PDA

View Full Version : Do you use cones??

xsadiemamx
May 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I have this theory that people with coarse/dry hair or like thick poofy hair NEED thier cones. My hair is really thick and wavy and actually a mixture between coarse/and fine (top half is coarse bottom half fine lol). Its also pretty dry I only wash my hair like 1 or twice a week. If I were to cut my hair to my shoulders it would poof out like CRAZY! I absolutley need my cones. And actually to be honest, oils dont really work too wel for me. ACV rinses work the balls though. Anyways, I am just curious who needs them and who hates them and what your hair type/condition/ect... is! This also might actually help people in choosing what shampoo and conditioner will work for them in the future. (if you have a similar hair type as someone else)

Speckla
May 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Yes, I use and need cones. My hair is shoulder length, curly, mediumish (not so fine anymore), and very naturally dry. I just need way less than I did when all my hair was damaged from heat and chemicals. I don't have to condition everyday. My hair does better when products weigh it down but they don't necessarily have to be cones. I cowash and try to use watersoluble cones. I like Aussie products or most anything that has aloe, no protein or mineral oils. I do shampoo once a week or when necessary so I don't worry too much about buildup. This may change as my hair gets a lot longer.

akurah
May 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I have 1c hair (2a if I REALLY push it or if I keep it shorter than shoulder length or so), thick, can be prone to frizz, and while my hair doesn't NEED cones, I love cones. I adore them, I adore how manageable they make my hair, and how soft, etc.

I wash maybe... once every three or four days. Depends on my moods. I have been known to wash daily, but I'm not especially prone to such.

My hair also loves oils, if that means anything. :shrug:

MsBubbles
May 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I am a recreational cone user :). I was on the organic hair product bandwagon for about 10 months, and the condition of my hair didn't really get any worse for it. However, I used cones the other day for the first time in ages and could not believe how silky and hair-like my hair felt - more like kite string, rather than woolly fluff. So I decided to start using cones again (actually only the conditioner - Sunsilk hydra TLC). With cones my ends feel a bit harder, not exactly drier or more brittle, so I'm mixing it up - if I want to wear my hair down and have it behave itself, I'll use the cones.

BTW, nothing coarse or thick about my hair!

mira-chan
May 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Dry, poofy, coarse hair and wouldn't touch cones. They make my hair feel like awful doll hair, to the point of breakage. In addition to that they make me itch.

I use oils. My hair would poof out and up if it were short, so I don't even think about cutting it short.

Shermie Girl
May 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I am a cone head. I have thick, wavy, fine/medium hair that goes into superpoof mode at the merest hint of humidity in the region. Judicious use of cones helps to keep the poof to a minimum. :D

Elphie
May 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Neither dry nor oily hair, medium texture, fairly thick, no cones on a regular basis. I do have one cone conditioner that I'll use once in a while, mainly because it was expensive but I don't see any benefits from using it. It smells really nice though.

whiteisle
May 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM
1c(ish), thick, medium/coarse, prone to frizz, length reduces fluff type hair........I've abandoned cones. I've been using poo bars and ACV rinses with honey, then coconut oil on ends and a wee bit throughout. My hair loves it.

In fact I experimented with some Aussie Moist yesterday and I couldn't believe how hay-like it left my hair and ends - yuck! I practically couldn't wait til this morning to wash it out. I don't think I'll be going down that road again anytime soon.

Aisha25
May 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Nope my hairs hates cones and gets dry and tangly if I use them.

teela1978
May 25th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I don't really need them, and occasionally I'll stop using them for a bit. I do like them though. They really make my hair shine and I think they make it fall/move better. My personal theory is that the porousness of your hair has more to do with liking/disliking cones than anything else, sortof a sitting-on-top versus soaking-in thing. I didn't care for cones as much when my hair was more damaged and more porous.

AJoifulNoise
May 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I prefer conditioners with -cones for CO and shampoo/conditioning. I have lots of M hair. The ends are still coppery from box dye, but the condition of my hair from root to tip is actually really good. My problems with cone-free products are that they leave my hair poofy and fly away. And, that I've yet to encounter one that gives me the desired amount of slip.

Natalia
May 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I have this theory that people with coarse/dry hair or like thick poofy hair NEED thier cones. My hair is really thick and wavy and actually a mixture between coarse/and fine (top half is coarse bottom half fine lol). Its also pretty dry I only wash my hair like 1 or twice a week. If I were to cut my hair to my shoulders it would poof out like CRAZY! I absolutley need my cones. And actually to be honest, oils dont really work too wel for me. ACV rinses work the balls though. Anyways, I am just curious who needs them and who hates them and what your hair type/condition/ect... is! This also might actually help people in choosing what shampoo and conditioner will work for them in the future. (if you have a similar hair type as someone else)

Going off cones was kind of an almost accidently on purpose thing. My health was failing and i havent been able to wash my hair as much as i was used to (which was really too much :p but beside the point lol) and cones just casued me alot of hellish build up. Id been meaning to go natural anyway (which obviously has no cones) so here was my excuse. Well im still trying to go natural but going off cones has heled me alot. I have fine and thin hair with fall out issues and has previosuly been chemcially dyed.

Now that ive gotten through that aweful greasiness of not washing for weeks on end (its been over a month since my last wash, hope thats not to TMI) i refuse to go back to scrubbing my scalp ever again. I have also developed a pretty severe reaction to most sudsing agents like SLS. I figure its my bodies not so subtle way of telling me natural is whats right for me. My hairs condition other than being overly oiled whch really only affects the appearance has greatly improved other than my fallout issues but that started a while ago now. Its SUPER shiny most of the time (i know oil but i had to say it im proud :D ), detangles much better unless i use too much shea or something, and generally just feels better when i run my fingers through it. Ive got a ways to go but im a lot better off than i was and ditching cones was part of that.

Natalia

Darkhorse1
May 25th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I use them. My hair likes them, gives me soft ends after frying outside at horse shows or teaching. I found without cones, my ends were less manageable.

Flynn
May 25th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Cones, because my only option with shampoo and conditioner at this point contains them. I can "over-cone" my hair, and suspect that not all cones are created equal (dimethicone and dimethiconol are nice, pentasiloxane seems to be nasty.)

suicides_eve
May 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I stopped using cones for about 2 years. i only recently use a cone conditioner b/c my former brand went to adding cones in there products. Until i can find other product that i enjoy, cones are a last ditch resort.
they make my hair flat and frizzy taking away from my curls not to mention the texture of my hair is gross and fake feeling. cone free was the best thing my hair ever went through

Bianca
May 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I have 2c-ish wavy and Thick hair. Currently i'm following the CG method. No cones, no sulfates :p

Michele
May 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I tried the no cone routine, i really tried :P. I was off cones for 3 months or so.. And my hair just got so tangly en prone to breakage.. I have really really fine hair, so i think my hair needs the slip and coating from cones.. I do like the shine they seem to give. Oh well, at least i tried ;)

spidermom
May 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I like both no-cone and using cones. My shampoo and conditioner have no cones, but I have a coney serum. I always leave about a teaspoon of conditioner in my hair after washing, then I either add a little oil and aloe vera gel OR my coney serum. The cones make my hair much easier to detangle and seal in the moisture. The oil and AVG make the tangling a little worse by holding dust and lint in my hair, but the combination helps bring out the wave/curl. The condition of my hair is very good, although I can always find splits when I look for them. It seems inevitable once hair gets this long.

helen2806
May 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I'm a definite cone-head! I tried cone free for a month or two and it only gave me good results for the first couple of weeks. My hair feels and looks so much better with cones so I'm sticking to them :)

3azza
May 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I love cones, i tried to stop them and i ruined my hair, oiling was not enough and my hair was tangling into lumps and balls. Thanks to cones i was able to grow my hair to waist length, before that i never made it to such length, and when i stopped them for a month i had to take a couple of inches because my hair went fluffy dry and split.

Pixna
May 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I am a 2b with medium hair that looks thicker because it's fluffy. I use only natural products -- no cones, no sulfates, as pure as possible. I tried a coney product about a month or two ago just for the heck of it. My hair hated it, and so did I. I'm cone free all the way.

natt i nord
May 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I've got a cone conditioner for my ends to protect them from splitting. They do though, but it seems it helps a bit.

I can't use it for the whole length though, my hair looks slightly exploded then in the first two days after washing.

Torrin Paige
May 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I am a cone fiend. I have heavy, thick hair and without cones I wouldn't be able to get a comb through it no way, no how. I am addicted to the slip cones provide and, being strawberry blonde, they are the only thing (well them and coconut oil treatments) that give me any hope of super shiny hair that so many of you brunettes (and auburn haired gals) enjoy. My hair doesn't frizz to awfully bad on humid days, as a matter of fat it's the super dry days that do me in. My hair will turn to tangled straw with a lack of humidity. Cones have saved my hair.

hannabiss
August 3rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Obviously this applies to when my hair was tailbone. And before I had ever colored it. But even when my hair was healthy I liked comes to untangle after

sarahthegemini
August 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
(Edited my original post as my routine has hanged)

I'm cone-free. When I was using cones, my hair was great (soft, smooth, slip) but all of a sudden that all changed and my hair felt quite rough. I switches to cone-free and initially the roughness was the same but my ends were like straw! After being cone-free for a few weeks, my hair is in great condition! It's soft, smooth, really really shiny and there is no dryness whatsoever.

I think my condition has improved massively due to changing my wash routine to cwc, in addition to using cone-free products. My hair is much fuller too.

My hair is 1b/1c.

nobeltonya
August 3rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Yes, my hair needs cones! :) It is 2a/b / M/C / ii (like 3.5") and getting increasingly.more coarse as it grows.. and without cones my hair is a dry mess. I feel like it'll break off.. even though it doesn't. I wash daily, lately experimenting with Suave Professionals lower sulphate shampoo and Aussie Miraculously Smooth conditioner. These 2 work well together. I had tried this shampoo with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and it was a horrible combination.. smelled good though. And I use a coney leave-in: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth cream. Since it's hot, I've actually forgone using coconut oil for the past few weeks now :O and so far so good :) It was way too heavy and clogs my pores. BUT, when it gets colder, I will be regularly oiling again and will switch back to my regular sulphate shampoo (this one doesn't seem to go well with oiling also). :disco:

ludwig20
August 3rd, 2013, 03:53 PM
I haven't used cones for quite a while. I haven't felt the need to go back ever since I started using coconut oil before washing my hair. I also like to use a leave-in conditioner with shea butter and coconut oil. This helps relatively well for my frizzy, coarse texture. The occasional knot(s) will show up a few times, but it's more manageable now.

jacqueline101
August 3rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
I use a cone spray in shine oil.

Leeloo
August 3rd, 2013, 11:17 PM
I try not to use cones. The only one product that I would use cones in is a frizz tamer, but I found a pretty good frizz control serum that's cone free from Loreal EverSleek. It's pretty good.

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 4th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I'm a 1C/2A (2A most days I think) and I use cones in my conditioner. My hair is a terrible tangled mess if I don't, despite being in alright condition. My texture doesn't change much at all.

alexis917
August 5th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Cone-free extra thick 1c! I'm fuller without them, and actually shinier. (I use VO5 and coconut oil.)

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I tried no cones the first month I did LHC and my hair got even harder to untangle that it already was at that time. Then I tried the tightly curly method, which uses cones and it improved my hair a lot. And I'm still using Tresseme smooth and silky as my leave in right now and its working. But I will probably try no cones again in the future at some point, now that my hair has improved so much.

for the records, I have high density, coarse, curly hair which used to poof. I don't think the cones stop the poof--aloe vera gel and honey did that, I think. But they do make my hair easier to detangle, which goes like a dream nowadays, I wouldn't have believed it could be like this last year.

luxepiggy
August 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Piggy is the 'cone queen! \(^(oo)^)/

Or 'cone princess, at the very least (^(oo)~)

jeanniet
August 5th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Thick, curly hair and no cones here. I actually wouldn't mind using them, but despite many tries with different kinds, my hair just hates them.

KittyBird
August 5th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I was cone-free for a long while because I stopped using conditioner when I started washing with shampoo bars, but a few months ago I decided to start using a coney leave-in conditioner because my hair was being tangly and unmanageable. Now my hair has less tangles, it's smoother, shinier and much easier to comb (and smells lovely too!). My hair just loves cones! The leave-in I use is from Garnier Fructis :cool:

lapushka
August 5th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I have F hair (2aFiii), and it's not what I call particularly dry, in fact it's quite oily (there's a need to wash 2 to 3 times a week, but it's currently stretched out to once a week). I love cones, or no-cones, and we use both interchangeably (of course clarifying washes are part of this "routine").

massivecnqstdr
August 5th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I don't use silicones, mostly because I have to worry about build-up with co-washing. I know that certain silicones are bioaccumulative in wildlife, and I don't appreciate that, either. Getting them out of my makeup routine has been much more of a feat than getting them out of my haircare. Yes, my hair is smoother with silicones... but I kind of like the idea of being able to accurately assess my hair's health. Sometimes silicones trick me into thinking my hair is doing great, until I shampoo and realize how much it was hiding!

littleghost
August 18th, 2013, 10:47 PM
So today I made the decision to ditch cones and chemical hair dye and go completely natural after all I've been reading here. I bought Burt's Bee's shampoo and conditioner from their "Güd" line and I use coconut oil on my ends. So far I am absolutely loving it! The smell is delicious too!
My hair became dry, yet felt greasy and "dirty" all of a sudden, then I found out it may be because of the cone buildup. My hair is also chemically damaged from previous bleach and dye jobs, so I feel the coconut oil definitely helps with that. Most of all, my hair feels really clean now. Yay. Gonna start using henna/cassia for the color soon.
;)

Ashenputtel
August 19th, 2013, 02:13 AM
I have 1C thick fine hair. I don't use cone or conditioner. I use sulfates though. My hair as low porosity and it doesn't get dry. The only thing I miss about cones is having less lint and dust in my hair. I use Catnip as conditioner but sometimes I just do shampoo only.

millyaulait
August 19th, 2013, 02:17 AM
I don't use cones any more just because I've been trying to bring out my natural hair texture & get my damaged hair as healthy as possible.

I do LOVE what cones do to my hair though, and I often think about going back to them, but the shampoo/conditioner that I love so very much is also pretty harsh in a lot of ways.

Blergh.

Melle
August 19th, 2013, 02:33 AM
The most time I am cone-free, because I didnīt need them. But sometimes (I think once a month or two months) I am using a conditioner with cones (aussie) and I love it! (especially the smell - like bubble gum :) )
It makes my hair very silky and shiny. I think that the cones protect my hair from damage too.

But in my shampoo may not be cones! Or general in a product which contact my skin.

Melle
August 19th, 2013, 02:36 AM
The most time I am cone-free, because I didnīt need them. But sometimes (I think once a month or two months) I am using a conditioner with cones (aussie) and I love it! (especially the smell - like bubble gum :) )
It makes my hair very silky and shiny. I think that the cones protect my hair from damage too.

But in my shampoo may not be cones! Or general in a product which contact my skin.

Anabell
August 19th, 2013, 05:24 AM
I use cones in my conditioner. Right now I use SLS free shampoo, so no cones in the shampoo. I have oily scalp. I wash my hair every 5 days, in the 5 day it is all covered with sebum. My hair strands thickness are medium to fine. I have a lot of hair and it tangle prone. I know it's not build up or something, because I have this tangles all my life, and I barely use any hair products (sometimes I washed with shampoo only. the horror). I also did some clarify sessions after join to LHC. It was still tangly. So I need my cones. I don't need them for my scalp, I have enough oils there, but my length needs them. Maybe after my hair will be all virgin I will can do without them...

misspurdy06
August 20th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I have long thick coarse hair and I hate cones.

I don't wash my hair every day so the cones flake off and my ends get sticky and clumpy and hard to brush.

roboeyes
September 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I use cones every few washes. I co-wash with Suave Naturals and Say Yes to Blueberries conditioner, but it's nice to have that super slip from cones every now and then, especially with long hair that likes to tangle.

I really like Aussie products. :)

LAG93
September 5th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I use products with and without cones. For shampoos and conditioners, I currently alternate between mane and tail, and tresemme naturals. As far as I know, they are all cone free shampoos and conditioners. But then I use a coney serum called chi keratin silk infusion, and it's not just the cones that I love in this product! It has actual silk and keratin amino acids, that along with the cones I find make my hair feel and look amazing. And I think it actually is improving my hair overall, it's not just that the cones are hiding the damage.

MaryO
September 5th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I have tried to go cone free a couple of times and the tangles in my wet hair was reDONculous so I'm not going there again. I just feel that my hair likes the cones and I'll stick to it. If I feel build up I do an ACV rinse and everything's dandy again. My hair is rather fine and it doesn't make it limp so why not! ;-)

YamaMaya
September 5th, 2013, 11:37 AM
My hair is way too heavy and weighed down with cones, so they're a no go for me.

ositarosita
September 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I have 2a/b, medium thickness and fine strands, I find my hair feels its best with dimethicone, but it can not stand mineral oil. I find the only oils that really work for me are grape seed oil, sweet almond oil and coconut oil (coconut oil only if used in a mixed can not be used as is).