PDA

View Full Version : Straight hair gone curly?

mankefam
May 31st, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have always had straight hair. But since my last child, born 5 years ago, my hair has been wavy. Now within the last few months it seems to have gotten a lot more curly. I have ringlets at the nape of my neck. And the top was in lose ringlets yesterday. Could it be that I am CO and only shampoo every couple weeks maybe. Or that I am letting it air dry and not using gel anymore. I will try to post a pic to show the curls better than my siggie.

mankefam
May 31st, 2009, 11:07 AM
Here are the pics from a couple days ago. Yesterday it was even more curly but I didn't take pics. It is still a little wet in these pics. What do you guys think? If you look in my avatar...that is how my hair usually was.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/mankefam/5-29-09scrunchedwithcurlenhancer.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/mankefam/5-29-09scrunchedwithcurlenhancer-1.jpg

PurpleAshes
May 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I do notice it has gotten wavier, and it's probably because of CO/airdrying. A lot of people who start to do COs instead shampoo washing realize htat their hair is curlier than they thought.
You are beautiful, by the way :)

mankefam
May 31st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Oh....I see. I started CO a month ago. And it seems that since then it has been curlier. Like I said, yesterday there was ringlets in some areas. Thanks

SheWolf
May 31st, 2009, 11:52 AM
As a toddler my hair was very curly and long. My mom cut it short and it grew back stick straight. In the recent years it has turned wavy. Now I am noticing curl at the the hairline, all around.
My guess is fluctuating hormones play a role in hair texture.

mankefam
May 31st, 2009, 11:59 AM
I don't notice the new growth at all. But my whole length is curly. It doesn't seem like it's growing in that way. It just turned curly. Weird!

Bunnyhare
May 31st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hi! I know that ourhair does things depending on hormones, and humidity..in the summer my hair is curlier and when we moved out west from FL it went completely straight for a while..enjoy where its at and have fun! :0)

Fractalsofhair
May 31st, 2009, 03:42 PM
When I went on the pill, my hair went from bone straight to slightly wavy, I think it's hormones. Also conditioning more(CO etc) can bring out a curl, since if you only have a slight curl, it can turn to poof with dryness.

LadyEliza
May 31st, 2009, 06:32 PM
My hair went from dead straight to ringlet curly when I turned 40. I had classic length at the time, and the "old" hair wasn't curly, only new growth. So I cut it back to pixie!!! and had instant ringlets.

As I'm growing it again it's not always ringletty - it's more strong curls with the occasional ringlet now.

But it did go from straight to curly, and I always thought that hormones were the cause, because I stopped having regular periods at the same time.

However, I've recently been tested, been told that I'm not going through menapause, so now we have to find out why I'm not having periods. A 6 year pregnancy maybe? LOL

InTheCity
June 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hair can definitely change but I've never examined why.

I always assumed I damaged my hair straight as a teen/college student and lost my curl that way.

But someone suggesting hormones/the pill is making me wonder...

creativehoney
June 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM
My hair went curly after my. Son and daughter. (they are a year apart)

Well I went to co over a month ago cause I didn't know how to care for it.
I think it has made my waves and curls look better.

I really think its just a normal thing. Maybe hormonal.

I also do think what products you use would make a difference. Gels do usually have alcohols and maybe that was drying your hair?
Maybe now your hair has enough moisture, because of the co-ing, to hold your curls naturally.

Natalia
June 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
I have always had straight hair. But since my last child, born 5 years ago, my hair has been wavy. Now within the last few months it seems to have gotten a lot more curly. I have ringlets at the nape of my neck. And the top was in lose ringlets yesterday. Could it be that I am CO and only shampoo every couple weeks maybe. Or that I am letting it air dry and not using gel anymore. I will try to post a pic to show the curls better than my siggie.

Oh boy, ive always een jelous of your avie and now you post these beautiful pictures! Are yoy TRYING to make me faint :D. You and your hair are both very beautiful and i will be enternally jelous.... I liek your hair at both textures btw :)

abritta3
June 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Very pretty waves! Do you like it that way?

mankefam
June 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Natalia: Thank you so much! You just made my day!!:cheese:

I am not sure if I like it yet. I want straight shiny smooth hair. What I seem to have now is curly frizzy hair. I have no idea how to care for it. How do I keep it from being frizzy??

Flynn
June 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
My hair goes from slightly wavy to basically curly depending on the weather... Mum can run the whole range from a 1b (easy 1a with blowfrying, but she never has it past shoulder length, so we'll forgive her that) to 3a/b depending on the humidity. In a typical Sydney February, she gets real, true ringlets. If there's a dry (desert) westerly, it drops straight. (It's very, very fine, though; finer than mine. She went from a [F/M ~ii/iii 1c] to a ["Ultra-F" i "variable"] after she had my brothers.)

Flynn
June 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
Natalia: Thank you so much! You just made my day!!:cheese:

I am not sure if I like it yet. I want straight shiny smooth hair. What I seem to have now is curly frizzy hair. I have no idea how to care for it. How do I keep it from being frizzy??

The best I've come up with so far is to briefly twist it into a bun after brushing (combing does not work for me) which seems to smooth it all back together again without introducing tangles.

Nice waves ^__^

florenonite
June 3rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
My hair was stick-straight until I was about fifteen or sixteen, when it developed a bit of a wave and ringlets at my nape and temples. If I don't comb it when it's wet it's probably about the same as yours, but I haven't done that in over a year so I can't be sure.

My method of dealing with it is simply combing it after showering. If that doesn't work to smooth it you can try combinb every fifteen minutes or so as it dries.

goodenough
June 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
All of my new growth (ear length or shorter) is curly or wavy. I guess I'm in transision. I have a hunch these are foreshadowing greys, since they have a kinky texture. I'm about the age my dad's hair did this. The sections at my nape and over the ears are especially dry and kinky. A year ago, I had the straightest hair of anyone I knew:) I really don't know what to do about it--I have waist length layered straight hair along with hairs all around that get curlier every day. Does anyone have any idea for how to treat half and half hair? I am open to styling with heat/ using cones, etc--although trying these hasn't really helped.

To the original poster--you and your hair are stunning! I'm planning on going blond when I go grey. Wow!

Dvips
June 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
My hair went from straight to coily (as in curly with coils) around age 13 and then straight/wavy again around 21. :shrug:

Norai
June 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Have my fingers crossed that my hair will spontaneously go curly. o_O

I had it permed a few years ago (I know, tsk tsk) and it *still* didn't get curly, haha.