PDA

View Full Version : Should I get layers??

Florida Mom
April 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Newbie here, I've got a haircut scheduled for Thursday. My hair is about 26 inches long.... just past BSL. I planned to get a dusting on the length, long layers and some face framing (I have bangs). But now I'm not sure. I want to be able to put it up as often as possible. Will the layers impede up-dos? THANKS for your help!

Kiraela
April 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Honestly? Yeah, layers will make some updoes more difficult, but if you don't mind whispies sticking out (which often looks awesome, to me anyway) then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you really want them, I say go for it. If you decide you can't stand them later, you can always have them slowly trimmed out.

amaiaisabella
April 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Layers are best if you plan to keep your hair down. If you don't heat style your hair, layers add definition to create a "style" even if you don't do anything to your hair.

If you have thick hair, layers can thin out your hair a bit, or they can add volume to fine hair if cut properly.

If you plan to keep your hair up, just do a few long layers, starting at your shoulders or just below.

jojo
April 8th, 2008, 12:23 AM
in the past when i have had long hair, i have gone through growing my hair one length and then getting layers put in and to be honest although i like face framing layers, im not keen on layers in the back of my hair, as i find my hair splits more for some reason with layers than it does one length, this is just my opinion of course, if you really want them go for it.

Darian Moone
April 8th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I tend to agree with Jojo. I had layers cut into my hair in January and I now regret it. I like the face framing layers (I'm growing out bangs and it helps blend the look a bit), but it's the layers in the back that I regret. I'm just going to have to grow those out now in order to get a good hemline in the back as I grow it back out again, so I could just kick myself for getting the back layered.

Tristessa
April 8th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Florida Mom! Welcome!
I like layers a lot; I have them on the sides of my hair, and a growing out fringe that I need to get around to turning back into bangs.
My last professional hair cut, I went in to get layers and thought I'd try getting the back layered as well. The stylist actually discouraged me from doing this because of my hair being so long and said to just try the sides, like I always do, and if I really wanted the back done to come back. You know, she was totally right for my hair; the sides being cut were enough.
It does make it a little trickier for some updos if your layers start higher but I don't mind that. The best part is they always grow out.

lora410
April 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Layers make my up-dos a pain in the rump. Nothing like having hair stick up all over the place!

spidermom
April 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Since your goal is so long, I'd advise against layers in the back. Your hair will probably look best if you maintain as much thickness as possible at the bottom. As for face-framing layers - I love mine. They really soften the look of up-dos.

seabear
April 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Be careful asking for face-framing layers.... it seems stylists hear "layers" and go to town on the entire head. I have never ONCE had a stylist understand what I was asking for when I used those words, I always end up with layers all round, all the way up, and it's a mess to grow out.

And yes, layers can impede updos. A bit of layering at the very ends can make it easier to get the end tucked under a bun, but more than that ends up sticking out all over the place.

Sorry to be so discouraging, but I'm currently growing out a lot of layering and it's HELLISH.

spidermom
April 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Be careful asking for face-framing layers.... it seems stylists hear "layers" and go to town on the entire head. I have never ONCE had a stylist understand what I was asking for when I used those words, I always end up with layers all round, all the way up, and it's a mess to grow out.

And yes, layers can impede updos. A bit of layering at the very ends can make it easier to get the end tucked under a bun, but more than that ends up sticking out all over the place.

Sorry to be so discouraging, but I'm currently growing out a lot of layering and it's HELLISH.

Good point. I separated out the hair I wanted for face-framing fringe and braided the rest securely back when I had mine done the first time.

Nightshade
April 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I have face-framing layers only in the front, and my updos are pretty sleek, even my braids aren't bad. However, that may not be the case if you got layers down the back :)

karenpetal
April 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM
hey - from my experience with layers yhey make you feel happy for few weeks and then reality checks in - no updos - no smooth braids - but if u let ur hair flowing loose layers look gorgeous

Florida Mom
April 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you so much for all the responses! They really really helped! I decided I'm only going to do the front face framing ones.... and ask her to put the rest in a clip or braid or something so I know she wont be cutting the back! Phew, I feel relief! And today I just put my hair up in the double braid top of the head thing - Heidi braids maybe it's called. I dont want to lose the ability to do beautiful braids! HUGS to all!!!

Robinlyn
April 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I think the face framing layers would be nice. I would give some more thought to layering the back. The ease of doing updo's with one length is so much easier! Let us know what you decide! Good luck!

edited to add-
whoops! Looks like I just missed your update! Wise decision, let us know how it turns out!!

spidermom
April 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Suggestion - figure out how much hair you want to devote to face-framing fringe and pull the rest back yourself, or you may end up with a lot more layering than you want. I decided on one inch back from hairline above forehead, going straight down to where the ear helix meets the temple on each side. All I wanted were short pieces to fall down and soften the look of up-dos (as in my avatar). Stylists don't think that way, though. She (or he) will be thinking about a style that she (or he) has been trained to cut.

If you want to see how my fringe works with my hair down, click on my screen name and view my profile image.