PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser Discrimination!

xsadiemamx
May 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Ok so everytime i go to the hairdresser and I take my hair down they seem to get really angry lol! They do say nice things like oh your hair is so beautiful, and healthy but then they will say....OH its so thick....OH its so long!
Then..here it comes....OH i am sorry I am going to have to charge you an extra $10 because I didnt realize your hair was so thick, and it takes me double the time to cut it! Thats like discrimination isnt it?! lol! Its like they get angry and aggrevated that they have to cut my hair!

You know and I am not like a complete jerk either I have consideration for everyone. If its really busy I will say to them oh dont worry about it you dont have to blow dry it, I know it takes a really long time. Or I just tell them I dont want it blowdried ( which usually I dont since they are so creul to the hair). Not only that but I ALWAYS leave a big tip nothing ever under $10. Unless they completely hacked my hair off, or something horrible.

One time me and my sister went to get our har trimmed at fantastic sams and my sister said you know just trim it all up a little. Well she had layers OBVIOUSLY! You know what that hairdresser did??? She just cut the bottom of her hair straight across(like a blunt cut) and didnt TOUCH the layers. She was done in like 5 min. and I was mouthing to her, she didnt cut your layers (cuz I was watching) and she said I KNOW! But never ended up saying nything to the lady in fear of her acking her hair for revenge u know? Thats what Ihate about it, your too scared to say anything in fear of them purposley spiting you and giving you a crappy cut lol!

wackyredtangles
May 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I know what you mean!

And the prices they charge for long hair is scandalous. They charge a ton extra to blow it dry or straighten, prices that are not posted may I add.

Seraphina
May 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I know exactly what you mean.The local 'cheapie' haircutting place in my area charges something like $40 (Australian) for long hair.Their definition of long ? A couple of inches past shoulder length.I'm so tempted to go there,ask for a trim,and when I sit down,unravel my bun,revealing TBL hair ! I wonder what they would charge for that :eek:

renarok
May 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I love my hairdresser. It took a lot of bad experiences to find him, but now that I have I am never letting him go!!!!!

Sounds kinda stalkerish huh?

xsadiemamx
May 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
lol i know that would hilarious!! Ya I have noticed the same thing... they consider long hair like shoulder length..Are you kidding??!!?! Then Extra or Ultra long is like to your bra strap! I even have had hair dressers tell me they wont put layers in my waist length hair cuz it wont look right...its too long for that! Im like what are you talking about? I have seen plenty of people with their hair like that! I like layers because they lighten my hair(I dont like thinning it its like a nightmare) I think really they are just WAY TOO lazy to put the layers in thats the problem!!

wintersun99
May 30th, 2009, 09:16 PM

xsadiemamx
May 30th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Excuse me WinterSun, but I am new here. Sorry If I am not up to date with what others have posted here in the past. I am bashing these people because they are ignorant and I am sick of being taken advantage of by people and getting charged for things that arent even posted anywhere on the walls ect.. They just decide to charge you for whatever they feel like these days.

As for being juvenille, You are the one comming here and BASHing me because I am apparently taking up your precious time with this post that has been "posted" before. This was just a way for us to vent.

Ignorant people who dont give a crap about anything but money and materialistic things really get under my skin. Same with people who have no consideration or empathy for others. As well as people who live life by the book and cant seem to just bend the rules a bit. This world is a disgusting place, and you know why? Because PEOPLE make it that way.

That was just a real jerk-off comment. If I get kicked out im sorry, but I am sick of people like you trying to put others down b/c you obviously think you are better than me or something wierd like that.

Nat242
May 30th, 2009, 10:16 PM
To those that are frustrated - you have options.

If a hairdresser wants to charge you more, you can walk out. No one's forcing you to stay and get a cut if you're not happy with how you're being treated.

There are salons that cater to long hair. They're a bit pricy, in my understanding, but they're often gentler and know how to cut long hair properly. They're used to long haired clients - most hairdressers deal with a large majority of shorter haired clients.

You can get a trusted friend or family member to trim it for you. Will only cost you the price of a good pair of hair trimming scissors and a cup of coffee + piece of slice to thank your trimmer!

You can learn to trim your hair yourself - lots of longhairs use Feye's self-trimming method.

Renbirde
May 30th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Cool down, ladies. Remember the cheese.
:cheese:

Seraphina
May 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM
My goodness,I hope I didn't sound whingey ! I have a really wonderful hairdresser who works from home that I go to,and who loves long hair,so I'm not bashing hairdressers in general ! Sometimes it is just nice to share a laugh with people that you know will understand,especially if you know that your family or friends see things very differently :lol:
:cheese:

SHELIAANN1969
May 30th, 2009, 10:46 PM
There are a few ways to avoid some of the things you mentioned in your post:

If you are charged more than the price stated, or if you are charged a price that you feel is incorrect (such as being charged for hair drying and styling when you said *no thanks, I'll dry and style later*) you can refuse that portion and/or speak to management.

I have done it before, you just have to assert yourself.

If the stylist sees that your hair is longer than what they deem normal, and state that the services are going to cost extra, you can refuse to get the treatment, you may leave and go elsewhere.

Discrimination is a very strong word, that is when someone treats you badly because of your long hair, it is not discrimination by charging extra to cut your hair because it is longer or thicker than they are used to cutting.

They are not treating you unfairly, or refusing to give treatment or refusing your hair cut, or segregating you to the back room, they are charging more than the normal price. (I don't agree that it's correct, but it is NOT discrimination)

In regards to the stylist not cutting (your sisters) layers, I wouldn't say that she was being lazy, she may have been inexperienced.

As far as the hairdresser not trimming (your sisters) layers, maybe there was a misunderstanding. If she was told to *trim it up a little* and that's what she did, it isn't her fault for not doing all the layers if she wasn't told to do them.

As far as I know, no one can read minds, we have to alert people when something isn't correct. (also, you said that you told your sister that she didn't trim the layers and your sister said "I know", maybe your sister didn't want them trimmed or maybe she didn't express those wishes to the stylist)

I also think the snappy comeback to Wintersun was a bit harsh, well, actually quite harsh. :(

I never read anywhere in her post where she (Wintersun) stated that you or your post was taking up her precious time, nor did I get the impression that she was tired of reading the same thing over and over, she just said that this *seemed* to be another bashing thread. (which you admitted that you were indeed bashing)

I also don't see that Wintersun put you down, nor do I see from her simple statement that she *thinks she is better than you or something weird like that*

Simply stating our experiences and venting about our frustration in certain situations is one thing, but going on aimlessly without a point, other than to say that hairdressers are *ignorant*, *lazy*, *materialistic*, *don't give a crap about anything but money*, *have no consideration or empathy* is generalizing and being harsh and very very judgmental.

To say that *people* make the world a disgusting place is a very sad statement. I don't think the world is a disgusting place at all.

You also stated that you don't care if you get kicked out, hmmm, that is a poor attitude, it is also very unbecoming of a pretty young lady such as yourself, and serves no purpose than to hurt someone who simply made a comment. It was pretty vengeful and uncalled for.

Also, just so you know, I did report the post as I find it appalling, there was no call for that kind of backlash. :nono:

chelssix
May 30th, 2009, 10:53 PM
You know, there are bad hairdressers, just like there are lazy/untalented people in every profession.
Honestly, no one is making you stay and get your hair cut at a place where they charge extra (and those charges SHOULD be listed, and often are). If you went to a salon that was not a "cheap" salon, I think you would find that they do not usually add those charges- and your likelihood of getting a bad "lazy" cut is not so high.
Also, these hair salons having different prices for different customers is not new- they charge less for men!

hazelnut
May 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
WinterSun was just commenting. I have to agree that the lashing out at her wasn't really necesary. And, speaking in general terms, if someone ticks you off, just be the better person and ignore them. It's way better to let things just roll of your back then to lash out without really thinking about it. Be the bigger person.:)

wintersun99
May 30th, 2009, 11:12 PM

LisaJaney
May 30th, 2009, 11:13 PM
OK, Mod-hat ON:

People, if you feel someone has "dissed" you or been rude to someone else, please just report the post and walk away. No need to get into the thread and add your 3 ounces of pee to the cheerios. It just makes a bigger mess for us (modstaff) to try to clean-up or manage. I can understand being aggravated, sure, but just hit report-post and walk away. No need to report it AND add your comments, no need to "set 'em straight"...just report the post and walk away. We'll get things straightened out.

Remember to treat each other with respect and to KNIT. KNIT is a mnemonic device to help you remember the four questions:
Is it Kind?
Is it Necessary?
Is it Informative? and
Is it True?
Ask yourself these questions about what you're about to post to the boards. Better yet, go back and read what you've written here in this thread and see if your post passes muster. Bummer you're not allowed gross-edits (removal of content is disallowed here. Adding a "my bad, sorry" IS allowed, however) but hopefully this will serve as a reminder.

akurah
May 30th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I've actually never been charged a fee for having long hair on top of the usual hairdressing fee. Or thick hair, for that matter, and my hair is pretty thick.

If a hairdresser did attempt to charge either, I'd probably walk out and go to the next salon.

Torrin Paige
May 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
When your hair reaches a certain length it officially takes more time to mess about with it and most stylists prices reflect the average time it takes per client. I have a wonderful hairdresser who does charge a bit extra for super long hair (which she counts as waist length or longer) but will negotiate with you. For example, I always go in when it's just been washed, and since she doesn't have to wash and detangle it, I don't get charged any extra. The trim takes almost no time, and while I usually get a blow out, she figures that the time saved in not washing makes up for it. Of course, she's been cutting me for free when I get in lately (I only see her when I visit the fam at home...my hubby maintains it in the meantime) because I act as the dummy for her braiding classes. I also will sit and let her try crazy up-do's. After posting my pic up on her wall, she has started getting a pretty good long haired clientele and she makes sure to treat it gently and will truly only take off half an inch if that's what you are comfortable with. That said, one of the salons I went into where I currently live told me that it would cost an extra 50 bucks to blow out my hair...on top of the trimming fee. When I asked if I could just use their dryer and do it myself...they told me it would be 25 bucks. LOL. I went home with a wet head. :)

Starr
May 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
This has been my experience when I take my hair out of the bun:

Stylist: Wow your is really curly, that will probably cost a little more because of the amount of time it will take.

Me: Okay

Stylist: (looks at the back) Wow, it's really long too, we charge extra for that too.

Stylist: (touching my hair) And it's very thick as well. . . i have to take that into consideration as far as the price goes as well.

Stylist: And if you would like a deep conditioning treatment, that will cost a bit more because of the length.

Me: So what's the damage?

Stylist: $$$

Me: For what? A trim and deep conditioner? I'll pass.

Is it fair, no. Is it discrimination. . . that depends- I've been flat out told by a hairdresser that she doesn't do "black" hair; but that's not the case most of the time. My only solution was to learn to do my own hair and move on.

Thinthondiel
May 31st, 2009, 12:37 AM
Hair salons here don't list their prices, so I usually don't know if they charge extra for length or thickness... last time, though, I got a receipt where they listed the price for everything they had done to my hair... they didn't charge anything extra for my length or thickness, but in a way my amount of hair made it more expensive anyway... they charged extra (of course) for having to use an additional packet of dye.

Is it fair, no. Is it discrimination. . . that depends- I've been flat out told by a hairdresser that she doesn't do "black" hair;

Maybe she just didn't have enough experience with that type of hair to feel confident in her own ability to work with it?

xsadiemamx
May 31st, 2009, 12:39 AM
lol, i forgot to add this in the beggining, they dont notify me of the extra charge until AFTER they have cut my hair. NICE huh?! YA, and this has happened to me on numerous occasions. I have got a pretty good hairdresser now so I donthave to worry about that crap anymore, but like I was trying to explain its just the principle and the attitude. Sometimes I just feel like saying to them listen, I know my hair is thick and long but I will tip you good.

I know they are angry is cuz around me area its all fast paced and get one in and out and then get another. The more people they cut the more they make. They dont want to waste time cutting my hair that prob. take them 2x the time. Like I said I always tip them good cuz of this. But if they decide to slap that charge on AFTER they are done cutting my hair, I just dont tip them very good!! I would take it up wth the manager and everything but thats not the type of person I am, I just get crapped on and take it. Its a personality flaw. Then I eventually blow up, Its something I am working on lol! I would hate to be the hairdresser on a bad day, I would end up punching her in the face lol!

Renbirde
May 31st, 2009, 12:40 AM
I've been pretty lucky with my hairdressers-- they usually don't take off huge amounts. Of course, I usually postpone going in untill there's a few inches of damage to get rid of, so they don't need to be as controlled. :rolleyes:

I had my hair up once when I went in for a trim, and took it down while the stylist was watching. It was about hip length, but the bun it made was smaller than my fist. She commented that I "hide that well" and had me stand for my cut, but that's hardly discrimination-- that's just my hair being too long for her chair! (She was tall too, which wasn't helping matters.) :D

lizzyjo
May 31st, 2009, 12:55 AM
Sounds like you need a new hairstylest!
The following is just my two cents because we have different hair types:
>If you are in the US, then I'm pretty sure it's the law that hairstylests must have their prices posted.
>Find someone with the same hairtype and length as you (although this may be hard) and ask them who trims their hair.
>Ask what the price is before she starts doing your hair, and which services the price includes.
>Let her know what your hairtype is when you make the appointment so that she can come up with an accurate price.
>Establish a good rapport with your stylest. Engage her in conversation, etc. She may give you discounts in the future for being a good customer.
>Understand that thicker, longer hair will take more time trimming, drying, and washing, and it will need more hair products, therefore costing more.

Anyway, I hope that you find a good hairdresser. I am sure that there is one out there for you.

GlassEyes
May 31st, 2009, 01:01 AM
Maybe she just didn't have enough experience with that type of hair to feel confident in her own ability to work with it?

There's a difference between not knowing how to handle it, and refusing outright based on race. I've had a hairstylist worry about cutting my hair because she wasn't used to handling it before, but outright refusal to serve based on having 'black' hair IS discrimination.

adventuring
May 31st, 2009, 01:26 AM
They charge more because it takes longer to do your hair and, if you're getting color, uses more of the resources.

Hairdressers work on time constraints. If they look at your hair and see it's gonna take them an extra half hour, then yeah, they'll probably charge more.

I think girls with extremely long hair need to remember that they're not the norm.

Nat242
May 31st, 2009, 01:35 AM
There's a difference between not knowing how to handle it, and refusing outright based on race. I've had a hairstylist worry about cutting my hair because she wasn't used to handling it before, but outright refusal to serve based on having 'black' hair IS discrimination.

I agree. "Black" hair can come in many different textures, not all of which are unique to people of African descent (for example, lots of caucasian people have extremely curly hair, which some hairdressers may not be experienced in cutting/styling). A hairdresser admitting that they're unfamiliar with a particular texture is one thing; denying to serve based on the perceived race of the person (and an in-built assumption about their hair type) is another.

Honey39
May 31st, 2009, 01:48 AM
I went to the hairdresser yesterday, and had a cut and colour, and they charged their usual rates (but to be honest, it was an expensive place, and cost over £100). No mention of long thick hair adding to the price.

However, I was really conscious that it was harder work for them. My hair was too long for the meshes (foils), it's super thick and not easily combed, and it takes forever to dry. I tipped well.

I don't hate hairdressers, you know. They work hard and are badly paid, mostly. I wanted half an inch cut off, so I was very specific about it. Same with colour, I try to be really specific about what I want and what I don't want.

HotRag
May 31st, 2009, 01:49 AM
I have the opposite experience.
My hair dresser, and my former one, actually gave me a lower price, due to me not wanting layers, not wanting blow drying. They said "cutting straight across" took less time, and then lowered the price.
I have never been charged extra for my long thick hair. It is almost always the cheapest cut due to no layers, no short haired techniques and so on.

And I have thick hair that they always comment.

I did not even get extra charge for the perm I tried several years ago. Mostly they seem to charge for how long and thick it is (hove much solution they have to use) but she said she had the same price to all.
When it showed that I have hair that is VERY hard to perm, I did not have to pay extra to come twice and trice to redo.
She said she wanted happy customers.
Due to how perm looked on me, and how it had to fry my hair to be visible as more than a drying treatment, she did not have to loose more money for perming me LOL.

Maybe I would have another experience if I had gone to a salon. But I do not go to them because they almost never listen to how much one want to cut off (even if I show them the length). And I have to talk really much to convince them I do not want xxx, yyy and zzz.

Starr
May 31st, 2009, 02:10 AM

I agree. "Black" hair can come in many different textures, not all of which are unique to people of African descent (for example, lots of caucasian people have extremely curly hair, which some hairdressers may not be experienced in cutting/styling). A hairdresser admitting that they're unfamiliar with a particular texture is one thing; denying to serve based on the perceived race of the person (and an in-built assumption about their hair type) is another.

This is exactly the context in which it happened. . . I went to a salon based on a recommendation from a curly haired friend to see a stylist who supposedly had experience cutting curly hair, they called a girl out from the back, she looked me up and down, and then said, "I don't do black hair" and then walked away. . . I was livid to say the least and had a very brief but effective conversation with the manager and luckily she was fired on the spot.

I don't expect just anyone to be able to do my hair, but I do except tact and common decency at the very least. Mind you it was the most extreme case, but I've come in contact with several other forms of discrimination at salons having nothing to do with race. Luckily though most of the stylists I have come in contact with are more than pleasant.

Thinthondiel
May 31st, 2009, 02:30 AM
This is exactly the context in which it happened. . . I went to a salon based on a recommendation from a curly haired friend to see a stylist who supposedly had experience cutting curly hair, they called a girl out from the back, she looked me up and down, and then said, "I don't do black hair" and then walked away. . . I was livid to say the least and had a very brief but effective conversation with the manager and luckily she was fired on the spot.

Okay, I'll take back what I said - that was definitely discrimination. I don't understand how people can still have that attitude today!

I'm glad you didn't let her get away with it!

Stevy
May 31st, 2009, 02:37 AM

What a horrible experience! I am so glad that you and the manager acted swiftly to show her that was not acceptable behaviour.

As far as the question of whether there should be 'hairdresser rage' threads on the board goes, I think they're one of the things that are always going to crop up every month or so, like 'what do you do with your hair for couple time' and 'what about long hair over 40' and honestly, it's not like it's that much of a chore for long-time members to scroll past them. Not everyone's going to love hairdressers, just like not everyone's going to love oiling or phase-of-the-moon trimming or Monk The Monk forks.

xsadiemamx
May 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM
As for these ignorant hairdresser refusing to cut "black" hair, that is just cruel. If she has never done it before and is afraid to screw up your hair why dont they just say so! Instead they gotta turn it around on you and claim they just dont do it. Like they are too good for it or something, I mean come on now who are you trying to fool! We know you just dont have expierence with it and dont want to admit it!!

This thread was meant for me to compare others expirences with being charged extra for having thicker or longer hair. Which is understandable, but at the same time dont go charging me at the end of the hair cut or even worse in the middle of cutting my hair. I sure as H*** aint gonna say something when someone is in the middle of cutting my hair! Why so they can get mad and hack of my hair lol! As it is almost everytime I have gone to the hairdresser I say to them "I will take of like 1/2 in. How much is that again" and make them show me thier version of half and inch and low and behold EVERY time they cut off like 3 inches. Its like they just feel like doing whatever they want too. Not even mentioning the horrible dye expiriences I have had.

I am just sick of it. Ya I tried cutting my hair myself, i did an ok job but I will tell you its nothing like getting it professionally done. I was just trying to see if it was in my area this was going on or if it was happing to other people too.

To the moderator: I knew I should have held my tounge. However, I never reported this post. I dont even know how to do that!! lol. I just am sick of people being mean to me for no reason and I need to stand up for myself or I end up going crazy. This is per doc's orders btw.

Fractalsofhair
May 31st, 2009, 03:23 PM
It's tricky to get a good haircut. Even at "fancy" salons, I get charged extra for my amount of hair, and I have fairly short hair. When I had a short bob, I had to pay about 1.5x the price since my hair is hard to cut. I'm not sure what I'll pay now, I know as a child I had to pay 2x the adult price for waist length hair since mine was so long and hard to cut, at some places, and at others we paid the children's price. Brow waxers have flat out refused to wax my brows since they're so fine, and a few times I've had to pay for that when they've just looked at my brows! Needless to say, there was no tip for looking at my brows when I informed them in advance I had very fine hairs on my brows! XD But my hair, it's very fine, and I have a lot of it. I don't really understand the point of that. I do understand paying more for a color, or a deep conditioning treatment for long/thick hair, as those products cost money. Time is an issue, for all stylists, and if your hair is taking extra time, and she/he tells you that they don't have the time to blow dry it, then one should try to accept that and deal with it. A wash doesn't take too long, nor does a basic cut. If you want a complicated cut, then explain that you will need a bit more time when making the reservation, and tip well. Tell them in advance, and ask if you can get your hair cut towards the end of business hours, as it's a lot easier for a stylist to have to be 30min late home(Though not ideal), than it is for them to be 30 mins late for the next client. I think we need a general hairdresser problems thread!

Madame J
May 31st, 2009, 03:50 PM
When I was a little girl with long hair, it once took the barber lady over an hour to trim an inch off the bottom of my hair. She did the thing where she sectioned it in small sections, and then took off a little at a time until it was perfectly even. I think she didn't realize how much hair I had until she started sectioning it. We had gone in a little less than an hour before closing, too, so she ended up staying late. Now, the barber didn't charge extra for long hair, but my mom gave a huge tip after all that.

So I can understand the reasoning behind charging extra for long or thick hair. It's not discrimination. That said, I will not pay the extra fee unless the stylist can point to the place on the service menu that says 1.) that there is a fee for long hair, 2.) what that fee is, and 3.) how they decide what is "long." I've simply walked out of a haircut when the guy sat me down in the shampoo chair and mentioned, off-hand, "oh by the way, it's an extra $X for you because your hair is long." I insisted he show me where they say that on the price list, and he couldn't show me, so I handed him his barber drape and walked out. If he had brought it out in the middle of the haircut, I would have probably stopped him right there and demanded to speak to the manager.

enfys
May 31st, 2009, 04:08 PM
You just have to weigh up if the results offest the money. Is it better than self trimming?

Personally I don't buy or pay for anything until I know what it costs. If I ask for sauce with my burger I check it won't cost an extra 10p. If I want egg and pineapple on my gammon I check the added price before I say yes. A salon or barbers or whatever is not a set price kind of place, it's a service that's offered and that can vary according to the skill needed. It might be small but the sign could well say cuts from £/$ xxxx.

As for the "black" hair comment, that's shocking. Actual shock, mouth open. Anyway, it's surely not a problem with the colour, but the type of hair. Or does she not do blonde either? Grrrrrrrr.

Pixna
May 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
I've got two confessions to make, and I pray I don't offend anyone with the first one.

When I had my meltdown and pixified my hair (at my own hands, no less), I was in a total state of shock. At that point, I desperately called a salon in a mall that I knew was open on Sundays (yes, I even had the idiocy of screwing up on a Sunday). They set an appointment for me with the one person who had an immediate opening, and we rushed to the salon so I could get an emergency "repair job." To clarify things a bit, I'm white. The stylist for that appointment was black. In my absolutely crazed and terrified state, I asked her if she had experience with white people's hair, like mine. I was petrified of having anyone try to "fix" my hair who was inexperienced (often, the less-experienced people get the lousy Sunday hours). Her very empathic and delicate response was, "Of course. I have twenty years of experience. Hair is hair." Made perfect sense.

The second confession isn't nearly so embarrassing. When my hair was waist length, the hairdresser I went to actually charged me LESS than their standard rate. That's because she said it only took her 5 minutes (which it did), since she basically did a quickie blunt trim of 1/4 to 1/2 inch, maximum. It was a fancy salon and she only charged me $10 (and I gave her a huge tip in return). Unfortunately, when the salon owner found out what she was doing, she was forced to up the price to standard rates. But it was great while it lasted. Then I learned how to trim my own hair (using Feye's method), and I've never looked back.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but I can't bash hairdressers in general because I've had some terrific ones. Of course, there was the one idiot fellow who clipped off the top of my ear, for which I needed stitches, but I'll leave that story for another time . . .

Roseate
May 31st, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm fortunate enough to have never run into any hairdressers like the ones I keep hearing about on LHC.

I've had some bad haircuts, sure; my hairtype is not easy to cut at shorter lengths, it's all too easy to make me look like a dandelion. So I guess I've had problems with quality of haircut, but not problems with quantity of hair taken. If I show what an inch is to me, that's what I get taken off.

I don't know how a stylist could stay in business who regularly takes 3" when they have clearly and visually been asked for 1/2". Most stylists want their customers to come back, not run screaming!

LadyEliza
May 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
My hairdresser is my cousin, and she knows to listen.

Like anyone who is doing a job for you, you have to make sure that they understand what you want.

You also have to understand that they might be able to suggest something better.

If you ask for 1/2 inch off, but you have an inch worth of damage, they might want to discuss that with you, and you should listen to them as well.

Get them to show you, in a mirror or bring your hair around the front and SHOW YOU, how much they think should be taken off.

Then there can't be any confusion.

And if they refuse to cut your hair because of colour, that's illegal discrimination and a different story!!!

Fractalsofhair
May 31st, 2009, 05:24 PM
Oh I just noticed the bit about black hair. I have friends with afros, and shorter ones perhaps, but well type 4b or c if there is such a thing... I've helped style/wash their hair at sleepovers/parties, and to be honest, as long as there is a leave in conditioner, it's not hard to comb out. Now, the braids etc that many people of African descent wear, that could be hard to do, along with relaxers without proper training. Perhaps even using a flat iron, but combing is not hard. I've flatironed 4a hair, and well, it's not as easy as flat ironing my hair, but it is possible. I've worked on friends with relaxed hair's hair at sleepovers, and it's not any harder to style than drier white hair. Same case with Asian hair. If the hair seems dry, just add a conditioner or oil to it. Given that most women color/heat style their hair, a hairdresser should be trained in the use of those products and how to tell if hair is dry. Ethnic hair is no more difficult to do a basic cut or style(I presume on the cutting bit, I know on the styling bit), than white straight hair. My hair is tricky to cut since I have a LOT of hair. Stylists can do it, it's not impossible. A person with a ton of very long very thick, very curly hair might be the hardest(In terms of time) to cut, but it's not impossible, and a simple blunt cut shouldn't be too hard for them to do. Styling in complicated unique styles is not something one should assume a stylist knows how to do, but if it's just a cut and comb, that is something anyone can do. A warning to the stylist is a good idea if you have hair that is long, curly, thick, coarser, finer, different etc than the norm, and perhaps if at all possible popping into the salon to show the stylist your hair a day or so in advance. A simple basic straight cut is something even a friend can do on your hair, if you have it damp for them etc.

hennaphile
May 31st, 2009, 07:23 PM
Found a lady who respects long hair at greatclips, $12.

Alia
May 31st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Feye's self trimming method rocks! :rockerdud I am way too paranoid to let a stylist at my hair. BTW, if there is no written 'long hair charge', and they don't try to hit you up until after the cut is done, you don't have to pay the extra $$. BTW2, the 'I don't cut black hair' lady definitely deserved to get canned.

LisaJaney
June 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM
ITA about the lady who "doesn't do black hair" needing to be fired ON the spot. That statement didn't sound like "inexperience with the hairtype" to me; it sounded like prejudice. To quote Donald Trump: "You're FIRED!" And good riddance.

To xsadiemamx: To report a post, you look at the lower lefthand corner of every post here, and you'll see a few circles (it's in the little section that has the person's name, avatar, hairtype, location, all that jazz) One of those circles has an "R" in it. That's the report-post button. Click it and you'll go to another screen where you can write your thoughts in a box. You write something like "This was just plain rude" or "Is this legal here? She's namecalling!" or whatever. Then hit "submit", and your comments, along with the original post you're reporting (complete with links and poster's name) comes to the mod-room, and it makes a thread where we can talk about it and decide what to do. It's REALLY simple to do, and NOBODY but the modstaff knows you tattled. And God knows WE won't tell, so it's a grand and glorious secret :) Pretty simple, huh! If you want to practice, click on the R in MY post here, and report me. I'm good with that. I've been reported before :eyebrows: At least THIS time I won't be in trouble! :lol:

ETA: Oh, and if you report me, I'll come back here and tell you that it worked. Normally, you don't even hear about it again, but I'll be sure to tell you because it's a little TEST you're doing. So hurry up: report me!

ccaswick
June 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Just need a trim -- go to a barber, the older the better -- and if you live in a rural area, even better -- no lines -- you tell them EXACTLY how much you'd like trimmed off -- and somehow a barber can measure way better than a "stylist."

Probably even better to grab a swatch from the nape -- show them, have then snip -- then have them show you for approval before they start wacking away -- but I've always had the best trims from barbers.

Caye

heidi w.
June 1st, 2009, 12:46 PM
Ok so everytime i go to the hairdresser and I take my hair down they seem to get really angry lol! They do say nice things like oh your hair is so beautiful, and healthy but then they will say....OH its so thick....OH its so long!
Then..here it comes....OH i am sorry I am going to have to charge you an extra $10 because I didnt realize your hair was so thick, and it takes me double the time to cut it! Thats like discrimination isnt it?! lol! Its like they get angry and aggrevated that they have to cut my hair!

You know and I am not like a complete jerk either I have consideration for everyone. If its really busy I will say to them oh dont worry about it you dont have to blow dry it, I know it takes a really long time. Or I just tell them I dont want it blowdried ( which usually I dont since they are so creul to the hair). Not only that but I ALWAYS leave a big tip nothing ever under $10. Unless they completely hacked my hair off, or something horrible.

One time me and my sister went to get our har trimmed at fantastic sams and my sister said you know just trim it all up a little. Well she had layers OBVIOUSLY! You know what that hairdresser did??? She just cut the bottom of her hair straight across(like a blunt cut) and didnt TOUCH the layers. She was done in like 5 min. and I was mouthing to her, she didnt cut your layers (cuz I was watching) and she said I KNOW! But never ended up saying nything to the lady in fear of her acking her hair for revenge u know? Thats what Ihate about it, your too scared to say anything in fear of them purposley spiting you and giving you a crappy cut lol!

There are ways to avoid all these problems.

First and foremost, interview the dresser before you ever sit in the chair. Specifically, take time between your interview AND scheduling an appointment to consider the communication.

Go in on an "off" time or make an appt for a consultation (expect to pay something for this), and take your hair down and show them what they're working with.

This way they can see what's going on and you can ask all your questions.

Second, go in with freshly washed hair and ask that your hair be trimmed dry -- not wet! You get a better trim dry. IF they must they can spritz the hemline a bit.

Thirdly, tell them you'll detangle your hair yourself for them. They will still need to use a comb, but it's not a big deal.

I have no clue how long your hair is, but it's no big extra effort to trim really thick hair. It might be a trace more time consuming since they put hair up and may have to work smaller sections -- but that's about it.

I would endeavor to find a dresser and build a rapport and understanding. My experience is that Sam's is not necessarily the kind of place you're looking for. Although the one trim I ever got there, they did a swell job!

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM
This forum somewhere has a thread on self-trimming, the how to!
heidi w.

Pixna
June 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Second, go in with freshly washed hair and ask that your hair be trimmed dry -- not wet! You get a better trim dry. IF they must they can spritz the hemline a bit.

Thirdly, tell them you'll detangle your hair yourself for them. They will still need to use a comb, but it's not a big deal.

These are really good tips, Heidi. These are things I ALWAYS did when I went to a salon for a trim. I prefer to wash my own hair with my own products, not the chemicals salons typically have, and I didn't want them doing a double wash and/or piling the hair on my head and tangling it. I always had them trim my freshly washed (at home) hair dry. AND I always detangled my own hair while I was there, too, right before they trimmed it. I had too many times when the stylist just wasn't aware of knots and ripped them out with the comb. OUCH!!

So, if you do go to a salon, don't forget these essential tips!

Fencai
June 1st, 2009, 03:53 PM
When I was in college, I had a BF who was growing his hair out, and I was growing out from a pixie, so we had the same length hair (yes, the jokes and comments from friends did commence!)

We went to the same salon, just for a trim, a 1/4" each and the lady said his was only $17.00 and mine was $27.00. When I asked her why she said that it was because I was a girl.

:agape:
I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, I never went back there again. (and not to mention I found out that BF was trying to date her too!)