PDA

View Full Version : brushing

redneckprincess
May 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Is brushing your hair all the time bad for it, I switch between using my BBB and a regular hard plastic one, I dont have MUCH shedding/breakage. ♥:cheese:♥

melrose1985
May 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I dont think it's bad if you are going very easy with it. Because my hair is at the collar bone i feel like I do brush it more then I used to at a shorter length. I feel like now it gets tangled at the ends faster. Or when I drive with the windows down (totally love doing that) I have to comb it after.

Well now that i think about it i only comb my hair maybe 2 times a day.

enfys
May 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Do you mean all the time as in lots of times a day, or all the time as in rather than combing?

I never use a comb, I use a Tangle Teezer about 3 times a day, and there's hardly any hairs to clean ut of it, so it must be fine. Those hairs I do take out have the roots so they were shed not snapped.

I had more hairs in a brush than TT, about 10 a day rather than 3 haha.

Gumball
May 28th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I think it might also depend on hair type, too. I know my hair really thickened up when I gave up brushing with a regular brush. I started using a comb and my hair thanked me for it a lot. I also was beginning to take better care of it at that time, too. I still use my BBB for some smoothing once my hair is done. A little aloe, some BBB use, and some of my vast quantity of short terminal hairs lie down for a little while.

chelssix
May 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I think it depends on each person. My hair seems to be in better condition from regular BBB brushings, but I also detangle with fingers first (or a comb). Almost no breakage, and shinier.

Madame J
May 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I brush once in the morning with the BBB, and sometimes once at night before I braid it for bed. Other than that, I really, really, really try to handle my hair as lightly as possible, detangling with a wide-tooth comb after washing and towel-drying, and when I want to style it. I've always shed what seems like a massive amount (although is probably around the normal 100/day), with no thinning of the feel of my hair, so I don't look at that, but my hair feels nicer with less handling.

liseling
May 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I think it depends on what type of hair you have. If you have fine hair or curly/wavy hair you might not want to brush so much because it's easier to damage those hair types. And brushing curly hair in particular is never pretty and often creates more tangles than you had before you started.
I think combing is better, but you mentioned that you used a plastic comb. Usually those have seams from being made in a press that can scrape down the strands and damage the cuticle. I would get a comb that's hand made or not made in a press. Horn combs are good - they have a similar feel to plastic but they won't have seams and they don't create as much static. Or you could try sanding off the seams of the plastic comb... that never worked for me though!

Fencai
May 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
IMO- it all depends on you and your hair. For me, it seems to make no difference between brushing and combing. Personally, I do one or the other once in the morning, and then once before braiding to go to bed, and I dont seem to have issues.

jera
May 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Do you mean all the time as in lots of times a day, or all the time as in rather than combing?

I never use a comb, I use a Tangle Teezer about 3 times a day, and there's hardly any hairs to clean ut of it, so it must be fine. Those hairs I do take out have the roots so they were shed not snapped.

I had more hairs in a brush than TT, about 10 a day rather than 3 haha.

I've heard good things about those tangle teasers. :D Mostly I just comb. But I do like to have my hair brushed.

Deborah
May 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
My hair does better with brushing than it does with combing. It's when I comb that I hear snaps, so I comb very little.

xsadiemamx
May 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I dont know, am I the only one that cant stand BBB's? Everytme I have tried to get on e I test it lol, and I cant even get it through the top layer of my hair. It doesnt even touch my scalp, it feels mad wierd.

Flynn
May 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I recently tried combing and, in spite of following everyone's "instructions" and taking ten minutes about it, it was a disaster. I needed a four inch chop to get rid of the nasty ends and even it back up, and the way I was going before the experiment, I thought I had another two months until I'd need a one inch trim. Combing does not suit my (fine) hair. I've had four years of minimal splits and nastiness from a soft plastic bristle brush (the key there being soft; it doesn't take much force to bend the "bristles" back on themselves and I think that's the very important part), and also the advice from my mother that fine hair like mine and hers should never, ever be shown a comb, unless it's to make a straight part.

So, the "combs are better" isn't true for everyone. Use a soft brush and be gentle, and I reckon you'll be fine.

xsadiemamx, I thought BBBs weren't ever intended for detangling anyway. They're to short to do much to my hair, too; even to "smooth" it... the top layer just gets smoothed over any bumps underneath... really weird.

redneckprincess
May 29th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I dont/cant use combs (I only use my comb (wide toothed) after a shower when wet) when its dry I go between my plastic BRUSH and my BBB. but Im brushing it ALL the time, The kids are at school, hubby at work, Im a SAHM so I sit wand do chores or watch tv and brush my hair, I always figured it was the same as a scalp massage without the risk of knotting it all up. ♥

enfys
May 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I dont/cant use combs (I only use my comb (wide toothed) after a shower when wet) when its dry I go between my plastic BRUSH and my BBB. but Im brushing it ALL the time, The kids are at school, hubby at work, Im a SAHM so I sit wand do chores or watch tv and brush my hair, I always figured it was the same as a scalp massage without the risk of knotting it all up. ♥

If you want the effect of a scalp massage how about one of those nobbly hand held things that gives you a massage?

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A3293/329343/300_329343.jpg

Something like this, I've seem them places like the Body Shop and TK Maxx cheap. My mum has a few and it feels really nice on your scalp, back, anywhere.

If there is any risk of damage from brushing this would avoid that.

As I said I don't get on with combs and if you're gentle brushing isn't that evil.

RavennaNight
May 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I comb first to get rid of tangles, and then I brush with a BBB. That smooths my hair a bit. As log as you aren't an all-out curly or you're brushing when wet, a brush isn't evil. I love brushing. It feels good on the scalp!