View Full Version : Are there any 1920s Hairstyles for Long Hair?

Bev1976
May 31st, 2009, 06:03 AM
I am doing an open-air production of A Midsummer Night's Dream in July and the director has decided to set it in the 1920s. I am NOT going to cut it!!!!

Does anyone know of what I could do with it to make it look 1920s? I'd be very grateful for any advice.

xxxxx

euphrasyne
May 31st, 2009, 06:37 AM
I would get a wig. Set it one time, then you can just plunk it on and off as needed with a lot fuss about styling. That is what everyone does at the dance studio my daughter uses.

cheryl

Roseate
May 31st, 2009, 01:41 PM
This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16057&highlight=vintage+hairstyles) thread has a link to instructions for an authentic 1920's long-hair style- basically the hair is rolled under to make a faux bob. Lots of other interesting pictures on that thread too. The wig might be easier, depending on how long your hair is, and how handy you are with a battalion of hairpins!

Fractalsofhair
May 31st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Wigs would be a great option. In the 1920s, respectable women had long hair, and the flappers had short hair. You could show the conflict between parents and children over hair length, and use a wig. Remember, the bobs weren't always chin length, but oftentimes shoulder or mid back. Regular women had waist length or a bit longer, if they were older/respectable, at least in the early 1920s.