PDA

View Full Version : Here hair, there hair, hair everywhere!

Paper Moon
May 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM
ack! I'm trying not to ask so many obviously noob questions but I'm a bit freaking out.

My hair is thicker overall but the top/crown area has been noticeably thinner for a while. Since joining here I've started trying scalp massage with either EVCO, or Dabur Amla gold oils. Both make my hair feel very nice, but since I've started scalp massage 3-4 times a week, my hair is falling out like GANGBUSTERS!

I woke up this morning after a massage the night previous, and as I took my bun out.. a ball.. a HUGE BALL of hair came out screaming "helloooo!":shudder:

In the shower, its just slip slipping out each time I touch it. It's on the floor in my room, it's in the bathroom, all over my clothes. This is very scary! It doesn't appear as breakage either - it seems like it's the entire strands of hair. Is this normal??? Should I stop altogether? Should I start looking at wigs?:hmm:

lawdy what do I do! (so sorry for the panic mode lol)

xoLegallyAubrey
May 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM
You should breathe.

You may think I'm kidding, but you need to relax. Stress can make hair fall out, and stressing even more about it isn't going to help. Do you think you may be massaging too vigorously?

Ursula
May 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Some people find that scalp massage and oils to the scalp promotes their hair growth/thickness, others find that it triggers shedding. My guess from what you've described is that you're in the latter group. So stop doing the oils/massage to your scalp (you could still apply oils to your length if it seems to provide good effects) and go back to your last successful routine. Do that for a couple of weeks, and think about what you want to try next.

kwaniesiam
May 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Please keep in mind that it is normal to shed up to 100 hairs a day for some people. Are you aware of any medical conditions that may cause the shedding, such as nutrition problems or low thyroid?

Also product allergies can trigger shedding, such as sensitivities to SLS.

Unofficial_Rose
May 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm wondering if it is to do with stress, and if there is anything to do to make your life less stressful?

If not, St. John's Wort has really helped some people (including me) with anxiety.

If your life is not stressful, could it be an iron deficiency or hormone imbalance? Perhaps you could see your doctor to find out.

spidermom
May 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
If it were me, I'd stop the massages and oil to the scalp immediately. I stimulate my scalp by bending toward the floor and combing my hair/scalp upside-down.

xsadiemamx
May 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I dont blame you for freaking out! But as others have already stated stressing is just gonna make it worse. I get alot of shedding in the shower when I am S&Cing and especially when I am combing through the conditioner. It because I am massaging my scalp when I am washing my hair! So I would def say the scalp massages are what is causing this. Sometimes I start freaking out too and my boyfreind has to remind me that my hair is long lol. So obviously the longer the hair the more hair its going to seem is falling out you know what I mean? I dont know how long your hair is but it is something to keep in mind when your shedding, and maybe it will help you calm down a little you know?

Paper Moon
May 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hehe yeah, I need to do my best to relax. I'm not having an anxiety attack over it, but I was rather shocked to just so easily pull out balls of hair.

I will stop doing the oil massage for a while and see if that helps. I don't think I have a deficiency at this time ( I take multivitamins religiously, and try to eat healthy ) but I do have CFIDS/FMS and also it's that time of the month :tmi: Perhaps it's just all that sudden stimulation/hormones!

I'll keep posted.. it's kind of poopy though. I really liked how the scalp massage felt and it seemed like it would be so beneficial to get my hair to grow :P