PDA

View Full Version : Fresh aloe vera does miracles!

ilovelonghair
March 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Remember I had problems with my hair being 'crunchy'? Well I tried so many different things and nothing worked, but then I tried fresh aloe. It took a while, but it started to reduce the crunchyness. My hair is very different now. I can recommend this!

Alaia
March 9th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Fresh aloe? From the actual plant then rubbed on your hair?

As long as you removed the crystals I'm not surprised that would help. It soothes burns after all.

Cool. Now I'm going to buy an Aloe and use it for that :p

Marianne
March 9th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I bought an aloe vera plant in the hopes of using it for all sorts of home made stuff, but I couldn't stand the smell of it. It has too much of a weird, sweaty smell to it for me.:puke: It's a shame because it worked really well :shake:

ilovelonghair
March 9th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Yes I used the fesh leaves, open them up and rub them on my hair. I didn't seen any crystals in it, but it has a gel like structure and the sap is kind of sticky, but if lumps of that gel get in your hair it's easy to comb out. You apply it on damp hair.
The smell was indeed weird, but I'm getting used to it. The smell doesn't stay in your hair so that's good news :-)

Marianne
March 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
The smell was indeed weird, but I'm getting used to it. The smell doesn't stay in your hair so that's good news :-)

Oh? I might try using it on my hair then. When I first tried it I only used it on my skin (worked really well) and didn't bother with my hair because I couldn't stand the thought of having that smell wafting around me all day. If it disappears then that would be great.:D

Alaia
March 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Yes I used the fesh leaves, open them up and rub them on my hair. I didn't seen any crystals in it, but it has a gel like structure and the sap is kind of sticky, but if lumps of that gel get in your hair it's easy to comb out. You apply it on damp hair.

Okay to clarify what I meant about crystals.

As far as I'm aware sometimes they have crystal-like things which are actually poisonous. Err.... I could be wrong... that happens quite a lot of the time, but it is what I was told. :rolleyes:

So... dunno what effect that would have on hair.

Elfling
March 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Aloe is classified as a poisonous plant often, but it's not actually *poisonous*, the sap from right under the flesh can be an irritant, afaik.

I know it's Wiki, but:

Aloe vera latex—the yellow substance that comes from the inner side of the skin—can be highly irritating both externally and internally. Some people who have reported adverse effects from Aloe vera may be ingesting or applying this latex. Carefully removing all skin and any yellow substance before using Aloe may avoid such adverse effects. Gel used should be completely clear, odorless and tasteless.

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I use pure, bottled aloe gel, and my hair drinks it up. It loves it.

I have used fresh aloe, but I found the smell to be stronger and using the plant to be a hassle (compared to the commercial gel).

My favorite "recipe" these days is a small blob of aloe gel mixed with a few drops of Moonchaser's SS Oil. Divine!

Calista
March 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I second the AVG+oil suggestion. It works great for my hair! Commercial AVG all contain preservatives, though (which is no problem for me).

ilovelonghair
March 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Aloe is classified as a poisonous plant often, but it's not actually *poisonous*, the sap from right under the flesh can be an irritant, afaik.

I know it's Wiki, but:

Aloe vera latex—the yellow substance that comes from the inner side of the skin—can be highly irritating both externally and internally. Some people who have reported adverse effects from Aloe vera may be ingesting or applying this latex. Carefully removing all skin and any yellow substance before using Aloe may avoid such adverse effects. Gel used should be completely clear, odorless and tasteless.

Oh oh, that is what I use! The yellow stuff. Also on my skin, it works miracles. The clear gel like stuff is too hard too use as it's solid. I was thinking of using it in a blender and blending it up with condishener to be able to use it.
It's much easier for me to use the plant, the gel you buy is too expensive and the plants grow like weeds in my garden.

Actually there is an aloe plant that's edible, but it has much bigger leaves. I haven't seen that one over here yet.

Patrycja
March 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I've tried fresh aloe in some of my hair recipes,but never applied it directly to hair.I'm going to clip some from my plant soon and give that a go.thank you.

Village Mama
March 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I had owned an aloe plant before that had a horrible scent to it( I am talking really really bad because I am a lover of really earthy scents). I couldn't use it at all. Now I have a different plant that doesn't smell at all.... maybe try another plant? It is so worth having around the house!

ilovelonghair
March 10th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I wasn't sure if you can just use another type of aloe plant. I have two types, so I can try the other one.

sweetlidlred
March 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
How do you use the aloe? Do you use it as a leave in everyday, or as a deep treatment?

rx queen.
April 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
How do you use the aloe? Do you use it as a leave in everyday, or as a deep treatment?

this would be my question, too?

lynnala
April 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I just tried it, I cut off a piece, cut off the outer skin and just rubbed the darn thing all over my scalp and the length, massaged it in....I was actually wanting to gunk up my hair so I'd have an excuse to use my new CV bars that just came in. But now my hair is so shiny and soft and completely clean looking that I don't want to wash it! And the smell went away too, unless I just got used to it. One warning though; don't get the aloe on your lips, it is nasty tasting, and it lingers forever.

Choccielocks
April 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
I have an aloe plant and often use a bit on my face, but haven't tried it on my hair, but will try it!
I think if you make sure you don't get the outer greeny bits in then the smell isn't too bad. You are right about getting it on your lips lynnala, i must have got some under my fingernails or something, went to eat a packet of crisps and UUUGGGHHHH!!!!!:puke: