PDA

View Full Version : New to the Board...Long Hair advice?

Pburgh56
May 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hi I am new to the board and I love how it seems like everyone here is so supportive of one another in their quest for long hair. I have always had short hair like a buzz cut, but have always wanted to have really long hair. Finally, I have decided to grow my hair long. Starting from a buzz in February my hair is about 4 inches long right now. My goal is really long hair to mid back or maybe longer :) What do you think and any advice?

Runzel
May 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Just take good care of it and enjoy every stage of the process! :)

kam984420
May 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hi I am new to the board and I love how it seems like everyone here is so supportive of one another in their quest for long hair. I have always had short hair like a buzz cut, but have always wanted to have really long hair. Finally, I have decided to grow my hair long. Starting from a buzz in February my hair is about 4 inches long right now. My goal is really long hair to mid back or maybe longer :) What do you think and any advice?

I had a buzz for a realllllllllllllly long time too. After 8 months of growing, my longest hairs are beginning to brush my shoulders. Good luck growing! It'll be long before you know it.

Brat
May 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Welcome aboard!

Take very good care of your hair now, in a few years your ends will show it if you don't! I've found that blow drying and flat ironing are very damaging, even with the heat protectant sprays. Don't rake a comb through it, be gentle. Try not to let it whip in the wind (in a convertible or on a bike), it gets tangled and broken. Use shampoos and conditioners (or not) that make your hair and scalp happy. Try not to bleach it too much.

I'm sure there's a lot more info that you'll find here. Enjoy your hair journey!

feralnature
May 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Welcome! I still feel new although I have been here a year and a half. Time flies when you're watching hair grow. Read all the old posts you can and read the articles here on different aspects of hair care. Learn the abbreviations or it will drive you nuts, for instance APL is "armpit length". Click around and become familiar with the site. Take pics of the back of your head (our favorite pose is back of the head with the hands on the hips it seems, LOL!!!) measure your hair from the forehead to the back of your hair ends. Then settle in and grow grow grow!

Pburgh56
May 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks everybody for your advice already. Im sooo ready for my journey. Im anxious to reach my mini goal of shoulder length and to have a ponytail. Feralnature, I love your picture. HOw long do u want ur hair?

Renbirde
May 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM
Welcome! Have fun roving.

Here's my tidbit to add to your collection: Term, or terminal, means the maximum length a hair will grow before it sheds out. The faster your hair grows, the longer your terminal length will be. Most people's hairs grow between 6-8 years before they shed. In other words, if your hair grows, say, and inch a month, you might be able to grow eight feet of hair before you hit terminal length. :)

lizzyjo
May 31st, 2009, 01:39 AM
The length between 2" and chin length were the most difficult and least flattering for me. I had to hold my hair back in clips because it wouldn't go in a ponytail and, if I wore it down, it would hang right in my face. College is more relaxed than real life, so this is a good time to change to a new hairstyle. May I suggest that you post your gender in your information to the left of your post so that everyone can see it? You might get more appropriate answers this way. Oh, and welcome!

concrescence
May 31st, 2009, 04:02 AM
I'm new to the boards as well, but have been lurking for a while. Here are two articles posted by a member who grew out from a buzz that you might find useful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58 Guide to those who are starting over from very short

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=76 Updo suggestions for short and growing out

Pburgh56
May 31st, 2009, 06:56 AM
HI thanks for all the help. Lizzy I will def change that. Im male btw. and everyone here was beautiful hair :)

RancheroTheBee
May 31st, 2009, 12:36 PM
Between bald and chin was the hardest for me. You always want to mess around with it, just because it gets so horribly boring at that length. My suggestion is to ignore how long other people have gotten their hair for the moment, because it may just make you feel anxious and discouraged. Just congratulate yourself on your own progress.

feralnature
May 31st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks everybody for your advice already. Im sooo ready for my journey. Im anxious to reach my mini goal of shoulder length and to have a ponytail. Feralnature, I love your picture. HOw long do u want ur hair?

Thank you Pburgh56! What a wonderful compliment for me to hear when I still consider myself new and with "short" hair.

I am wanting to grow to terminal length but have damaged red ends that I also need to trim off. I am waiting til my hair is longer so I will still have length after I cut the ends (or have the ends off by a professional). Part of me doesn't want to cut at all and let the color and ends just resolve themselves naturally.

Anyway, goal is "long white hair" :)

Pburgh56
May 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Thank you both soo much. Rancherothebee I will def set my own goals to look forward to. sometimes i get bummed out seeing how long others' hair is but i realize mine will be there some day.
Feralnature, Im sooo excited for you. It sounds like you ahve a good plan for getting a slight trim once its long. Ull look great at terminal length. I may try that after I hit mid back.

Coriander
May 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the board!

Just take care of it - growing out from a short cut can be frustrating. I know, I went through it.

Have a great time reading through the tons of information here :)