PDA

View Full Version : U, V or Blunt?

LadyEliza
May 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
I always think that a blunt cut makes hair look longer. Something about shorter sides seems to drag my eyes up and makes the hair look shorter.

However, I really like a gentle, not too steep U shape too.

What do you have, and why?

Brat
May 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
I like a U. To me, it's much more pleasing to look at than something straight across. Like there's a line the hair stops at. I guess I think a U looks more 'natural.'

Speckla
May 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
I have a blunt cut right now because I've never had one before. I typically go for V or U to minimize volume. I now want to see what my hair would look like with a blunt end.

manderly
May 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
I like a U. To me, it's much more pleasing to look at than something straight across. Like there's a line the hair stops at. I guess I think a U looks more 'natural.'

Agreed :)...

GoddesJourney
May 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
I'm going to have to agree. The U shape is by far the most natural looking cut. I had one pretty much my whole life (meaning, as much as I remember) but I got tired of it and decided to go with the V. I think the V looks kind of sexy, and it suits both men and women. The straight cut probably wouldn't look that great on me. I think it would widen the look of an already wide set of shoulders and upper back, compared to the waist (for a woman) and I'm a little short. It looks great on other people though. I think it looks really nice on stick straight hair.

neon-dream
May 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Mine was a V but is currently a U but i'm growing out to a straight hemline :)
Because I like change!

Carolyn
May 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM
I like either a gentle U shape or a straight across blunt cut on my 1C almost straight hair. I think I get a nicer braid tassel with a blunt cut. I'm not fond of a V shape on my hair type.

shadowclaw
May 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have a blunt cut for a variety of reasons. For one, it's easier for my mom to cut than a U or V. I prefer to have her cut it over a hairdresser, because she does exactly what I tell her with little comment. Second, I had a V cut for a while, but it seemed like my hair broke off more easily and it became uneven after a while. A blunt cut also makes styling easier for me. Braids tend to be difficult with a V cut. I've never had a U cut, but I think I wouldn't mind having one. They are very natural-looking, as others have said.

Tap Dancer
May 31st, 2009, 05:35 PM
The only hemline I like is a U.

Ponytale
May 31st, 2009, 05:38 PM
I am with Carolyn for the same reasons she gives. BUT--On thicker hair I like a "U".

Madame J
May 31st, 2009, 06:36 PM
I have a U to help old layers blend in, but I think I'm going to move to a deeper U or a V when I've come close to goal length. I think a well-shaped V hemline approximates the look of fairytales, which is a more aesthetically-pleasing shape to me. I have very thick hair, and had it in a blunt hemline when I used to have long hair, and thought it hung too severely.

Shermie Girl
May 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
I think that all three are lovely to look at but for my hair I prefer a blunt hemline. Always have. I find my hair looks it's best blunt and braids and updos are easier, too. :D

ravenreed
May 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM
I prefer the U hemline.

Curlsgirl
May 31st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I have been trimming my own hair for quite a while and though I use Feye's method, I seem to always come out with a slight U. It's okay but I really prefer the straight across cut on me. I have seen all three kinds look great on others though.

Nat242
May 31st, 2009, 07:48 PM
I agree that a blunt hem can give the illusion of longer hair.

I currently have a 'V' hemline (due to breakage and layers that I'm growing out). I find a little bit of taper at the ends makes updos easier, but when it tapers too much the end of my braid looks too skinny compared to the thickness of my nape. For these reasons I imagine that once I start trimming again I'll aim for a 'U' shape, but I can't say for sure as I've never had hair long enough before to try any of the shapes out!

theshadowpuppet
May 31st, 2009, 07:56 PM
I prefer a U or a straight across... fairytale ends don't appeal to me, personally, in the least.

I accidentally cut my hair into a v while trimming off damage in the front, though.. So when I reach my goal I plan on trimming the ends to grow out damage, but also to thicken up the ends. After that I might grow more. But it's more important for me to have my fine hair look as thick and healthy as possible than for it to be scraggly and a few inches longer.

spidermom
May 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I like a U most, also a V when fairy tale ends form the V, don't like a V-cut, don't like straight across - in general. Some hair looks beautiful no matter the hem because of the color, shine, health, curl - etc.

Nat242
May 31st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Natural 'V's, particularly on curly/wavy hair, are jaw-droppingly gorgeous IMO (such as Mira-Chan's hem) but it's not something that will work on my straight/wavy hair, unfortunately.

mira-chan
May 31st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Natural 'V's, particularly on curly/wavy hair, are jaw-droppingly gorgeous IMO (such as Mira-Chan's hem) but it's not something that will work on my straight/wavy hair, unfortunately.
*uses psychic powers to hear her name typed* :silly:

Thank you! :blushing:
Daeana has a natural V on 1a hair I believe that is gorgeous. So I think it can work just fine on straight hair. :flower:

ETA: I have a V because I generally like to avoid sharp things touching my hair. :p

eyesofsummer
May 31st, 2009, 09:31 PM
I like a "U" best, on myself. It takes out some of the bulk, and I like to have shorter bits around my face to soften updos. Also, my hair gets kind of huge, so a "U" prevents it from getting wider than it is long :rolleyes:

RocketDog
May 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM
I love a V-cut hemline and a few wispy layers on hair with deep waves or good curls. Fairytaled ends are equally amazing- mirachan has one of my most envied heads of hair.

On straighter hair I think a U-hemline is most flattering. I don't like straight hems at all, never have, no matter what hairtype. Different strokes for different folks though, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who hate v-hems or layers!

HairColoredHair
May 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have a V cut, that's how it grows in. I like V cuts and U cuts, though. Blunt looks unnatural and abrupt to me.

AnnaMarie
June 1st, 2009, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure what I have myself, I think its a V, I'll have to check lol.
My favourite is a V because I think it looks romantic and natural. :)

Runzel
June 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
I have a soft V cut, but I'm leaving it to do it's own thing for a while because as of yet I don't have a proper set of cutting shears, I'm not sure what hemline I want, I'm curious to see what fairytale ends look like and no one besides me is going to see my hemline for a while so it doesn't matter much anyway. :D

rogue_psyche
June 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM
Out of those three choices I would say I like U the best, but people can rock any of those. I personally am curious to see how my hair fairytales. It helps that I don't want to trim any time soon.

Debra83
June 1st, 2009, 01:48 AM
I LOVE the straight hemline - to me it seems more natural. I'd never heard of fairytale ends until I joined here though - they are kind of cool too.

Whenever I see a U or V on here (including my own uneven ends), I always imagine what it would like as blunt because to me it would be complete then.

Growing up, NONE of my dolls EVER had anything besides a blunt cut, and neither did all my classmates who had long hair.

brok3nwings
June 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM
I like defenetly the U shape or even a V. I woudnt like straight unless i had shoulder lenght hair...why? cause for me it is more atractive and because it is much more natural (as it has been said)

Heavenly Locks
June 1st, 2009, 02:15 AM
I have a U (see sig). I have that because that's just how it's growing...*shrugs* I would eventually like it a little more shallow, and then on to fairy tale ends...

Niphredil
June 1st, 2009, 02:44 AM
It depends a lot on the hairtype and the length it is at.
On my hair, one-length straight across blunt hemlines look awful. It actually makes my hair look shorter than it is because it looks like a pyramid (see current 6 year sig, 2nd pic from the left) and the width at the bottom gives the illusion of shorter length. A slightly layered U shape takes the bulk out of the length, creating the illusion of longer length, and that is also what I prefer on my own hair. (see 4th pic in current sig)

On stick-straight 1a hair, I do like a straight across blunt hemline because it creates the illusion of fuller and thicker hair, something most people with 1a hair seem to lack. Straight across doesn't look particularly natural to me though, as no one's hair probably will grow like that if it is untouched since birth. On the straighter hairtypes, it does look well kept and cared for.

Nat242
June 1st, 2009, 03:16 AM
*uses psychic powers to hear her name typed* :silly:

Thank you! :blushing:
Daeana has a natural V on 1a hair I believe that is gorgeous. So I think it can work just fine on straight hair. :flower:

ETA: I have a V because I generally like to avoid sharp things touching my hair. :p

That's true - Daeana's 'V' is lovely, and Hair Coloured Hair has a lovely 'V' on straightish hair too.

Snowball
June 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM
I always wanted an U-Cut. But I still have lots of layers, so I recently trimmed an V-Cut and I really like it. However I do microtrimms toward a U-Cut because I hope my fine thin hair will look thicker that way.

Somewhere I read that U- or V-Cuts enhance natural waves so a straight hemline is no choice for me.

HotRag
June 1st, 2009, 04:03 AM
I like a very slight U-shaped hem. I have blunt, cause I can't bring myself to cut extra to get U, and I started with blunt.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM
I always think that a blunt cut makes hair look longer. Something about shorter sides seems to drag my eyes up and makes the hair look shorter.

I have a bit more than gentle U, and have for a long time. Why? Because it's how my hair grows. (It's actually how most people's hair grows.)

Hair around the temples are sides is less volume than the strip down the center in the back. Typically this strip grows the longest. PLUS drawing length over the shoulders means the sides will tend to be shorter, visually.

Not all hair about the head grows in the same volume. This tendency persists as we get older and thin a bit as hair follicles slowly die off.

heidi w.

lora410
June 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
I am a fan of blunt hemline because its easier to trim and to me just looks neater. I always seem to get a U shape from my layers growing in

teela1978
June 1st, 2009, 09:29 AM
I like my U. Sometimes it looks more v-ish depending on how I trim it (sometimes I skip the 2nd step in feye's self-trim method). It generally ends up back at a u-ish shape though.

Wind
June 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM
I prefer a blunt hem on my fine, straight hair. Gives the illusion of thickness. :D

Feye
June 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM
I like a slight U-shape on myself, it agrees with the way my ends wave slightly and makes my hair look thicker.
On other people it depends on the hairtype, style and how it is worn. I can't say that I think that there is one style that suits all. That said, I am very fond of slight U-shapes. It compliments the curves of the body and moves nicely.

MsBubbles
June 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Blunt works best for my hair since it's fine and thin and dead straight. However, since seeing the lovely heads of hair here I have learned to appreciate V hemlines and fairytale ends, where before I was intolerant of them.

Eden Iris
June 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
I would love a gentle U shape, but my hair persists in a V and I don't want to trim off four inches to get rid of it. Maybe someday I'll get there.

Pixna
June 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
It depends a lot on the hairtype and the length it is at.
On my hair, one-length straight across blunt hemlines look awful. It actually makes my hair look shorter than it is because it looks like a pyramid and the width at the bottom gives the illusion of shorter length. A slightly layered U shape takes the bulk out of the length, creating the illusion of longer length, and that is also what I prefer on my own hair.

On stick-straight 1a hair, I do like a straight across blunt hemline because it creates the illusion of fuller and thicker hair, something most people with 1a hair seem to lack. Straight across doesn't look particularly natural to me though, as no one's hair probably will grow like that if it is untouched since birth. On the straighter hairt ypes, it does look well kept and cared for.

I agree on all points. Right now, my hair is growing out and it is very blunt (TOO blunt). I am finding that as it grows, it is starting to U naturally, which I have found fascinating. I'm curious to see if it continues this pattern, since I've taken the no-trim pledge for a year. My ultimate goal is to have a deep U or, preferably, a gentle V. I think that suits wavy hair like mine best. A blunt hemline just makes my hair bottom heavy and dorky looking.

Shypii90
June 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM
here's a hard answer lol

between a U and a V.. like a slightly softened V :P

karenpetal
June 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM
I have had all three at some time - blunt definitely makes it look longer and is aweome if you are a regular braider and U looks nice when wearing down
I love the look of my high- ponytail with a V hemline

LutraLutra
June 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM
It depends on what kind of hair a person has, I think. Blunt cuts look great on some types, but I'd probably say a u is my favourite overall.

wintersun99
June 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM

L4dybug
June 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM
I have always had the blunt, because I loved the straight crisp edge. But now I love the U, I think when my hair grows out longer, I am going to switch to the U, I love that shape. :D

Darkhorse1
June 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
I loved the soft U, but for me, a blunt hemline is best as it makes my braid even/tidy when riding. A U shape tends to leave it looking too scraggly.

GeoJ
June 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I like blunt and U-shaped in general. On my own hair I prefer blunt (as it is now). Early this year I trimmed it into a gentle U. I liked the look, but I didn't like the sides being a bit shorter than the back, especially when I was making braids.

:)

desertgirl
June 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
I like the blunt or a gentle U. I currently have a gentle U. Hair looks fuller to me with these two types of cuts. I haven't seen a V that looks nice. I guess if you have really thick, curly hair and not a bad taper it could look great.

Kiraela
June 1st, 2009, 01:38 PM
I prefer a U or a shallow V to the look of blunt cut, at least on my own head. I feel it widens an already too-wide area even more. Also, Us and Vs seem to make hair look longer, to me - the exact opposite of you, Eliza. Maybe it's because it's sort of like an arrow pointing downwards, to me?

enfys
June 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM
On me I prefer a U because at any length it seems most flattering.

I don't like such a steep U as I have right now because it's too hard to braid, but I cant see myself with a V or blunt cut ever. I don't know about illusions of length.

On other people it's a case by case situation, but I prefer a U usualy.

paper
June 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
I used to think I liked a blunt hemline. But, I'm starting to like U. I haven't had my hair trimmed in a while and the back is longer then the front so it's taking on a U hemline. I like it!

HotRag
June 2nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
I loved the soft U, but for me, a blunt hemline is best as it makes my braid even/tidy when riding. A U shape tends to leave it looking too scraggly.
Yes, that is one more reason I have blunt myself. I braid a lot, and almost always make my buns from a braid.

Buddaphlyy
June 2nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
I like a U. Blunt cuts seem to only look good the day they are cut and then they seem to start fraying or growing and the line is lost. Even though I know V's are natural, they just seem 'unnatural' to me, lol. If I had one, I'd probably cut it into a U. I naturally have a U.

Longlocks3
June 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I want a blunt cut but I have a deep U, more V hairline because of a massive hair loss from near my ears from psoriasis and a layer cut about 4-5 years ago. Seems like many people said U or Vs look more eye pleasing but I'm slowly transitioning to always having my hair up so no one is really going to see my ends.

curls2grow
June 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I get mine cut blunt. I think it makes my thin ends look fuller from the back, and my hemline takes on strange shapes even with the blunt line (like a chain of multi-W's) when the curl pattern changes. :(

AnneAdeline
June 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
I used to want a blunt hemline, but now I have a U and like it. Maybe when those layers catch up I'll try out a blunt hem.

Alenka
June 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
V.
I haven't trimmed my hair for quite a while because I want to gain length.

Maelyssa
June 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I definitely prefer the blunt hemline.
I too think it makes hair look longer & thicker.

I've been rockin a blunt hemline for a while now.

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have mine blunt, just a personal preference. It's just what I have always done, lol.

Eryka
June 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Blunt edge for me. It lets me know all the hairs are the same length. Just my personal preference.

flapjack
June 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I'm kind of surprised at the strong reactions and preferences for certain hemlines over others.

Honestly, it's just a hemline. Most of the time I don't even notice what hemline someone else has.

LadyLongLocks
June 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Blunt. I think it makes it look thicker and healthier( in my case) I had a U shape once and it was pretty. At the length I am now, I think it is best for my hair to cut it blunt.Its also easier to self trim it straight across.

Eryka
June 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Blunt. I think it makes it look thicker and healthier( in my case) I had a U shape once and it was pretty. At the length I am now, I think it is best for my hair to cut it blunt.Its also easier to self trim it straight across.

Thats a good point. It is easier, at least personally.

windinherhair
June 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I want to even my hemline more.... my hair is more like a "V" right now. At first I thought I wanted it straight across. Now I am going to to cut for a "U" shape. No particular reason, I just think it looks pretty. :)

Angellen
June 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have a V-shaped hemline, partially because I've just let it grow, but mainly because that's how I prefer it. Soft V-shaped hemlines seem more romantic, natural, and fluid. I don't like blunt cut as much because I think it often looks too abrupt--it's just not my style. U-shaped hemlines are in-between because, well, they're in-between. :p

Cinnamon Hair
June 4th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'm a proud supporter of the dramatic V shape. It looks so gothic and Morticia from the Addam's family'ish.

I have a more boring blunt cut though. My ends just aren't thick enough for the V shape thing and I think my hair is too long for a V even if the ends were thicker. V can look amazing when it ends somewhere on the torso to bum region. When ending on the legs...well it could look nice if you're wearing something solid like a skirt to show it off, but I've not seen it done (or else I'm forgetting somebody --please tell me if you have a V past classic, I wanna see it!). Also, my mother is my stylist and cutting straight across is easier for her than trying to maintain a V.

UncommonTart
June 4th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I really like the "V" best on myself, but for some reason I frequently have a hard time convincing a stylist that that's really what I want.

dragonfrog
June 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM
My favorite hemline is also a V shape. Cinnamon Hair, the only person with a past-classic V-hemline I've seen here on LHC is Almandine-- it looks freaking awesome on her. I'd love a similar hemline & length someday. And I'd also love to see any other pics of past-classic V hemlines!

Maud
June 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM
i think it depends on the hair, i like the blunt cut the most on thick straight hair and i think the u shape looks good on every type of hair, i don't really like a v.

jojo
June 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I prefer a blunt hemline on me because my hair is fine and it looks thicker when the hem is blunt, however my hair grows into a natural U.

marialena
June 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM

I have my hair in a U shape but not because I want it so much, but because my front hair tend to brake and get damaged very easily. ( they are sooooo thin.. like babie's hair) So I have to trim them very often and that's the reason why are shorter.

But they are not so much shorter than the rest so my U shape is not a very obvious one. ( just little :p:))

mira-chan
June 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I'm a proud supporter of the dramatic V shape. It looks so gothic and Morticia from the Addam's family'ish.

I have a more boring blunt cut though. My ends just aren't thick enough for the V shape thing and I think my hair is too long for a V even if the ends were thicker. V can look amazing when it ends somewhere on the torso to bum region. When ending on the legs...well it could look nice if you're wearing something solid like a skirt to show it off, but I've not seen it done (or else I'm forgetting somebody --please tell me if you have a V past classic, I wanna see it!). Also, my mother is my stylist and cutting straight across is easier for her than trying to maintain a V.
Angelic has a V at knee I believe.

My hair is upper thigh/ classic region but yes, it looks best at this point with a skirt or long shirt behind it if worn down. As I don't wear it down much, it doesn't matter too much.

viking_quest
June 6th, 2009, 11:06 PM
It really depends on the hairtype for me, but I prefer the U more (a deep U). My hair likes to grow in a V shape but it ends up looking like this \_/. I can't stand it and plan on trimming it into a U.