PDA

View Full Version : Where Does That Come From Thread...

Natalia
May 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Ok instead of just asking a question and letting the post "die" i figured id just have it be a big open thing to catalog various common questions like mine :). So feel free to tack on everyone!

Ok heres mine:
Where does glycerin come from?

Heres what i know so far:
Ok ive heard of vegetable gycerin and pertoleum gycerin but now im finding random things about animal glycerin like from fat. So im confused?

I have a bottle that was a gift and it was bought at wal-mart and doesnt state a source. Im fairly sure its not veggetable because well...its wal-mart but i would like to know if its a petroleum product or from animal fat? Ive tried looking at the companies website and i cant find anything other than various ways to use it which is fustrating. Id be thrilled if it were veggie, ok if were animal but not thrilled, and if its petro well forget it i will hide it away :p but still keep it so the giver doesnt feel bad...

So anyone have a clue where it might come from? I will try to find the bottle to add the brand later but i have an appointment right now :).

Natalia

AmyJorgensen
May 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
If it was vegetable, it would be likely to say so conspicuously.

mira-chan
May 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Glycerin is a by-product of soap production usually. If you make soap then add salt to the mix the glycerin will separate out. This happens with both animal lard and vegetable soaps.

Also it can be specifically synthesized but usually it's easier and cheaper to use the by-product version.

I know of no actual petroleum made glycerin. I would think it's more expensive to make it from that as it would take more chemical steps.

Natalia
May 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
If it was vegetable, it would be likely to say so conspicuously.

Ive searched the bottle upa nd down and when something doesnt specify a source it makes me iffy. Im a teeny bot paranoid as to what i put on my body after all the reactions ive had. Thank you fro replying :)

Glycerin is a by-product of soap production usually. If you make soap then add salt to the mix the glycerin will separate out. This happens with both animal lard and vegetable soaps.

Also it can be specifically synthesized but usually it's easier and cheaper to use the by-product version.

I know of no actual petroleum made glycerin. I would think it's more expensive to make it from that as it would take more chemical steps.

Godo to know :) thank you for the information. Ive been trying to go as natural/green and non animal as possible. Due to my health i cant always go there food wise but i do my best :D. I wouldnt mind using animal derrived glycerin id just like to know whats going on my body ya know? I suppos ei could always e-mail the company and ask but here is so much faster and informative :p. Thank you for replying :heartbeat

Natalia