PDA

View Full Version : Static

mommy101405
April 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Is static normal or does it mean my hair is dry/ damaged. How do you deal it? I have terrible static. I have to wear my hair up all the time.

artemis
April 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
My static disappeared completely when I switched to CO. Maybe extra conditioner (either CWC or CO) would help. It worked for me.

Anje
April 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Static is definitely an indication of dryness. Whether that's of your hair or your environment varies among people and places. I agree with artemis -- loads of conditioner definitely reduces dryness, particularly if your conditioner has no protein and minimal silicone compounds (called 'cones around here, since the names end in -cone and -oxane most of the time). A tiny dab of oil can also reduce static and increase moisture, especially if you add it when your hair is damp or just barely dry.

ETA: Before others object, yes, you can get great moisture with 'cone-y conditioners. But they have the potential to build up and seal out moisture too, so appropriate compensations need to be taken with them.

mommabuck
April 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I use to have horrible static too and a pony tail was the only way I could function or my hair was sticking to everything and seemed to gravitate towards my face. People would walk past and my hair followed them.

I started using conditioner with extra moisturizer and also a leave in conditioner. That did the trick. MUCH better.

paper
April 8th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Using a Horn Comb helped me with static.

FrannyG
April 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I haven't had staticky hair since I started to CO without any cones. It's not an accident, because I recently used a coney conditioner that came in a package of haircolour, and my hair was staticky again.

However, I'm not suggesting that one shouldn't use cones. I know that some people thrive with them.

Perhaps a drop of oil on your hair might help with the static problem.

Haith
April 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I have no problems with static at home, but in some of the colleges at my university the air is just so dry that there's really nothing I can do about it. I carry a little bottle of leave-in creme in my bag to use when I'm there because as soon as I step into some of the classrooms I get a Static-Attack!

Your environment plays a major role, it's not always your hair's fault!