PDA

View Full Version : In Style-Hair Issue

Darkhorse1
May 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Saw this when shopping a few nights ago and it's interesting how it has some things that dispell myths, and perpetuate them :)

What I found interesting is that they have ads for John Frieda's shampoos and conditioners for different colors of hair. I love their brilliant brunette, but something in it makes me itch like made (my scalp and skin)

That have little quotes on them which made me think if they are accurate.

For red heads: naturally red hair tends to be coarse and thick, and can therefore be dry.

Would you say that's true? I'm a brunette mainly, though my hair has naturally red highlights, I don't consider auburn a true red-head.

For Blonds: mineral deposits in water, pollution and heavy styling products can all leave blond hair dull

Is that true?

Brunettes: When light reflects on healthy brunette hair, the results are absolutely stunning because all the rich and varied tones are illuminating

I'd have to say that's true :)

Remember, these are on the ADS for John Frieda, so I figured it might be fun to see if long haired members agreed/disagreed with these statements. :D

Remember, this is for fun! :D

HairColoredHair
May 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Blondes: Yes, sure. Hard water can even turn it a little red (from the iron).

Brunettes: That depends on the brunette.

Curlsgirl
May 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Yes, I agree about the blonde, natural or not. :D

wintersun99
May 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Darkhorse1
May 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
This was an ad, for john frieda, so there are just little 'quotes' before the tell you what the shampoo/conditioners do.

Remember, this is just for FUN I was just curious if there was any validity to the statements. I can agree for brunettes--my hair shines when it's at peak color/health.

RavennaNight
May 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I cannot imagine that all redheads are coarse. I know a few natural redheads, and their hair varies, but have never seen all out coarse red hair. Maybe I live under a rock :p. But one redhead I know has really smooth, wavy hair (that she does flatiron) and doesn't seem coarse in the slightest. Possibly even in the medium-fine category. And I knew another redhead, whose hair was pinstraight naturally, and babyfine. Both of these ladies are Irish, so I don't know if ethnic background has anything to do with it. And I also know a German redhead, and her hair is medium and straight, not coarse at all! :shrug:

xsadiemamx
May 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Def. true for me and im a redhead. My hair is thick and coarse and dry!

spidermom
May 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Styling products can dull my hair. Henna made my hair look dull, not shiny like most people get.

Themyst
May 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I used to know a true red head - he was a guy and he had the most beautiful, thick, course red hair with natural waves in it. He was American but clearly had strong Irish roots (his last name was Dangle).

Aaaahhhhh, yes ...

florenonite
May 29th, 2009, 01:44 PM
DBF's hair used to be ginger, though it's become auburn since then, but with a ginger beard :p His hair's really fine, though. It is thick, but I fail to see how thick hair would be any drier than thin hair.

Unofficial_Rose
May 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I used to know a true red head - he was a guy and he had the most beautiful, thick, course red hair with natural waves in it. He was American but clearly had strong Irish roots (his last name was Dangle).

Aaaahhhhh, yes ...

Are you sure it wasn't his nickname? :p

*Runs off giggling*

Jae6
May 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'm a brunette and it's painfully obvious which parts of my hair are healthy and which aren't. The unhealthy parts look like steel wool when light shines on them. The healthy parts look like the hair you see in ads.

Y'know, I've never met a redhead with fine hair. Has anyone met a redhead w/ medium hair? I've met a handful of people w/ naturally red hair and it's always coarse like mine.

Themyst
May 29th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Are you sure it wasn't his nickname? :p

*Runs off giggling*

That is pretty funny! :ohmy: All these years and I hadn't ever thought of it like that before! Hmmm... and I didn't go exactly that far with him to find out ... pretty close though ... so I think maybe you might have something there. Although I do know it was his real name. Oh, the memories ...

Y'know, I've never met a redhead with fine hair. Has anyone met a redhead w/ medium hair? I've met a handful of people w/ naturally red hair and it's always coarse like mine.

I've known quite a few light orange haired people (I think they're in the redhead group?) that have very fine hair. I wonder if this has anything to do with the cultural pot in the US? Since many are not 100% Irish or Welsh or German anymore. Are light orange haired people common in many other places? If so, then my theory is probably wrong. I thought (at least as far as the red headed Irish were concerned) that they had the thicker red hair.

ETA: And I know that all Irish don't have red hair. :)

florenonite
May 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I've known quite a few light orange haired people (I think they're in the redhead group?) that have very fine hair. I wonder if this has anything to do with the cultural pot in the US? Since many are not 100% Irish or Welsh or German anymore. Are light orange haired people common in many other places? If so, then my theory is probably wrong. I thought (at least as far as the red headed Irish were concerned) that they had the thicker red hair.

ETA: And I know that all Irish don't have red hair. :)

Well, just about any colour in the ginger/redhead continuum is fairly common here, including light orange. I don't know any of them well enough to have felt their hair, unfortunately, though come to think of it, my flatmate has strawberry blonde hair and hers is coarse and thick.

My cousin's wife has ginger hair and I'm pretty certain hers is fine, though I don't know her that well. I also know plenty of people with the ginger gene (and who have the typical ginger skin, etc.) with various textures of hair.

Darkhorse1
May 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
My coach has naturally red hair (the orange kind) and it's very curly and I would guess coarse judging from the look of it.

I know a few other natural/true red heads (the orange to dark red) and from what I can remember, they did have coarse hair.

Themyst
May 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Well, just about any colour in the ginger/redhead continuum is fairly common here, including light orange. I don't know any of them well enough to have felt their hair, unfortunately, though come to think of it, my flatmate has strawberry blonde hair and hers is coarse and thick.

My cousin's wife has ginger hair and I'm pretty certain hers is fine, though I don't know her that well. I also know plenty of people with the ginger gene (and who have the typical ginger skin, etc.) with various textures of hair.

I guess that blows my theory then. All my life I've had visions of fiery redheads running around over there in Ireland, how silly of me. Nothing wrong with the ginger side, though! I really hope I can get over there someday and see it for myself.:)

Thinthondiel
May 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
My brother has red hair, but it's short, and he uses styling products in it, so it's hard to tell whether it's thick/coarse or not... I think it is, though. And a friend of mine who's a redhead has really coarse and kinda dry hair.

One thing I've noticed about redheads is that I don't think I've ever met a redhead with straight hair... do they exist? Lol! I'm sure they do, but I can't remember having seen any.

PrliamntofRooks
May 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Color genes and texture genes are separate.

This is slick marketing that is based on the ignorance of the average consumer. People tend to believe things JUST because the are written on a bottle.:rolleyes:

xsadiemamx
May 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Yes they do exist! My hair used to be naturally straight! Actually, it still is but it has some body waves. My twin sister has red hair too (obviously) and hers is actually fine and curly, and prbably about 3in. thickness. Also, I am not an irish redhead, My hair comes from my sicilian ancestors. My grandfather and his fam all had red hair and they were straight off the boat from sicily. Thats why i have always wanted to to DNA testing for my heritage lol. I think i have got like 1/4 native american in me too. Wierd huh??

Wavelength
May 29th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Color genes and texture genes are separate.

This is slick marketing that is based on the ignorance of the average consumer. People tend to believe things JUST because the are written on a bottle.:rolleyes:

QFT. My grandmother had fiery red hair but it was fine, same as her younger sister (although her hair was more of a bright apricot). My own hair was strawberry blonde as a child and darkened to auburn, and mine is medium.

Anje
May 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Not buying it. I'm a natural red (well, titian, I suppose. It's not as intensely red as my sister-in-law's. My profile picture is my un-hennaed color, for reference.), and I'm a finey. SIL is also fine to medium, I'd guess, but I haven't felt it. Some things say that redheads have the fewest follicles, others say that the hair is thick... In my experience, titian-to-light auburn hair is usually thicker than mine is. Usually in the f/iii range, at least among friends I had growing up.

Mine's not particularly dry, either, though I do have to fight with dryness a little. Most people do when their hair gets long, though!

Finally, consider that Frieda's redhead product is geared toward chemically colored hair (suppose there's any correlation there with the assumption of dryness?!?!), not toward naturals.

ETA: I've known some 1a or 1b redheads. One of the most intense redheads I know (practically crayon-red, totally natural) had very straight hair.
Another ETA: I'm mostly German, some English. No Irish or Scottish that I know of.

Buddaphlyy
May 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
IDK, I've been a virgin raven head (black hair) most of my life. But I have a $2 off coupon for the magazine, so I will be buying it.

GlassEyes
May 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
There are redheads of every texture and thickness. I have a naturally red-headed friend with 1c/2a/M/ii hair, and another that's probably 3b/M/C/iii. The former's hair is normal, the latter's is dry, I think, but he keeps it pretty short.

Masara
May 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
From what I've seen of reheaded friends and family, while a lot of them seem to have coarser, wavier hair, not all of them do. I have known enough with fine or straight hair, although their colour is often lighter.

I have quite a few very dark red hairs mixed in with the rest and they are very different. Much thicker (probably twice to three times as thick) and very curly.

rchorr
May 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Well, my hair is dark red and VERY fine. My brother has copper wire for hair ... and it's just as coarse. Hee, hee. I think that there is no one way to describe any hair type &/or color!

RCHORR'