PDA

View Full Version : How to smoothen up fluffy ends?

ilovelonghair
May 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I tried with aloe vera and it works, but I don't like how it makes my hair go all stiff. Any other ways?

Simplicity
May 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I've had some luck with coconut oil, but find it hard to get to that "just right" amount.

I also have luck frequently spritzing with distilled water but that doesn't last long.

My latest attempts have been to use detangling spray (cones!). I use a sulfate shampoo anyway so I don't have to worry about buildup.

I can't wait to see what others suggest. I hate my fluffy ends!

Heidi_234
May 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Coconut oil for me too. My hair doesn't get greasy with it no matter how much I use, so I don't have the "right amount" problem. Also, applying shea butter on the ends and bunning the hair for the night makes it really moisturized the day after, and therefor not fluffy. Leave-in conditioner might help too, or even a little bit of your regular conditioner over damp ends.
Also, as a curlie, not brushing/combing really is the best thing to avoid fluffy hair.
HTH :flower:

spidermom
May 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM
My hair looks far less fluffy when I leave some of my conditioner on it, then apply a coney serum sparingly over that (about 8 drops for all my length).

Aisha25
May 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
:lol: I am trying to achieve exact oppesite,I like them makes the ends look more fuller :D

spidermom
May 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Also wanted to add that if your ends get too stiff from aloe vera gel, comb/brush through them. That should help with the stiffness. If not, wet your hands and sandwich your hair between them and run hands down, then comb through the ends. I find that aloe gel is pretty easy to break up compared to other styling gels, which can feel kind of gluey when you try to comb through them.

maskedrose
May 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I mix a couple drops of oil with a pea-sized amount of regular conditioner and work it through the ends. Alternately, a couple drops of oil mixed with AVG works well too and eliminates the crunchiness of the straight AVG.

neon-dream
May 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I tried with aloe vera and it works, but I don't like how it makes my hair go all stiff. Any other ways?

I comb aloe vera through once it's dried and it goes to being as soft as ever and still smooths my hair :)!

plainjanegirl
May 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
water and some leave in conditioner work for me.

Feye
May 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM
My whole hair is fluffy like cotton unless I run my hands through it several times. I try to do a quick bun or braid when the hair is slightly damp, and then take it down before braid/bun waves appear. This works fairly well.

Airdrying without touching the ends or combing them is another option, at least if they've got a bit of wave to them.

ilovelonghair
May 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
So many options! I have tried with jojoba oil, that doesn't make a difference, unless I put in too much, coconut oil is also very tricky, I'll try it again. I have tried leave in condishener, can't remember what happened, but most surely it didn't work, otherwise I would stiff be using it :D

As for fluffy ends looking fuller, not for mine, they become really see trough and if I keep them less fluffy my hair looks more normal.

Wind Dragon
May 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
a couple drops of oil mixed with AVG works well too and eliminates the crunchiness of the straight AVG.

This. :flower:

spidermom
May 27th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I don't use a leave-in conditioner, just my regular (Natures Gate). With a little coney serum over it, my ends stay so soft, smooth, silky, and well moisturized. Oil and gel don't work as well; I end up with a lot of dust and lint clinging to my hair.

Carolyn
May 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I like my ends "weighed down". I use something like Phyto 9 or Terax Life Drops on the last few inches. I'll also use a couple drops of oil now and then.

serenitygal
May 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I find a little oil and aloe to work well, but my all-time favorite product is Oyin's Whipped Pudding. It smells vaguely chocolatey, and has shea butter, cocoa butter, aloe vera et all in there. Best of all (even better than the gorgeous smell!) is that frizzies take one look at the jar and flee in terror!
I use just a nailful or so on my braid tassel at night, and voila! No frizzies!

ilovelonghair
May 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM
What about cat-nip? I haven't done any rinses lately but should be doing it again. Does that interfere with any of the methods?

Heidi_234
May 28th, 2009, 03:45 AM
What about cat-nip? I haven't done any rinses lately but should be doing it again. Does that interfere with any of the methods?
I don't think so, if you use catnip over one of these, it may intefere with the catnip, but the catnip won't interfere with them. It might help to cut down on the fluffiness actually ('might' is the key word ;)).

GlassEyes
May 28th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Flufy ends that don't take oil well, or randomly?

You need shea butter. xD; It's an emollient that smooths down ends. You can mix it with coconut oil and that would help a lot, make some of fox's conditioning creamw ith it, or grab some of Nightshade's Panacea (which has shea butter). Shea smoothes my ends, but too much of it makes it stiff, so I cut it with conditioner or oil.

The best straight shea I've found, I think, has been from Shea Terra. Smooth, and some of the scents (though I haven't tried them) are supposedly awesome.

I'll search for Fox's recipe.

Link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586&highlight=fox%27s+shea+butter

Nightshade's Salve: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25085510

Shea Terra Shea: http://www.sheaterraorganics.com/category/22.html

Of the three, I HIGHLY recommend Nightshade's. I'd get a sample first to be sure you like it, but I've used it on my ends and the difference was phenomenal. However, Fox's cream is a great alternative as well, and Nightshade herself used it to grow out her damage before making her own, I think.

ilovelonghair
May 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Years ago I used to use shea butter and was quite happy with it, but then I couldn't find it anymore. Maybe the healthfood store might have shea butter. I'd like to try to make that recipe :)

Anje
May 29th, 2009, 08:07 AM
My ends are fluffier if they're getting dried out. Try just smearing a few drops of your normal conditioner through wet hair, especially on the ends.