PDA

View Full Version : My curls won't hold... :-(

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
So I am trying to stop using anything but oil and conditioner in my hair, to keep it healthy. But I also want to be able to wear it down. My hair is 2C and very dry and very soft. When I airdry it, it looks kind of nice, but if i walk outside it will turn to a cotton looking thing. The curls wont hold unless i put any products in. What can i do to make it hold naturally, or does it need something to keep it together?

Bianca
May 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I dont know how to make them hold with no product. I use aloe vera gel to keep the curls in place. If I dont use anything on my 2c waves I end up with very frizzy hair :)

spidermom
May 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I use aloe vera gel also. Sometimes I even use styling gel or curl creme (and my hair is still in good condition).

natt i nord
May 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I've read something about a honey rinse. Maybe that could be an idea for you?
I think the sweet honey will hold the curls in place.

Carolyn
May 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I've accepted that my hair isn't going to hold a curl more than a few hours. Aloe vera helps a little. But very little on my hair. I recall making something with dissolved sugar in it year ago. It wasn't a good thing! If you want curls on occasion you might have to use a setting gel. I don't think it's that harmful if you only do it once in a while.

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I dont know how to make them hold with no product. I use aloe vera gel to keep the curls in place. If I dont use anything on my 2c waves I end up with very frizzy hair :)

I will try aloe vera gel, buy some tomorrow. :)
I use a hand cream to moist it, but it does nothing to the curls. It is just frizzy. :(

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I use aloe vera gel also. Sometimes I even use styling gel or curl creme (and my hair is still in good condition).

I have mousse and gel, but I thought it could be nice to add nothing and it still looks nice. But it did not. I will try aloe vera and other gel and mousse if I wear it down. :)

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I've read something about a honey rinse. Maybe that could be an idea for you?
I think the sweet honey will hold the curls in place.

Really? I feel weird putting food in my hair. :p Does it wash out easy?

hairstyleblogkr
May 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Sorry, but it sounds like you're 2c hair needs products to keep it where you want it. If you want to use something minimal, look for a multiple product in one option like a cream-gel or something similar. You can also try twisting hair around your finger and allowing to air dry, then don't even think about touching your hair until it is 120% dry or you run the risk of frizz. Try these tips for styling curly hair:

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I've accepted that my hair isn't going to hold a curl more than a few hours. Aloe vera helps a little. But very little on my hair. I recall making something with dissolved sugar in it year ago. It wasn't a good thing! If you want curls on occasion you might have to use a setting gel. I don't think it's that harmful if you only do it once in a while.

The curls are there they just wont keep together. It stays in shape but they seperate and live there own lifes so it just looks messy.

Carolyn
May 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
The curls are there they just wont keep together. It stays in shape but they seperate and live there own lifes so it just looks messy.:D Oh OK. I work hard to get that messy look. I can't seem to get it messy enough.

natt i nord
May 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Really? I feel weird putting food in my hair. :p Does it wash out easy?

I don't know how the rinse works and so on, I just read that it exists and what it does, but not how to use and so on.
But I put honey a few times into my shampoo and it washed out always fine. (My English already seems to be sleeping...)

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry, but it sounds like you're 2c hair needs products to keep it where you want it. If you want to use something minimal, look for a multiple product in one option like a cream-gel or something similar. You can also try twisting hair around your finger and allowing to air dry, then don't even think about touching your hair until it is 120% dry or you run the risk of frizz. Try these tips for styling curly hair:
http://www.hairstyle-blog.com/natural-curly-hair-styling-tips.html

Thank you for the link! The hard part about airdrying is that it is totaly impossible to do it without touthing or throwing it for three hours when you have 2 small children.:rolleyes: I guess I will have to use something strengthening in it to make it hold.

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 03:54 PM
:D Oh OK. I work hard to get that messy look. I can't seem to get it messy enough.

Messy can be pretty, but not my cotton messy frizzy thing. :D

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I don't know how the rinse works and so on, I just read that it exists and what it does, but not how to use and so on.
But I put honey a few times into my shampoo and it washed out always fine. (My English already seems to be sleeping...)

Ok, I have read that to. Good to know that it washes out I was worried about the sugar ang sticky part. Does it work with CO to?

curls2grow
May 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
If you want to wear it curly, you might want to check in at the Wurly/Curly thread here at LHC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369), or at www.naturallycurly.com. There is a forum at NC.com devoted to each curl type (2c, 3a, etc.) -- a great place to ask about experiences with products that work for that hair type.

I can't get my curls to hold without using a gel or lotion type product. I always use a leave-in first (I need it for detangling), then one of these:
* my HG for years has been Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic gel sold at Sally Beauty.
* I started using No Frizz by Living Proof this winter, when it first came out. Got great results with that and will defintely go back to that when I wear my hair loose in cooler weather. It's expensive stuff, so I don't want to use it when I know I am bunning for a while.
* I just (over the weekend) started using Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, which is a gel in a tub. They sell it at some whole foods. This has a lot of promise for my 3b/3c curls, but might not be great for looser curls like yours -- it has a lot of hold from what I'm seeing.

natt i nord
May 26th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Ok, I have read that to. Good to know that it washes out I was worried about the sugar ang sticky part. Does it work with CO to?

I didn't try, but I think it can work :)

Hannah83
May 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
If you want to wear it curly, you might want to check in at the Wurly/Curly thread here at LHC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369), or at www.naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com). There is a forum at NC.com devoted to each curl type (2c, 3a, etc.) -- a great place to ask about experiences with products that work for that hair type.

I can't get my curls to hold without using a gel or lotion type product. I always use a leave-in first (I need it for detangling), then one of these:
* my HG for years has been Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic gel sold at Sally Beauty.
* I started using No Frizz by Living Proof this winter, when it first came out. Got great results with that and will defintely go back to that when I wear my hair loose in cooler weather. It's expensive stuff, so I don't want to use it when I know I am bunning for a while.
* I just (over the weekend) started using Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, which is a gel in a tub. They sell it at some whole foods. This has a lot of promise for my 3b/3c curls, but might not be great for looser curls like yours -- it has a lot of hold from what I'm seeing.

Thank you, I will read tomorrow when I am not so tired as I am now. :D