PDA

View Full Version : Bloggy-Etiquette-type question

Teacherbear
May 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have been attempting to write in my blog more often - even boring :yawn: stuff. I only log in once a day, so I often don't see the comments people leave for me until later that night. How do people know I've replied to their comment?

My second question is, how do I know when someone has replied to an old blog entry (to which I've replied to the replies)?

I'm a Blog-Klutz. Where is the LHC-Blog-For-Dummies thread?! :silly:

Denise
May 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
In the Blog Control Panel, there are options to subscribe to your own blog posts so that you get an email alert whenever someone responds to it. (I just went and reconfirmed this since I haven't written anything there in, like, a year or something. :lol:)

Wind Dragon
May 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Yep, or you can set it (your Default Subscription Mode for Blog Comments) to "no e-mail notification" and then click on your "Blog Entry Subscriptions" (also available from your Blog Control Panel, on the left-hand side) for a list of stuff you've commented in. Stuff that's been commented in most recently will be at the top of the list, and it also shows the name of the last poster and the time of their post (so it's easy to see if it's after your comment.) Your blog entries will show up there too, even if no one's commented on them yet.

Cinnamon Hair
May 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
When someone comments on an old blog entry of mine I usually go to their profile to reply. I can't imagine that people keep up with all their blog comments and check for replies. It would get lost in the chaos.

aisling
May 29th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I just use the little box to the left in my blog to see the comments. It's called "Recent comments" and it is very handy. Getting an e-mail every time feels a little like overkill to me :) There you also see if an older entry has been commented on, the 5 most recent active entries show up. I answer the comments by making a comment myself, the ones who are interested will come back and it's mostly regulars who comment on my blog anyway, they'll see it if they want.

I personally don't like getting answers to blog comments in profile messages, neither do I like photos questions in profile messages or as PM:s. The archivist in me cringes, those messages are in the "wrong" place :) That's just me, I'm terminally affected by work, yes, I'm an archivist.

Wind Dragon
May 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM
When someone comments on an old blog entry of mine I usually go to their profile to reply. I can't imagine that people keep up with all their blog comments and check for replies. It would get lost in the chaos.

I do. :shrug: Using the Blog Entry Subscription list, it's not that hard.

ilovelonghair
May 30th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I just use the little box to the left in my blog to see the comments. It's called "Recent comments" and it is very handy.

What type of blog do you use? I use blogger.com but it doesn't have such an option

Carolyn
May 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I often reply in my next blog entry. Sometimes I reply back in the comments. Now and then I'll send a PM. It depends on the timing and the subject. I usually check the most recent blog comment update thing. It's a cool feature.

I'm glad to see you blogging more.

aisling
May 30th, 2009, 07:32 AM
What type of blog do you use? I use blogger.com but it doesn't have such an option

Uhh, we are all of course discussing the LHC hair blogs, what else?

ilovelonghair
May 30th, 2009, 01:01 PM
LOL, I'm thinking about general blogs! I have just spend an afternoon fixing the design of my blogs, so my mind was still on those :D

Finoriel
May 30th, 2009, 02:56 PM
For my own blog I chose the option that I need to approve comments :) that way I notice every comment and can reply there directly. Getting email-notifications for a received blog entry would somehow feel like too much.
When I comment in another blog I remember that I commented there and go back some time later to see if the blog-owner replied or not and how the conversation went on. Even if I did not write anything there, I often go back just to follow the conversation.
Same for picture comments.
I honestly never thought about the fact that other people may not do that or could have problems with it and would miss the reply :ponder: interesting.
I would not reply on someones profile page though. Not so much because of wrong-file-issues, more because of privacy. Blogs tend to be more private and it´s entirely possible that someone would feel uncomfortable when blog-discussions or pictures would be mentioned on a more commonly accessible platform like a profile page. Especially if it´s been an entry in a friends-only blog or private album picture... ´out of context´ replies can sound very strange to a not-insider :wink:.