PDA

View Full Version : Dahlia Hawthorne hair

practikalmagik
May 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I'm making a bit of a request here, I'm dying to learn how to do my hair like Dahlia Hawthorne from the Phoenix Wright:Trials and Tribulations game. For those of you who might not have played it, this is basically what I'm after:

http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/File:Dahlia-OA.gif

Sorry I couldn't find a better picture, the DSA isn't very forgiving like that.

I figured they are some kind of dutch braid from the crown but I can't seem to get it to work. Anyone ever tried?

misstwist
May 25th, 2009, 01:40 PM
That's very cute.

Yes, I would try double dutch braids. Depending on how thick of a iii you are you might even get that much of a raised profile.

When you say you can't seem to get it to work, what kind of results are you getting?

practikalmagik
May 25th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I keep ending up going into actual full dutch braids, with no loose hair. I'm not sure how where to get the hair to make the braid without pulling up the rest into it.

Fethenwen
May 25th, 2009, 01:55 PM
And also, I guess braiding with very small sections in the beginning at the crown and adding more later would give a look that looks more like in the picture.

Edit: oh oh! there is the fairytale braiding method that could give this sort of hairstyle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VtZ2ps-yrg

Gumball
May 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
You could try dutch braids with kind of a lace braid technique where you only add sections, in the case for the style you want, from the inside (i.e. along the center part) and not the outside. Then you can just stop adding sections when you feel you've added enough to keep it more like a half-up.

practikalmagik
May 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah the fairy tale braid (love Torrin's vids) is a bit more flat but it seems a bit easier top get the hair loose at the bottom. Might give that a go when I got some spare time. Thanks :)

Do you all think grabbing hair from in the middle (near the parting) and ignoring the hair 'below' the braid (similar to how one does a full crown braid) might be the way? EDIT: I think that's what Gumball suggested more eloquently.

If i get it to work I'll post pics.

Natalia
May 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I dont know how to do a dutch but maybe a twist would work? It seems like it would be easier to avoid drawing so much hair into the braid. I have no clue what im talking about lol :p

viking_quest
May 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
You can always start off with a dutch braid but then stop adding in more hair and continue braiding it like an english braid. Then it wouldn't end up as two dutch braids.