PDA

View Full Version : Help! Family issues

Toadstool
May 26th, 2009, 01:02 AM
OKay as some of you know I bleached my hair a while back and I like it.
However I have just come back from a weekend with my mum and grandma who are both blonde (well my Grandma's silver) and they said how much I look like them. EEEEEEKKKK!
I am naturally very dark (with silver) and due to ongoing family issues the thought of looking like my female relatives REALLY freaks me out.
Should I dye it dark brown/black??
I KNOW this is an overreaction but we have had hair battles (and other battles) throughout my life and honestly them saying they like it and I look like one of them completely does my head in.
But I have more confidence as a bleached blonde.
Any advice?

RancheroTheBee
May 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Hmmm. All I can say is, there are different kinds of blondes. Pamela Anderson and Reese Witherspoon both have the same shade of hair, but they're not the same person, are they?

Just remember that your hair color might be similar, but you aren't your mother or grandmother. You are your own person.

jera
May 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Maybe they're trying to use reverse psychology on you? :confused: In any case, I wouldn't take any action that might compromise the health of my hair for any family member no matter what they said. It's your hair and you're an individual. In other words don't let what they have said freak you out. There are so many ways to look different from them without damaging your hair. Let it grow down to your ankles. How's that for looking different? :p

Flynn
May 26th, 2009, 01:40 AM
No! You're you! Don't let them, or the fear of looking like them, drive your life!

Nat242
May 26th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Going against your own personal desires to "rebel" against them is not far different from going against your own personal desires in order to "please" them. Both actions indicate that your relatives have power over you and your choices, and that you allow them to have that power.

If you feel better as a blonde - GREAT. That doesn't (or shouldn't) have anything to do with them. If you dye your hair a colour you're not happy with in order to not "be like them", you're still in their thrall; you're still letting them guide actions that should be your responsibility and only yours.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 26th, 2009, 01:56 AM
My mother and Lady Gaga also have the same colour of hair, but they look nowhere like each other :D

It all depends on how you wear it and how the rest of your style goes.

longhairedfairy
May 26th, 2009, 02:33 AM
It's your own darn hair. Bugger all else.

magpielaura
May 26th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Dyeing your hair a colour you don't want just to cover a colour they like would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. They may have said they liked it as a form of self flattery - it is a similar tone to their hair; you look great in it; therefore they look great. Next time you see them wear your hair in a style they wouldn't dream of or put some bizzare coloured streaks in with a wash-out product if you feel happier not getting compliments and comparisons. Don't do anything permanent just to rebel!

minkstole
May 26th, 2009, 03:45 AM
If you like yourself as a blonde, I see no need for you to change your haircolour.

Sasha_S
May 26th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Ack, I know exactly what you mean.
Henna always comes out beautifully over bleached hair, and it really helps strengthen it back up - maybe do that? :)
x

Toadstool
May 26th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Of course you are all right, and of course I didn't wait for your responses but rushed out and bought some dark brown dye and am currently siiting with it on my head. I did leave w blonde streaks though.
On the plus dark does suit me better it' just blonde made me feel brighter but hopefully the streaks will still do that.
fifteen years of therapy and I'm still overreacting to my mother!

minkstole
May 26th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Most women have mother-issues, even if the mother is perfectly fine;)
Good luck with the dye - maybe we´ll get a pic later?