PDA

View Full Version : Is oiling bad for dyed hair?

SheWolf
May 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
My hair is chemically colored, in salon. I had started to oil it when dry, it made it feel super soft and silky, but then I read somewhere here that oil strips color from hair.
Are we talking pre wash deep oiling, wet oiling, dry oiling or all of the above?
(I was dry oiling, btw)

amandasmith911
May 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I would like to know the answer to this question too. I have been oiling my color treated hair too.

Nypsy
May 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM
My hair is chemically colored, in salon. I had started to oil it when dry, it made it feel super soft and silky, but then I read somewhere here that oil strips color from hair.
Are we talking pre wash deep oiling, wet oiling, dry oiling or all of the above?
(I was dry oiling, btw)

I know hot oil treatments strip color from hair because the heat opens the hair and allows the dye to seep out. Pre wash deep oiling might make the color fade quicker because you have to wash a little more to get it out. I'm pretty sure light oiling, wet or dry, is perfectly ok though. :)

SheWolf
May 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I know hot oil treatments strip color from hair because the heat opens the hair and allows the dye to seep out. Pre wash deep oiling might make the color fade quicker because you have to wash a little more to get it out. I'm pretty sure light oiling, wet or dry, is perfectly ok though. :)

I sure hope so because I love how it makes my hair feel.

Blue Willow
May 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM
As far as I know oiling (w/o heat) shouldnt effect the depth of color. I've been oiling my hair for the past several months and there has been no noticable change in color, so IMO it probably is just fine.

Natalia
May 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM
The majority of my length is dyes and if anything dry oiling has made it darker but maybe a bit more translucent, if that makes any sense? Let me try this way i dyes my heai r a very aubern red many years ago and since my natural color is blonde the more translucent my hair is the more the red shows. Bu tthe actual color itself (dark brown) seems darker and other people have said the same. I dont know just my 2 cents. I agree about the heat though i wouldnt do hot oil especially for at least 2 weeks after coloring when your most suseptable

SheWolf
May 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks, everyone.
I don't use heat, but... when I was out of town, we went backpacking for 5 days and I oiled my hair, wore a hat, but the heat was in the upper 90s, so if that counts, I guess I used heat for 5 consecutive days.
Otherwise I don't, I only oil on dry hair, I use just a tiny bit.

serenitygal
May 26th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I color chemically too. I usually don't do a prolonged or warm oil soak unless I'm about to dye (I'll wash out the oil pre-dye, obviously) but if anything the light daily oiling I do seems to keep my color better. My entirely non-scientific theory is that the oil moisturizes the hair, keeping the cuticle closed and smooth, while if the hair is dry, it'll have an open cuticle and lose the dye faster (or, by the same token, gain color more quickly when you color).

Just a guess on my part, though. Perhaps someone more scientific than I can answer this better.

I'd also add that immediately post-dye, I'll try not to wash for 3-4 days minimum and I wear my hair up all the time with some oil and aloe vera on it. This seems to me to "set" the color (a semipermanent, I should add) better. Again, I could be wrong.

Ash
May 26th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Chemical dye user here, never had any problems with oiling lightening the color. I have oiled on dry hair in the past, and in the year or so on damp or wet hair only (due to dry oiling drying my hair to a crisp), heavy and light oilings, and I seem to only have the standard dye fade that comes with red base dyes. I have more of a problem with vinegar or citric acid rinses taking out color.
Oh, I have used coconut, walnut, avocado, and occasionally jojoba, olive, and macadamia nut oils in the last few years, if that helps at all.

SheWolf
May 26th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I oiled on dry hair again tonight, (tonight was shampoo night) and it really does look and feel way better. I shampoo every 3-4 days, the rest of the time I either do nothing or I CO wash.
I've learned all these tricks since joining LHC, before that, my hair was in huge trouble, lol.
Thanks everyone for your input, it's good to know I'm not the only one who chemically dyes and uses oil.
After all... that many people can't be wrong, HAA!! :p