

Merlin
June 7th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I've just been to a public science event at which one of the presenters just drunk his own wee in front of a live audience of about 300 adults and children. Now that really got a reaction!

Runzel
June 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Pee *does* smell when it's dry. I have a very weak bladder, enough said.

Fair enough. But the method I was referring to was skin application, in which case the urine appears to soak into the skin and not leave a smell behind beyond evaporation time. It may be different with fabrics where the smell-causing stuff stays out in the open. I don't really know why, to be honest. But I did read pages of reports from people on how they were certain it would smell and were then surprised that it didn't. It seems very similar to people thinking that no-pooing would certainly cause a smell. I'm just saying...we don't like people assuming that the practice of no-pooing would make us stinky, therefore, let's not assume that anyone applying pee to their skin would make them stinky. :) Many indicated that they had not told anyone of their newfound beauty product and not once had they received any complaints about a smell or any hints that other people noticed the difference, beyond compliments that their skin was looking better. :D Even spouses and close family members didn't appear to notice any odor.

swanns
June 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
This isn't anything pee-related (:D) but since the topic is Remote societies' hair care...

When I went to Namibia two years ago we went to see the Himba tribe one day. While their men dress in Western clothes, their women still wear the traditional clothes made of cow skins and stuff and do their hair in all different ways depending on their age and social status.

Uploaded all my Himba pictures just for you to see! They're here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Sammal/Himba%20hair/ (Uncovered breasts in some pictures.)

The eventual hairstyle for them are the long dread-looking tubes that are actually made of clay, and the hair you see at the bottom is from cows' tails if I remember correctly.

Thinthondiel
June 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I've just been to a public science event at which one of the presenters just drunk his own wee in front of a live audience of about 300 adults and children. Now that really got a reaction!

I was once at a very disturbing play where some of the actors (men) peed in glasses and drank it all (that was far from the only disturbing thing in the play, but it was the only thing somewhat relevant to this thread). And to think that they did that every night they performed... shudder:

feralnature
June 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I would use pee on a jellyfish sting or such. But not on my hair.

Anje
June 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Also, for those of you who take hormones, the pill for estrogen is made from the urine of a pregnant horse.

Ah yes... Premarin. Short for Pregnant mare urine.
Rather makes me pity the horses they collect it from...

I'm pretty open minded, but if I get pee in my hair (or face, or whatever), I intend to at least rinse it off!

wintersun99
June 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Nypsy
June 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I tried it! I have to admit it was a little gross, and I could smell it while it was on my hair, but after I rinsed it out and did an ACV rinse, I couldn't smell it at all. It left my hair pretty dry and my roots also still seem a little oily to me, so it isn't the greatest method of washing to me. I might try it again and see how it goes. Here is a picture of how my hair looked after it dried http://i40.tinypic.com/2ps2kv9.jpg

nowxisxforever
June 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
This isn't anything pee-related (:D) but since the topic is Remote societies' hair care...

When I went to Namibia two years ago we went to see the Himba tribe one day. While their men dress in Western clothes, their women still wear the traditional clothes made of cow skins and stuff and do their hair in all different ways depending on their age and social status.

Uploaded all my Himba pictures just for you to see! They're here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Sammal/Himba%20hair/ (Uncovered breasts in some pictures.)

The eventual hairstyle for them are the long dread-looking tubes that are actually made of clay, and the hair you see at the bottom is from cows' tails if I remember correctly.

How interesting! That's very cool how they did their hair up. I imagine it would help keep the scalp cool while not walking around bald, hehe. :) I am curious why the women wore traditional clothing and the men did not, though.

nowxisxforever
June 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I tried it! I have to admit it was a little gross, and I could smell it while it was on my hair, but after I rinsed it out and did an ACV rinse, I couldn't smell it at all. It left my hair pretty dry and my roots also still seem a little oily to me, so it isn't the greatest method of washing to me. I might try it again and see how it goes. Here is a picture of how my hair looked after it dried http://i40.tinypic.com/2ps2kv9.jpg

You actually tried it? Awesome! You've got guts, girl! It looks pretty good too. I've been toying with doing the skin thing, since I break out a lot on my shoulders and back... my face generally is a'ok. I haven't worked up the nerve though.

Honestwitness
June 8th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks to everyone who contributed such interesting material on urine, urea, and hair care practices of remote societies. I'm planning on sticking with shampoo and conditioner, because I am much too narrow minded to even consider putting pee in my hair or on my face.

Having said that, however, I will confess one disgusting habit I do have. I regularly enjoy eating bee vomit on my granola and in my tea.

*wink*

Bene
June 8th, 2009, 10:32 PM
i pee in the shower (yeah, i admit it!), so technically i pee on my feet (hey, it rinses off!), but you know, when you wash your hair sometimes you don't rinse everything out. i don't think i could do the pee in the hair thing. yeah yeah yeah, it's sterile, i knowwwwwwwww.

kudos to those who do, though.

Krystyle
June 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
You know, I was wondering about this earlier. I'm reading a book called The Metabolic Typing Diet, in which it is discussed how people of remote areas eat only what is indeginous to their area and so they have no health problems whatsoever. It is even said that people of those areas don't even have acne. My interest is piqued. If we can adjust our diets to eat only what our ancestors ate or what our body type (determined by our lineage) needs, I was was wondering how our hair would change. Right now, mine sheds uncontrollably. I'm still reading and can't wait to get to the chapter that helps you figure out your own type. Heck, I may even skip to it.

florenonite
June 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks to everyone who contributed such interesting material on urine, urea, and hair care practices of remote societies. I'm planning on sticking with shampoo and conditioner, because I am much too narrow minded to even consider putting pee in my hair or on my face.

Having said that, however, I will confess one disgusting habit I do have. I regularly enjoy eating bee vomit on my granola and in my tea.

*wink*

Hehe, that took me a moment to figure out!

You know, I was wondering about this earlier. I'm reading a book called The Metabolic Typing Diet, in which it is discussed how people of remote areas eat only what is indeginous to their area and so they have no health problems whatsoever. It is even said that people of those areas don't even have acne. My interest is piqued. If we can adjust our diets to eat only what our ancestors ate or what our body type (determined by our lineage) needs, I was was wondering how our hair would change. Right now, mine sheds uncontrollably. I'm still reading and can't wait to get to the chapter that helps you figure out your own type. Heck, I may even skip to it.

I'd be interested in trying this, but I'm almost certain my ancestors ate meat, and I've been a vegetarian for years and don't think I could go back to eating meat.

I imagine, though, a lot of North Americans would have difficulty finding out with enough accuracy their type far enough back. Even I, a more or less wholly Scottish person, have got English blood as close as a few generations ago, and almost certainly some Viking blood. And even within those boundaries there's different ancestries, and people were trading foodstuffs by the middle ages (in England probably before, during the Roman Empire's time), so they weren't just eating indigenous food. I dunno, it sounded good in theory until I thought about it a bit more. Maybe if you're from a group indigenous to Australia or North America, places untouched by others until relatively recently, it would work, but for anyone of European heritage, I'd think it impossible :shrug:

Nypsy
June 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
You actually tried it? Awesome! You've got guts, girl! It looks pretty good too. I've been toying with doing the skin thing, since I break out a lot on my shoulders and back... my face generally is a'ok. I haven't worked up the nerve though.

I've been doing it on my face for almost a week now. It works amazingly well. It doesn't only clear up acne, but it makes your skin glow like crazy!

viking_quest
June 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I've been doing it on my face for almost a week now. It works amazingly well. It doesn't only clear up acne, but it makes your skin glow like crazy!

I've been using it on my face for a week as well. Acne is still there but I agree on the glowing. It's like my face shines.

nowxisxforever
June 9th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I've been using it on my face for a week as well. Acne is still there but I agree on the glowing. It's like my face shines.

I think I'm going to try this on my body acne before trying it on my face. I'm more concerned about it anyway. You girls are making me want to do it!

Have you ladies been using your...first of the morning or mid-day for these results?

Krystyle
June 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hehe, that took me a moment to figure out!

I'd be interested in trying this, but I'm almost certain my ancestors ate meat, and I've been a vegetarian for years and don't think I could go back to eating meat.

I imagine, though, a lot of North Americans would have difficulty finding out with enough accuracy their type far enough back. Even I, a more or less wholly Scottish person, have got English blood as close as a few generations ago, and almost certainly some Viking blood. And even within those boundaries there's different ancestries, and people were trading foodstuffs by the middle ages (in England probably before, during the Roman Empire's time), so they weren't just eating indigenous food. I dunno, it sounded good in theory until I thought about it a bit more. Maybe if you're from a group indigenous to Australia or North America, places untouched by others until relatively recently, it would work, but for anyone of European heritage, I'd think it impossible :shrug:

The further I delve into this book, they talk more about the scientific side of it too. They've realized that there are too many mixed heritage people to make it that simple so they have come up with a test to help you determine what is better for your own body. People are broken down into three categories, fast oxidizers, slow oxidizers and then one that's somewhere in between. It basically helps you understand how food reacts with your body. Eat what makes you feel good is what it all basically seems to be boiling down to not just what feels good to your mouth. That's why diets like Atkins are better for some people and not others while vegetarianism works better for some and not others. I'm biracial so I know using my lineage to determine my best diet would be a difficult task, but instead I'll try harder to understand how my body reacts to certain foods. I'm excited really.

Krystyle
June 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I think I'm going to try this on my body acne before trying it on my face. I'm more concerned about it anyway. You girls are making me want to do it!

Have you ladies been using your...first of the morning or mid-day for these results?

Is there anything else you've tried on your body acne? I have it bad and don't know what to do about it.

angelakeats
June 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Urine is full of Ammonia.
Urine is what your body doesn't want inside.

nowxisxforever
June 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Is there anything else you've tried on your body acne? I have it bad and don't know what to do about it.

Generally I just ignore it. It comes and goes, but never goes away completely. I figure, my boyfriend doesn't mind it and it doesn't bother me overmuch, though it would be nice to be able to wear short-sleeved shirts... I have it on my upper arms and on my back. The best thing I ever did for my face was only use water on it, no soaps, so I figure doing the same for my back may eventually do something. I'm just trying this thing because it's so easy and it's worth a try.

Thinthondiel
June 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Hmmm. If I were to eat what's indigenous to my area, I'd be eating reindeer, moose, fish, hare, birds (like grouse and black grouse), eggs and berries. There are also lots of other birds as well foxes and lynxes in the area as well, but I hardly think of them as food. In any case, I'd have one heck of a protein-rich diet (especially since the berries only grow in the autumn).

Seems to me I'd get very few vitamins this way... although I actually seem to be able to stay healthy even when I don't get a lot of vitamins. I hated all vegetables (except raw carrots) until a couple of years ago, and then I suddenly started liking almost all veggies. But even before I started eating veggies I still stayed healthy and strong (moreso than my friends - I have good genes and a very good immune system).

florenonite
June 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
The further I delve into this book, they talk more about the scientific side of it too. They've realized that there are too many mixed heritage people to make it that simple so they have come up with a test to help you determine what is better for your own body. People are broken down into three categories, fast oxidizers, slow oxidizers and then one that's somewhere in between. It basically helps you understand how food reacts with your body. Eat what makes you feel good is what it all basically seems to be boiling down to not just what feels good to your mouth. That's why diets like Atkins are better for some people and not others while vegetarianism works better for some and not others. I'm biracial so I know using my lineage to determine my best diet would be a difficult task, but instead I'll try harder to understand how my body reacts to certain foods. I'm excited really.

Ah, that makes more sense. It sounds like an interesting read; thanks for the info!

Nypsy
June 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM

My first morning and at night. I leave it on from 5 minutes to an hour.

nowxisxforever
June 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM
My first morning and at night. I leave it on from 5 minutes to an hour.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Edit- What's so good about the first morning? Anyone know?

Honestwitness
June 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
First-morning urine is less diluted...more concentrated.

viking_quest
June 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I use morning and night but I leave it on and don't wash it off. No smell, no problem.

Runzel
June 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
You know, I was wondering about this earlier. I'm reading a book called The Metabolic Typing Diet, in which it is discussed how people of remote areas eat only what is indeginous to their area and so they have no health problems whatsoever. It is even said that people of those areas don't even have acne. My interest is piqued.

That certainly is an interesting theory. However, in the remote area I was living in (very remote, we were the first "whiteman" there, the first to attempt to write down their language, etc...) they had no discernable western influence at that time, excepting perhaps the introduction of corn which happened when corn was "discovered" in the New World and became a bit hit overseas.

Anyway, these people were pretty much as remote as it gets, and they had many, many, many health problems. Though they had enough food to eat, all the children's bellies were distended out of proportion from malnutrition. :( Their main diet was fufu made from casava and a sauce made of extremely hot peppers and a few herbs. Plantains, smoked corn on the cob, and the occasional protein was the rest of it. These people were starved for protein, and hunted rats and snakes quite passionately just to bring home a little meat. The large game had been hunted to extinction long before we came, so these people stuffed themselves with fufu 6 times a day (each person eating a huge mound of it) just to begin to feel full.

I don't think I truly understood the state of deficiency they lived in until we once had a man over to our house and he ate a home-cooked "western" meal with us. A week later or so he came by and said, "When I eat your food, I can walk a whole day without stopping to eat! When I eat our food, I have to stop and eat again within a few hours."

I know this whole thing is a little off-topic for this thread (sorry!) but I just wanted to address this issue because it's so easy to make false idealizations about "untouched" people groups, especially because the ones who are truly isolated are the ones we have the least information on!

Gulbahar
June 10th, 2009, 06:40 AM
That certainly is an interesting theory. However, in the remote area I was living in (very remote, we were the first "whiteman" there, the first to attempt to write down their language, etc...) they had no discernable western influence at that time, excepting perhaps the introduction of corn which happened when corn was "discovered" in the New World and became a bit hit overseas.

Anyway, these people were pretty much as remote as it gets, and they had many, many, many health problems. Though they had enough food to eat, all the children's bellies were distended out of proportion from malnutrition. :( Their main diet was fufu made from casava and a sauce made of extremely hot peppers and a few herbs. Plantains, smoked corn on the cob, and the occasional protein was the rest of it. These people were starved for protein, and hunted rats and snakes quite passionately just to bring home a little meat. The large game had been hunted to extinction long before we came, so these people stuffed themselves with fufu 6 times a day (each person eating a huge mound of it) just to begin to feel full.
Still far from the actual subject ..... but these people were definitely not untouched. No-one is anymore. The fact alone that they eat corn (very poor in protein) is enough as the introduction of corn is one of the reasons for lack of protein in African nutrition nowadays. If they really ate cassava and not yams, the former being likewise imported from America, then there is even less of protein in their diet.
Even the seemingly untouched African peoples don't live like they used to do two hundred or more years ago. They have been pushed out of their territories, they don't have enough room anymore. They used to hunt, but there are no wild animals anymore or not enough or they live in some national park. No, there is no untouched people in Africa anymore. :o

Back to topic: the women of the Hamer people in southern Ethiopia use butter and red clay on their hair. They are soooo beautiful!
http://www.transafrika.org/media/Bilder%20Aethiopien/hamer%20suedaethiopien.jpg

The men do this helmet-like clay construction with their hair and decorate it with feathers and stuff. Totally great:
http://img6.travelblog.org/Photos/75038/377342/t/3509802-Hair-decorations--Hamer-men-0.jpg

liseling
June 10th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Urine is full of Ammonia.
Urine is what your body doesn't want inside.

Mammals do not secrete ammonia as such. Their bodies (our bodies) synthesize urea, instead, out of their nitrogenous wastes. The body does this because urea is not toxic like ammonia or other, more reactive, nitrogen based compounds and therefore is easier for the body to store and deal with.

In fact, because amino acids are also nitrogen compounds, the bodies of mammals, fish, birds, and reptiles sometimes re-process the nitrogenous waste (urea in urine in the case of mammals) in order to salvage the nitrogen and use it in the synthesis of amino acids (which I'm sure everyone knows are essential to cell function).

When you look at it this way the "urine = waste = disgusting" thing seems much less black and white. We excrete urine in order to get rid of nitrogen waste, yes, but our bodies also need nitrogen and sometimes use and break down urea molecules to get it. I can understand not liking the smell etc (and I still dont think I'd start using urine in my personal care if something else worked just as well) but urine is not some dirty thing that we must polarize ourselves from (unless it's stale and sitting around growing bacteria - just like anything else). That's culture and society talking.:p