PDA

View Full Version : Waxies! Should I wash again?

Kazazi
April 8th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Hi y'all,

I just did my first wash with a CV camomile & citrus shampoo bar - lathered twice, then once more just on scalp and used their cucumber and yoghurt soap as conditioner on my length, followed by a 1:10 vinegar rinse.

Now my not even shoulder length hair is still not totally dry more than 3 hours later and totally yucky and waxy.

My last two washes before that were with a Serpentine Hair shampoo bar, followed by vinegar, and although it was a tad waxy it was nowhere near as bad. Before that, I was using Lush haircare, which has SLS but no cones.

My question is: should I wash again right away, or wait till tomorrow or the day after? I am really urging to wash again, but not sure if that would be rash? Also, if and when I do wash again, should I clarify with baking soda? I've never done this before.

I didn't think I should have build up, since no cones in years, so I am blaming the soap. But I am a) not sure if that's correct and b) not sure if a clarifying wash is needed to fix this problem.

What do you all say?

Thanks! :)

lora410
April 8th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Well when I went from one poo bar to another I had the what felt like *soap scum* buildup. I did claify with a little bit of baking soda in sulfate free poo and then I had no issues. I think whenever you try a new bar or switch to a different type clarify first.

Katze
April 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I haven't used shampoo bars in years but remember them not getting my hair really clean, which was why I liked them when I had bleached hair.

The "waxy" you describe reminds me of what happened when i went on WO for a few weeks. I really wanted to be shampoo, and sulfate, free. Then I was at BF's parents and could only find shampoo...and used it. No conditioner, oil, etc. My hair looked and felt GREAT.

I tend to think that whatever you were using before which worked might have been better - after all if your hair feels and looks good regularly, it is probably happy!

Kazazi
April 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the replies, ladies. Katze, I won't hesitate to go back to my Lush haircare if I can't get the poo bars to work for me, but I want to give them a fair try because I've been having sore bits on my scalp and I wonder if going SLS free might help them. Time will tell.

Lora, so did you clarify literally between every poo bar change? Just wondering because I got all these samples now (well, 5), and I was planning to work my way through them with 2-3 washes each until I've tried them all. Would you clarify before each switch?

Ta,

Kaz x

missy60
April 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I really couldnt give the bars long enough to work in my hair, but I did read the long thread about it on the old forum. I dont think once your hair gets use to the bars you have to clarify between the different ones. I had the same problem with the waxy's and some of the advice I was given was to clarify before starting the bars, and to give them time the build up is suppose to go away. The vinegar rinse is important also you might have to do a little adjusting with it to get good results.

Kazazi
April 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Well, I just couldn't stand it any longer and washed again, first with 1 tsp of baking soda mixed into the suds, and then lathering two more times, using the camomile citrus bar again, a bit of my normal veganese conditioner again and then vinegar rinse. Hair dry again now and a little better but still quite yuck. Moving my questions over to the poo par thread now. Thanks again for the replies :)

lora410
April 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the replies, ladies. Katze, I won't hesitate to go back to my Lush haircare if I can't get the poo bars to work for me, but I want to give them a fair try because I've been having sore bits on my scalp and I wonder if going SLS free might help them. Time will tell.

Lora, so did you clarify literally between every poo bar change? Just wondering because I got all these samples now (well, 5), and I was planning to work my way through them with 2-3 washes each until I've tried them all. Would you clarify before each switch?

Ta,

Kaz x

Yeah between full bars, but I also used them for several months before I used one up. It may be different if you are using it once or twice.