PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with a bad haircut and so so color

Charlize
May 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I recently joined the LHC and I'm so impressed by this site and everyone here. You all have such amazing hair and you seem so nice!

I recently got a bad bad bad hair cut where they cut my bangs 1.5 inch too short and some of the other stuff with weird layers and the girl at the salon thinned it as well. Normally, I have thick head of hair, strong and often times mid back or waist. I just bought Natrol skin hair nails because I hope I'll make my hair grow fast(er). But do you guys prefer kelp or other products? I also take a mulitivitamin, omega 3, complex vitamin b, vitamin c, vitamin d as well as zink. I've bought some seabuckthornoil to massage my scalp with as I've read in here that it should help with growth...

Another thing is that I used to be blond but now my hair is dark brown. I really like it except that the girl at the salon saying that by my next coloring my hair will be saturated and the color will be even all over. The problem is that it's not! I went to another hairdresser and she could still see that I used to be a blond. I have a lot of hair but the outer layer seems to be a little fragile and somewhat black in the ends. So now I just had a bad haircut and a so so decent color.
Do you think that it would be okay if I oil it heavily that I color the hair even? I'm afraid to henna so I would have to use ordinary (bad) color!

I've been using Foxx's shea treatment to restore my hair with moisture and I oil it heavily before bed and washing (which I do 2-3 times a week).

Sorry for this long post but I'm just really frustrated right now and have been since the bad hair cut. I don't like to go out in public because I know that my hair looks bad compared to how my hair usualluy looks. So any advice on saving my hair from more split ends and how kick start its growth?

And again sorry for the long post!!!

mira-chan
May 26th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Welcome to LHC. :)

Sea Buckthorn is good, but I've not heard it used for growth. It does help with scalp and skin problems so if you have any growth delay due to fungus or mites then it will help.

For kelp, I prefer to eat it as food (canned "sea salad") than take supplements. You can also make a great tasting tea from powdered kelp. :yum:

Not sure about the coloring as I have no experience with it. I do know from reading accounts around here that oil will leach out chemical color, making it fade faster.

As for saving your hair, if it's long enough, put it up and ignore it for now. If you feel embarrassed from how it looks, wearing nice scarves tied in different waves will help and will protect your hair.

AlisaB
May 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I know it seems like the end of the world right now, but I agree with mira-chan. Just put it up for a little while. I would just oil it for a few months to see if the colour evens out. If not then by all means, henna away! Hair always grows back, especially bangs. You can just clip them out of your face a la Hilary Duff :) For your ends, I would really recommend trying Jojoba oil and/or coconut oil. Just apply a bit once you're out of the shower. For growth, you can also use a bit of either oil and massage the scalp for about 5-10 minutes daily. You might want to consider a more natural approach to hair care if your hair is very damaged. No silicones or SLS in shampoos.

babybabycat
May 27th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I know exactly how you feel. I got a bad cut and color last February. I cried for 2 weeks and didn't want to leave the house. I went to 3 salons for advice. I ended up getting my hair overall lightened to sorta match my normal color. Now it has grown almost 2 inches and I am happier.
Just give yourself some time to be angry, then indulge yourself. Take long baths, condition and oil your hair. Splurge on some hairtoys. Before you know it, you will have some new hairgrowth and things will be better.
This forum will empower you! Keep reading all the articles and postings. This site has information that will give you ownership of your hair!
It is OK to be upset about a bad haircut. I went on the internet and found pictures of what I want my hair to look like. The photos help me stay focused on my goal.
Give yourself some time, things will get better!

babybabycat
May 27th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I am also taking Phyto hair vitamins and they seem to be working. They were expensive, but I had to splurge, it helped me get over my bad haircut depression...

Charlize
May 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Welcome to LHC. :)

Sea Buckthorn is good, but I've not heard it used for growth. It does help with scalp and skin problems so if you have any growth delay due to fungus or mites then it will help.

For kelp, I prefer to eat it as food (canned "sea salad") than take supplements. You can also make a great tasting tea from powdered kelp. :yum:

Not sure about the coloring as I have no experience with it. I do know from reading accounts around here that oil will leach out chemical color, making it fade faster.

As for saving your hair, if it's long enough, put it up and ignore it for now. If you feel embarrassed from how it looks, wearing nice scarves tied in different waves will help and will protect your hair.

Thanks for all your advise. I will definitely try the 'kelp tea' :-).
When you say that oils can make color fade faster, what kind of oils are we talking about? I normally just use jojoba and coconut oil for my hair. About growth and seabuckthorn I've found the following article in here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=25

Charlize
May 30th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Also I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for giving me your advise on how to deal with my hair situation. I really really really appreciate it

Melisande
May 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Charlize, I found Igor's article about nutritional supplements (in the article section) very helpful and take a multivitamin, omega3, calcium, MSM and other goodies which helped my hair to grow stronger.

There is a wonderful thread somewhere about a treatment with essential oils for the scalp. It makes hair grow faster and stronger, that's at least my experience.

Probably you won't need it since your natural hair is already full and strong and thus nature will take its course... and you'll get your full head of hair back again.

It's very possible that nobody else sees your hair the way you do but thinks that's the way you want it to look. Nowadays you see so many heavily layered hairstyles in different colors that nothing is shocking any more. So don't feel bad. Half of the people on the street have worse heads than you and LOVE them :D It's all a matter of taste, really.

The nicest thing about hair is that it grows all the time and every mistake will grow out. One day it will be a story you tell others to comfort them. And that will be sooner than you think!

mira-chan
June 1st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks for all your advise. I will definitely try the 'kelp tea' :-).
When you say that oils can make color fade faster, what kind of oils are we talking about? I normally just use jojoba and coconut oil for my hair. About growth and seabuckthorn I've found the following article in here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=25
Hmm.. interesting. From my culture's herbal traditions (Russian) and also he packaging labels on these things Burdock oil is more likely to be used for growth than Sea buckthorn.

As for oil fading color. From what I have read here it that it pulls the color molecules from the hair a bit. So it slowly leaches out color. I'm not sure as to the process or how fast but from what I gather, most vegetable oils will do this. It is best to ask someone with hair dye experiencet though as mine is only second hand knowledge. :flower:

Charlize
June 3rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
Charlize, I found Igor's article about nutritional supplements (in the article section) very helpful and take a multivitamin, omega3, calcium, MSM and other goodies which helped my hair to grow stronger.

There is a wonderful thread somewhere about a treatment with essential oils for the scalp. It makes hair grow faster and stronger, that's at least my experience.

Probably you won't need it since your natural hair is already full and strong and thus nature will take its course... and you'll get your full head of hair back again.

It's very possible that nobody else sees your hair the way you do but thinks that's the way you want it to look. Nowadays you see so many heavily layered hairstyles in different colors that nothing is shocking any more. So don't feel bad. Half of the people on the street have worse heads than you and LOVE them :D It's all a matter of taste, really.

The nicest thing about hair is that it grows all the time and every mistake will grow out. One day it will be a story you tell others to comfort them. And that will be sooner than you think!

Melisande thank you for your suggesting Igor's article. It was really good and helpful. And I think you're right about it might just be me who sees my hair in a certain (bad) way. I'm probably too focused on my hair. It has just always been something I really liked about myself so when I think that it's in a bad state I kind of obsess about too much! And as you say it grows out again and it probably would go a lot faster if I didn't obsess so much ;-)

Charlize
June 3rd, 2009, 05:44 AM
Hmm.. interesting. From my culture's herbal traditions (Russian) and also he packaging labels on these things Burdock oil is more likely to be used for growth than Sea buckthorn.

As for oil fading color. From what I have read here it that it pulls the color molecules from the hair a bit. So it slowly leaches out color. I'm not sure as to the process or how fast but from what I gather, most vegetable oils will do this. It is best to ask someone with hair dye experiencet though as mine is only second hand knowledge. :flower:

I will definitely look into the Burdock oil - thanks for the advice ;-)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
It's definitely not the healthiest solution to your problem, but using temporary hair extensions saved my life through this awkward stage i'm having. :D

Charlize
June 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
It's definitely not the healthiest solution to your problem, but using temporary hair extensions saved my life through this awkward stage i'm having. :D

Yeah, I thought about that as well, but don't they damage your hair a lot?

Dreams_in_Pink
June 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Well, as i said it's not the healthiest solution; but if you're going through some kind of awkward stage, damaging hair a little won't really hurt you (as you can trim the ends afterwards)

as for losing hair due to extensions, if you attach the clips properly, tease the roots beforehand and be careful while removing, it won't pluck any hair at all. You can also go for ponytail extensions and half-wigs which are safer than clip-in extensions.

I've been using 3 piece clip-ins for like a month everyday and i had no probs with it :)