PDA

View Full Version : Sun Protection for People Who Look Crap in Hats.

RancheroTheBee
May 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I will say first off that I SMT'ed, clarified, I CO and CWC, I tried extra oiling, deep-conditioning, etc. My hair feels extra crispy.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the increased sun. I need sun protection, but I look awful in hats. Are those my only option?

s_tresses
May 25th, 2009, 12:02 AM
How about sunscreen? I am sure there is a thread about this.

It may look weird, but what about umbrellas? Those umbrellas from china (sun umbrellas?) look really cute to me.

kwaniesiam
May 25th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Parasol? ;)

I've been meaning to get one. They basically scream that you don't want a tan or sun damage, but I am more than okay with that :lol:

Bandannas, scarves, etc might work for you too, or even a tighter knit snood.

Madame J
May 25th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Have you looked at the scarf-tying instructions on Tzuinus? There are some pretty cool styles that I wear sometimes. You can also try a Buff, if you're exercising. They make a "high-UV protection" version that I use when I run in the sun now.

mellie
May 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Yes, I was just going to say that too, about scarves. That site is great for cute scarf ideas!

LaurelSpring
May 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I was going to revisit the scarf idea also. There is a great thread on it here.

Firefly
May 25th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I use bandanas. I'll put my hair into a bun/knot at the nape of my neck and bandana the rest.

Lamb
May 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/index.html

They have the cutest snoods and kerchiefs, light cotton, in beautiful prints and monochrome. I am in love with the snoods ("Meg's Snood") and the "Suzanne" items, look for them in the "classic coverings" and "one of a kind" sections.

(They are a Christian home-based company, but I've never received any tracts or any other promotional material from them, ever.)

Leneveu
May 25th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Have you looked at the scarf-tying instructions on Tzuinus? There are some pretty cool styles that I wear sometimes.

Could you post a link to this site? I couldn't find it using google. :)

Bloodflower
May 25th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I am not an outdoor type of person, but when I spent prolonged time outside in the summer I do this:

1. I wear my hair in a tight bun. This way, only the canopy is exposed to sun.

2. I wear sunscreen on my part, if I style my bun with a part.

3. I spray a sun-protection spray on my canopy. I am not too fond of it since it makes my hair feel a bit like plastic but if it prevents UV damage I'll happily use it. Since I use a German brand it won't be helpful if I tell you which, but just so you know those sprays are available.

Furiana
May 25th, 2009, 09:17 AM

They have the cutest snoods and kerchiefs, light cotton, in beautiful prints and monochrome. I am in love with the snoods ("Meg's Snood") and the "Suzanne" items, look for them in the "classic coverings" and "one of a kind" sections.

(They are a Christian home-based company, but I've never received any tracts or any other promotional material from them, ever.)

Oh, those are beautiful! The Suzanne one is so incredibly sweet! :o

I second Tznius (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl). I've worn their styles a thousand times over. :)

RancheroTheBee
May 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Thank you, everybody!

Those coverings are absolutely beautiful. I also like the fact they use classic art on their front page. I might look into that!

Bloodflower: I actually think I can get something like that here. It sounds weird, but we have a lot of German grocery stores, and they carry a lot of beauty supplies. :) Thanks for the tip.

bahannas
May 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I diluted some Neutrogena SPF 30 sunscreen with a bit of water and put it in a spray bottle. Hair only needs about SPF 12, so it was about half-and-half. I like Neutrogena because it's free of harsh chemicals, especially the facial stuff. I also put a few drops of CHI Keratin Mist in it, because UV rays break down keratin fibers in the hair shaft. Works like a charm. :p

Madame J
May 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Could you post a link to this site? I couldn't find it using google. :)

Furiana posted it above -- sorry for the misspelling. It's usually in my bookmarks bar, but Chrome doesn't always show my bookmarks.

marialena
May 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I will say first off that I SMT'ed, clarified, I CO and CWC, I tried extra oiling, deep-conditioning, etc. My hair feels extra crispy.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the increased sun. I need sun protection, but I look awful in hats. Are those my only option?

Sorry for disappointing you .. but yes they are .. Because hats not only protect your hair, but your skin as well ( better than any sunblock) and your shoulders and they protect you from heat as well.

There are some good hair sunblocks but nothing is so good for our beauty as a good hat. ( and I'm sure that if you search a little you will find one to fit you). :)

** 90% of aging and skin or hair damage is caused from sun. :shrug:

spidermom
May 25th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Oh no; how can you live without a hat's brim to keep the sun out of your eyes? There are so many styles; you can't look awful in all of them.

I use an umbrella if a hat won't do (if I need to protect my shoulders, for example). I want to get a parasol, though. That's such a good idea!

I think I'm going shopping now.

gmdiaz
May 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM

There are some really cute snoods and lace bands. I bet the Meg's Snood would make a great sleeping cap!

Xandergrammy
May 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I agree with spidermom. There must be a hat out there somewhere for you. I'm not a hat person, but I can't tolerate any time outside in the summer without one. I'm liking the parasol idea too. I keep an umbrella in my car for sun emergencies. Having been diagnosed with my first skin cancer a few years ago, I have no problem sending out the message that I don't want a tan or sun damage. Too bad I didn't know what I know now 30 or 40 years ago!!

Rini
May 26th, 2009, 01:11 AM
You can NOT beat a parasol for the best sun protection ever! I don't go outdoors (when it's summer) without my parasol. I have two now, one with roses all over it (pictured below) and one pink and black striped with frills (looks quite french!).

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/hair/user4782_pic29831_1232533244.jpg

I keep one in the car and one at home near the front door. I have also noticed more and more women in my area now carrying a parasol. I used to be the only one :o

I also wear sunscreen every day, but in the hot and viscious Australian summers you can never be too careful :D

Flynn
May 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Parasols! XD They're better than hats. More practical than a broad-brimmed hat, and they shade more of you anyway.

Mine is this one (http://www.abitshady.com/images/popups/parasol-contessa-champagne.jpg) from here (http://www.abitshady.com/). I want their Monk one, too.

Aditi
May 26th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I diluted some Neutrogena SPF 30 sunscreen with a bit of water and put it in a spray bottle. Hair only needs about SPF 12, so it was about half-and-half. I like Neutrogena because it's free of harsh chemicals, especially the facial stuff. I also put a few drops of CHI Keratin Mist in it, because UV rays break down keratin fibers in the hair shaft. Works like a charm. :p
Hey that's smart thinking. I don't use Neutrogena but can i use my sunblock for this?

dragonfrog
May 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM

I bought an article of clothing specifically to help keep the sun off of me... I am not too sure what it is called, but here is a link to it on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=14648208. It has long, loose sleeves and a huge hood, so it is not too warm but offers some shade protection. I plan to use it as a pattern to make some more out of a more opaque fabric this summer. I find it convenient because I don't like to carry around a parasol or wide-brimmed hat; also I can wear it while driving to keep the sun off my arms, and the huge sleeves even shade my hands a bit too.
Good luck finding some sun protection that suits you!

Fethenwen
May 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Oh, those are beautiful! The Suzanne one is so incredibly sweet! :o

I second Tznius (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl). I've worn their styles a thousand times over. :)
Oh, I always wondered how to actually wear scarves. This is excellent! And those scarves are so beautiful.

And also parasols! Why didn't I ever think of using those things? Not for just protecting my hair, but I also burn very easily in the sun. I will so invest in one nice looking parasol this summer.

:bunny:

spidermom
May 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Oh my! The prices on those parasols! I can get an umbrella for less than $10; I guess I'll stick with those. They work and it wouldn't break my heart (or the bank) to lose one.

enfys
May 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Oh wow it's great to see so many ways to wear scarves!

I wear them in the summer because hats don't suit me, but I found the most forgiving style of hat ever is the fedora, like Indiana Jones wears. Honestly I look awful in every hat except tem and one vintage veiled monster.

Good job we only have 5 days of sun here annually.

wintersun99
May 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM
another great site for tying scarves in different styles. Scarfworld (http://www.scarfworld.com//scarf_information/how_to_tie_scarves/index.cfm)

ETA: I look like cr*p in hats too. Especially with short hair, but even at shoulder length, I never liked them. Not until I reached APL did I wear Winter hats and liked the look, I've never worn Summer hats. I'm sticking with scarves, I suppose. :)

wintersun99
May 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I bought an article of clothing specifically to help keep the sun off of me... I am not too sure what it is called, but here is a link to it on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=14648208. It has long, loose sleeves and a huge hood, so it is not too warm but offers some shade protection. I plan to use it as a pattern to make some more out of a more opaque fabric this summer. I find it convenient because I don't like to carry around a parasol or wide-brimmed hat; also I can wear it while driving to keep the sun off my arms, and the huge sleeves even shade my hands a bit too.
Good luck finding some sun protection that suits you!

Those hoody things are very cute!

wintersun99
May 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Do you think one could get away with wearing the "grace kelly" scarf style, these days? I've never seen it worn, other than in a movie.

spidermom
May 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
By "could one get away with", what exactly do you mean? I'm sure a mob with pitchforks and lanterns won't gather, but somebody might say something about it - good or bad. People love to give their opinions.

wintersun99
May 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Good point. I mean, would it be viewed as retro-classic and good fashion [by the general public, I suppose] or hopelessly dated out of touch? Put it this way - would it be a thumb up or thum down if I were to run into Stacy and Clinton from WNTW? [big cheesy grin] :D

In my city, pretty much anything goes... so it's more of a curiosity question...

CinnamonCurls
May 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
You can NOT beat a parasol for the best sun protection ever! I don't go outdoors (when it's summer) without my parasol. I have two now, one with roses all over it (pictured below) and one pink and black striped with frills (looks quite french!).

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/hair/user4782_pic29831_1232533244.jpg

I keep one in the car and one at home near the front door. I have also noticed more and more women in my area now carrying a parasol. I used to be the only one :o
Rini! You are so gorgeous and feminine!! I just miss the days of old and such....You must be my sort of double in life! I am not seen hardly anywhere without wearing one of my Gunnies and a parasol. I have SOOO many of each, even some authentic Chinese ones (umbrellas really) since all of the girls there are really concerned about being fair and not darker skinned. I am trying to talk myself into a brattenburg lace one, but half my gunnie skirts/dresses have ivory trim, half white, so what do I do??

Here is my fave links for parasols...
http://www.ladiesemporium.com/store/ladies_victorian_parasols.php?from=leftnav&__utma=1.3608680573240264700.1243374231.1243374231 .1243374231.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1243374231&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1243374231.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(di rect)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=223755291

http://www.lunabazaar.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=220&OVRAW=parasol&OVKEY=parasol&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=3308133522&OVKWID=33848566022

http://www.greatlookz.com/c=1eOTuAuf1sF34EEq5O0xF6R4i/category/parosols/

http://www.greatparasolz.com/?OVRAW=parasol&OVKEY=parasol&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=1279822013&OVKWID=19242892513

UV proof ones (you'll find much of regular clothing/fabrics do block UV, this just does TONS
http://www.uvsungear.com/slc101.html

http://www.lartisana.com/lace-parasols-c-81.html

Enjoy the links my fabulous sun-less beauties!

spidermom
May 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
A lot of the parasols look more ornamental than functional - like the lace ones.

mira-chan
May 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Oh my! The prices on those parasols! I can get an umbrella for less than $10; I guess I'll stick with those. They work and it wouldn't break my heart (or the bank) to lose one.
Those are expensive.
I have two Japanese UV protective umbrellas (parasols), they generally cost around $30. Which is not too much as my regular umbrella cost the same and has lasted me a good 3 years already with the local umbrella destroying weather. My first parasol I've had for 4 years already, still functions perfectly fine.

These are like the ones I have. (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=apparel&field-brandtextbin=Paradise)

spidermom
May 26th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Those are expensive.
I have two Japanese UV protective umbrellas (parasols), they generally cost around $30. Which is not too much as my regular umbrella cost the same and has lasted me a good 3 years already with the local umbrella destroying weather. My first parasol I've had for 4 years already, still functions perfectly fine.

These are like the ones I have. (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=apparel&field-brandtextbin=Paradise)

Ooooooooooh, pretty. Are you trying to enable?

CinnamonCurls
May 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have two Japanese UV protective umbrellas (parasols), they generally cost around $30.

Wow, that's expensive. Mine a friend got for me while she was living in China for 3 years. I thought they might be $$$ too, or take up lots of room in her suitcase. I expected her to only get me one for all the above reasons, and she bought quite a few, since she says each one cost below $3, and they all came with their own cases/bags, etc...she went to the store expecting to pay more, and when she saw the prices, she grabbed a few...so sweet.

Flynn
May 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Wow, that's expensive. Mine a friend got for me while she was living in China for 3 years. I thought they might be $$$ too, or take up lots of room in her suitcase. I expected her to only get me one for all the above reasons, and she bought quite a few, since she says each one cost below $3, and they all came with their own cases/bags, etc...she went to the store expecting to pay more, and when she saw the prices, she grabbed a few...so sweet.
The reason the Japanese ones were $30 is likely to be that they are properly treated to be guaranteed UV protective. A normal brolly or parasol will help a lot, but not as much as the ones she got.

Flynn
May 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM

The ones I posted up are expensive because they're all handmade by a lovely lady in the north of New South Wales (I believe...) They are gorgeous! Also, you need to approximately halve the prices, as they're in Australian dollars, not US dollars.

mira-chan
May 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Ooooooooooh, pretty. Are you trying to enable?
Maaaybe... :whistle:

The reason the Japanese ones were $30 is likely to be that they are properly treated to be guaranteed UV protective. A normal brolly or parasol will help a lot, but not as much as the ones she got.
Hello fellow mad scientist! :waving:

Yes they are properly treated, labeled as UVA/UVB protection, and quite strong. They also fold up fully like a regular umbrella does for easier storage. Most parasols here don't do that. One of the parasols I have is waterproof so will act like a regular umbrella too, the other one doesn't.

My view on the expense may be a bit off compared to some considering where I live.

Flynn
May 26th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Maaaybe... :whistle:

Hello fellow mad scientist! :waving:

Yes they are properly treated, labeled as UVA/UVB protection, and quite strong. They also fold up fully like a regular umbrella does for easier storage. Most parasols here don't do that. One of the parasols I have is waterproof so will act like a regular umbrella too, the other one doesn't.

My view on the expense may be a bit off compared to some considering where I live.

Hello ^__^ :waving:

My parasol isn't UV treated, but that's what sunscreen's for, isn't it? It's at least as good as a normal hat.

I like mine because it doesn't fold away and disappear! I love carrying it around closed as an accessory ^__^

mira-chan
May 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hello ^__^ :waving:

My parasol isn't UV treated, but that's what sunscreen's for, isn't it? It's at least as good as a normal hat.

I like mine because it doesn't fold away and disappear! I love carrying it around closed as an accessory ^__^
It is what sunscreen is for if you are not sensitive to 95% of the sunscreens of the market. Silicones make me itch and try to find a reasonably priced sunscreen without it. :( I did find some sunscreen but it's not the best texture and re-applying isn't always feasible. The parasol and covering up with clothing is mostly my protection.

I like the foldaway because I'm absentminded and will let go of it accidentally, thus loosing it. Yes, I've done that to stuff. :rolleyes: I don't trust myself to hold anything in my hand for long.

bahannas
May 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hey that's smart thinking. I don't use Neutrogena but can i use my sunblock for this?

I'm sure that would work just as well! Maybe better, actually, as the UV rays would actually be blocked rather than screened. :)

Rini
May 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Rini! You are so gorgeous and feminine!! I just miss the days of old and such....You must be my sort of double in life! I am not seen hardly anywhere without wearing one of my Gunnies and a parasol. I have SOOO many of each, even some authentic Chinese ones (umbrellas really) since all of the girls there are really concerned about being fair and not darker skinned. I am trying to talk myself into a brattenburg lace one, but half my gunnie skirts/dresses have ivory trim, half white, so what do I do??

Hi Cinnamon Curls :waving: Thanks I think we must be twins (although I lack your stunning hair! hehe). Thank you for the links, I did enjoy the Ladies Emporium and thought it was funny how it referred to their merchandise as "Victorian Costumes"....I dress like that every day! :o I own many many Gunnies (some I have photographed and put in my profile album) and now that it is winter here I'm all about looooong skirts, boots and corset belts :inlove:

But back to topic! I think the decorative ones are just so lovely with the lace and cut-outs, but one would need to be careful to ensure a full coverage of sunscreen as those prettier ones don't offer protection as well.

Flynn, one of my parasols has "UV coating" on the fabric and it cost me AU$50. To be honest, I think my other parasol (pictured with the roses) offers better protection (it's bigger and seems "darker" when you're under it) and it is really just a waterproof umbrella. So I think a normal umbrella would be fine :D

feralnature
May 26th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I love how you dress, Rini! Lovely and inspirational, we all wish we could look so glorious!

And now I must have parasols! :)

Flynn
May 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM
It is what sunscreen is for if you are not sensitive to 95% of the sunscreens of the market. Silicones make me itch and try to find a reasonably priced sunscreen without it. :( I did find some sunscreen but it's not the best texture and re-applying isn't always feasible. The parasol and covering up with clothing is mostly my protection.

I like the foldaway because I'm absentminded and will let go of it accidentally, thus loosing it. Yes, I've done that to stuff. :rolleyes: I don't trust myself to hold anything in my hand for long.

Yeah, I know about that one. Mum can't use any, and I can only use a couple (there's one I've not been having problems with that's called Invisible Zinc. The UV absorbing component ZnO rather than some freaky organic, and it doesn't seem to have most of the other nasties (stabilisers, preservatives, etc) that most chemical sunscreens do... Don't know about siloxanes, though. Mum can't use it, but I haven't had any problems.

My parasol has a hooked end which has precisely the right inner radius to go over my arm ^__^

Also... I tend to lose small things, so big is better ^^;;;

Flynn
May 27th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Flynn, one of my parasols has "UV coating" on the fabric and it cost me AU$50. To be honest, I think my other parasol (pictured with the roses) offers better protection (it's bigger and seems "darker" when you're under it) and it is really just a waterproof umbrella. So I think a normal umbrella would be fine :D

Be careful, though, as some things will block visible and IR light (heat) very well, but won't be so good with the UV part of the spectrum. Things aren't equally opaque at all wavelengths...

Still, protection from the heat is very important, too!

rags
May 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Curse you all! Now I have just put a lovely parasol in my cart! :D Enablers!!:p

Flynn
May 27th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Hurrah! That's a good sort of enabling, though. It's not an accessory, it's an essential health item! XD

Edit Which one? From where?

LadyEliza
May 27th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Extra oiling and then going out in the sun?

If you rubbed oil on your skin and went into the sun, what would happen? You would be extra crispy!

:)

You can get products for the hair with sunscreen in them. But for the sake of your total health "slip, slop, slap - slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat"

Looking crap is a matter of opinion, skin cancer isn't.

Flynn
May 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Extra oiling and then going out in the sun?

You can get products for the hair with sunscreen in them. But for the sake of your total health "slip, slop, slap - slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat"

Looking crap is a matter of opinion, skin cancer isn't.

XD I know what country you're from....

Aditi
May 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I'm sure that would work just as well! Maybe better, actually, as the UV rays would actually be blocked rather than screened. :)
Thanks, can you tell me the exact proportion of diluting sunscreen in water? I don't want to do any sort of blunder :crazy: in my way of dilution :D.

mira-chan
May 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I know about that one. Mum can't use any, and I can only use a couple (there's one I've not been having problems with that's called Invisible Zinc. The UV absorbing component ZnO rather than some freaky organic, and it doesn't seem to have most of the other nasties (stabilisers, preservatives, etc) that most chemical sunscreens do... Don't know about siloxanes, though. Mum can't use it, but I haven't had any problems.

My parasol has a hooked end which has precisely the right inner radius to go over my arm ^__^

Also... I tend to lose small things, so big is better ^^;;;
I've lost a large snow shovel once... I'm hopeless. :silly:

We don't have the Invisible Zinc here. I have Zinc Oxide powder and Titanium dioxide powder. I'd use it like mineral make up but the powder makes me itch too. :mad: I have dry skin so it doesn't stick so well either.

As for silicones, I started developing multiple chemical sensitivities after a chemical burn so that was one of them. I essentially stick to vegan products for skin as so far they have been ok.

XD I know what country you're from....
Now I'm from the opposite spectrum, Northern Russia, where they tell you to go out in the sun for any illness, especially skin problems. Lacking vitamin D and all due to the cold months. The sun is quite weak there comparatively to where I am now.

rags
May 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-302E-Kylin-Anti-UV-Umbrella/dp/B001SW85LK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1243447592&sr=1-2

Sorry, I suck at doing links!. I think it's from the ones Mira-chan linked to.

I usually just wear a big floppy hat, but I had to have this!

mira-chan
May 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-302E-Kylin-Anti-UV-Umbrella/dp/B001SW85LK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1243447592&sr=1-2

Sorry, I suck at doing links!. I think it's from the ones Mira-chan linked to.

I usually just wear a big floppy hat, but I had to have this!
Yup, it's one them. Pretty! :)

Merewen
May 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Noooooooo, I have no more hair-stuff cash, and here I am drooling over parasols and headscarves!
I look lousy in hats as well.
I'm kind of a trend-setter with the hairsticks, why not parasols as well? ;)