PDA

View Full Version : styles/up-dos for short hair

redneckprincess
May 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
My hair is ummm about shoulder leingth, and I need ideas on what to do with it, for everyday styling and for going out, Im at a complete loss, TIA ♥

Gumball
May 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Have you taken a look at the Style Dictionary (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11763) thread for some ideas that could apply? I know a lot can work for longer hair but I'm sure you could find something to work for you, too! Other than that maybe some braids and clips/pins/etc.?

ETA: At shoulder length I just bunned a lot of the time. That was also when I started exploring braiding my hair (and never looked back once I did!).

rags
May 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Twin or single french braids look really good, as does a regular English braid. I could do a cinnabun at shoulder, but my hair is very fine and thin. A folded braid will end up looking more like a woven bun if you tuck it up. Topsy tailing gives a pony a different look.

amaiaisabella
May 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I like strands pulled from each side just above the ears, twisted towards the center of the back of the head, and pinned together, in a casual form of a half-up style :)

Madame J
May 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I find it easier to do a French twist than a bun. I do a messy twist and leave the ends free, and stick a Ficcare on it for a nice updo. I can also do a modified version of the easy one-hairstick style in the articles section -- it doesn't feel secure enough with one stick, but it stays long enough to put a second stick in to secure it. It looks like my hair is constantly about to fall out of it, but feels solid. I also do a tucked French braid. If I'm good, I can secure it with pins and no elastic (I did this at my desk at work with no mirror one day).

Heavenly Locks
May 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
You might like this one :) It will allow you to wear forks and sticks much sooner ;)

Cheaters Easy Hairstick Bun
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25145)

spidermom
May 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM
The french twist was my favorite, or a simple twist of the hair up the back, held with a claw clip, the ends left free.

Shermie Girl
May 28th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I am just past shoulder and my go to 'dos are French twists, peacock twists with a jaw claw, scrunchie bun thingies, my faux French twist/roll, sock buns, wet cinnabun type bun ringed with tiny jaw claws. And of course... Ponytails. :D

chelssix
May 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM
There was a thread somewhere around here, where LHCers listed the hairstyles they could do at each length. I wish I could find it!
I suggest trying to put it up in a pretty clip, or two.

Spike
May 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I've been doing a series of topsy tails (grrr . . . layers).

Gather the shortest layer, make a topsy tail.

Gather the ends of the first layer and the middle layer, make a second topsy tail just below the first.

Gather all the hair together, make a final topsy. On the days where all I have is a **SPLASH** of ends, I pin them up under the last topsy. Other days I have a pony stub, which I leave waving in the breeze.

Silver & Gold
May 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM
My hair is roughly the same length as yours. You might look through my hair album to get a few ideas. My pictures were mostly to show hair toys but there are a few styles represented there.

curls2grow
May 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Half-ups and buns are my staples. I've been forever at shoulder-length when my hair is dry. Yes, it does get boring; only changing out the hairtoys makes it fun.

manderly
May 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
When I was about shoulder length I did peacock twists, french twists, sock buns, and gibson tucks mostly. :)

I've got pics of all if you're interested.