PDA

View Full Version : What kind of coconut oil ???

ladystar
April 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have been looking for coconut oil. I bought one that is very thick and I dont like it that much.
Some of you have said its cooking oil? But I only find it as a conditioner:shrug:. I found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Dabur-Vatika-Coconut-Hair-Oil-Product-from-India_W0QQitemZ320235010320QQihZ011QQcategoryZ9851 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would anyone know if this is any good? Or does anyone have a link were I can buy some on-line? :confused:

The one I have is called Blue Magic.

Thanks everyone!!! :D

Shanarana
April 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I got mine from drugstore.com, been buying from them for a couple years now and can say that it is a safe site to buy from. I bought Nature's Way EfaGold Coconut Oil....and I really like it a lot. Working well for me. Hope that helps.

Curlsgirl
April 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Here's (http://www.beyondprobiotics.net/coconutoil.htm) the kind I bought this time. I LOVE it! I don't know anything about the ebay one you listed except that it is not pure unrefined organic 100% which is what most people use here. You can also use refined if you don't like the coconut smell.

Aisha25
April 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM
The link you put is a good one to use I wish I could get that one but since I can't buy online I get mine at the indian store,Parachute it's the best I think pure and virgin.The one you have in the link Ladystar is just for hair not cooking.Here is another link of it and it tells you what is has in it and how to use it;).
http://www.thejamushop.com/coconut_oil.htm

ladystar
April 8th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Oh thanks everyone =)

getoffmyskittle
April 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
The link you put is a good one to use I wish I could get that one but since I can't buy online I get mine at the indian store,Parachute it's the best I think pure and virgin.

Actually, I use Parachute too and I'm fairly certain it's slutty. :lol: My bottle does say "100% Pure" but I don't think that means much either.

ladystar
April 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM
The link you put is a good one to use I wish I could get that one but since I can't buy online I get mine at the indian store,Parachute it's the best I think pure and virgin.The one you have in the link Ladystar is just for hair not cooking.Here is another link of it and it tells you what is has in it and how to use it;).
http://www.thejamushop.com/coconut_oil.htm

Thanks I just bought it from this site. I will let you know how it worked for me.:D

ChloeDharma
April 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Actually, I use Parachute too and I'm fairly certain it's slutty. :lol: My bottle does say "100% Pure" but I don't think that means much either.

Parachute coconut oil is kinda unrefined.....but unlike virgin coconut oil which is made from fresh coconut meat, it's made from copra....but it's not bleached, deodourised (sp?) etc.....i'd say it's definately better than normal odourless refined coconut oil, but not quite as good as the real virgin stuff....but, to be fair, it's also much cheaper than virgin.

Dabur Vatika Coconut oil is great Ladystar....i love the stuff and it smells lovely too which is always good ;)

ladystar
April 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Parachute coconut oil is kinda unrefined.....but unlike virgin coconut oil which is made from fresh coconut meat, it's made from copra....but it's not bleached, deodourised (sp?) etc.....i'd say it's definately better than normal odourless refined coconut oil, but not quite as good as the real virgin stuff....but, to be fair, it's also much cheaper than virgin.

Dabur Vatika Coconut oil is great Ladystar....i love the stuff and it smells lovely too which is always good ;)

Thanks I can't wait to get it !!! =) :D

ChloeDharma
April 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks I can't wait to get it !!! =) :D

I hope you like it....i tell you what, it makes a lovely body moisturiser too!!

Angellen
April 9th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I use Spectrum Organics Unrefined Coconut Oil, but I was having the hardest time figuring out whether or not they used copra or fresh meat. Here's what their website said under 'FAQs':

"What are the general differences between Spectrum’s refined and unrefined oils?

Spectrum’s refined oils are more neutral in flavor than our unrefined oils and may be used at higher temperatures. Our unrefined oils have a richer color and more robust flavor while retaining more of their nutritional properties.
Both types of oil are expeller pressed. Our refined oils undergo a process of refining, bleaching, deodorizing and winterizing in order to remove gums, non-fatty materials, water soluble pigments and acidic pigments. Our organically refined oils are not winterized, and some refined non-organic oils (Spectrum’s Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, and Avocado Oil) are also processed to remove waxes, styrenes, sterols, and other solids. Spectrum’s unrefined oils have been filtered, but do not undergo the steps listed above.

How is Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil processed?

Fresh coconut when first crushed is a delicate pink color—not the white you might expect. The oil is filtered using earthen clays to naturally bleach out the pink hue. Pressing can generate heat beyond 180 degrees for 5 minutes or longer. Crude coconut oil needs to have its natural enzymes pasteurized and is heated to neutralize them. Otherwise, the oil will rapidly deteriorate."

I'm a little confused as they never say outright that they use fresh coconut, but they sure make it sound like they do. I'd rather use oil from fresh meat than copra. Regardless, I hope those answers helps some.

ChloeDharma
April 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I think your best bet is to e-mail them and ask them outright if their coconut oil is from copra or not. Just out of interest, can i ask why you are very against using oil from copra?

ladystar
April 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I hope you like it....i tell you what, it makes a lovely body moisturiser too!!

Good idea!!!
It takes 9 - 10 days to get here :(

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Good idea!!!
It takes 9 - 10 days to get here :(

Awww don't you just hate waiting for things you are itching to try! This is one reason i tend to stick to actual shops! ;)

ladystar
April 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Awww don't you just hate waiting for things you are itching to try! This is one reason i tend to stick to actual shops! ;)

Yes it I do hate waiting. But I havent been able to find that one anywere. :(

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Yes it I do hate waiting. But I havent been able to find that one anywere. :(

Is there a big Indian community near you? Normaly Indian grocers carry it.

ladystar
April 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Is there a big Indian community near you? Normaly Indian grocers carry it.

No there is not. =(

lookingglass
April 11th, 2008, 03:12 PM
DH and I are Spectrum Oragnic Coconut Oil lovers. We get it in the healthfood section at Kroger grocery. I have tried the regular cooking kind and it smelled really yucky: very processed for high heat.

DH twirls it into his 10 inch goatee in the morning (I make him babyfood jars full scented with a little BPAL, Eden Botanicals Amber, or, my new favorite Coty Wild Musk Oil!).

I melt a bit and mix with conditioner, honey, and aloe for deep treatments. My hair dosen't like just straight up oil on it. For some reason it pulls out the curl and gets stringey and crunchy.

littlemiss
April 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I use this (http://www.tahiti-iti.com/) monoi oils and its devine has vanilla added in Yummy!!(for my hair)

Angellen
April 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I think your best bet is to e-mail them and ask them outright if their coconut oil is from copra or not. Just out of interest, can i ask why you are very against using oil from copra?I'm not 'very against' it by any means, I'd just prefer it fresh. I don't think there's anything wrong with using oil from copra at all, I just like knowing what I'm using.

morningstar
April 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I just bought some virgin coconut oil at the local grocery. Not cheap but...I am in love! My hair doesn't need it but I have been putting it in my daughters dry tailbone length hair and it is working. I slathered it on tonight before I braided them. I use it on my hands and legs, eyes and neck. I really love it. I plan on using it to cook with. Yum.