PDA

View Full Version : club soda for rinsing hair out

Sossity
May 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I read in the articles base about club soda to rinse hair out after swimming,

how do I use the club soda? do a make a diluted mix of club soda with tap water in a reused water bottle to rinse my hair & body with? & then do a final rinse off with my tap water? or use the club soda straight out of the bottle? then final tap water rinse?

does club soda need to be refrigerated after opening? how long does it keep before going rancid? will it leave stickiness on my skin & hair? I have always thought of any type of soda beverage as sticky since they are sweet.

what about rinsing off with a baking soda water mix? after pool & ocean? I read one of the ingredients in club soda is sodium bicarbonate.

another factor is I have hard water, how will club soda react with it? I dont want soap scum or residue left in my hair.

Carolyn
May 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I don't think club soda has sugar in it. I could be wrong. I don't think it would go bad. It would lose it's fizz after a while. Club soda is often used for cleaning spilled food and beverages off clothing and furniture. I'd be leery of a baking soda rinse. BS with shampoo stripped and dried out my hair. What about rinsing your hair with distilled water? Could you take along a bottle of that for rinsing? I'm assuming there isn't a shower at the pool.

manderly
May 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Sossity, I think you are really making things harder than they need to be. Before swimming in a pool or at the beach, wet your hair down. It won't absorb much. You can also coat it in condish or oils. You won't do any permanent damage to your hair from a few days at the beach or pool.

Club soda is carbonated water. It goes flat in about a day after opening it. It won't get rancid, it won't make you sticky, but I don't see the purpose of it. :shrug:

Sossity
May 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Sossity, I think you are really making things harder than they need to be. Before swimming in a pool or at the beach, wet your hair down. It won't absorb much. You can also coat it in condish or oils. You won't do any permanent damage to your hair from a few days at the beach or pool.

Club soda is carbonated water. It goes flat in about a day after opening it. It won't get rancid, it won't make you sticky, but I don't see the purpose of it. :shrug:

Someone told me about club soda in the articles section, & there is an article about it, that is why I asked, it was recommended right here in the articles section, I did not make it up just off the top of my head.

I would rather do something more along the lines of what you recommended, club soda seemed a little odd to me too. May be I will just coat it with a little coconut oil that I have in a jar, or spray it down with some water in a spray bottle before going in the ocean or pool.

ktani
May 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I wrote the Article on swimming and hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115) after research how to neutralize chlorine with it.

Club soda does not contain sugar (http://www.schweppesus.com/TextOnly/product.aspx) and should not make hair sticky.

It does contain baking soda but is still acidic which means that it would be more hair friendly than a baking soda solution on its own.

It has been recommended online to help remove product build-up as well. (http://www.ehow.com/how_2196664_beautiful-shiny-hair-club-soda.html) It makes sense to me.

The pH when I tested it (Schweppes) was around 6 although it may be slightly less.

I would rinse hair first with plain water then rinse it again with straight club soda. It should not go off. I tested the pH when the can was just opened and later when the soda had gone somewhat flat. The pH remained constant.

Flynn
May 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Club soda is carbonated water.

O.o In my part of the world, club soda is more like carbonated American lemonade!

Sossity
May 26th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I wrote the Article on swimming and hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115) after research how to neutralize chlorine with it.

Club soda does not contain sugar (http://www.schweppesus.com/TextOnly/product.aspx) and should not make hair sticky.

It does contain baking soda but is still acidic which means that it would be more hair friendly than a baking soda solution on its own.

It has been recommended online to help remove product build-up as well. (http://www.ehow.com/how_2196664_beautiful-shiny-hair-club-soda.html) It makes sense to me.

The pH when I tested it (Schweppes) was around 6 although it may be slightly less.

I would rinse hair first with plain water then rinse it again with straight club soda. It should not go off. I tested the pH when the can was just opened and later when the soda had gone somewhat flat. The pH remained constant.

would I use it mainly for/after the swimming pool? or the ocean as well?

does club soda keep? or does it go rancid?

Elphie
May 26th, 2009, 03:23 AM
There is nothing in club soda to go rancid, it's carbonated water.

ktani
May 26th, 2009, 04:52 AM
would I use it mainly for/after the swimming pool? or the ocean as well?

does club soda keep? or does it go rancid?

I would use it for both. 1 can is about a dollar or less. Anything left over can be drunk (or used in a drink) or used on skin. Club soda shelf life, canned, unopened. (http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/16903)It is more than just carbonated water by definition but it would depend on label ingredients.

All about different waters. (http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/beverages/waters/water-glossary.asp#s)

This applies to all opened bottled water.
"After a bottle of water is opened, it should be refrigerated and used within two weeks to avoid contamination with harmful bacteria and other organisms. For more information see the publications below." (http://waterquality.cce.cornell.edu/bottled.htm)

manderly
May 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM
O.o In my part of the world, club soda is more like carbonated American lemonade!

How odd!!! :D

Madame J
May 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I tried this after a morning swim because I usually smell like pool all day, even when I shampoo. I didn't even wash my hair after club-soda-ing it, and it was really nice all day.

I got a 6-pack of mini bottles (10 oz., I think), and just took a little bottle into the shower with me. I rinsed off, detangled my hair under cool running water, and then warmed up the water, and cracked open the little bottle. I poured it all over my head, and then rinsed off, and did the rest of my shower (washed face, washed pits 'n bits) and dried off and went about my day. When my hair dried, it just smelled like clean hair, not like pool. And it was soft and shiny. I actually left my hair down until I had to adjust a laser instead of braiding it into submission like a normal pool day.

Canada Dry Club Soda is in a blue-labeled bottle and is pretty classic. It's carbonated water with mineral salts, and no sugar. It'll go flat, but not rancid. I keep it in the fridge after it's opened because I also like to drink it.

manderly
May 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Good to know. Maybe I'll give it a try one day. :shrug:

Heidi_234
May 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
yeah I keep mine in the fridge too (I got a big bottle, so I pour out some and keep it cold in the meanwhile).
Wetting hair alone does not prevent the chlorine to get to the hair, or damage it. If it was that simple, there would be any trouble with it. Oiling hair or applying conditioner before swimming won't help that much either, but help contaminate the pool water (so thankfully not many people know about it).
BTW, while we are on the topic, I contacted speedo regarding chlorine leaking into the swim cap (I got the special long hair swim cap for my apparently long hair) and they replied that they are sorry, and swim caps are meant to keep hair off the face but not prevent chlorine to get into the hair, and that they "have passed [my] comments on to the relevant department for you, it may be something Speedo may take on board in the near future."
Yeah, right.
So yeah, now I employ the club soda full time. I intend to find cone-free conditioner that lists EDTA to condition my hair after the pool, it can only help.

ktani
May 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I tried this after a morning swim because I usually smell like pool all day, even when I shampoo. I didn't even wash my hair after club-soda-ing it, and it was really nice all day.

I got a 6-pack of mini bottles (10 oz., I think), and just took a little bottle into the shower with me. I rinsed off, detangled my hair under cool running water, and then warmed up the water, and cracked open the little bottle. I poured it all over my head, and then rinsed off, and did the rest of my shower (washed face, washed pits 'n bits) and dried off and went about my day. When my hair dried, it just smelled like clean hair, not like pool. And it was soft and shiny. I actually left my hair down until I had to adjust a laser instead of braiding it into submission like a normal pool day.

Canada Dry Club Soda is in a blue-labeled bottle and is pretty classic. It's carbonated water with mineral salts, and no sugar. It'll go flat, but not rancid. I keep it in the fridge after it's opened because I also like to drink it.

Great to know how well it worked for you and that the condition of your hair was so good after using it. Canada Dry and Schweppes are the same company.

Madame J
May 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Great to know how well it worked for you and that the condition of your hair was so good after using it. Canada Dry and Schweppes are the same company.

That's good to know. Canada Dry is easier for my husband to remember, and I know the label is blue, so he'll get the right thing. I don't drive to work, and he does, so he can more easily get last-minute, forgotten items than I can, and I didn't want to end up with a six-pack of tonic water or something.

ktani
May 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
That's good to know. Canada Dry is easier for my husband to remember, and I know the label is blue, so he'll get the right thing. I don't drive to work, and he does, so he can more easily get last-minute, forgotten items than I can, and I didn't want to end up with a six-pack of tonic water or something.

The company is not important. The ingredients are. Most true club sodas have the same ingredients with only slight differences and the pH would be the same or similar, so no worries if you need to change brands. Just check out the ingredient list and look for sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

The beauty of club soda is that in spite of the baking soda, it is acidic, pre-mixed, no wondering about dilutions, dissolving the baking soda or worrying about open cuticles, dry or tangled hair. It neutralizes chlorine, removes sea water mineral build-up, helps to remove product build-up, is reported to help reduce brassiness for blondes, is cheap and readily available. What is not to like about it?.

ETA: I almost forgot. It is also reported to be a great window cleaner, helps remove stains from clothing and can be used as a "green" cleaner around the house. (http://www.ehow.com/how_5015406_use-club-soda-around-house.html)

Sossity
May 27th, 2009, 01:16 AM
The company is not important. The ingredients are. Most true club sodas have the same ingredients with only slight differences and the pH would be the same or similar, so no worries if you need to change brands. Just check out the ingredient list and look for sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

The beauty of club soda is that in spite of the baking soda, it is acidic, pre-mixed, no wondering about dilutions, dissolving the baking soda or worrying about open cuticles, dry or tangled hair. It neutralizes chlorine, removes sea water mineral build-up, helps to remove product build-up, is reported to help reduce brassiness for blondes, is cheap and readily available. What is not to like about it?.

ETA: I almost forgot. It is also reported to be a great window cleaner, helps remove stains from clothing and can be used as a "green" cleaner around the house. (http://www.ehow.com/how_5015406_use-club-soda-around-house.html)

can I use it diluted with my tap water mixed in a reused water bottle? if I use whole bottles of the club soda straight, I will go through bottles quite rapidly, I have long hair & in the summer I go to the beach/in the ocean almost every day. I dont drive, & dont get out to the store that often so going through alot would be awkward for me.

Heidi_234
May 27th, 2009, 01:46 AM
can I use it diluted with my tap water mixed in a reused water bottle? if I use whole bottles of the club soda straight, I will go through bottles quite rapidly, I have long hair & in the summer I go to the beach/in the ocean almost every day. I dont drive, & dont get out to the store that often so going through alot would be awkward for me.
I think the ingredients are already very diluted. You don't need to use a whole can though, I find that half a cup is enough to saturate my waist/hip hair completely.

LadyEliza
May 27th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Please don't oil hair before getting in a swimming pool unless you own the pool! The owner (and other swimmers) might not be happy if there is any oil floating about, no matter how little.

Flynn
May 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Are you sure it's enough to notice? Humans generate an awful lot of oil...

ktani
May 27th, 2009, 06:03 AM

I agree with Heidi 234, do not dilute it. I think that you will find you need less of it than you think and the unused portion will keep for a while. Just use up an open can or bottle within a reasonable amount of time.

ETA: I just added this to the swimming article and posts.

Some thoughts in conclusion

Oils do not really seal the hair. They are not the best things to have on your hair for pool swimming (contamination of pool water), or the ocean in any significant amounts.

An alternative may be soaking your hair with club soda under a swim cap to help neutralize sea water minerals and chlorine and rinsing the hair with it afterward.

The amount of damage minimizing of coconut oil or coconut and argan oils used as a pretreatment before swimming or club soda, would depend on how wet the hair would get and for how long the hair would be exposed to both sea water and chlorine. Both the club soda and coconut or coconut and argan oils can be used as follow-up treatments. The club soda is a rinse (you can leave it on the hair for a few minutes) and the oils for about an hour or less before rinsing/washing and conditioning.

manderly
May 28th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Are you sure it's enough to notice? Humans generate an awful lot of oil...

Until you've had to clean a pool filter yourself, don't go potentially gunking up someone's pool :D

And yeah, most of it is from body oils and sunscreens, but I wouldn't want to add to that with excess oils :)

I had to clean our pool as one of my chores when I lived at home. That's some nasty business sometimes. There's the big filter, a silica filter, and a teeny tiny filter. The silica needs changing once and a while and that's kind of gross. The itty bitty filter before it hits the pump is where oils and gunk get ookie. Blech.

ktani
May 28th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Until you've had to clean a pool filter yourself, don't go potentially gunking up someone's pool :D

And yeah, most of it is from body oils and sunscreens, but I wouldn't want to add to that with excess oils :)

I had to clean our pool as one of my chores when I lived at home. That's some nasty business sometimes. There's the big filter, a silica filter, and a teeny tiny filter. The silica needs changing once and a while and that's kind of gross. The itty bitty filter before it hits the pump is where oils and gunk get ookie. Blech.

I do not think that most people realize this and it is great to have another reminder of it based on first hand experience (Finoriel "opened my eyes" to this information, when I was initially recommending preoiling before pool swimming). It sounds like a nasty job to have to have done but necessary to have good pool water. The oceans too are polluted enough without extra oil being added to them when it can easily be avoided. Seemingly insignificant amounts of oils and products added to water add up.

marla
May 31st, 2009, 08:31 PM
Many have suggested oiling the hair before going to the beach/pool. I am concerned this would scorch the hair in the hot sun. People used to lie in the sun with baby oil and would burn to a crisp. I think oil in the sun is a bad idea, no?

LadyEliza
May 31st, 2009, 08:35 PM
I think oil in the sun is a bad idea, no?

Yes, I would think so too.

ktani
May 31st, 2009, 09:00 PM
It depends on the oil and the sun exposure. Nothing is going to protect skin and hair if the either is overexposed.

It is about common sense and using sun protection with an oil in the case of coconut oil. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=529716&postcount=780)

Like here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=610927&postcount=13)

ktani
June 11th, 2009, 07:21 PM
More research and an invitation.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=626952&postcount=939

ktani
June 12th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I reworded this post to make it clearer and fixed a link.

More research and an invitation.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=626952&postcount=939