PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest hair comments you've received?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Kat
May 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM
What are some of the stupidest things people have said to you about your hair?

There's the usual, "you have long hair!" which always makes me want to whip around in surprise and look at it and say "I do?? Holy crap, I didn't know!" I never know what to say to it, because I'm never sure if it's just an observation or if it's supposed to be a compliment.

Then I sometimes get, "is that your real hair?" Nope, I go around snipping strands off other people. (I always say that if I ever got cancer and had to have chemo, I'd shave my head before my hair fell out on its own, make myself a wig, and go around in that and then when people say "is that your real hair?" I could say, "sorta--it's mine, but it's not attached...")

And my all-time favorite is, "who braids your hair for you?" or "do you braid your own hair?" (I wear my hair braided almost constantly; usually one but sometimes two). And if that's not weird enough, when I tell them I braid it, they act all incredulous. It's only a braid, for heaven's sake! You'd think it was rocket science from the way people react. I usually just tell them, "who else is going to braid it for me?" (do they think I have a maid??) and sometimes, "well, I've been doing it for years, so I'm sort of used to it by now." (duh)

Xandergrammy
May 30th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I think my very favorite hair comment was from a man who I'd worked with every day for over a year and one day he walked into my office when my hair was loose (wash day). He stopped dead in his tracks and said "Whoa!! Where the f*&% did you get all that hair?!?" :rollin:

morguebabe
May 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
LOL I really hate "YOu have long hair!"
I mean I guess it's a thing they say out of shock or whatever, but I always want to respond with "You have on a green shirt!"

I think "is that your real hair" isn't so bad, I mean so many people have extensions.

I'm not sure I've got anyone dumb ones

thinks.

meph
May 30th, 2009, 08:42 AM
My hair isn't long enough to get the "You have long hair!" comments, but as a redhead I had a lot of "Your hair is red" comments. What do they expect me to say ? "Gee thanks for pointing that out, I always thought it was (insert other colour here)!"

Oh well..:shrug:

Stubborn
May 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
"You look gay" "When are you going to cut your hair?"

I've only gotten the gay comment from a small child in my family.

I usually respond to the "When are you going to cut your hair?" with "Probably in a few years... even then it'll just be a trim, though."

haha

Torrin Paige
May 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I've gotten all of those dumb comments as well. I sometimes think people blurt out what pops into their heads without thinking about how it's going to sound coming out of their mouth. I'm guilty of that as well, so I try not to cringe and just say, "Yup! It's long/blonde/mine/whatever." The one that annoys me is the "How did you get your hair so long?" Um, I didn't cut it. It's that simple. They always seemed so shocked that by not cutting your hair, it will grow. Amazing.

Masara
May 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM
And my all-time favorite is, "who braids your hair for you?" or "do you braid your own hair?"

Oh, I recognize that one. I used to get it all the time from colleagues. You would think they knew better. I mean do they really think I just popped in at the hairdresser's en route for my 7.55 am class? Or maybe they thought I got my kids out of bed early in the morning so they could style my hair for me. :shrug:

DD tells me that the kids in her class are still asking.

Dementia1013
May 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I've gotten those before too. "your hair is long!"
"did you know your hair is purple?" and my all time fav that actually got the guy kicked out of the store I was working at because my manager overheard was "does the carpet match the drapes?" I'd like to say that's the only time i've gotten that question... sadly, it's not.

spidermom
May 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM
When I showed DH my newest sig pic, he said "it looks like it's still braided! Look at that pattern." I told him it looks like braid waves, but he insisted that it looked like it was still braided. I don't know WHAT he was thinking.

didrash
May 30th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I've gotten those before too. "your hair is long!"
"did you know your hair is purple?" and my all time fav that actually got the guy kicked out of the store I was working at because my manager overheard was "does the carpet match the drapes?" I'd like to say that's the only time i've gotten that question... sadly, it's not.

Dont mean to hijack, but the colour is amazing. Do you mind sharing what your natural color is and what you use to dye it?

psvzum
May 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Why do you wear your hair long. Dumbest and most ignorant comment!

viking_quest
May 30th, 2009, 09:29 AM
And my all-time favorite is, "who braids your hair for you?" or "do you braid your own hair?" (I wear my hair braided almost constantly; usually one but sometimes two). And if that's not weird enough, when I tell them I braid it, they act all incredulous. It's only a braid, for heaven's sake! You'd think it was rocket science from the way people react. I usually just tell them, "who else is going to braid it for me?" (do they think I have a maid??) and sometimes, "well, I've been doing it for years, so I'm sort of used to it by now." (duh)

I first starting braiding my hair a year ago. A girl who sat next to me in Chemistry asked if I braided my own hair. I said yes, no big deal. She asked me again the next day and the next day, until the end of the week. By that time I just wanted to tell her that I hired someone to do my hair every morning and leave it be. I didn't though and she stopped asking.

Dementia1013
May 30th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Dont mean to hijack, but the colour is amazing. Do you mind sharing what your natural color is and what you use to dye it?

My natural color is Dark brown almost black and coarse I'm filipino afterall. lol. For details check out my profile I posted my dying routine on there. :D

Dementia1013
May 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM
When I showed DH my newest sig pic, he said "it looks like it's still braided! Look at that pattern." I told him it looks like braid waves, but he insisted that it looked like it was still braided. I don't know WHAT he was thinking.
My hubby said something similar to that as well! lol. I just smiled and kissed him on the forehead.

spidermom
May 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Oh, and this one ranks right up there "Why have your hair long if you wear it up all the time?"

LittleOrca
May 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I have children mostly tell me "Your hair is long" and I know that for most shy children (between elementary and middle school) that is supposed to be a comment. I simply smile and tell them, "yup."

Other stupid hair comments... hmm... there are always those "cut it!" people, but that is not only stupid but annoying, so let's skip those.

I have gotten in the past, especially if I am wearing it up in a pony tail, "Do you have extensions/Is that real?"

"If you cut your hair, it will grow back even faster!" (A cut from TBL to APL was being suggested. I think my S&D missions are taking care of my hair just fine. :) )

Do comments you are not supposed to hear count? Once in class I heard two women gossiping and one said "Well! Doesn't she have a lot of hair! Why is she wearing it down?" Maybe because I want to? :rolleyes:

Lamb
May 30th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Oh, and this one ranks right up there "Why have your hair long if you wear it up all the time?"

*facepalm*
I haven't gotten very silly comments yet, but more and more people think I am sporting a perm. I don't know if it's because my curls look good, or because my hair looks dry and damaged?

wheatfree
May 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I think I'm the only one with long hair in my husband's family. It's APL now & was tailbone length when I cut it to my shoulders. When we had family get togethers, it seemed like everyone had to ask at least once when I was going to cut it. Since it's become obvious that I'm growing it out again, that question is starting to make a comeback. I don't know why this is such an issue for them, but I'm considering a t-shirt that says: When I can't walk without tripping over it. No one else would understand, but they'd get it.

spidermom: The always wearing it up thing is one of their arguments. Like somehow an updo isn't a valid hairstyle choice. They can only wear theirs one way. I have a choice.

Periwinkle
May 30th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I went to supercuts the other day for a trim. While she was cutting my hair, the woman asked 'Can you wash your own hair, or do you need someone else's help?'

Uhh, it's long, but it's not THAT long...

akka naeda
May 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I get the "Do you plait your hair yourself?"
And one which I suppose is a compliment in a way - I spent a week doing fieldwork in Scotalnd with a group of people, with my hair in a plait so I could wear a hard hat easily. On the last night I lost my elastic and so by the time we got to the bar my hair was half plaited, half unplaited. I had about 10 people all say the same thing "Give that tail back to that horse!" Some people might see it as a compliment, and I thikn with one person saying it, it would be fine but 10 people in 1 hour all saying the same thing? The people I was sitting with found it hysterically funny though:)

spidermom
May 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I always take "your hair is long!" as a compliment, or at least an acknowledgement that I've achieved what I want.

Helen Baq
May 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I think my very favorite hair comment was from a man who I'd worked with every day for over a year and one day he walked into my office when my hair was loose (wash day). He stopped dead in his tracks and said "Whoa!! Where the f*&% did you get all that hair?!?" :rollin:

:rollin:

I don't really have anything to add. I mostly get the "wow, your hair sure has grown!" or "wow, your hair just keeps groing!" comments from people I haven't seen in awhile. :p

Natalia
May 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
So far the stupidest one ive heard was after i dyed my hair from natural blonde to a dark brown. Everyone i saw sad "Wow your hair is dark!" uhhh duh thats what happens when you buy the box that says dark brown ?

People around here rarely go past shouldner and usually the longest is BSL so even though im not yet waist i get a fair amount of long hair comments. Just got one the yesterday from my neighbor when i was taking out my braid to comb and re-do.

wackyredtangles
May 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Whenever I've gotten the "your hair is so long!" its always been in a tone of voice that makes it a compliment. I do sometimes get told "your hair is so red!", in a tone of awe, followed by "is that your natural haircolor?". I'm never sure what to say to the is that your natural hair color question. My hair is naturally red, but I do henna to make it a bit darker and increase the shine.

Slight hijack, why do people think its ok to ask someone if that's their natural hair color? There isn't anything wrong with it exactly, it just seems a bit odd that someone on the street I've never met before would ask me that. I've never asked anyone if their hair was its natural color.

Peter
May 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
The absolute most stupid comment I've ever received... there's no contest about this one. It's "your hair is down to your shoulders... it's pulling you down, if you cut it you can grow taller". I'm a few inches shorter than average, but how anyone can believe that my hair is the cause is beyond me. :laugh:

I've also gotten a bunch of sexist comments like "men shouldn't have hair that long" and "even though it's so soft and shiny, you should cut it because I have a thing against men with long hair". Well, **** me, I had no idea I was your personal puppet...

Coriander
May 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
The one that annoys me is the "How did you get your hair so long?" Um, I didn't cut it. It's that simple. They always seemed so shocked that by not cutting your hair, it will grow. Amazing.

This. :laugh: I was asked a few weeks ago how my hair grew so long... I had to tell them I hadn't had it cut in over a year, and their expression about had me howling. "You don't cut your HAIR???" Um, no.

I went to supercuts the other day for a trim. While she was cutting my hair, the woman asked 'Can you wash your own hair, or do you need someone else's help?'

Uhh, it's long, but it's not THAT long...

Tell her that you have a band of gorgeous men in your home that are there for that purpose only. :D

Kat
May 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Oh yes, and I forgot the incredulous "have you EVER cut your hair?" In this case I really do think they want me to say "no, I've grown it all my life" or that I have some sort of religious reasons for not cutting it...I always feel like I'm bursting their bubble when I tell them that from the time I was about 9 until about 18 or 19, it was chin-length...

I get annoyed by "how long have you been growing your hair?" too, but that's only because I hear it so much.

Yes, my mom asks me this. And I have to be honest with her: because 1. my hair is crap as far as quality and I can't wear it down and keep it looking good, and 2. this much hair gets in the way too much!

bunnii
May 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I started a thread about the dumbest hair comment I ever got when I told someone I oiled ,y hair "you shouldn't do that, it's bad for it" Yeah my hair is approaching hiplength, is healthier, and i'm treating it badly? :lol:

Once when I had my hair in a longish pixie and BF had his past shoulder, we were in a chemist, and this old man took hold of my arm and shouted "YOU SHOULD HAVE THAT LONG HAIR, NOT HIM!!" I was so stunned I didn't know what to say, so I just said "yeah ok then" and rolled my eyes, what an utter berk!

Blue Willow
May 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Not necessarily the dumbest but the highly rude is perfect strangers/acquaintences telling me I should donate my hair to locks of love. This happens at least a few times a year.
I don't see how people have the nerve to do this.:mad: (Sorry for the rant but its not nice nor do I look at it as a compliment)

Pyvsi
May 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
When I was in Army basic training, our drill sergeants would always harass the Black females about our hair. (only us, of course) Mind you, the longest haired one out of the five of us had shoulder length hair. But whenever the drill sergeants would see one of us touch our hair, or when we were in the PX getting hygiene and hair items, they would always say something about "horse hair"- referring to hair extensions.
"Don't you go trying to sneak some of that horse hair into your head"
"Oh, are you fixing your weave? Your horse hair about to fall out? I don't know who you're trying to look pretty for."
The thing is
1. NONE of us had hair extensions.
2. NONE of us even had long hair - like I said, the longest hair was shoulder length.
3. My hair was in AFRO form. I wore cornrows and twists because it wasn't long enough to make a neat afro puff in the back of my head. So, seriously, if I'm going to wear hair extensions in basic training, where the most convenient style that conforms to Army regulations would be a bun...don't you think I'd get longer extensions so I wouldn't have to braid and twist for hours? We barely had time to sleep!
4. But finally -

PLEASE find me a horse with an afro on his butt, so I can understand why these ignorant, racist drill sergeants thought I was wearing horse hair!:spitting::rollin:

pietri
May 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Slight hijack, why do people think its ok to ask someone if that's their natural hair color? There isn't anything wrong with it exactly, it just seems a bit odd that someone on the street I've never met before would ask me that. I've never asked anyone if their hair was its natural color.

To be honest that could be me asking - I think the motivation for that question is that they like your haircolor and are wondering if they could buy the same dye :cool:

Mary <><
May 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I always get "Wow, your hair is so beautiful - You should cut it." ???? Now that's weird! If you think it is beautiful why should I cut it? Why on earth wouldn't I just leave well enough alone??? LOL! Weird!

Mary <><
May 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM
To be honest that could be me asking - I think the motivation for that question is that they like your haircolor and are wondering if they could buy the same dye :cool:

Yep, I think this is why they ask for the most part. I used to ask for this very same reason when I used to color my hair.

Roseate
May 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Once when I had my hair in a longish pixie and BF had his past shoulder, we were in a chemist, and this old man took hold of my arm and shouted "YOU SHOULD HAVE THAT LONG HAIR, NOT HIM!!"

My brother has TBL strawberry blonde waves, and when we are together people often make really dumb comments about how it is "unfair" when men have beautiful long hair.

Um... what? Is his having great hair somehow preventing a woman from having long hair that's just as nice? :confused: It's not like a family only gets so many hair genes, and he stole them all or something! Besides, my mom and I have pretty good hair too, IMHO. My dad's totally bald though, so maybe my brother did steal that hair from somewhere...:p

Pixna
May 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
When I wore my hair in a single English braid all the time and some young kid said to me, "Oh, I get it. You're just an old hippie."

Okay, there's nothing wrong with being an old hippie, and I probably am one, at least at heart, but I don't think I fit any stereotype, and I sure didn't like being classified that way. Now if he had said, "Oh, I get it. You're a beautiful flower child," I might have felt differently. :gabigrin:

Themyst
May 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Yep, I don't know what to do with the "Wow, your hair is long!" comments. I usually utter back with, "Yes, it is." Because I don't know if they really like it, or if they're just revolted by it, or if they're just treating me like a freak show.

The other one is, "Is it natural?" I got that one before I started hennaing. I wasn't really sure what it meant, so I always replied with a yes.

The strangest one I think was from an older women who was absolutely fascinated with my hair. The moment she saw me at a Wal-mart, she started yelling out comments over a group of people between us in the isle. This was several months ago so I don't remember all her questions, but her final one was, "Don't choke yourself on it while sleeping in bed at night!" :rolleyes: Yeah, okay. I'm sure the look on my face was just priceless.

galen
May 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
My dentist ask me Thursday "How long have you been growing your hair?"

My reply - "Ah, over fifty years."

hazelnut
May 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I was at the hairdresser a few years back and there was this woman sitting next to me with really long hair. My own hair wasn't that long (BSL) but a client one of the other hairdresser's was tending to walks right up to us and says, "are you guy's mother and daughter?" The woman and I shake our heads 'no.' Then she proceeds to say, "Oh, well I thought you were since you both have long hair." I just looked at her. It was a bit of a dumb question, because all I was thinking was, 'Ooookaaaay. That was...... wierd.'

GoddesJourney
May 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I always get "Wow, your hair is so beautiful - You should cut it." ???? Now that's weird! If you think it is beautiful why should I cut it? Why on earth wouldn't I just leave well enough alone??? LOL! Weird!

I've gotten that same stupid comment. Talk about mixed messages...

xsadiemamx
May 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Is that your natural color?? Well, I guess its not a dumb question but if I wasnt a natural redhead I certainly wouldnt color my hair to get it red lol! Not only that but its kind of insulting cuz im like, ummm do you see any roots? Does my hair color look fake to you? Didnt think so. I have a twin with the same color and its like 10x more annoying when they ask that question when I am with my sister! Im like HELLO?! Ya I dye my hair, and it just so happens my sister here with the same color does too. Or we will get, are you guys related?? No, we just look the same or, Nooo we just met !! lol omg!

Kat
May 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Oh, yep, the LoL comments. "Oh, are you growing your hair to donate it?" I just tell them no, and LoL is not, IMO, a good charity anyway (lest I get accused of being a selfish biatch who wants to screw over the poor little kids with cancer). If they ask I explain why, and might further explain why I don't understand the point of giving little kids real-hair wigs anyway (since I've heard they're more expensive and more difficult to take care of than synthetic hair wigs).

Besides, being as LoL only asks for what, like 10 or 12 inches of hair....then why would I grow it TO MY KNEES in order to donate it to them???

HotRag
May 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
"Do you wipe your butt with your hair?" (when I had longer before my 1998 big hack)

"How long does it take to dry? It must take forever." (it takes not longer time when it is longer, it is just as thick and for me that is what limit the drying time)

I also get the "Oooooh! Did you make that braid YOURSELF?!?!?!?" about English braid.

"Have you saved all your life?" about waist length hair.

"How do you go to the toilet? Doesn't the hair fall in the toilet?" about thigh length hair.

When I was younger and had tried to ultrableach my hennaed hair (just once... and it did not take very well at all) people asked me what colour was mine, the dark scalp hair (that was outgrowth) or the lighter some inch from scalp, or the red ends. That's really stupid...

Deimos
May 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I got the "is that your natural hair color?" one too...when it was fire-red and purple. I guess it was because I also colored my eyebrows?

HotRag
May 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Oh, yep, the LoL comments. "Oh, are you growing your hair to donate it?"
I have got that one too. But not donate, they asked if I grew to sell.
They use to say that I could live on growing and selling hair.
Yeah!:cheese::cheese::cheese:

HotRag
May 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Oh, one more:

"You should cut your hair, you look like a guy!" (I had about classic and it was down.)

marialena
May 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Two of the dumbest comments, that unfortunately hear very often are the follow.
"When are you going to cut your hair? " ( completely idiot question.. What are they think? That I grow longer my hair just to have the "pleasure" to cut them later?? )
And the second which is one of the most embarrassing when I hear it in public from some friends is that I look like Mary Magdalene and my DBF like Jesus Christ.. :rolleyes: ( what else am I going to hear before my ears fall down?? eh?? :D)

LittleOrca
May 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
PLEASE find me a horse with an afro on his butt, so I can understand why these ignorant, racist drill sergeants thought I was wearing horse hair!

LOL! I pictured a horse with an afro tail... wow. That made me laugh so hard. :D

patissegrietje
May 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Your hair looks short when you wear it up, like you always do, why don't you just cut it short? :confused:

&

(unfortunately) I got the 'does the carpet match the drapes' comment to many times

mira-chan
May 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I rarely wear my hair down but on an occasion I do I get
"Your hair is ....down...:surprise:" Looking at me like I'm an alien. :alien:
Why yes, it is... thank you for noticing. They say nothing else too, just that.

Morrighan
May 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
A few years ago when I was wearing a half up a guy came up to me and told me my hair was falling out of my pontytail. I thanked him and he smiled and said "your welcome", then walked away.

jahof45
May 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
It wasn't a question but I had a stylist hit me in the back of my head with a comb because my hair was "so thick". I was getting a fancy updo for a thing, not cutting.

When people mention cutting it for LoL, I just tell them I grow and weave my own wigs to donate directly to cancer patients. They never say another word or ask if I'm going to cut and donate to LoL.

I have donated hair in the past before I knew what a sham LoL is. Shame on them!

I don't get the "is that your natural color?" question because I'm letting my silver/gray hair grow virgin but I do get the "why don't you dye your hair, you'd look younger." comments so I simply say the the chemicals of dye are poisonous and if a dermapatch can deliver correct medication into your bloodstream, imagine what dye delivers to your bloodstream.

I find they don't tell me to dye again and I've succeeded in talking some out of continuing to dye their own hair. LOL

rani
May 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Oooh, once my boyfriend and I both had chin-length hair (he kept growing his, I kept cutting mine) and a lady at the grocery store looked at us and said "You have matching hair!" The funny thing was, I KNEW she was going to say that before she even opened her mouth!

Runzel
May 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
A few years ago when I was wearing a half up a guy came up to me and told me my hair was falling out of my pontytail. I thanked him and he smiled and said "your welcome", then walked away.

That's hilarious! He probably thought he was doing you a favor, poor guy.

rani
May 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM
One lady got mad because I didn't donate my hair to Locks of Love when I cut it. I didn't cut it short all at once but she was still mad, even after I explained it. It made me sad :(

Tangles
May 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Definitely "it's so long." The bane of many of us... I hope when I reach goal I never hear that one.

xsadiemamx
May 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
patisse(unfortunately) I got the 'does the carpet match the drapes' comment to many times omg I HATE THAT!! I cant believe I almost forgot that one! I usually get that question when I am at a bar or somewhere where there are alot of pathetic guys around. They used to ask me that question back in middle school and I would get so embrassed and my face would turn al red. Which just makes it worse cuz they are like oh ya look at her getting all red its true its true!!

Now I just simply say....wouldnt you like to know?! OR I slap them lol! Men are such pervs. I have actually had some women ask me the same question too!

Igor
May 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM
A girl assumed right away that I was growing my hair because it was a f/e/t/i/s/h for my boyfriend

Growing my hair because I like it? Nooooooooooh… It must be to please someone else

I feel sorry for her :rolleyes:

ChrissieM
May 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Not necessarily the dumbest but the highly rude is perfect strangers/acquaintences telling me I should donate my hair to locks of love. This happens at least a few times a year.
I don't see how people have the nerve to do this.:mad: (Sorry for the rant but its not nice nor do I look at it as a compliment)

I've gotten that comment a couple of times too, and I hate it! Once someone told me that I was being selfish, and a little girl out there somewhere needs a nice wig made with my red hair. This person was being completely serious. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open.

RavennaNight
May 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I think it's funny in a stupid way when a random person I would be conversing with asks me if I dye my hair, and it's around the time my roots are really big and obvious and the henna is already waiting at home releasing dye. :rolleyes: No. My hair decided to sprout blonde all of a sudden after all these years...:confused: Then I wonder if the person asked just to be an a-hole. :hmm:

AlleyKitten
May 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I tend to respond to "your hair is so long!" with either "yes" or "thank you", depending on how polite I'm feeling. It always baffles me...what do they expect me to say?

The one that stuck with me was the woman selling hairsticks, who was unable to get my (hip-length, ii/iii) hair into a French Twist. She says to me "You should take off maybe five inches, then you'd be able to do this style". Um, no, how about you learn how to deal with longer hair? I'm not cutting off months of growth to be able to do one updo! She also told me I should donate to LoL...by that point I was mostly interested in buying the hairsticks and bailing! Nice sticks, but weird woman.

xsadiemamx
May 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
LOL omg this thread is hilarious!!! I too have gotten harrassed by the LoL comment. I just say to them, you actually belive that they donate that hair for free?? I am not givig my hair away to someone that is going to make like 2,000 off my hair thanx, but if I want to sell my hair I will post it n ebay and bank the profits! Then again, I think all those charity places are a scam, Save the children, Feed the children, Clothe the children, ect... YA I know those peeps are all scamming me and taking like 70% of my money and THEN donaing the remaining 30% to the people who actually need it. If I am going to save the children I will personally go to africa and give it to them myself.

SimplyViki
May 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, when I used to dye my hair burgundy, I used to get the "Is that your natural haircolor??" ALL the time... even with roots showing. I was like.... um.... well, first of all, see my blonde eyebrows? Second of all, I've never met anyone who naturally has burgundy hair sprouting from their scalps.

MandaMom2Three
May 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
"does the carpet match the drapes?"

OMGoodness! I've heard that expression before but I just now realized what it meant :laugh: ! Good grief I'm naive sometimes :rolleyes:

I've never seen long hair colored like that before, it looks beautiful!!

frangipani
May 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I used to have my hair dyed blue.
some guy: "What happened to your hair, did you see a ghost?"
I thought according to general folklore that your skin turns white when you see a ghost, not your hair turns blue? I lol-ed at him, regardless.

hazelnut
May 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I used to have my hair dyed blue.
some guy: "What happened to your hair, did you see a ghost?"
I thought according to general folklore that your skin turns white when you see a ghost, not your hair turns blue? I lol-ed at him, regardless.
Haha! That's what I thought too.:) Maybe it's a new addition to that folklore.:D

MandaMom2Three
May 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
My mom usually comments and asks me how long I'm planning on letting my hair get. I just tell her as long as I want! This next comment was about MY hair, but I was standing in line at McDonalds with a friend of mine and a woman a few people ahead of us had thigh length hair. I said without thinking "Oh! Look at her hair!!" thinking hair-envious thoughts, my friend just snorts and says "Well, THAT'S overkill!" I gave her the look of death and told her that was how long I was going to grow my hair. No more comments after that.

BranwenWolf
May 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM
"Why don't you cut you hair?" I got this all the time when I was at classic and it drove me nuts. "Because I like it this way" doesn't seem to satisfy them. I need to come up with a spicy answer, like it's a secret government conspiracy or alien takeover or something.

"She needs a haircut!" spoken to my mother from a hairstylist, like I wasn't even standing right there. This was when I had classic-length, healthy natural blonde hair. The hairstylist had the ugliest hairdo I've ever seen, short and spikey with frosted tips and black roots.

Agree with all the "your hair is long!" comments. It's like the people that walk up to my 6'2" friend and say "You're tall!"
Gee, never would have guessed.

girlcat36
May 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I was waitressing with my hair in twin braids, and an older male customer said to me, "Hey, how'd you get those braids so skinny?"

"Um, it's just my hair. That's all the hair I have. I don't have a lot of it." :rolleyes:

"Oh."

Runzel
May 31st, 2009, 12:32 AM
I was waitressing with my hair in twin braids, and an older male customer said to me, "Hey, how'd you get those braids so skinny?"

"Um, it's just my hair. That's all the hair I have. I don't have a lot of it." :rolleyes:

"Oh."

Too funny. :D I might have said something like "I used a hair shrinker." :rolleyes:

Fifty-Five
May 31st, 2009, 12:36 AM
I've gotten some dumb comments. o.o I mean, just yesterday, a friend said 'You need a haircut. Let me at least trim it for you.' No, I don't NEED a haircut. If for some reason I was allergic to long hair...maybe, but that's not the case. Besides, your hair isn't that great, either, so get off your high horse, 'cause you need to grow out the mullet, and find a good conditioner =3

A friend of mine had the best reply to the 'Your hair is long' comment I've ever heard. xD Her hair is ...oh, 'bout calf length. When someone tells her hair is long, she says 'What?', looks over her shoulder, screams, and runs in a circle yelling 'Oh my God!' xD

Seraphina
May 31st, 2009, 12:44 AM
I've gotten some dumb comments. o.o I mean, just yesterday, a friend said 'You need a haircut. Let me at least trim it for you.' No, I don't NEED a haircut. If for some reason I was allergic to long hair...maybe, but that's not the case. Besides, your hair isn't that great, either, so get off your high horse, 'cause you need to grow out the mullet, and find a good conditioner =3

A friend of mine had the best reply to the 'Your hair is long' comment I've ever heard. xD Her hair is ...oh, 'bout calf length. When someone tells her hair is long, she says 'What?', looks over her shoulder, screams, and runs in a circle yelling 'Oh my God!' xD

I love that !

Susana
May 31st, 2009, 12:54 AM
Lol, I don't think any of those comments are that weird actually. "Your hair is so long" is just people noticing it, and seeing as how I like long hair I like it when they say it and say "thank you" for saying it. I don't think it's dumb at all. The real hair one makes even more sense considering that it could very well be extentions. People may also ask "are those your real nails, hair color, boobs, ass, eye color, eye lashes..."Let's face it just because its on you doesn't mean that it isn't fake. The braid one, I find that people who don't have long hair can find it frustrating when their short hair starts to get long because they don't know what to do with it. Hence a long braid might seem really annoying and time consuming to make, specially if it looks neat. So I can't agree that any of these comments actually elicit an annoyed response in me. I think you are being complimented, feel flattered ;)

Phalaenopsis
May 31st, 2009, 01:54 AM
I think the same as Susana. Saying someone has long hair is just a way of noticing it, starting a conversation.

Actually, I would be hurt if someone made fun out of me when I commented in a friendly way that they have long hair and then they start screaming and saying "oh why, yes I do"

I couldn't braid for a long time either, until I got on a Belgian hairforum. Then I got interested and I started practising. At that time even a french braid looked impossible to do on myself.

So when people ask, did you braid it yourself? I proudly say 'yes' and smile. No aggrevation.

HotRag
May 31st, 2009, 02:01 AM
"Do you save your hair?"

"When are you going to cut?"

"How long will you grow your hair?"

"Your hair is longer than last year when we met."

Meaningless comments to me, but not as fun as those I wrote about first.

I think the comment from the boy about "your hair is falling out of your pony" was very sweet :)

Starr
May 31st, 2009, 02:38 AM
PLEASE find me a horse with an afro on his butt, so I can understand why these ignorant, racist drill sergeants thought I was wearing horse hair!:spitting::rollin:

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

Pyvsi, you are too much! I almost snorted my water.

Igor
May 31st, 2009, 02:54 AM
One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you alright? At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behaviour. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up. After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favour of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working. After a while he abandoned this one as well as being obstructively cynical.

~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Starr
May 31st, 2009, 03:06 AM
~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

That book is absolutely brilliant Igor!:D

I usually get the "how did you get your hair to be that curly?"
Uhmm, it grows out of my head this way. . . and then they look at me incredulously, as if it couldn't possibly be true. :rolleyes:

Another favorite is "how did you get your hair so long?"
I tell them that I don't cut it and I usually get a blank stare in response.

Snowblood
May 31st, 2009, 04:15 AM
"Do you grow your hair for saving toilet paper?" :rolleyes:

Errm.. yes for sure!!

zift
May 31st, 2009, 04:36 AM
So many weird comments in this thread, people got some nerve :eek:

Here's one of the weird comments I got "you will never get poor. Because if you did you will sew socks from your hair and sell it."
And once in a while someone will ask " if I sneak from the back and cut your hair one day what would you do?"
My answer is "I'll kill you."

slz
May 31st, 2009, 05:43 AM
The one that annoys me is the "How did you get your hair so long?" Um, I didn't cut it. It's that simple. They always seemed so shocked that by not cutting your hair, it will grow. Amazing.

Yes I find this one quite stupid too, and it's the one I get most often. Besides, I never know what to answer : I have no idea how long I've been growing my hair, it grows on its own anyway, haha.

The most annoying and rudest one I got was a "these are extensions, not real hair" - not a question, a statement, from a cashier to her colleague at the supermarket, and with a kind of contempt tone in her voice. Well no, they're real, who do you think you are, you jealous bitch.

And last one, one of my students recently found it necessary to tell me my hair was turning grey (I had roots showing, being late for my monthly dye). Why thank you Captain Obvious, this was SO NICE of you to tell me :rolleyes:. Sigh.

suffer-cait
May 31st, 2009, 06:23 AM
" if I sneak from the back and cut your hair one day what would you do?"
My answer is "I'll kill you."This is probably my biggest fear, because I know people who would consider such a thing a "prank," not something that will trigger insanity untill the full-on depresion sets in.
As for comments: "You should cut your hair, my wife had really long hair and I convinced her to cut it, and now she loves it." That's.....great. (Dear sir, dunno if you noticed, but I'm not anything like your wife, considering I CAN'T STAND YOU) He's also one of the ones that can't take "because I like it this way."
Sorry, mini-rant.

Xandergrammy
May 31st, 2009, 06:40 AM

I LOVE THIS!!!! :rollin:

Xandergrammy
May 31st, 2009, 06:51 AM
I think I'm the only one with long hair in my husband's family. It's APL now & was tailbone length when I cut it to my shoulders. When we had family get togethers, it seemed like everyone had to ask at least once when I was going to cut it. Since it's become obvious that I'm growing it out again, that question is starting to make a comeback. I don't know why this is such an issue for them, but I'm considering a t-shirt that says: When I can't walk without tripping over it. No one else would understand, but they'd get it.

:rollin: I think the t-shirt idea is brilliant!!!

Kat
May 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM
A girl assumed right away that I was growing my hair because it was a f/e/t/i/s/h for my boyfriend

I'm still sad that I can't seem to find a guy who's into long hair...I keep hearing about how men go ga-ga for long hair, but neither my current partner nor my ex cared one way or the other. I mean, I grow it for ME, but it would sort of be nice to have someone besides me appreciate it... how does the long-haired chick end up with the guys who DON'T care?

I've had two good boss comments. One was the boss from a couple jobs ago; one of my first days on the job, he was walking behind me and suddenly said, "I didn't know your hair was so long!" Somehow he didn't notice at my interview, lol.

The second was from my boss at my last job; I usually wear my hair in a single braid, but one day I wore it in two, and he said "whoa, your hair is different!" Duh. It can be configured however I want. I suppose it was surprising since I wear it in one braid 99% of the time, but geez!

I do usually also tell the LoL pushers that "If I wanted my hair on Paris Hilton's head, I'd sell it to her myself." Children's charities aren't my thing anyway...I'd rather donate to hungry/homeless folks, animals, the arts, women, and LGBT charities anyway. So many people are just dying to donate to kids' causes that they're not going to miss it if they don't have my support too. But I usually don't say that part.

And as far as whether "your hair is long" being stupid...i still maintain that it is. If you want to compliment my hair, tell me it looks nice. If you want to insult it, tell me it looks like shite. But don't make a general statement of fact and expect me to be able to interpret what you mean by it. That'd be like going up to a beautiful woman and saying "wow, you're a woman." And?

eresh
May 31st, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hm the dumbest comment, I think it's more the most annoying comment perhaps, as I don't mind other comments (unless they're of the pushy creepy kind)

"I bet you use that to wipe your a**"

Ehhh :rolleyes:

Oh and "Where did you buy that bun?"
But that was more a funny one, she thought it was a clip-on bun :D

neon-dream
May 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM
'your hair is too orange to be real' was the most ridiculous one I've ever received.

Susana
May 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM
Aww Phalaenopsis I am glad you would not make fun of me if I gave you the "your hair so long" comment. I am sure I've done it. I also do the "OMG you have a puppy/baby" usually in a high pitch voice. It just blurts out :S lol.
I am trying to do a crown braid...its definetly a work in progress, as well as small little french braids.
If I see you, you'll probably get my compliments ;)

Deimos
May 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM
When reading girlcat36' comment, I remembered another one that was not as much dumb but more hurtful to my ego. I told a girl I had bsl+ hair now (yes I'm proud of it) Her reply: and all that hair fits into that tiny bun??

Another reason to grow superlong hair.

Alia
May 31st, 2009, 10:41 AM

I found it behind the couch! :couch:

girlcat36
May 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM
I struggle with hairloss. I used to have a very thin patch at the front of my head, right in the middle(it has since gotten somewhat better).

My boss was giving me the once over one day, and proclaims loudly, "You've got a bald spot, you know!"

I still can't figure out why he thought it would be a good idea to yell that out. As if I never looked in the mirror! Of course I knew I had a bald spot.
I work in a very busy restaurant with an open kitchen, where everyone hears everything.

spidermom
May 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM
I'm not bothered by people stating the obvious, not about my hair anyway. If somebody says "your hair is long," I take it as a positive. This is how I want it, and somebody else noticed. Hooray! However, if somebody were to say to me "Your hind-end is fat," I'd be so insulted, even though it's true.

Locksmith
May 31st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Ugh, the nerve of some people. If anyone ever got angry at me for not donating my hair, I'd tell them to grow and donate their *own* f&*&#37;ing hair! Who do they think they are?!

I get the "Your hair is long!" thing, but I've always taken it as a compliment. :) I frequently get asked whether I straighten it or not, which is a bit of an odd thing to ask, but a fair enough question given that it is very straight.

But the stupidest thing I've ever been asked was "Is that your natural hair colour??" When my hair was dyed bright purple. Lolwhat. :p

Unofficial_Rose
May 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM

Growing my hair because I like it? Nooooooooooh… It must be to please someone else

I feel sorry for her :rolleyes:

I think that says so much about the kind of people she spends time with! Because it's such an extraordinary assumption.

girlcat36
May 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
And I have another!
These all seem to happen at work. My sister(2a long and shiny) came to see me at work, and and older man customer said, "Oh, was that your sister? I can see who got the good hair in the family!"
Ouch! I wanted to hide my head! LOL

Seems as though a lot of older men feel the need state the obvious regardless of how it sounds!

Dreamernz
May 31st, 2009, 12:00 PM
lol if someone said my hair was long I would jump for joy and do a victory dance!!!:o :D:D:D I don't think it's an insult at all :D:D:D

gmdiaz
May 31st, 2009, 12:00 PM
You know I haven't received ANY dumb questions or comments about my hair. . .in fact, the masses are strangely quiet, too quiet! lol

A few months ago, our UPS driver at work said something about my hair becoming freakishly long! And didn't I get headaches from all that hair? I love this guy and he's a really funny person but it's odd that this one guy that comes into our place is the only one to mention how long my hair is getting. . .not a peep out of my coworkers? It's a tiny bit odd, that's all I am saying. not really dumb.

Really, though. . .I don't receive many comments or compliments about my hair except from my husband and mother and mother in law.

The only other people who care about my hair at all. . .are longhairs!

It's funny, sometimes I think it's just makes people feel out of balance when they're around longhairs. After all, we're obviously grabbing up all the long hair for ourselves and leaving them with nothing to work with. roflolol

jahof45
May 31st, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'm not bothered by people stating the obvious, not about my hair anyway. If somebody says "your hair is long," I take it as a positive. This is how I want it, and somebody else noticed. Hooray! However, if somebody were to say to me "Your hind-end is fat," I'd be so insulted, even though it's true.

LMAO!

Ugh, the nerve of some people. If anyone ever got angry at me for not donating my hair, I'd tell them to grow and donate their *own* f&*&#37;ing hair! Who do they think they are?!

I get the "Your hair is long!" thing, but I've always taken it as a compliment. :) I frequently get asked whether I straighten it or not, which is a bit of an odd thing to ask, but a fair enough question given that it is very straight.

But the stupidest thing I've ever been asked was "Is that your natural hair colour??" When my hair was dyed bright purple. Lolwhat. :p

LOL LOL

I think that says so much about the kind of people she spends time with! Because it's such an extraordinary assumption.

LOL LOL

And I have another!
These all seem to happen at work. My sister(2a long and shiny) came to see me at work, and and older man customer said, "Oh, was that your sister? I can see who got the good hair in the family!"
Ouch! I wanted to hide my head! LOL

Seems as though a lot of older men feel the need state the obvious regardless of how it sounds!

Ouch! I'd have made a rather rude comment back at the old jerk! Your hair is lovely!

You know I haven't received ANY dumb questions or comments about my hair. . .in fact, the masses are strangely quiet, too quiet! lol

A few months ago, our UPS driver at work said something about my hair becoming freakishly long! And didn't I get headaches from all that hair? I love this guy and he's a really funny person but it's odd that this one guy that comes into our place is the only one to mention how long my hair is getting. . .not a peep out of my coworkers? It's a tiny bit odd, that's all I am saying. not really dumb.

Really, though. . .I don't receive many comments or compliments about my hair except from my husband and mother and mother in law.

The only other people who care about my hair at all. . .are longhairs!

It's funny, sometimes I think it's just makes people feel out of balance when they're around longhairs. After all, we're obviously grabbing up all the long hair for ourselves and leaving them with nothing to work with. roflolol

LMAO!

L4dybug
May 31st, 2009, 12:42 PM
I have always got, "your hair is sooo long" (when it was waist length). My hairstylist would say "it's sooo thick" and she would jokingly say it like it was a big chore, lol.

I used to go and get blonde highlights a few years ago, and when they saw me coming, they dreaded it, lol.

marialena
May 31st, 2009, 12:45 PM

"Oh."

You should have answer him that you have them on diet but they will be pleased if you allow them to get in his plate. :lol:

This question was incredibly stupid and hilarious .. sometimes I wonder how some people say such things.

Yedda
May 31st, 2009, 12:48 PM
A few years ago when my hair was longer, (Not long to LHC, maybe BSL), a lady from work that was from a country outside of the U.S. said I looked like I came from the villages. Too bad I can't remember what country she was from. Basically she was saying my hair looked like I came from somewhere outside of current civilization.:confused:

Funny thing is that I really laughed my butt off, I didn't even care.

RancheroTheBee
May 31st, 2009, 12:52 PM
I normally get the "is that your natural color" question. I get it a lot since I started using henna, because the color does look subtle enough to be real and it mostly blends with my roots. But I also got the same question when my hair was bleached white/blue-black/purple-red, or highlighted. :confused: "Uhhh. No."

I also got a lot of really rude questions when I had my head shaved.

"Are you a neo-Nazi?"
"Isn't that cold?"
"You look like a boy."
"That looks weird."

I always got that kind of comment from young children. Older people, on the other hand, would always well up with tears and thank me for donating to cancer. It was always really cute.

feralnature
May 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
When I was in Army basic training, our drill sergeants would always harass the Black females about our hair. (only us, of course) Mind you, the longest haired one out of the five of us had shoulder length hair. But whenever the drill sergeants would see one of us touch our hair, or when we were in the PX getting hygiene and hair items, they would always say something about "horse hair"- referring to hair extensions.
"Don't you go trying to sneak some of that horse hair into your head"
"Oh, are you fixing your weave? Your horse hair about to fall out? I don't know who you're trying to look pretty for."
The thing is
1. NONE of us had hair extensions.
2. NONE of us even had long hair - like I said, the longest hair was shoulder length.
3. My hair was in AFRO form. I wore cornrows and twists because it wasn't long enough to make a neat afro puff in the back of my head. So, seriously, if I'm going to wear hair extensions in basic training, where the most convenient style that conforms to Army regulations would be a bun...don't you think I'd get longer extensions so I wouldn't have to braid and twist for hours? We barely had time to sleep!
4. But finally -

Hillarious! I have horses here on the farm and if I had a horse with an Afro on it's butt I would surely post it! But, alas, I have no afro-butted-equines :(

feralnature
May 31st, 2009, 02:14 PM
My dentist ask me Thursday "How long have you been growing your hair?"

My reply - "Ah, over fifty years."

galen I love it!

jahof45
May 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Yeppers, 50 years here too. My hair is an antique.

InTheCity
May 31st, 2009, 07:01 PM
"What color do you use?"

From my aunt who I love dearly.

"You can't buy this in a box!" I said with a smile... but I can't blame her, this is the first time since I was 14 that my entire head/whole length is untouched with color.

Kristen_Marie
May 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Let's see...one of the "dumb" comments that comes to mind:

"Why bother growing your hair long? Don't you get split ends when it rubs against your butt?"

:confused:

I'm sorry, but I didn't think split ends were a curse upon people with long hair, or more specifically those who have reached that particular length. :rolleyes:

Xandergrammy
May 31st, 2009, 08:00 PM
I found it behind the couch! :couch:

:rollin: Alia, I love this! I hope I can remember it if I'm ever in that situation again. :grin:

theshadowpuppet
May 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
"Your hair looks like nothing when it's up like that, there's no way it goes to your waist, man..."

Merewen
June 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
I'm gonna admit, I can imagine myself saying something goofy like "Your hair is really long!" What I would really mean is "I love your long hair! It is gorgeous!" but my awe and admiration would turn me into Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

jahof45
June 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'm gonna admit, I can imagine myself saying something goofy like "Your hair is really long!" What I would really mean is "I love your long hair! It is gorgeous!" but my awe and admiration would turn me into Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

Thank you for clarifying this obvious response. I never know if it is a compliment when it is an obvious statement. I hear, "you're so tall" all the time but never know if it was meant to be snide or complimentary. I still just answer with a thank you but I wonder from time to time.

Jamme
June 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Agree with all the "your hair is long!" comments. It's like the people that walk up to my 6'2" friend and say "You're tall!"
Gee, never would have guessed.

I get both those comments all the time... I don't really mind the "your hair is long" comment, since, well, my goal IS getting long hair, and people saying that must mean I'm getting close (also, it's usually followed by "but, uh, it's really pretty!" when they realize they're just standing there staring :P). But the "You're tall" (or even "You're TOO tall") thing is just plain stupid. What do you want with such a comment? Obviously I've been for quite some time, and it's not really anything I can do about it.

Kerri
June 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
I get the 'your hair is long' comment often, mostly from people that have known me for a while, but have never seen my hair down.

Another frequent comment is 'Surely you must be going through a whole bottle of shampoo a week!'. Ah well, no. I don't use shampoo at all, most of the time.

Not really stupid, but not thought all the way through was the view of girl with bsl hair I once met. She thought because she was very flexible and could reach her ankles with her hands very easily she would not have a problem braiding ankle length hair. It took her a while to realize that when you bend down, your head goes down too and so does your hair :rolling:

- Kerri.

Euphony
June 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
I get comments about ~ there's no way I could have hair as long as yours, you must take forever taking care of your hair (or something along those lines). I laugh and try to explain that it's easier and faster to take care of my hair now then it was when it was shoulder length and required washing and styling daily.

I also get ~ Your hair grows so fast. Ummmm nope, mine actually grows a tad slower than average.

Pixna
June 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Oh gawrsh. I'm one of those awful people who has trouble not saying something to really tall people. I think it's because I'm so short and so incredibly envious of those who have substantial height. I guess I have some silly dream that their height will rub off on me if I get close to them. Of course, it only makes me look even shorter. So, if any of you tall folk have a shorty come up to you and make some stupid comment about your height, trying to sound complimentary, please be aware that it might be me or someone else who just really admires you and is too clumsy to figure out how to tell you politely. :o

goodluckcharm
June 1st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Usually I get someone pointing at me and yelling "GINGER! GINGER! GINGERRRRR!"

Thanks, I have red hair. Super observant.

LadyGunn
June 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM

I've had teenagers (at work) tell me "You're fat & ugly!" My response? "And you're rude. What's your point?" But, it's still hard to just let it go & forget about it.

My response to the "Your hair is long" comments is either "It's getting there" or just plain ol' "Thank you."

Fencai
June 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Because I started to Henna last year over top of my bleached blonde hair, I have the demarcation line.
It doesnt bother me and most people tell me that its cool and makes it look like flames.

However, one night at the pub it did cause one rather inebriated man to come up to me, with his face about three inches from my hair and loudly ask me

"Were you born a natural half red-head!?"

And so I told him, "yes I was! this is how I came out! The Drs still cant explain it!"

I thought my friends were going to wet themselves!

Xandergrammy
June 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
I've had teenagers (at work) tell me "You're fat & ugly!" My response? "And you're rude. What's your point?" But, it's still hard to just let it go & forget about it.

Where do you work, LadyGunn? I'm constantly appalled at the lack of common courtesy amongst the young people today. :sad

jahof45
June 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Oh gawrsh. I'm one of those awful people who has trouble not saying something to really tall people. I think it's because I'm so short and so incredibly envious of those who have substantial height. I guess I have some silly dream that their height will rub off on me if I get close to them. Of course, it only makes me look even shorter. So, if any of you tall folk have a shorty come up to you and make some stupid comment about your height, trying to sound complimentary, please be aware that it might be me or someone else who just really admires you and is too clumsy to figure out how to tell you politely. :o

Oh, Pixna, I'm always polite and say thank you. I would never try to hurt your feelings.

LadyGunn
June 1st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Where do you work, LadyGunn? I'm constantly appalled at the lack of common courtesy amongst the young people today. :sad

I work at a Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility (PRTF) for teenagers with behavioural & emotional problems. I generally got along well with them, but sometimes one would get a bee up their bum & decide the world was conspiring against them. Therefore, we as staff were to blame. :shrug:

Pixna
June 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Oh, Pixna, I'm always polite and say thank you. I would never try to hurt your feelings.

Thank you, Jahof45!! You wouldn't believe some of the dumb things I've said to tall people -- mostly guys, with my husband right there, and he's six foot, so I usually go up to guys who are super tall (like 6' 5" an up). I haven't gone up to women (yet). I think sometimes women are so insecure about their height (tall or short), that I don't want to add to their burdens. Still, I'm in awe of any woman over 6 feet. WOW! I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to see the tops of people's heads and view the world from such a high perspective. Must be fantastic up there! (Whereas from down here, I get to see people's knees and nethers and such.) :bigeyes:

Helen Baq
June 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM

Aww, that's sweet! My fiance is 6'7, so he gets a lot of comments about his height. I'm sure he'd think you were sweet! :p

Because I started to Henna last year over top of my bleached blonde hair, I have the demarcation line.
It doesnt bother me and most people tell me that its cool and makes it look like flames.

However, one night at the pub it did cause one rather inebriated man to come up to me, with his face about three inches from my hair and loudly ask me

And so I told him, "yes I was! this is how I came out! The Drs still cant explain it!"

:rollin:

Islandgrrl
June 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
My ever favorite question: How do you get your hair that color.
Um. It grows out of my head this way.

A very odd one that kind of made my brain freeze: Wow, your hair is long. Where do you get it cut?
Seriously?

And of course, the ever popular: Is all your hair red?
Do you honestly think I'm gonna ANSWER that??? Um....EYEBROWS, hello!

ChatoyantLocks
June 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
I've been thinking about posting about this since it happened a few weeks ago, but it left me fuming, and I wanted to cool down a bit before I wrote about it.

My hair was in a loose bun, and a woman walked up behind me in the restroom and asked me if I was going to sell it. I told her that I'd been growing it out for 15 years, and no, I wasn't going to sell it, in what I hoped was a quelling tone of voice. She then apologized and said she meant donate it. The details of the following conversation got a bit confusing, but ended up with the two of us in bathroom stalls next to each other, with me trying to explain that LoL is disreputable, and her asking about places that were better, so I suggested one. (Since it sounds like she knows people who donate, and I would rather that anyone who does donate, donates somewhere better.) And ended with the two of us leaving the bathroom, with her still trying to apologize for saying sell when she meant donate, and still clearly not getting the point that I was mainly offended at the idea of my hair being CUT! :mad:

angelthadiva
June 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
I have not read all the replies, but to OP:

The #1 thing people have wondered, is if my hair is real.

The #2 thing was have I ever cut my hair. :lol:

YogaGirl59
June 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
My hair is naturally very dark, my skin very light and I am also super hairy. While growing up (way before I ever had to color my hair to cover the gray) people would constantly ask me if my color was real. They just couldn't believe I could have black hair and fair skin naturally. Sometimes I would respond "Oh, yeah, I color my arm hair black too, just to get the full effect!" Usually they would just stare at my hairy arms and not know what to say!

curls2grow
June 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Depending on curl shrinkage/frizz factors, my hair can look a couple of inches different in the same week.

A lady at work passed me in the hall a while ago and said "You cut your hair!!"
Me: No, I didn't it just looks that way.
Lady: Yes you did!
Me: OK, you win. I guess you were there when it happened and I wasn't. :silly:

heynormy
June 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
"Wow, you have really long hair!"

That was back when i had hip length hair as a child. Now I am at shoulder length and struggling to grow it back!

nowxisxforever
June 1st, 2009, 07:48 PM

I tend to tell tall people that they're tall too. I'm just under 5'2".

I tend to tell them though because it startles me to look up and then realize precisely how short I am, and how incredibly tall they are, especially in comparison. Then have a "Uhhhhhhhhhh, durrrrr?" moment and go Wow. You're tall.

But then, I enjoy being Captain Obvious. Example, in 8th grade home economics... my teacher asks the class, "What is the purpose of convenience foods (or mixes or something)? and I raise my hand proudly and go ".....Convenience!?"

I wasn't quite suer what other answer she was looking for. We want convenience foods to save the polar bears and stop the glaciers from melting, I dunno...

masterofmidgets
June 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM
I love when people ask me how I grew my hair so long, like I've got some secret method that involves washing it with the blood of virgins under the full moon, instead of just not cutting it off.

I have purple streaks, and older people, especially my grandfather, will tease me sometimes and ask me if my hair grows that color.:p

Wind
June 1st, 2009, 08:50 PM
I must raise my hand sheepishly and admit I made a dumb hair comment last week. I saw a gal at work that I hadn't seen for oh...a few months I guess. In working there almost two years, her hair had always been very short, shaved neck and sort of pixieish. Last week she stopped my my department with it almost shoulder length! I said the first thing that popped into my head, "Wow, your hair is getting long!" and she gave me a total *No duh* expression. :o

GlassEyes
June 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Some of these, such as the 'It's getting so long!' comments do not read dumb, in my opinion. It's just how people show they're noticing something.

Honestly, some of the responses to some of these seem rude on OUR part, not others. I'm all for blatant and bitter sarcasm, but only when it's warranted. Sure, it isn't the best way to comment on something, but JEEZ.

Peter
June 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
I love when people ask me how I grew my hair so long, like I've got some secret method that involves washing it with the blood of virgins under the full moon, instead of just not cutting it off.

:D:D:D
(10 characters)

LadyEliza
June 2nd, 2009, 01:11 AM

Oh don't you love inebriated men? Not a hair comment, but an appearence comment...

After I sang one night at kareoke this old bloke, very drunk, came up and said

"Don't worry about the face love, you should get a recording contract!!!"

I didn't know if to be complimented or insulted!

:rolleyes:

longhairedfairy
June 2nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
I've also had the "Your hair is so long!" comment, said with wide-eyed astonishment. Lol. It was only about waist-length at the time.

longhairedfairy
June 2nd, 2009, 01:41 AM

Lol! That's probably what I would have done in your place if I'd thought of it!

Dianyla
June 2nd, 2009, 01:46 AM
"How do you go to the toilet? Doesn't the hair fall in the toilet?" about thigh length hair.
My standard response to that is "How do you go to the toilet without getting any on your clothes? :uhh:

Oh, right! You just... move them aside! Imagine that! :rolleyes:

Sarahmoon
June 2nd, 2009, 01:46 AM
I got the "do you wipe your *** with it?" comment the previous time I had long hair... fortunately didn't happen yet this time. If someone asks I'll ask them if they really thought I'm a natural brunette :roll:

And the "your hair is long" thing, but I don't see it as an insult. It was funny though when a girl who already knew me for several months suddenly called out "ooh, long!" when I was wearing it in a ponytail. I guess she didn't notice the length when it was in a braid :shrug:

Sarahmoon
June 2nd, 2009, 01:48 AM
sorry double post

hennaphile
June 2nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
"you should cut it, because then it will be long, but not too long."

lovelocs
June 2nd, 2009, 01:59 AM
I have tailbone length dreadlocks. I'd have to say the stupidest thing people say about my long hair is that I don't wash it, or asking if I twist it with cow dung. Even when i walk in to work with my hair smelling like roses and glistening from a fresh wash, folks still don't get it...

GlassEyes
June 2nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
I got the "do you wipe your *** with it?" comment the previous time I had long hair... fortunately didn't happen yet this time. If someone asks I'll ask them if they really thought I'm a natural brunette

XDDDD I'm using that one.

'Cept I have henna in my hair...wonder how that'll work itself in. :p

Tap Dancer
June 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
"If you cut your hair, it will grow back even faster!"

That sure is a stupid comment! If the plan is to grow it back faster, why cut it to begin with? :p

I haven't gotten any stupid comments...yet.

Themyst
June 2nd, 2009, 06:13 AM
I got the "do you wipe your *** with it?" comment the previous time I had long hair... fortunately didn't happen yet this time. If someone asks I'll ask them if they really thought I'm a natural brunette :roll:

That's awful. I never got that one. Must think of something witty to say if I do. Maybe something like, "Oh, I never thought of that. My, you certainly have an interesting way of doing things, don't you!":)

LutraLutra
June 2nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
I was recently asked "are you growing your hair?". Not silly unless you knew that I'd had a super short pixie crop for 6 years and now have a bob, and that that person's known me for years and years. So yeah, I'm growing my hair. :rolleyes:

LilyMunster
June 2nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
Did you dye it that color? (my hair is gray). Fortunately it was from a family member I loved very, very much. Now it is a fond memory my cousin and I laugh about.

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I work at a Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility (PRTF) for teenagers with behavioural & emotional problems. I generally got along well with them, but sometimes one would get a bee up their bum & decide the world was conspiring against them. Therefore, we as staff were to blame. :shrug:

I work at a residential drug and alcohol treatment facility for adults, but we get some very immature 18 year olds, so I can relate. We get blamed for alot too. :gabigrin:

LadyLongLocks
June 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Dumbest hair comments:

#1 dumbest has to be ...How do you go to the bathroom? (my hair is knee length)

others are...

How in the world do you wash it, you must use a ton of shampoo.

Are you going to donate it to locks of love?

"OMG" (shoCk)

Have you ever cut it?

You look like cousin It from the Adams family.

and the....Your hair is looooong

LiraelQ
June 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
I've had a number of people tell me my hair can't be my natural color. It's a mix of fine light blond, fine dark blond, and med-coarse deep red, which has the overall effect of strawberry blonde (my siggy pic doesn't really show this). How on earth could I get highlights that painted each individual hair and changed its texture?? (This is a little petty, but I'm pretty proud of my hair color, and it annoys me when people try to chock it up to hair dye. It's my phaeomelanin all the way, manufactured by my genes!)

When I'm in certain lighting it looks much more red, and I've had people I know for years (including my Dad!) go, "so, you're trying to go red, eh?" WEIRD. I think in his case it's because before I hit puberty I had the finest, thinnest, lightest blond hair ever, just like my mom. You think he'd learn, though...he's said it to me at least three times over the last few years... :shrug:

lora410
June 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
And I quote "she has hair like a horse" :rolleyes:

3azza
June 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
dumbest hair comments:
your hair is long its time you cut it (its only waist length)
your hair is beautiful but u should dye it red
your hair is beautiful but u should dye it blonde
I'm a brunete with olive skin and thick black eyebrows and i don't get it why "i should dye it any bright colour"

HotRag
June 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
I forgot this conversation:

- What happened to your hair?!?
- What?
- What have you done?
- Eeh, I've braided it.
- But, it looks so - strange!
- Hmmm...(?)
- What have you put in it?!?

Other person comes in to the conversation:

- But, that's her hair, she has just braided it.
- But what has she put in it, the braid is strange.
- She has such thick hair.
- There must be something added.
- No.
- Oh, it looks really unnatural.

Yeah! Nice! :cheese:
Nice to have thick hair, but not nice to be questioned like that, in front of a lot of people, staring at us.

I don't think I have that "unnatural" thick hair. Many here has similar or thicker (what would she think about them..?).

HotRag
June 2nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
How in the world do you wash it, you must use a ton of shampoo.
Yep, 10 times longer than another person = using 100 times more shampoo. ;)

I have also gotten this comment, not now, but when I had longer hair in the 90's.

And why do people ask how one are going to the toilet?
I've got that one too, but can't understand why ask something like that (if it is not a joke, but then there use to be some "haha" added, not :confused:).

Kiraela
June 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
(Whereas from down here, I get to see people's knees and nethers and such.) :bigeyes:

I hear you on that one. I'm barely 5'1 (if I've stretched beforehand!). I have found, though, that with my male friends, almost none of which are less than 6'4, if they start getting irritating, or start making short jokes, I can always ball up a fist and say "Think about what is directly level with my fist and rephrase that, yes?" I've noticed that no men can ignore having their nethers threatened in such a manner!

I try not to make the captain obvious remarks towards hair, though. I always at least try to phrase it as 'wow, your hair is so pretty long!' or simply 'your hair is beautiful!'.

Pixna
June 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
I hear you on that one. I'm barely 5'1 (if I've stretched beforehand!). I have found, though, that with my male friends, almost none of which are less than 6'4, if they start getting irritating, or start making short jokes, I can always ball up a fist and say "Think about what is directly level with my fist and rephrase that, yes?" I've noticed that no men can ignore having their nethers threatened in such a manner!

Heh-heh! I forgot about that single "advantage" of being this short. I will definitely have to keep that one in mind! :smirk:

BrianaFineHair
June 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Me: I'm growing my hair long, at least mid back.
Lady: Why would you do that? You're not supposed to have long hair. I've always known you with that pixie.

Why would I need to explain it or answer to her when she asks such an ignorant question?

I should have answered with a question, "Why do you do what you do to your hair.?

Calista
June 2nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
"does the carpet match the drapes?"
In Germany we have a saying for redheads "the rustier the roof, the damper the cellar." :scared: :lol:

Islandgrrl
June 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
In Germany we have a saying for redheads "the rustier the roof, the damper the cellar."

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: Speechless.

Mike
June 2nd, 2009, 12:24 PM
You look like a girl. I would love to hear some of your ideas for a response.
I have a deep voice so I could say "I am" and just stare and wait for the reply. That could be amusing.
Or "I look like a girl? Wow you have terrible taste in women"

You look like a girl is just a stupid comment that I hear too often because I have chosen to grow my hair long. It bothers me less and less but it is just so...childish. Maybe I'll start saying Thank You.
Mike

Pixna
June 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
I have a deep voice so I could say "I am" and just stare and wait for the reply. That could be amusing.

You look like a girl is just a stupid comment that I hear too often because I have chosen to grow my hair long. It bothers me less and less but it is just so...childish. Maybe I'll start saying Thank You.
Mike

LOL!!! Saying "thank you" would probably leave them speechless (not necessarily a bad thing!). I love your other answers, too. Sorry you've been harassed this way, though.

florenonite
June 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM

I haven't asked it, but I might ask because I think it's gorgeous and think the person's so fortunate to have it. I feel slightly less envious if I discover it's not natural :p

And as far as whether "your hair is long" being stupid...i still maintain that it is. If you want to compliment my hair, tell me it looks nice. If you want to insult it, tell me it looks like shite. But don't make a general statement of fact and expect me to be able to interpret what you mean by it. That'd be like going up to a beautiful woman and saying "wow, you're a woman." And?

I think this depends on the tone of voice it's said in. If it's completely deadpan "your hair's long" then, yeah, it's a bit of a stupid comment. If it's said in a tone of awe, then I see it as a compliment, the fact that your hair's long is directly related to them thinking it's beautiful :shrug:

I tend to tell them though because it startles me to look up and then realize precisely how short I am, and how incredibly tall they are, especially in comparison. Then have a "Uhhhhhhhhhh, durrrrr?" moment and go Wow. You're tall.

I've got a friend who insists I'm short because he's 6'2" (whilst I'm about 5'5") and once, when I was a wee bit tipsy, I looked up and realised he was tall and said "wow, you're tall!" He maintains he's not tall, but I'm short.

Mike

If you have a five o'clock shadow or anything going you could also act all offended because you're a girl with facial hair :p

enfys
June 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
The dumbest not yet listed hair comment I've had was in school. It was ok, my friend was more embaressed than me.

"You know, your hair's so long I bet my baby sister could swing on it. Obviously not the hair at the top I mean the hair down there, no, um I mean....."

It was amazing. My hair was classic so even when he gestured to "down there" meaning the tips it didn't make things any better.

I'm hoping now I'm older on average people will be less dumb, but I'm not counting on it. Dumb comments are replaced by pervy comments from old men customers. Yucky yuck. Give me Captain Obvious any day.

kate46
June 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
When my natural colour had grown out to about chin length, my colleague said to me, " Kate isn't it time you did your roots?"! :confused:

jahof45
June 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I have tailbone length dreadlocks. I'd have to say the stupidest thing people say about my long hair is that I don't wash it, or asking if I twist it with cow dung. Even when i walk in to work with my hair smelling like roses and glistening from a fresh wash, folks still don't get it...

I would love to see a photo of your hair!

Enfys, I have to agree that Captain Obvious is much better than old Mr. Pervwhacker. ugh!

klcqtee
June 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Since my hair isn't that long, I never really get weird hair comments. Sometimes I'll have people ask me "Why are you so short?" I usually tell them, "If I were any taller, my feet wouldn't reach the ground!"

I do have to admit that I am incredibly guilty of, "You're hair is so long!" and "Can I sproing your hair? Just once, please? I promise I won't ask again." You know, like really curly hair that spirals, and you just want to pull it straight and go "Sproing!" Really, it's all done in envy. I wish that my hair was so long! And the curly thing...well, when I curl my hair, I sit all day and sproing it. How can I resist someone else's hair? I do ask though!

GlassEyes
June 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
When my natural colour had grown out to about chin length, my colleague said to me, " Kate isn't it time you did your roots?"! :confused:
Haha, proof no one realizes you can grow out dye instead of dyeing it another color. xD; I find that hilarious.

Quixii
June 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Of course the "Your hair is long!" thing, as most of you have said. I usually respond with, "No, is it? Gasp!"
I also hate the "Are you going to donate it?" Yeah, I've just been growing my hair since I was born and taking care of it and trying to grow it as long as possible to cut it all off and give it to some charity. :|

Flynn
June 3rd, 2009, 12:35 AM
Ooh! Ooh! I have a good one! Not a comment though...

My boyfriend has ... well, if it makes any sense to use the term "BSL" for a guy, he's about halfway between APL and BSL, 3B, ~i-ii, and gorgeous. Except that it's very thin compared to mine, I really, really envy his hair. He also has a muskteer-style beard and (curled) moustache.

We were sitting on the train the other day. I kind of had my head propped on his shoulder, but in such a way that I could see and be seen by the people behind us. There was an older lady two rows behind and across the aisle from us who was giving us the most disapproving looks, and she wasn't looking away when I made eye contact. This was a real spitting-over-the-shoulder disapproving glare. (Did I mention she was Mediterranean of some description? You know the stereotype... she pretty much conformed to that.)

I was getting a bit uncomfortable, as I couldn't work out why she was so disapproving. Sure, perhaps she didn't approve of my burying my face in my boyfriend's shoulder in public, but still, that seemed to be taking it too far...

Unless, of course, I was burying my face in my girlfriend's shoulder...

He's only about my size, (well, actually, he's exactly my size, plus a couple of centimetres height)... fairly slim for a bloke, and both of us were just wearing tee-shirts and jeans... She wouldn't have been able to see his face from where she was sitting, and he was wearing his hair out.

I explained to him, he had a bit of a giggle, and glanced behind himself. The lady looked shocked, and kept her eyes to herself thereafter!

florenonite
June 3rd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Since my hair isn't that long, I never really get weird hair comments. Sometimes I'll have people ask me "Why are you so short?" I usually tell them, "If I were any taller, my feet wouldn't reach the ground!"

I do have to admit that I am incredibly guilty of, "You're hair is so long!" and "Can I sproing your hair? Just once, please? I promise I won't ask again." You know, like really curly hair that spirals, and you just want to pull it straight and go "Sproing!" Really, it's all done in envy. I wish that my hair was so long! And the curly thing...well, when I curl my hair, I sit all day and sproing it. How can I resist someone else's hair? I do ask though!

I've got a friend with long (BSL or so, though he's male) 3a hair, and I've been known to just sproing his hair without permission. It drives him mad, but I can't resist! If I had curly hair I'd spend all day faffing with my curls XP

jahof45
June 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
My DH actually said, "it's only hair" to me this morning when I complained that I was shedding too much. GASP!

windinherhair
June 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I once had a lady ask me how I was able to sleep with hair so long. I don't know if she thought I would get strangled by it or something. :) I have always slept with my hair down and back over my pillow, and it has never bothered me.

Charlize
June 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
I probably have gotten 3 somewhat stupid comments about my hair that I can think of.

1. My former boss once asked me: "what do you actually do with all that hair - what do you use it for?" So apparently, I had to have a specific purpose for my hair! Hmm...

2. A girl at a party once asked me if I used the 'luxurious hair' clip-ons from the Informercials. That was before extensions were used by everyone.

3. A couple of years ago I got my hair colored into a really beautiful ash blonde color. Then someone from work asked me: "Did your hair turn grey over night?" I didn't look grey at all. She just didn't know that many shades of blondes!

ecologystudent
June 3rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Once, when my hair was in a ponytail, my grandma said: "I didn't recognize you, because you look like a boy". With my hair in a ponytail, as a 12 year old, from 20 feet away? Really, grandma?

jahof45
June 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
When I was a teen with APL hair, I was constantly mistaken for a boy. I know I didn't have much of a figure but dang! I got tired of hereing, "excuse me young man".

pdy2kn6
June 3rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
mine would have to be....the typical are you a girl? can people not get over that long hair is not considered girly in this modern age??? i understand if i had pigtails and a pink pretty ribbon in my hair, but not when its just tucked away in a bun with a tiny black hairstick, or tied back in a ponytail......i guess these type of people will always be around, there will always be people with something to say, whether its good or bad

oh i forgot to add, its not a comment, but it always makes me laugh when i am in the bathroom washing my hands our something and then a guy walks in and the look of confusion and hesitation on his face, that he might have walked into the girls bathroom by mistake. haha. its happened a few times.

holomi
June 4th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I've never gotten offensive comments really, but the ones that I have are by creepy old men that say things like, you know what they say about redheads, is it true? I just look at them in confusion and I think they get embarrassed because they don't want to spell it out for me, especially in the presence of other people.

Most just say I have beautiful hair. One old man says, "you know that red hair is the most rare color in the world?" (I take it as a compliment.)

As for the comments about how you do things with your hair (bathroom, wash, sleep) I think it's just because people do not understand and are curious. I wouldn't take them as offensive unless you know they are specifically trying to hurt you.

I know that I have wondered the same things about women with extremely long fingernails. I would never ask, but if I was a bolder girl, I just might.

jahof45
June 4th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I've never gotten offensive comments really, but the ones that I have are by creepy old men that say things like, you know what they say about redheads, is it true? I just look at them in confusion and I think they get embarrassed because they don't want to spell it out for me, especially in the presence of other people.

I use a similar look toward anyone that is acting in some minor capacity as authority. The people who think they have to control the populous! I call it my "dazed and confused" look. :poot: It's amazing how it stops them from yelling at me for whatever infraction they perceive I've committed. LOL

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I agree, the stating the obvious thing is really old after awhile "Gosh, your hair is so long!!" Really? Never noticed it! :rolleyes:

I got a comment from an old man in the grocery store the other day...."Your hair is longer than half as long as your body!" Verbatim, that's what he said. I think it works out to saying my hair is longer than half my body height. :pinktongue:

carloota
June 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
A few days ago, I was walking through the employee lounge at work. I overheard a woman tell her companion, "Her hair is FREAKISHLY long".

Is waist length hair considered freakish? :confused:

NiAosSi
June 4th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Dumb: "When it's long enough, will you cut it?"
Dumber: "Your hair is too long."
Dumbest: "Is it fake?"

jahof45
June 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
A few days ago, I was walking through the employee lounge at work. I overheard a woman tell her companion, "Her hair is FREAKISHLY long".

Is waist length hair considered freakish? :confused:

No, there is no such thing as TOO long when it comes to hair. You might have to point out her freakish nose hair the next time you see her. That was totally uncalled for because in this crowd waist length is still shorter hair. :-)

HotRag
June 5th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Haha, LOL. Like "yes, when my hair becomes just like I want, I will cut it to destroy that".

Runzel
June 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Honestly, none are coming to mind.

When I was touring with a singing group and took my hair down to prepare it for the concert style, hardly a day went my when someone in the group did not comment on "your hair is so long!" (it wasn't even waist length at the time.) But it was said with such a sense of awe and wonder that I never thought of it as stupid, just a compliment or a recognition of beauty. Kind of like when people say I have long eyelashes...I don't think "well, duh. That's a dumb comment." Rather, I say "thank you" and put a little sping in my step with gratefulness towards the God who gave them to me, as I certainly didn't make them that way myself.

As for the other questions, I just consider them to be small talk from people who are curious. :shrug:

ElizaSea
June 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM

I was at my coffee shop and my hair was in a french braid. This old man outside asked me if I had a maid. I was very confused and said no, thinking he was going to make a comment about me showing up at the coffee shop all hours of day and night (which I was, for a while). Instead, he asked me how I braided my hair myself, because it was so lovely, and talked fondly about how he used to braid his daughter's hair. :o Awwwww! He told me to never cut it, and I said I didn't plan on it. I love sweet old men!

Darkhorse1
June 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Yep, I've gotten the 'is this real?" from people---the most shocking? From a HAIR DRESSER!! I was in to get a trim since my regular hair dresser was on mat leave, and I think the girl was new. She kept running her fingers through my hair (I'd had it in a braid from working and my braid takes a lot of length away). She gasped and said 'that braid is mis-leading', and kept running her fingers through my hair to get the braid waves out. That's when she said 'you have gorgeous hair, is it real?".

Um, wouldn't a hair dresser know?? I'm assuming you'd know if someone had extensions or a wig :D She then made a comment on locks of love, but she just said if I ever thought about cutting it, I could donate it, but then she asked if I colored it and I said yes.

jahof45
June 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I was at my coffee shop and my hair was in a french braid. This old man outside asked me if I had a maid. I was very confused and said no, thinking he was going to make a comment about me showing up at the coffee shop all hours of day and night (which I was, for a while). Instead, he asked me how I braided my hair myself, because it was so lovely, and talked fondly about how he used to braid his daughter's hair. :o Awwwww! He told me to never cut it, and I said I didn't plan on it. I love sweet old men!

Awwww! That is so sweet!

Islandgrrl
June 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
OMG....I had the most hilarious comment - well really a question - from one of my newer yoga students this morning. I wear my hair up all the time...for yoga it's usually bunned with a ficcare so it doesn't fall out while I'm teaching & demonstrating.

I forgot my ficcare this morning and I'm wearing a couple of wood sticks.

I was demo-ing an upside down thing and the sticks slid out. When I stood up, my hair all tumbled down - it's officially waist length all of a sudden.

So after class, this yoga person came up to me and asked me if I got paid a lot to teach yoga. ( :confused: ) I said no, not really. Which is true. She then said,

"Do you need money for a haircut, honey? I could help you out if you do."

Seriously, I thought my head would explode from trying not to laugh. But I did manage to politely thank her for her concern and tell her that I was growing long ON PURPOSE. She got a really confused look on her face and murmured something I didn't hear and wandered away.

Stormsong
June 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM
And once in a while someone will ask " if I sneak from the back and cut your hair one day what would you do?"

I think mine would have been 'instructing my lawyer to get the charge reduced to manslaughter'.

My hair's been many lengths, and various colours, some intentional, some, not quite what had been intended.... and I don't think I've ever really had any stupid questions/statements about my hair. Now, the 'you're so tall' comments I've had since I was a young girl, plus there's the 'you're already so tall, why do you wear heels?', one day I'm going to reply with, 'you're so short, why don't you wear stilts?'.

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Yep, I've gotten the 'is this real?" from people---the most shocking? From a HAIR DRESSER!! I was in to get a trim since my regular hair dresser was on mat leave, and I think the girl was new. She kept running her fingers through my hair (I'd had it in a braid from working and my braid takes a lot of length away). She gasped and said 'that braid is mis-leading', and kept running her fingers through my hair to get the braid waves out. That's when she said 'you have gorgeous hair, is it real?".

Um, wouldn't a hair dresser know?? I'm assuming you'd know if someone had extensions or a wig :D She then made a comment on locks of love, but she just said if I ever thought about cutting it, I could donate it, but then she asked if I colored it and I said yes.

If it was human hair she wouldn't be able to tell unlelss she touched your scalp.

I'm stating again for emphasis that a lot of these seem rude (not you DarkHorse, this is a separate thing), and are completely against what we say most of the time here, that 'those who cut their hair and tell us to do so are rude', when apparently we can't een accept a compliment graciously, even if it comes in the form of something that can be answered with blatant, biting sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Kiraela
June 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zift http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=610293#post610293)

I think mine would have been 'instructing my lawyer to get the charge reduced to manslaughter'.

Mine would be "I'll kill you and plead self defense!" After all, as far as I am concerned, somebody just came up to me with sharp objects and started trying to cut off body parts.

I had somebody threaten to do that once. He said he preferred women with short hair, and wanted to cut mine for me one day when I wasn't looking. I proceeded to (loudly and angrily) explain my position on the matter. Then DBF proceeded to explain that if I did not, in fact, kill him if he did that, then he'd have to worry about an angry blacksmith with a piece of pipe.

For some reason, I don't recall seing that person ever again.....

Firegarnet
June 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I've gotten the "How do you go to the bathroom" one from a friend. I actually did go into the moving the hair aside thing because she was honestly very confused. :confused:

I get the "Wow, it's long!" comment a lot-I have classic length. I didn't used to know what to do, but now I give them a huge smile and say "Thank you!" That usually confuses the ones that are disapproving.

I have gotten the LoL occasionally. I say, "I have heard of them" and smile.

I have gotten the "But if it gets any longer (it was waist length) you'll be a freak!" from a family friend. I ignored him.

This week the mailman at work asked "Are you Pentecostal or something because you have really long hair . . . they grow it to like their ankles. . .hey, you're not going to do that are you?" he was very concerned that I would. I said with my usual huge smile, "However long as it gets!":D

I answer most things with a huge smile because they usually happen at work and I find smiles generally diffuse situations. I've gone home from work with my cheeks aching sometimes, especially when I worked retail.

At college another longhair teased me with the "what would you do if I cut your hair with these scissors?" I told him I'd use them on something he'd miss. But it was mostly good humored teasing on both sides. Mostly :p

My boss is usually shocked when I compliment another woman on her haircut. He says, "You have the longest hair of anyone I know and you're saying that the short haircut looks good??" Well, if the person loves their cut and if it looks half-way decent, then yes, I will say it looks good. It doesn't mean I want her haircut!;)

I get older men staring at my hair often, especially when I'm out at the grocery store. I smile and they say how lovely it is long and I usually get a story about a woman in their lives who had it long once but then cut it and they miss it. If the woman under discussion is nearby I get a really vicious glare.:(

The most uncomfortable one I get is when I wear a snood. I love them for days when I've a bad headache when I can't deal with my hair loose but it hurts to have up. But most people think it is a religious thing and it creates awkward situations at work. :(

When I see another longhair I generally go with "I love your hair!" I do the same when I see a really lovely dye, cool nail polish (except, it's "I love your nails!") etc. I try to go with an actual compliment instead of stating the obvious. Because it really does irritate some people.

swanns
June 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I definitely take the 'You have long hair' comments as compliments, reminds me that I've finally reached a goal I've wanted to reach all my life :) I still have no idea how to react though, I just go 'yeah, I know'.

My co-workers hadn't seen my hair down for over six months and I let it down the other day to re-do my bun and a friend of mine just stared at me for a while, then told me to turn around and I did, and all three of them went 'woah!', then we kept talking about something else and after a short while she told me to turn around again. It was funny, yet weird.

'I could never live with such a f****ng furry hat on my head!' That came from another friend at work, and we always say such blunt things to each other anyway that you'd have to be pretty up yourself to mind in those circumstances. But out of the context it really sounds about the rudest thing anyone could say!

A few years ago, when I was at a salon to get a trim, the girl who was cutting my hair was so amazed at the thickness she actually asked the other hair-dresser who was in the back room to come and try how thick it was. So there they were wrapping their hands around my ponytail. I kind of like it when my hair gets attention though so I didn't mind.

I always brush my hair before I put it up so that it looses the curls and looks more wavy than curly, yet a lot of people have asked me if it's naturally curly. As if I'd curl it to have a few really tight curls at the front and just leave it wavy everywhere else!

I've also been asked what I'd do if someone just cut my hair without asking for my permission.

The stupidest question to me is how my hair got so long. Seriously! Is there more than one way to get your hair naturally long??

Then there's the 'how long are you going to let it grow?' When you say as long as it gets they just stare at you incredulously.

eternallyverdan
June 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM

That's true, but if someone came up to me and said "You have a hind-end," my reaction would probably be bzuh? It really does depend on the tone of voice with the "You have really long hair" comments, but it seems like people should say something aside from the obvious, like, "you have really beautiful long hair," or "Your hair looks like you cut off a horse's tail and glued it to your head." At least that would be less awkward than stating the obvious.

Also, not really a stupid thing someone said to me, but once I was at the dentist with my hair down, and I had it sort of draped over the edge of the chair, and he rolled on it with his wheely dentist chair a couple times before I could frantically gesture that something was wrong. :poot:

Maria

yogachic
June 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM
A "friend" telling me constantly I need to cut my hair, it looks horrible.

carloota
June 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
You might have to point out her freakish nose hair the next time you see her.
:spitting:LOL @ "freakish nose hair".

jahof45
June 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Yogachic, I'd have to find a new "friend". People are so rude and insensitive sometimes.

Runzel
June 6th, 2009, 11:36 AM
OMG....I had the most hilarious comment - well really a question - from one of my newer yoga students this morning. I wear my hair up all the time...for yoga it's usually bunned with a ficcare so it doesn't fall out while I'm teaching & demonstrating.

I forgot my ficcare this morning and I'm wearing a couple of wood sticks.

I was demo-ing an upside down thing and the sticks slid out. When I stood up, my hair all tumbled down - it's officially waist length all of a sudden.

So after class, this yoga person came up to me and asked me if I got paid a lot to teach yoga. ( :confused: ) I said no, not really. Which is true. She then said,

"Do you need money for a haircut, honey? I could help you out if you do."

Seriously, I thought my head would explode from trying not to laugh. But I did manage to politely thank her for her concern and tell her that I was growing long ON PURPOSE. She got a really confused look on her face and murmured something I didn't hear and wandered away.

Aww, she sounds like a sweet lady...that's pretty funny though!

[off topic]It reminds me of a woman I knew who wanted to have more than the socially acceptable 2.5 kids, and by the first 4 or so her mother was offering to sell her own wedding ring in order to pay for her daughter to get her tubes tied. The woman thanked her mother for the offer but continued to patiently explain that she wants to have a larger family, something that didn't make much sense to her mom and took many assurances before she would believe it. As I recall they were a very happy, large family. :)[/off topic]

Kiraela
June 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
You know, that always confused me. "2.5 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence"...

How on earth do you get 2.5 kids?? Either we're talking some kind of time-share arrangement, or there are a lot of missing body parts out there that I wasn't aware of.

(and what if I want 3 cats and a black wrought iron fence instead? does that make me weird?)

swanns
June 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
[off topic]It reminds me of a woman I knew who wanted to have more than the socially acceptable 2.5 kids, and by the first 4 or so her mother was offering to sell her own wedding ring in order to pay for her daughter to get her tubes tied. The woman thanked her mother for the offer but continued to patiently explain that she wants to have a larger family, something that didn't make much sense to her mom and took many assurances before she would believe it. As I recall they were a very happy, large family. :)[/off topic]

I think it's only about 1.5 kids here where I live, 4 is considered a very big family already! Weird people :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention the 'How do you sleep?' in my previous post. I was asked this at work the other day and answered I braid it. The question remained. 'But doesn't it press your back??' If it does I just adjust it so that it doesn't.

It's also funny when people say you must need an awful lot of shampoo. Well, not any more than I needed with short hair! I do have to buy one bottle of conditioner about every two weeks though :p

When I get asked if I have always had such long hair and tell I actually had a pixie five years ago people do look kind of incredulous. I guess a lot of people think long hair is something you've either always had or will never have.

Everytime I get questioned about my hair (which usually happens at work for some reason, us cleaners are such gossipers) I feel like my answers are very rude simply because they're not the kind of answers they want. I think they'd want me to tell my hair's is a heck of a lot of trouble and that I'll cut it the minute I get a chance to do so :confused:

holomi
June 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM

I don't think I'm dumb... but I've asked someone if their hair was real before when I was younger.

It was extremely long, frizz-free curly tailbone length hair. It was SO beautiful, the prettiest hair I have ever seen. I did not think hair like that existed.

I asked her, and she looked annoyed. I told her it was lovely, but still... I was kind of hurt by the whole thing. Why is this a dumb question?

florenonite
June 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
My wee sister today at the mall pointed to a shirt and said to me "This would look really good on you if you straightened your hair." Um, my hair's pretty close to straight already if I comb it when it's wet, why would I apply heat to straighten it?

invisiblebabe
June 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Thank you, Jahof45!! You wouldn't believe some of the dumb things I've said to tall people -- mostly guys, with my husband right there, and he's six foot, so I usually go up to guys who are super tall (like 6' 5" an up). I haven't gone up to women (yet). I think sometimes women are so insecure about their height (tall or short), that I don't want to add to their burdens. Still, I'm in awe of any woman over 6 feet. WOW! I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to see the tops of people's heads and view the world from such a high perspective. Must be fantastic up there! (Whereas from down here, I get to see people's knees and nethers and such.) :bigeyes:

lol, I've told tall women that I'd love to be their height :) I'm 5'7" but would love more inches ;)

Kiraela
June 6th, 2009, 07:04 PM
My wee sister today at the mall pointed to a shirt and said to me "This would look really good on you if you straightened your hair." Um, my hair's pretty close to straight already if I comb it when it's wet, why would I apply heat to straighten it?

The real question is, why would hairstyle affect how the shirt looks on you? Is it going to make you look lumpy if your hair is wavy? If you curled it, would the shirt ride up in the back and show your underpants?? :eyebrows: hehe.

LittleOrca
June 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I was getting ready to do a mayo treatment and my stepdad asked me what I was doing. When I told him, he pointed a fish stick at me and said "Wouldn't tartar sauce be better?"

sneakybea
June 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I was getting ready to do a mayo treatment and my stepdad asked me what I was doing. When I told him, he pointed a fish stick at me and said "Wouldn't tartar sauce be better?"
:rolling: That's hilarious!
I haven't really had anyone say dumb things about my hair, but some people have said really odd things. Once a stranger on the street just got mad at me for having so much hair, volume more than length, it seemed. Maybe he thought there's a finite amount of hair in the world, and I was hogging it?
Another time a guy on the bus was complimenting my hair, asking me how I got it to grow so long, did I cut the bangs, etc. Then when I was getting off the bus he asked me how my hair would look on his head! I just giggled, but I should have said "not as good as it does on mine!"

winter_star
June 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I had a rather stupid and insulting comment from a girl at work a few months ago, she said "Wow look how long your hair is getting! I'm not a huge fan of long hair, I think it looks like a big carpet on people's heads." :justy:

diginado
June 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Dumbest comment - your hair is getting so long now that you are not cutting it!
Did they think it was supposed to stay at one length until the next cut? Or it would stop growing from so many cuts?

Most ignorant comment - Should you be growing your hair at your age?
At what age should I stop? Is it sapping my strength or vitality?

Kodama
June 6th, 2009, 11:51 PM
One of the ladies at work asked me if my bun was a clip-on. I decided to take it as a compliment -- she said she thought it was fake because it was "so perfect."

Thing is, she's worked there just as long as I have, so she's seen me go from a blond pixie to my current two-fist bun -- Why was my long hair suddenly a revelation to her?

Re: being tall -- don't wish for this. It might come true. :sad

Cassi
June 6th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I have gone into work on my off day with my hair down and my three boys and apparently I blend in because they don't recognize me until I start talking to them..... "Oh crap Cassi, I didn't recognize you with your hair like that!" One of the managers had never seen it down. I am not sure if it was a compliment, insult or neutral.

I was a little annoyed by a comment about how my braids get thinner at the ends because it was from someone who has hair A LOT shorter than mine. After the comment she immediately started bragging about how thick her braid was at the end when she had long hair 20 years ago. First of all.... we are older now than you were then (she was like 19 or something) and we have lost a little thickness to age, and second of all.... I have layers so it does taper the braid. She made me feel like my braids were wimpy or something. ugh. :cool: Show me your braids now stinker!

When people ask me stuff like "will you ever cut it?" "will you donate?" etc my answer is almost always "maybe" because then they don't have an answer they can argue with. If I say "no" then they seem to feel they need to convince me I am wrong.... especially people who cut hair. I think they really like cutting long hair off!!

swanns
June 7th, 2009, 04:15 AM
A couple of years ago, I guess my hair was a bit below BSL but it's so thick that it already caught attention, I had my hair down and was just walking down the street on a rather windy day when this old-ish man shouted from about ten meters away 'Nice hair!' and winked at me :D It was weird but the way he said it was definitely a compliment.

Also I've been told by people to never cut my hair because that is how they recognice me from behind :D Wonder how that works now that I almost always wear it up in buns... Maybe they recognice the buns? Not that many people wear hairstick buns round here.

natt i nord
June 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM
My mother as she saw me putting my hair into a cinnamon: "You put it up all the time, why don't you just cut it short?"

Thanks, I didn't ask you.

Sarahmoon
June 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
heheh :D the shampoo thing is funny. I admit previous time my hair was longer than average I really used a lot of shampoo, but I know better now.
I'm currently living abroad for several months. I bought a new bottle of shampoo when I came here and about 4 months later, I used about a quarter of it. Then my bf came and we share the shampoo bottle. Within two weeks, only a quarter of it was left and yes, he has short hair :D

Brownie
June 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
My mother as she saw me putting my hair into a cinnamon: "You put it up all the time, why don't you just cut it short?"

My mother used to say this all the time :rolleyes:

florenonite
June 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
The real question is, why would hairstyle affect how the shirt looks on you? Is it going to make you look lumpy if your hair is wavy? If you curled it, would the shirt ride up in the back and show your underpants?? :eyebrows: hehe.

Haha, I have no idea :o

MissBiss
June 7th, 2009, 01:57 PM

I don't think I'm dumb... but I've asked someone if their hair was real before when I was younger.

It was extremely long, frizz-free curly tailbone length hair. It was SO beautiful, the prettiest hair I have ever seen. I did not think hair like that existed.

I asked her, and she looked annoyed. I told her it was lovely, but still... I was kind of hurt by the whole thing. Why is this a dumb question?
The question isn't dumb so much as tactless. You wouldn't ask someone if their nose or breasts were real, so why ask that about hair?

holomi
June 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
The question isn't dumb so much as tactless. You wouldn't ask someone if their nose or breasts were real, so why ask that about hair?

Hmm, I probably would ask if I saw something exceptional. Breasts, probably not... since those are a more private body part. I guess I'm tactless.

I am not one to be easily offended, and I can be very blunt so I suppose I forget others might not be this way.

Thanks for the explanation.

Eryka
June 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
As a matter of fact, I got this comment last night at a concert with my hair down and braided:

Wow, you could use that thing as a weapon.

swanns
June 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hairsticks seem to really confuse people. I've been asked twice in the last few weeks why I've put a pen up in my hair :rolleyes:

granitbaby
June 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
One of my best friends said to me
-You are the only person I know who has long hair and wears it up all the time, you should cut it.

I think I just stared at her, and asked her how I would put it in different up dos if it was short?:rolleyes:

Eryka
June 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hairsticks seem to really confuse people. I've been asked twice in the last few weeks why I've put a pen up in my hair :rolleyes:

Reminds me of my school days. I used pencils a lot because you could sharpen them, so they slide easier in your hair. I've also stolen chopsticks from the local Chinese places.

Hey, necessity is the mother of all invention.

Nyghtingale
June 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I had someone comment the other day that I must eat alot of Chinese food cause I always had chopsticks in my hair, lol

hennaphile
June 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
As a matter of fact, I got this comment last night at a concert with my hair down and braided:

That's actually not so dumb; I used to do that when my brother was annoying me.

jahof45
June 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I had someone comment the other day that I must eat alot of Chinese food cause I always had chopsticks in my hair, lol

LOL, too funny!

Carolyn
June 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I had someone comment the other day that I must eat alot of Chinese food cause I always had chopsticks in my hair, lolThat's kind of a cute comment. Depending on the spirit of the comment.

Marie99
June 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
let's see:

You look like Cousin It.
Good. I was hoping to. Now if I can get one of those funny cars...I'll be all set.

You got a hair cut.
No, the humidity and heat went away and my hair calmed down.

Why are you the only one in your family with red hair?
I'm not, I have about 20 cousins with red hair. Anyway its a ressesive gene, meaning all my brothers could be carrying it. Like, you know, I picked it out at birth and my brothers decided to be brunettes like mom and dad.

What's it for?
Its not for anything, it just is.

Does your husband make you have long hair?
No. This is 2009 and he's not my owner and can't make me do anything. He actually doesn't care what I do as long as the hair monster doesn't strangle him in his sleep. OK, he's woken up with a couple stands in his face and mouth so I started wearing a braid to bed to control the creeping hair monster. It doesn't strangle you, it goes after people you sleep with!

Kiraela
June 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
One of my best friends said to me
-You are the only person I know who has long hair and wears it up all the time, you should cut it.

I think I just stared at her, and asked her how I would put it in different up dos if it was short?:rolleyes:

I think that would be roughly my response, too. " Why would I cut it? Then I couldn't put it up!"

Nyghtingale
June 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
LOL, too funny!

I remember thinking, "Why am I pending so much money on hairsticks when she thinks I use chopsticks", lol

swanns
June 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I think that would be roughly my response, too. " Why would I cut it? Then I couldn't put it up!"

Seriously! Why do people thing putting hair up = having short hair. Those are two completely different looks!

mira-chan
June 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Relating to putting hair up.

I am told that I must be a ballet dancer (not any other dance) becuase I wear buns.

Nope, I move like an ungraceful elephant in that type of dance last I checked. :p

WelshLocks
June 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
"Is that your natural color?"
when my hair was clearly a plumb purple color....:shrug:

"Did you get a hair cut?"
No it just molts about this time of year. Watch out it may happen to you next.

:)

bugeyedmonster2
June 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM

Pictures Eryka as a ninja, doing braided hair kung fu thing.

Okay I do once remember seeing some really cheesy Japanese comic where these two armless warriors fought with their braids.

bugeyedmonster2
June 7th, 2009, 11:36 PM

OMG, I can't believe I forgot my sister's ice skating lessons! My sister has always had long hair, and once she was doing a spin on the ice (her hair flying behind her) and it hit someone who got a bit too close. This person (a woman) actually gave a very audible "OUCH!" My sis apologized, and the lady laughed about being hit by my sister's braid. I think she also told my sister that she could use it as a weapon.

bugeyedmonster2
June 7th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Does your husband make you have long hair?
No. This is 2009 and he's not my owner and can't make me do anything. He actually doesn't care what I do as long as the hair monster doesn't strangle him in his sleep. OK, he's woken up with a couple stands in his face and mouth so I started wearing a braid to bed to control the creeping hair monster. It doesn't strangle you, it goes after people you sleep with!

LOL! :run: IT'S THE ATTACK OF THE HAIR MONSTER!

hennaphile
June 8th, 2009, 12:01 AM

I am told that I must be a ballet dancer (not any other dance) becuase I wear buns.

Nope, I move like an ungraceful elephant in that type of dance last I checked. :p

But what if it could give you that power :eyebrows:

longhairedfairy
June 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM

Well, lots of ballet dancers are super clumsy whenever they're not dancing. Lol.

Heidi_234
June 8th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I've got this one idiot at work who asked me "Why do you put your hair up in this bun thing all the time, want the boss to take you seriously?" :rolleyes:
No, I want to have a weapon at hand for people like you. #$&#37;^$.

Cassi
June 8th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I was posting on another line and realized I had a really weird comment once. A guy mentioned my hair being curly in a very disapproving manner and grumbled something about teenagers being to sexual for the public eye!!! I had it down that day. He must have thought I was a teenager..... I tried to take it as a compliment but he meant it as an insult! I am sexy and young looking!! YAY :happydance:

Kiraela
June 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Yeah, that is one benefit to hairsticks. If you ever have the all consuming urge to stab somebody, you don't have to look far. Of course, that could be a drawback too, I guess :P!

Mira-chan, if it makes you feel any better, I move like an elephant at all times, not just when I'm dancing, hehe.

WaitingSoLong
June 8th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I get the typical:

"You have such long hair!"

"How long will you grow it?" umm....to the floor. I would say to terminal length but they would be clueless

"Your hair has gotten SO long"

"When are you going to cut your hair?" I'm not

"Do you wear extensions?" NO!!??

"Is that your natural color" (because apparently there are no such thing as natural blondes anymore)

Mostly I get nice comments, about my hair being pretty and shiny. I got my very first BUN compliment about a week ago. I have been bunning since I found LHC back on April 1st and NO ONE has ever commented until a week ago. Then I got about 3 or more in one day.

I get more comments if I wear my hair up for a long time and then let it down. Doesn't take long for people to forget my hair was long, apparently. My mother-in-law asked me once "oh no, you didn't cut your hair did you?" when I wore it in a looped pony tail.

WaitingSoLong
June 8th, 2009, 06:55 AM
My son donated his hair to LoL. I have never heard anything bad about them except most people assume it is for cancer patients when their website tells you it is for kids with alopaecia (sp). He had pretty BSL hair before the finally cut it. I have pics, but he is facing the camera in all of them. The main reason he donated, tho, was to get a free haircut!

Anyway, I usually get the "is that your natural color "comment because, despite blonde REALLY being my natural color, my eyebrows are brown and my eyes are brown. ALL natural, I swear. My hair does start out darker at the scalp and lightens as it grows, this gives it a nice bi-color look when bunned or braided (my underneath hair is darker). People assume it is my natural roots growing out and just refuse to believe I am a natural blonde.

And I do get the "how long did it take you to get your hair that long" comment which I do not know how to answer. I have had it all lengths and I know I had it almost bobbed (a bit longer than chin length) back in 2001 or 2002, but I cannot recall. It was 3+ years ago I decided to go for really long hair.

I have never had anyone tell me I should cut my hair or donate it.

I did have a stylist who was trimming my hair once go on about how healthy and pretty my hair was (and I didn't really need a trim) and then ask me what I used on my hair. When I told her, she said "oh no, that is bad for your hair!" and proceded to tell me what NOT to use.

mira-chan
June 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
But what if it could give you that power :eyebrows:
I wish! :lol:

Well, lots of ballet dancers are super clumsy whenever they're not dancing. Lol.
I'm super clumsy too. I'm not clumsy why dancing I just have lead feet. I chose a dance type where it's a benefit (Japanese folk dance). I can bring my foot down gracefully and make the stage boom. I have made the CD in the player jump or stop that way too.

Yeah, that is one benefit to hairsticks. If you ever have the all consuming urge to stab somebody, you don't have to look far. Of course, that could be a drawback too, I guess :P!

Mira-chan, if it makes you feel any better, I move like an elephant at all times, not just when I'm dancing, hehe.
:lol: Strangely enough I alternate between elephant and soundless. People can't hear me approach and get scared but at other times I shake furniture on the floor below.

Back on topic.
I was talking to Tanuki's sisters and mentioned as part of the conversation that I never blow dried my hair. The older one got this evil gleeful grin and said "Let's blow dry it now then!". :crazyq:

jahof45
June 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
People are just whacked out! WTF is blow drying your hair going to do????

swanns
June 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Oh my, blowdrying.

"It myst take you ages to blowdry your hair!"
"Actually, I don't blowdry it."
"... WHAT??"

LadyGunn
June 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Oh my, blowdrying.

"It myst take you ages to blowdry your hair!"
"Actually, I don't blowdry it."
"... WHAT??"

I went to stay with my cousin for a weekend a bit ago & we are polar opposites when it comes to hair care. She dyes, blow-fries & flat irons her hair & tops it all with a good dose of hair spray. I was next to her (trying to avoid the overshot hairspray) with my wide tooth comb, coconut oil & aloe vera gel in a spray bottle. She was going "Whaaa...?" as I showed her my shampoo bar & I was cringing as she used a 400 degree straightener on her hair. :shocked:

mira-chan
June 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Not sure. I think she just wanted to make sure my hair has been in contact with a blow drier just for the principle of it. :rolleyes:

When I said I've never heat styled either, she was itching for the heating tools too. Thankfully I'm stubborn so nothing was used.

Cassi
June 8th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Mira-Chan they want to sacrifice your virgin hair!!! RUN RUN!!! LOL

vindo
June 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I mostly get this one:

"Have you ever cut it?"

Well it would be god knows what length if I would have never cut it...:rolleyes:

Zindell
June 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM
sacrifice your virgin hair!!!

lol! :D

Ella Menneau P.
June 9th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Well I consider my hair officially long, because yesterday I got the trifecta from my chiropractor (with whom I work and am friends) who asked, "when are you going to go get your hair cut" (never) followed by "why do you have it so long if you always keep it up" (So I can use pretty hair toys) followed by, "why do you keep it so long?" (because I like it.) Then I had to take my fork out because I didn't want it in the way for the adjustment, and he actually touched my hair and said "wow, it's soft." :D

Lamb
June 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM

My dear mother keeps telling me that not blowdrying my hair will cause it to fall out, because my scalp will catch cold. Uhm, mother, it's summer....
(She has said this every.single.time she has seen me with my hair wet. In all seasons. We don't see each other very often nowadays, but this was her first tip when I complained of shedding a few weeks ago on the phone.) :rolleyes: