PDA

View Full Version : Is my hair thin, or just odd?

GlassEyes
May 26th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I just got a ficcare that I ordered from Curls2Grow (awesome to deal with, by the way), that I am incredibly pleased with because it looks about as masculine as a clip that's going to be used by a guy CAN be.

But anyway, my issue is this. It's a small, and it can hold up the ENTIRETY of my hair. I have layers that don't quite make it into my ponytail or into the ficcare, but they shouldn't matter, because even without them,my circumference is STILL a good 3.25 inches (and I just measured with two different instruments that gave me the SAME answer). Yet a small can hold it all up? XD;

I'd gotten it because I had a sneaking suspicion this might be true, but I wasn't sure. Now I don't know if my hair is thin or just normal. xD;

lora410
May 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think it is normal. My hair is about 3.25 and although a small can hold it the clamp is open (for a bun etc). Now if I put all my hair into a ponytail with a small, it would fall right out of my hair.I think it just varies with texture, length and how you put it up. Don't let a clip be the judge of thickness. I have seen your hair and it doesn't look thin AT ALL.

GlassEyes
May 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I think it is normal. My hair is about 3.25 and although a small can hold it the clamp is open (for a bun etc). Now if I put all my hair into a ponytail with a small, it would fall right out of my hair.I think it just varies with texture, length and how you put it up. Don't let a clip be the judge of thickness. I have seen your hair and it doesn't look thin AT ALL.
Actually, I JUST noticed that it was open on one side. xD;

Depending on how I shift it, it seems to clamp down differently. I think that if I want to hold al my hair and get it OUT easily, I'll have to get a medium. xD;

rags
May 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Ah, don't feel bad. I have a small, and it's too big to hold all of my hair! I'd say my hair is thin, yours is normal.

spidermom
May 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
It's length of hair as well as ponytail thickness. Trust me - with more length, the small won't hold as well. I started out with a medium Ficarre and BSL-length hair. It worked at least part of the time until my hair passed waist length. Then it was too small.

amaiaisabella
May 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM
My old Ficcare (size small) used to hold all my hair and still have room to spare, so don't feel bad. If it holds and is comfortable (definitely key, mine kept snagging hairs so I sold it) then you should be in good shape :)

Furiana
May 29th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Actually, I JUST noticed that it was open on one side. xD;

Depending on how I shift it, it seems to clamp down differently. I think that if I want to hold al my hair and get it OUT easily, I'll have to get a medium. xD;

Well, there you go. It's NOT large enough to hold it all, even though it holds it all up! XD

And can you imagine what would happen if your hair really *were* thicker? With the same volume from the same curls? :scared:

MemSahib
May 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
If your hair is fine that also must be factored in since fine hair compresses amazingly.

girlcat36
May 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I have a small. When I bought it my ponytail was about 3". I just had a shed so it's less than that now. Anyway at 3" I could use it for a ponytail, or a peacock twist with the clamp barely open.
The medium was a no-go, way too big.
I think your hair is very normal!

Speckla
May 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
It also depends on if your hair is wet or dry. I can get all my hair into these small clips when it's wet but wouldn't be able to when it's dry.

chelssix
May 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I think it's normal- chances are, when your hair is longer (and heavier) it won't hold it all anymore.

Speckla
May 29th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Longer hair = more layers to a bun = more thickness. :cheese:

Anje
May 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
It's probably quite normal. As MemSahib said, fine hair seems to be highly "compactable," and you don't have tons of length yet. As your buns get more wraps, you'll need a longer clip to hold them, but right now there isn't as much to span. I have a smaller circumference than you, but also fine hair, and have only recently figured out how to comfortably wear a large Maximas (which needs a little more hair than a large Ficarrissimo).

Also, when your hair gets longer, you still may be able to make the small work. I have a little silver fakkare without teeth that's about 3 inches or so. It can't get close to spanning a cinnamon bun, but if I clip it in the right place, it'll still hold the whole mass all day. It's just a matter of making it the lynchpin of the whole updo.

aisling
May 30th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Well, there you go. It's NOT large enough to hold it all, even though it holds it all up! XD

And can you imagine what would happen if your hair really *were* thicker? With the same volume from the same curls? :scared:

It is supposed to not close all the way, it holds better and more secure that way. I'd say it's a perfect fit then.