PDA

View Full Version : Pic of my hair after a trim at the salon & a question for you...

Mary <><
May 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I have been planning on micro-trimming just a tad to ward of some of the splitting and damage I seem to be getting lately. It was becoming more than I could handle with S&D alone, so I figured I had better leave it to a professional. She did great! :D

My question is; I want to grow my hair to terminal length, but I wonder if I need to get rid of this color damage before I do. The stylist said I could get very light layering in the top portion of my hair, which is where about 90&#37; of my damage is found. She said she would not touch the underlayers of my hair, so they would all be the same as they are now, with no loss to my length. I will want the layers to catch up to the underside eventually though, which would mean maintaining until the layers grow out. What do you think? Should I get the layers or just continue growing until I can't handle it with S&D and then trim again until it is gone? Any & all opinions welcome!

Enjoy the pic!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/MLeary/5_30_2009Trim.jpg

ETA - My hemline is not U shaped, the ends are just curling under on the sides today for some reason. **Shrugs**

Mike
May 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I don't know what S&D is but do not listen to the stylist. Your hair looks amazing as is. I don't see damage or layers. Keep growing.
Mike

Jason
May 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Mary, the trim did turn out well. Your hair is looking great! I love how full and healthy your ends look and you didn't lose much length at all. My vote would be to just keep on growing it out with periodic trims until you get to all natural. I'm a big all-one-length fan though and generally don't go for layers so my opinion is influenced by that.

spidermom
May 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Beautiful.

My opinion: get the layering, then let your hair grow to terminal. Terminal-length hair is rarely a uniform length. Every hair will grow as long as it's supposed to grow, then shed out, and the end result won't matter whether you start off layered or with a blunt, even hem.

L4dybug
May 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Your hair is beautiful, I would let it grow.

Blueglass
May 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
The lays may drive you crazy if you are a braider.

EvaSimone
May 30th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Mary your hair looks great; I don't see any damage!

I layered my hair to get rid of dye damage and I am glad I did it. I hated feeling my yucky ends and that part of my hair just felt fried (it was my front sections of my hair because of highlights).

If the stylist is only going to do gentle layering and depending on the condition of your hair I'd say go for the layers. By the time your hair is waist or hip the layers will have nearly grown out in my experience and you will have gotten rid of some of the worst damage.

The cons of layers are that they can stick out of braids and buns. If it's lightly layered that probably won't be a huge problem but it will still be problematic no matter what. Usually that can be fixed with a bit of aloe and oil or something to help tame fly aways.

Toadstool
May 31st, 2009, 03:26 AM
You have lovely hair.
I don't think you said - do you actually like the look of layers?
I do like Spidermom's point that terminal is not going to be an even length.

Feye
May 31st, 2009, 03:28 AM
Beautiful hair!! :D

Every time that I've cut layers due to hairdressers' recommendations, the layers keep getting more damaged since they are shorter than the rest of the hair. The hairdressers can't easily trim the layers like they can trim one-length hair, it's a less exact procedure. The result is that the layers keep getting shorter and shorter with every visit to the salon, and then the rest of the length has to stay short too. In my opinion layers aren't worth it.

Tap Dancer
May 31st, 2009, 03:45 AM
I would leave it alone; your hair looks so beautiful! :)

Chrissy
May 31st, 2009, 05:18 AM
I'm with no layers. If you like braiding especially. Whatever you do you have gorgeous hair so you win either way!!!

DavidN
May 31st, 2009, 05:34 AM
I think your trim went very well, Mary, and your ends are thick and even, with wonderful shine. I would just let your hair keep growing for now, and only trim if needed.

Mary <><
May 31st, 2009, 06:08 AM
Everyone - Thanks so much for your replies! I really appreciate all of your input! You have all made me think of things I had not considered. And thanks for your kind comments about my hair!

Mary, the trim did turn out well. Your hair is looking great! I love how full and healthy your ends look and you didn't lose much length at all. My vote would be to just keep on growing it out with periodic trims until you get to all natural. I'm a big all-one-length fan though and generally don't go for layers so my opinion is influenced by that.

Jason - Thanks! Your vote holds a lot of weight since we are twins! :D

The lays may drive you crazy if you are a braider.

Blueglass - I am a braider, and I had not thought of that at all. Thanks for the input!

You have lovely hair.
I don't think you said - do you actually like the look of layers?
I do like Spidermom's point that terminal is not going to be an even length.

Toadstool - I like how they look on others but I have never gotten them to work out on myself. Spidermom is right they will not be even at terminal, but when it is not that long yet I wonder how they will lay.

Beautiful hair!! :D

Every time that I've cut layers due to hairdressers' recommendations, the layers keep getting more damaged since they are shorter than the rest of the hair. The hairdressers can't easily trim the layers like they can trim one-length hair, it's a less exact procedure. The result is that the layers keep getting shorter and shorter with every visit to the salon, and then the rest of the length has to stay short too. In my opinion layers aren't worth it.

Feye - Interesting point! Thanks for the input! I wondered this very thing myself.

Periwinkle
May 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM
There's pros and cons to layers.

Pros
- It would get rid of some of your damage
- Terminal length is going to have taper and unevenness anyway, so the layers would blend in
- You might like the look of layers
- You might find that layers are helpful for achieving certain styles (messy buns + more casual styles)

Cons:
- They will make the ends of your hair look thinner
- If you would then maintain so that the layers catch up with the length, your hair isn't getting any longer; trimming off 1/2 your growth each month or something similar would allow you to gain some length at the same time
- Depending on your hairtype, you might have issues with controlling the layers. Mine were/are a disaster but your hair is straighter than mine.
- They can make it difficult to achieve neat styles and also to braid (the layers fall out of the braid very quickly before the length is used up, so you end up with a messy braid or a super-long tassel)

Basically, I'd say that if you want that damage gone now then get layers and maintain or just ignore them, and if you can stand to wait by maintaining your whole length where you are now or by trimming a little each month, then do that.

Pburgh56
May 31st, 2009, 06:51 AM
Hi Mary. I def think you may want to try out layers. However I would say to have really long layers so you could keep some length. THen you could have the best of both worlds and keep it growing.

LaurelSpring
May 31st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Layers have only benefited me when I wanted to blow dry, curl and basically fry my hair to get defination and flip in a hairstyle when it was shorter. In my experience layers only cause me grief when I am growing it long. The layers I had cut in before my decision to grow long are still causing me grief. The only benefit from them at this point is that my extreme taper and thin ends from the old layering are good at tucking under a bun to hold it better. I would just do micro dustings on the damage and oil it really good or better yet get some of Nightbloomings Panacea. I love this stuff on my still damaged ends that I refuse to cut any more.

Mary <><
May 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks so much for all of your replies! You are all so helpfull! Cheese for all! :cheese:

enfys
May 31st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Don't you dare get layers! You're hair is far to pretty to risk lol.

Also, all my splits hide in my layers so S&D will be even more difficult with them, as well as braiding.

eresh
May 31st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Your hair looks really good!

As for me, I didn't cut the chemical dye/damage from it to let it grow and grow :-)
Now that I'm near my goal, I started to maintain this length for a while and trim every 3 months, so the ends will have some damage removed and thicken up at the same time.

Layers would bother me too much in updo's or braids.

Demetrue
May 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM
I would keep it just as it is. Once you do layers, it is very hard to trim them. They usually look good the very first time you cut them, and then become a problem the next time you need a trim. Besides, your hair looks gorgeous exactly as it is.

Lamb
May 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Your hair looks beautiful!!
I don't think you need any light layering or trims, that would be just a pain to grow out (think of short hairs on top escaping from updos), and I can't see any damage in that picture.
Keep on growing! :cheese:

jahof45
May 31st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'd let it grow. The problem with a stylist's opinion is that they HAVE to cut hair to earn a living so aren't always thinking about the best way to get long hair rid of damage. I'm not saying they are all like this but it is their job to cut, perm, dye and style hair so they SELL their products as part of the package. I'd have to trust the LHC opinion over a stylist unless you know for a fact the stylist has your best interest at heart.

Eryka
May 31st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Looks great to me, just keep it growing.

girlcat36
May 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
That hair is gorgeous, leave it alone! What a thick hemline!

mimi1153
June 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
I have to chime in my vote -- no layers!! I've had them before and I'm so glad they're gone. Besides that, like so many have said - your hair is beautiful the way it is, just keep letting it grow. :cheer: I just wish mine was as soft and shiny looking, with such nice thick ends.

psvzum
June 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Your hair is gorgous!!! Do what you want but I don't a thing wrong with it : )

Deborah
June 1st, 2009, 08:05 PM
You don't need any layering. Your hair looks great just as it is. Your hair may BE damaged, but it does not LOOK damaged. Leave it alone. :)

LutraLutra
June 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Wow, what lovely hair, it certainly doesn't look damaged or as if you need to cut any of it off at all.

Elphie
June 2nd, 2009, 03:23 AM
I think your hair looks gorgeous. Whatever color damage remains certainly isn't visible so unless you would prefer the long layers, I'd leave it as it is.

Aditi
June 2nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
Your hair is beautiful, if i were you i would leave it alone and let it grow to terminal by itself.

JessTheMess
June 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hi Mary<><!!
Your hair is looking quite lovely these days!!!
I say to keep your hair the way it is and after a while the microtrims will make the colored parts diminish.
I am STILL growing layers out of my hair and it has been 2 years now. I hate the way my braids look because there are little bits poking out all over the place.
Layers were fine for me when my hair was shorter and I wanted to keep it styled, but I am going for the all one length look as well. In short, I say keep growing, keep trimming and eventually the color will be gone :flower:

KajiKodomo
June 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
Your hair looks great! Where did you go to get it done? Somewhere in town? Would you mind telling me either here or in a PM? I vote against layers too. Just keep growing and trimming periodically and you should be fine. :D

desertgirl
June 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Your hair is beautiful!

Layering can be a slippery slope in my experience. I've had layers done in the past because the majority of my damage was in the front and on the top. However, once I had that done the majority of my damage again became the hair in the front and on the top!

If you like layers because of how your hair would look with them, go for it! If you want to do it for maintenance reasons, I would encourage you to look elsewhere first.

Charlize
June 3rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
Your hair looks really beautiful!!!

About the layers I think it can look really nice on people. It sort of lifts the hair a bit and frames your face more than when it's all one length. Personally, I prefer a little bit of layering, but as other people in here have written the ends of the layered hairs seem somewhat more fragile. My layers doens't seem to grow as fast as the long hair on the back of my head. Maybe it's just my imagination...

Mary <><
June 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
You guys are AWESOME!!! Thanks for your advice! I think I am going to take the popular opinion and leave it alone. Thanks for helping me make up my mind! I really appreciate all of the input! :)

Your hair looks great! Where did you go to get it done? Somewhere in town? Would you mind telling me either here or in a PM? I vote against layers too. Just keep growing and trimming periodically and you should be fine. :D

Thanks!!! I went to Shear Images. Melissa did it. She is sweet, she even stayed late for me! She respected my difference of opinion for what would be best for my hair, and she even admitted the damage I have is probably from previous coloring. I have also been to Les Gen Beaux in the past and really like Lori. She is who I normally would have gone to but she was unavailable when I was ready to get the trim. HTH!!!

KajiKodomo
June 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I have heard nothing but positive reviews of Shear Images. My best friend goes there whenever he wants his hair cut and back when he was keeping it longer, his stylist listened to him and didn't cut too much (although she mentioned a few times that he would look good with shorter hair.....he recently ended up cutting it short, and he looks amazing with it short, but I still prefer it longer, haha! :D).

I usually end up cutting my hair myself, but if I ever decide that I want someone else to do it, or if I mess it up, I know where to go! :D