PDA

View Full Version : Rant for fine haired people.

JamieRose
May 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
So I have two friends who are hairdressers. They're great, I love them, but one of them in particular is quite a debbie downer. she ALWAYS puts other people down, no matter what.

And today, when I visited her at work, she spent ten minutes trying to get me to buy a volumizing shampoo because my hair was 'too thin for anything else'. ... Okay, my hair is FINE, but it's not thin.. my circumference is over 3 inches (sometimes close to 4, but it's never quite the same when I measure). My other hairdresser friend, who is not as blunt, says my hair is 'not as thick as MOST people's...', which is basically friend code for 'your hair is thin.'

:mad::mad::mad: I've never felt that self conscious about my finer hair before, but now I feel like I should do something to thicken it up more. Even though I have recently hennaed (I haven't let either of them touch my hair in a long time, and they didn't notice the slight color change) and I don't know if there is much else I can do.

Are there any other fine haired people who have been told how thin theirs is (even though it is not)? I'm just frustrated. What's so wrong with fine hair....? :(

HairColoredHair
May 27th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Quite honestly, I wouldn't pay half a bother to what petty minded little people who have nothing better to do than to find fault with others have to say.

After all, they're only trying to make themselves feel better about themselves, which says little for their own self esteem.

And by the way, my pony circumference is 4", relatively thick, and I've had my hair called 'thin' in the past... :rolleyes:

chrissy-b
May 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
My hair is on the very thin side (2.25 inch circumference on a good day) and fine, and I seem to get "Your hair is so thick!" comments more often than thin. :shrug: My hair in not now, nor will it ever be thick.

I guess I'm just mentioning this so you take what other people say about your hair with a grain of salt. They clearly don't know what they're talking about.

lora410
May 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Um 3"-4"over are normal thickness. I myself am only 3.25"

amaiaisabella
May 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
My friends used to say I had baby hair in high school. Fine hair has its advantages and disadvantages, just as thick hair does :shrug: So long as your hair isn't unkempt, I think you're fine. And interestingly enough, I get compliments on how light and bouncy my hair looks now!

OhioLisa
May 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
You know, it's those same people who tell thick haired people that they should have layers or have their hair thinned out because it is too thick. Take it with a grain of salt. Fine hair is just as beautiful as coarse, and thin as much as thick.

Eden Iris
May 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
My hair is fine, I'm on the thinner side of a ii, and I've heard crap like that from hairdressers for years. Especially frustrating as there's not a thing I can do about it, except get extensions (which was suggested by one stylist).

pandora114
May 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
ugh I hear ya! I'm ii/M (thanks to the henna it's that way, it used to be i/ii!)

shadowclaw
May 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I've gotten a variety of comments on my hair, from different people. My circumference is about 2", and always has been.

When I first met my sister-in-law, she asked me if my hair felt heavy because it was so long and thick. It actually wasn't long, probably not even BSL at the time. However, her hair is above the shoulders, and possibly thinner than mine is, so she perceived it as being long and thick because it was longer and thicker than hers.

Now my mother has thicker hair than me, but she's had it long, short, and everything in between over the years. She describes my hair as being of normal thickness, and has only ever complained about my ends getting scraggly.

I also had two hairdressers tell me how I had so much hair. At the time, I think I might have had BSL hair. So really, I think it's just about how people perceive your hair. If someone has really thick, coarse hair, they will probably look at yours and think that it's fine, thin, and lifeless. On the flip side, someone with very thin, fine hair that won't grow very long will probably envy your thick tresses.

JamieRose
May 27th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I guess I'm just annoyed because they're HAIRDRESSERS. Shouldn't they know the difference between thickness and fine/coarseness...???

Of course, she proceeded to tell me that if I used this fancy expensive shampoo from her salon, that it would dry my fine hair out, therefore making it thicken up to strengthen itself, the same way your skin scabs :disgust: .... I didn't even bother telling her how very, very wrong she was. :rolleyes:

Anyways. I like my fine hair. There's enough of it to keep me happy and it's still light and wispy. It's easier to style fine hair too, IMO. (Or from what I can gather from my much coarser haired sister.) I'm not always a debbie downer! :D And I really didn't mean to sound like fine hair was a bad thing. I was just on a roll.

julya
May 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM
People call my hair thin sometimes too. People are strange.

shadowclaw
May 27th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Of course, she proceeded to tell me that if I used this fancy expensive shampoo from her salon, that it would dry my fine hair out, therefore making it thicken up to strengthen itself, the same way your skin scabs :disgust: .... I didn't even bother telling her how very, very wrong she was. :rolleyes:

Ewww! I fail to see how comparing your hair to a scab is a positive thing :confused: Plus, who wants scabs instead of nice, strong, healthy skin? I'm pretty sure healthy undamaged skin is stronger and thicker than a scab. Maybe we should view this as the very reason not to use expensive, drying shampoos, because they will turn our hair into big scabs :p

Cassi
May 27th, 2009, 11:24 PM
My actual hairs are thin but my overall hair looks very thick because of my curls. One hair dresser did sell my on getting layers cut into my hair about a year ago, and I am so sorry I did it. Just because your friends are hairdressers does not mean they have a clue!! Plus I cannot seem to find any professional hair dressers that understand my hair goals!! They all think I am crazy and want to cut cut cut. :evil: UGH. I have given up on trims for now. There are many ways to think and treat hair.... they both apparently went to the same beauty school (or at least were taught the same crazy views). You know, compliments always work better like "wow your hair is fabulous and if you wanted to increase volume you might think about trying x or y" if they really wanted to sell it! It doesn't sound like they asked you what *you* wanted for your hair, and it is YOUR hair!!! :confused: So silly.

Cassi
May 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Ewww! I fail to see how comparing your hair to a scab is a positive thing :confused: Plus, who wants scabs instead of nice, strong, healthy skin? I'm pretty sure healthy undamaged skin is stronger and thicker than a scab. Maybe we should view this as the very reason not to use expensive, drying shampoos, because they will turn our hair into big scabs :p

I love that comparison!!! :o

Katze
May 28th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I guess I'm just annoyed because they're HAIRDRESSERS. Shouldn't they know the difference between thickness and fine/coarseness...???

No, they don't, at least in my experience. They learn what is fashionable and how to sell more services and products. This is why I don't go to salons at all any more.

The last time I went to a salon she insisted on scrubbing my hair, tangling it up. I tried to (politely) correct her but was new here and less confident speaking German than I am now. She ignored me.

Since salons don't seem to be able to deal with wavy hair, or fine hair, or curly hair, I wonder just WHO do they train on and what kind of hair DO they learn how to deal with?!?

Zindell
May 28th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Your hair looks perfectly fine in your profile!

I have fine hair too and I like it that way. :)

Flynn
May 28th, 2009, 01:42 AM

Probably not. More likely they know what some company has told them, so they can and will sell that company's products better.

Elenna
May 28th, 2009, 01:48 AM
One advantage of fine hair is the silkiness, using a volumizing shampoo would coat it. Fine hair may or may not be thin. But fine hair is great for how nice it feels.

Michele
May 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I have thin and fine hair, and i get comments a LOT.

I used to work with this girl , who made a comment about my thin hair, almost every other week. :rolleyes: She'd say stuff like, 'why don't you get extensions' or 'why is your hair so thin??' :o Then one day she went to a salon to bleach and perm her hair, and half of her hair broke off. Since then she's been really quiet about it.

Some people..

bugeyedmonster2
May 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Since salons don't seem to be able to deal with wavy hair, or fine hair, or curly hair, I wonder just WHO do they train on and what kind of hair DO they learn how to deal with?!?

Ha! I saw this special on PBS, "Hairworld: The Pursuit Of Excellence", where stylists compete in this styling Olympics sort of thing. The students were practicing on mannequin heads! As in fake heads with probably nylon hairs attached.

You can google it if you want.

Though I did like what was done with the heads after training and the Hair Olympics. They are used by Law Enforcement Officials and the military for target practice. And then they show this clip of lots of guys in camo and flack gear shooting at these smiling dummy heads with perfectly coiffured hair. I laughed so hard. Don't know why I thought it was soo funny!

Toadstool
May 28th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Of course, she proceeded to tell me that if I used this fancy expensive shampoo from her salon, that it would dry my fine hair out, therefore making it thicken up to strengthen itself, the same way your skin scabs :disgust: ....
Hello?? Hair can thicken itself up once it's left the follicle? Marvellous!:rolleyes: This made me LOL

I have allegedly very thick hair. Hairdressers are always thinning it. At the moment it looks dreadful because I am growing out all these supid wispy wavy layers. I had it thinned in Australia cos I was too hot but now I wish I hadn't

JamieRose
May 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
^^ hahaha I know. Pretty sure hair is dead.... XD I WISH that was true, though. bummer.

Mabel Grey
May 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I do not trust stylist to tell me what products to use on my hair. I am in the firm belief that they are all about selling the product and the money. You use the thickening shampoo, that dries the hair for body and then you use the conditioner to fix the dry hair. You then use the bodifiying mist to give it life from all the heavy conditioning. You the have tons of cones to remove from the dry frizzy hair, that once was soft as silk. When all you did was wash it once a week with Nature's Gate and ACV and oil the ends. Okay, that was a rant, but I firmly believe the gods gave us all beautiful hair, thin, thick or inbetween. It is all about selling a product. AURGH, you got me started. I was called frog fuzz by friends when I was child, all because a stylist friend of my mothers told her that. and when you grow up in a town of 400 everyone starts in on teasing. Anyway, I do believe it is about the money.

Fractalsofhair
May 28th, 2009, 03:51 PM
My stylists has said similar things when she's looked at the actual strands. Normally she tells me I have thick, unmanageable coarse hair because I just have a lot of hair! Then I tell her to look at each strand, so she has, and has been shocked. Once I had a stylist convince my parents I needed to use Paul Mitchel products due to my hair being "unruly and unmanagable"(She actually suggested either a pixie or a relaxer or bleach to "loosen the thickness", despite the fact I have straight hair and it was white blonde at the time! It also wasn't hard to comb if she had taken her time, but she felt that spending more than 10 mins on a kid's hair cut was extremely vain. XD) and well, that experience wreaked my hair as a child. Generally I don't trust my stylists with much. They've tried to say things like Bleach is good for your hair. I did have one stylist who gave great hair advice, but she was a big fan of bleaching my hair a lot, and giving me highlights. But she was one of the first people to tell me how to do my own hot oil treatment and suggested it for dandruff. Downside is, she really couldn't cut hair well, so I left her. I need to find a good stylist who knows fine hair, thick hair and just lots of fine hair. As a young child, a stylist actually told me to not come back since my hair dulled his scissors, since it was so fine. XD

bugeyedmonster2
May 29th, 2009, 12:49 AM
As a young child, a stylist actually told me to not come back since my hair dulled his scissors, since it was so fine. XD

What? He couldn't sharpen them?

(^_^)/
BEM

longhairedfairy
May 29th, 2009, 01:12 AM
As a young child, a stylist actually told me to not come back since my hair dulled his scissors, since it was so fine. XD

WHAAAT? That's such an obvious excuse to be lazy because he didn't want to bother. He totally made that up.:rolleyes:

longhairedfairy
May 29th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Hello?? Hair can thicken itself up once it's left the follicle? Marvellous!:rolleyes: This made me LOL

*snort* Yeah, right. I wish it could. Lol.

flapjack
May 29th, 2009, 01:35 AM
If your hair is around 4 inches, then it's not thin at all.

Some people are just catty and negative. Ignore their bs.

JamieRose
May 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM

That hairdresser sounds like a keeper! :p If fine hair ruins scissors, coarse hair must break them apart....

Fractalsofhair
May 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM
Yep! I ended up not trusting stylists much after. Though very fine, very healthy hair does dull scissors, but that's true of all hair, and a stylist can get theirs sharpened!

cakedcake
May 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Part of why I started cutting my hair short in the first place was that I was constantly told by hairdressers for years that my hair is TOO fine and often in a way that implied it was a personal flaw. I don't know what yardstick, or hairstick, they're using to determine what is "normal."

But what I would do for my long fine hair again. Argh!

Alun
June 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Less than a two inch circumference ponytail here, and it always has been. Your hair isn't thin, and it wouldn't matter if it were.

lapushka
June 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hairdressers always tell me, yes it's fine, but you've got lots of it. That apparently makes it all okay again, because it means their options for doing all sorts of stuff to it are still open. I guess it's harder to style thin/fine hair. My mother has thin (i) hair and she's much better off not going to the hairdresser, just keeping it long with big bangs and clipping it up.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
I guess these folks are lucky in that their only clients are incredibly hair gifted people. Truth is, speak to a woman over 60 and likely she has thin hair. A child before around age 7-10 has "thin" hair....

Why do some people need to be a party pooper?

Do your thing and be happy. It's all there is anyway. It's ok to tell 'em this isn't really a topic for discussion. My best way of achieving that goal is, turning and looking into the sky, "Wow, What weather we're having today!" No matter what it is outside.

They'll figure out you have no intention of engaging. Key is to not allow them to make you feel defensive. Hard to do. Takes practice. But you'll get better in time!

heidi w.