PDA

View Full Version : Very frustrated with my hair!

LadyEliza
May 29th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Honestly, if something doesn't change soon - I'm going back to pixie!!!

Well, maybe not that far back.

My hair has always looked good on a diet of Panteen S and C.

Then, I decided to try no cones. Instantly my hair was dry, frizzy and crispy.

So I thought I'd try C wash only. My hair softened up, but my curls remained frizz. So I tried oiling it. Removed the frizz to some extent, but my curls hung like dead snakes.

So I went back to panteen S and C. But my curls are still frizz!!! They won't form, but remain seperate hairs.

I've oiled again, putting a little more then usual on. I figure I'll just leave it oily for a few days, see what happens.

I look like this!!!

http://www.addamsfamily.com/addams/grandmama2.jpg

Aditi
May 29th, 2009, 01:24 AM
:scared: Thanks to you i will have nightmare tonight. But you can't be looking that bad, what oil do you apply on your hair try coconut oil or EVOO or jojoba oil and one more that pops into my mind castor oil they will give extra moisture to your hair which will lower the frizz.

Smokie
May 29th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Sad to hear you're frustrated with your hair hon. Never a fun place to be. When I get frustrated, I tend to put my hair up for a few days or a few weeks and forget about it. Step away from the scissors.

A few questions though. Do you dye your hair (chemical/henna/anything)? Did you use any "product" (hair gel/mouse/spray/etc) after wash to help with curl formation/eliminate frizz while on the old pantene regime? If so did you continue using it/them when you tried no-cone? How long did you try cone-free? Did you clarify before the cone-free attempt? What S&C did you use for the cone-free test?

What I found with my fine, damaged, curly, brittle hair (natural brunette, chemical redhead for years then went black to blonde) was that going cone-free and being able to wear my hair down without looking like a poorly defined frizzball took a lot of trial and error. I also learned that oils didn't work out well in combination with cones for me. I also learned that I still require a heavy conditioner as my length is so dry from years of chemical abuse. If you've money to spend I can recommend my hairsaving products if you'd like. My hair is definitely happier now that I'm cone and sulfate free. I'm also commercial product (recovered hairgel addict) free save for a dime-sized dob of cheap commercial gel from Sally's mixed in with my FOTE aloe on a hair down day.

Just don't panic hon. Put your hair up in a bun or braid it. We're here to help.

Oh! And I would definitely not recommend castor oil on your length under any circumstances. I've heard of it used as a very tiny portion of scalp massage mixes, but never for the length. That stuff's sticky.

Maelyssa
May 29th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I would suggest doing a good shampoo w/the Pantene...maybe even a second shampoo then just do the Pantene conditioner & not oil. It can very well be the fact that you're oiling when wet.
I've found that if I oil my hair when wet for the life of me it will always end up a horror afterward. I've found a dry oiling works best for me.
Try dry oiling & see how it works.

spidermom
May 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM
To get curls instead of a fluffy cloud, I've always had to use gel, either styling gel or aloe vera gel. (My hair is too long/heavy for curls now.)

OhioLisa
May 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
How long did you try each method before throwing in the towel? There is an adjustment period for any drastic changes like that. Perhaps trying one of the methods and sticking with it for a couple weeks will give you a better indication of whether it works or not. Also, if you are used to using Pantene, you might need a good clarifying wash before switching to other methods to get rid of the buildup. I agree with others, however, in that you probably need some sort of leave-in or product to tame the curls afterward.

plainjanegirl
May 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM
If what you were doing before was good then I would go back to it . But it may take a few weeks for your hair to adjust and be nice like before, so in the wait time put it up or braid it and try to ignore it some.

Deb!
May 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I laughed out loud when I saw "Grandmama"! :laugh:

Thanks, I needed that!