PDA

View Full Version : What is/are your most flattering hairstyle(s)?

sneakybea
May 31st, 2009, 05:37 AM
Hello everyone!
I know a lot of us here like to play with our hair, and I'm sure we all have some favorite hairstyles, whether updos or down, curled, braided whatever. So I thought I would find out which hairstyles people thought were particularly becoming to them, because they flatter their faces, show off their color or curls, or just earn them a lot of compliments. Just sort of a fun topic (I hope!) and maybe it will give us some inspiration---if your hair twin looks good in a style, maybe you will too!
I'll start. One of my most flattering styles (which I don't wear as often as I should) is the reverse roll. I don't have a picture of myself wearing it, because I think I'd have to take a picture of myself in profile, but here's a link from the Dressy Tresses site:http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/reverse-roll/
I do the style with all my hair, and I think it flatters me because it adds volume to the sides of my head, not the top, and I have a longish face. It's also one of those styles that can look better as the day goes on---it relaxes and gets softer. If you want, you can add a bun, but if my hair has pretty waves that day, I just leave the ponytail to hang free. I just think it's a romantic and becoming way to show off my braiding skills and the length.
What about you? What styles are becoming on you?

slz
May 31st, 2009, 05:52 AM
I don't think I can objectively tell what suits me or not - I do not like my face much so I prefer my hair down cause it hides me somehow. Then I like two side braids, native-american style, but I'm not sure it suits me that much after all. Other than that, since I do not have the patience to try fancy hairdos, I can't tell.

manderly
May 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM
I like to wear my hair down, in a lazy wrap bun with bangs, or a side cinnabun with a flower and bangs :)

Katrina
May 31st, 2009, 07:23 AM
My most flattering hairstyle (subjectively ;)) is some sort of a sidebraid. It doesn't look too severe (as use to happen with tight buns or with the regular braid) and and it shows the length, but my hair is contained. I like a ropebraid and 4-strand braid best.

Unnamed
May 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM
My best guess (really no clue) would be a half up (just pulled back or pulled back into a braid) or a French braid. Both initially pull back the hair in front of the ears and a bit upward, which is less severe than straight back into a bun or regular braid it seems. Those are also are more likely to hold my wispies in place, though (at least for a little bit--the shorter ones will still escape!).

Snowblood
May 31st, 2009, 10:40 AM
I like to wear my hair in a half up, which I canīt do too often because of my bad hair conscience, it also depends on the situation. ^^
My favourite bun is the "hypno bun" at the moment. I like wearing it in a simple side braid, too. No hair remorse AND showing off length. :D

spidermom
May 31st, 2009, 11:20 AM
Apparently this one is:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/ropebraid.jpg
I wore my hair like this to the grocery store yesterday and 3 people told me "I love your hair!" I was surprised because I thought it looked rather disheveled.

Ella Menneau P.
May 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM
My current favorite it the Karen Lynn bun, but the last time I wore a chinese bun I got a ton of compliments.

SheWolf
May 31st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Depends who you ask: I like it down and messy, my guy does too but he also likes it up because he loves my neck and shoulders.

SheWolf
May 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Apparently this one is:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/ropebraid.jpg
I wore my hair like this to the grocery store yesterday and 3 people told me "I love your hair!" I was surprised because I thought it looked rather disheveled.

Spidermom, that's a really cool look!

spidermom
May 31st, 2009, 12:08 PM
Thank you shewolf. I'm definitely going to wear it out and about more often.

Carolyn
May 31st, 2009, 01:00 PM
I've always thought I looked best in a half up or with side combs or barrettes holding my hair back. I used to wear it in a half up in 7th grade when I was allowed to grow it out a bit. I also like a low bun. I think it balances my head and helps make my very short neck look longer.

spidermom
May 31st, 2009, 01:49 PM
I just realized that the style I submitted IS the reverse roll that OP was talking about, I just rolled all my hair into it instead of made a half-up with it. I don't like half-ups because the hair at my neck behind each ear is frizzier and looks like a wad of steel wool sometimes.

tiamimi
May 31st, 2009, 03:39 PM
I think I look best when my hair is pulled away from my face. That means a lot of styles work which is great.

sneakybea
May 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Wow, your hair really looks great like that, Spidermom! It's cool that the same or almost the same hairstyle can have so many different variants!
I took a picture of myself wearing this style from the side:http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u358/sneakybea/100_0059.jpg
I hate how my chin and jawline looks from that angle, but the hairstyle itself looks good!

Speckla
May 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM
I look best with my bangs pinned back, my sides twisted up, and the back loose and curly.

Curlsgirl
May 31st, 2009, 07:47 PM
I think my hair looks best either in a half up or all the way down actually. My DH seems to prefer it up though in some kind of figure 8 or twist style. I hardly ever wear it down in the summer (too hot) and almost always wear it down in the winter for warmth. It's a great comfort aid :D

theshadowpuppet
May 31st, 2009, 07:59 PM
I have a round face, so of course I part my hair to the side to make my face seem longer. I look better with my hair down, since it balances my face more. But eh, I keep a few pieces of hair out when I do updoes because of this...

viking_quest
May 31st, 2009, 08:47 PM
I think my hair looks best on me when I have braid waves, part my hair to the opposite side (for extra body on top), and then I pin back the excess. It's very flattering.

lizzyjo
May 31st, 2009, 11:54 PM
I have an oval face and a tall forehead, so extra volume on the top doesn't look great, while extra volume on the sides does.

Twin french braids work well but a single french braid doesn't work as well. Although, I've found that an english braid creates more height at the crown than a dutch braid.

A flipped bun held with a fork works well because the sides poof out a little bit. Same with a topsy-tail ponytail.

Any type of hairstyle where the top and sides are slicked back doesn't look the best, but I tend to wear them often because they are the easiest to do.

Elbereth
June 1st, 2009, 05:07 AM
Half up made with center part so that there is a little body in the front, when my hair is clean and has braid waves.

Unfortunately, my hair is so fragile I can't wear that style often. But when I do, it always seems to cause some :thud:s around.:D

camirra555
June 1st, 2009, 08:25 AM
I think for me it's probably half up half down