PDA

View Full Version : Hair (Almost)Too Heavy For Updo

Blue Willow
May 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'm having a hard time dealing with having my hair up as its so heavy it seems to pull at my roots. My hair is very secure w/ the stix I use so that's not the problem. I've been wearing it up (every day) for about two weeks. I don't lack the technical experitise to make it look good and its defintely tight. I wear it mostly in a knot that I pull thru and use a stick or stix to hold in place. So what can I do to make it more comfortable? I'm definitely open to all suggestions! Thanks:)

DragonLady
May 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I have that problem right now, too. I think I just need to keep wearing it up so my neck muscles learn to deal with it.

spidermom
May 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I submitted an article for my most comfortable bun called "the bun that stays." Give it a try. You don't have to pull it tight to make it stay.

freznow
May 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Do braids cause the same issue? English, french, dutch?

Before I ever found LHC, I spent about a year with my hair in braids, and that got me/my roots used to having it pulled back. When I found LHC, I started doing nape buns. Those are still the most comfortable for me.

Perhaps it's too tight, or too high?

Gumball
May 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Where exactly is it pulling? At the hairline, all over, etc.? It can also happen if you strive for sheer tightness of a style instead of purely snug security. When I put my hair in a bun I'd rather it just be secure instead of tight due to it pulling and causing me irritation if it's really tight for too long. Since you say your skills with sticks aren't a problem then I'm going to believe that when you secure it it's in a spot that won't result in it falling just a little but and causing one section to get pulled hard. I know when I started if I didn't secure it just right then the bun might lean almost imperceptibly and it's still definitely feel it pulling and would have to redo it.

Longlocks3
May 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hmmm, I'm having a similar problem. I think around the length you are at hair does tend to get heavy. I have my hair in a '10 second bun' right now very securely with a stick and IT HURTS. Not a sharp pain just a nice dull one that will not go away. I like my buns up higher sometimes and I think that contributes to it. The only way my hair doesn't hurt is either down loose or in a braid thats not too tight. Sorry I'm not much help I guess headaches are one danger of having long hair!

Teazel
May 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
You've had great suggestions already. If all else fails, you could try using a headband (Alice band) or Buff, slinging it under your bun to take the weight.

Something I've been doing a lot this winter is piling my loose hair or braid into the hood of my cardigan. It's a nice safe place for it when I'm home and want to give my scalp a rest. :)

Blue Willow
May 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I submitted an article for my most comfortable bun called "the bun that stays." Give it a try. You don't have to pull it tight to make it stay.

Ok studying this bun style, its very cute and sits slightly lower than my usual. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see if it feels better. I so appreciate the tip!:)

Blue Willow
May 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Do braids cause the same issue? English, french, dutch?

Before I ever found LHC, I spent about a year with my hair in braids, and that got me/my roots used to having it pulled back. When I found LHC, I started doing nape buns. Those are still the most comfortable for me.

Perhaps it's too tight, or too high?

You may be right, I wanted it to be secure so I think in positioning my stick, I gather a lot of hair under & over it and it feels real tight. So I was playing with it a little tonight and discovered I could secure it by grabbing just some of the outer coil and some of the bottom, but I couldnt get it right each time. I think lots of practice will hopefully help me find a way..oh but I'm impatient:mad:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm trying everything out.:)

Blue Willow
May 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM
You've had great suggestions already. If all else fails, you could try using a headband (Alice band) or Buff, slinging it under your bun to take the weight.

Something I've been doing a lot this winter is piling my loose hair or braid into the hood of my cardigan. It's a nice safe place for it when I'm home and want to give my scalp a rest. :)

good suggestion i'll definitely try it when its cardigan or hoodie weather..I'm beginning to realize after being up all day my hair needs to be down in some fashion..so I definitely need tangle-free ways to do this:)

Magicknthenight
May 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Is it pulling to tightly in certain spots? I find i have that problem. What i try to do is once my hair is up lift your eye brows up. Then you can feel where its too tight and pull those scalp strands out a little to loosen them up. But if its just the weight i have problems with that sometimes too...
Hope you find something that works though!

angelthadiva
May 28th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm wondering if you've missed your "sweet spot"?!

I know if I wear my hair in an updo that is too high, my head will just kill, but when I put it into that not too high and not too low spot it is just perfect.

FWIW, I can not do a high pony tail style at.all. My head will instantly kill and I'm a wee bit longer and a wee bit thicker than you...

If I were you, I'd experiment with different heights and tensions of your updo to see what works and what doesn't...I've been wearing my hair up (documented) for over 500 days, my hands just automatically know how high and what tension to go to for each updo I do.

I wish you luck and happy hair days ahead. :flower:

CaityBear
May 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Well, I don't have that problem, but a friend of mine had hip length, REALLY thick hair and she had ALL of it up for her grad last year. Don't ask how. lol But she had it up and it didn't really bother her. So I'm not sure if there was a certain way she had it done to help with the weight issue...

AprilElf
May 29th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Experimenting with bun placement, as angelthadiva said, is a good thing to do if you haven't already.
Folded braids (especially 5-strand and flat 4-strand braids) are very kind to your scalp. :)