PDA

View Full Version : best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

Sossity
May 24th, 2009, 11:51 PM
what is the best thing to do with hair after being in a swimming pool or in the ocean, summer is approaching & I frequent both, I usually as soon as I can I get into a shower & rinse my hair off.

suffer-cait
May 25th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Any time I know I'm about to miss treat my hair a bit, I spoil it before, and ASAP afterwards. It seems to work well as far as I can tell.

EllisGurl
May 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I'm watching this thread because I'd like to know too. My DH just bought a pool for when his girls are here. I've worked too hard on my hair to let it be ruined by chlorine.

Madame J
May 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM
There are two articles about hair and swimming in the Hair Care section of Articles. One is about protecting hair from chlorine, and the other talks about neutralizing and removing chlorine from hair without using a harsh shampoo.

I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of club soda. I didn't even wash my hair after (or condition or anything) so I could see how it worked, and I was pleasantly surprised. Would maybe add just a touch of oil on the ends in the future.

EllisGurl
May 26th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Sossity, I only found one out of the two Madame J mentioned (although I have not searched the archives yet). Here it is (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=42p://).

I'm still interested to know if there are any avid swimmers out there that have a favorite chelating shampoo.

ktani
May 26th, 2009, 06:35 AM
There are two articles about hair and swimming in the Hair Care section of Articles. One is about protecting hair from chlorine, and the other talks about neutralizing and removing chlorine from hair without using a harsh shampoo.

I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of club soda. I didn't even wash my hair after (or condition or anything) so I could see how it worked, and I was pleasantly surprised. Would maybe add just a touch of oil on the ends in the future.

I am pleased that it worked for you. How did the club soda affect the condition of your hair?

I suggest in the Article that the oils (coconut and argan) can be used after the club soda to condition and chelate mineral salts (copper and iron) even more.

Sossity
May 27th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I am pleased that it worked for you. How did the club soda affect the condition of your hair?

I suggest in the Article that the oils (coconut and argan) can be used after the club soda to condition and chelate mineral salts (copper and iron) even more.

what if ones hair is already wet from the ocean? will this protect from chlorine?

LadyEliza
May 27th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Before you go swimming soak your hair in clean water, whatever you shower in is fine. Hair will soak up chemicals from the water (or salt) but it can only absorb so much. Once it's saturated it won't absorb more - so saturate first.

Flynn
May 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Before you go swimming soak your hair in clean water, whatever you shower in is fine. Hair will soak up chemicals from the water (or salt) but it can only absorb so much. Once it's saturated it won't absorb more - so saturate first.
And maybe seal with oil?

I'm not convinced that just soaking will make a difference. Osmosis and diffusion have got to come into play.

ktani
May 27th, 2009, 06:06 AM
And maybe seal with oil?

I'm not convinced that just soaking will make a difference. Osmosis and diffusion have got to come into play.

Oils do not really seal the hair. They are not the best things to have on your hair for pool swimming (contamination of pool water), or the ocean in any significant amounts.

An alternative may be soaking your hair with club soda under a swim cap to help neutralize sea water minerals and chlorine and rinsing the hair with it afterward.

The amount of damage minimizing of coconut oil or coconut and argan oils used as a pretreatment before swimming or club soda, would depend on how wet the hair would get and for how long the hair would be exposed to both sea water and chlorine. Both the club soda and coconut or coconut and argan oils can be used as follow-up treatments. The club soda is a rinse (you can leave it on the hair for a few minutes) and the oils for about an hour or less before rinsing/washing and conditioning.

sandigirl
May 27th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I am in the water/pool/ocean a lot. I NEVER have any problems with my hair especially when I rinse very well right after getting out.

rags
May 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
But what do you do when you are getting ready, as I am, to go to the beach and you spend around 6 hrs at a time there? I will be in and out of the water, so it's not like I can shower when I get out. It's more like - spend the day at the beach. Some lounging, some swimming, alternate back and forth. We'll be down there for a week.

Should I carry club soda with me and try to rinse every time I get out? I can't braid my hair either (massive tangles if I braid and then swim) - but I am taking my aquapearls and will stick it up when I'm not actually in the water to protect it from the breeze.

spidermom
May 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I always wet my hair first, apply conditioner, then braid as snugly as possible before swimming/sunning. The I'd CO after (CWC about twice a week). Nice side effect - the conditioner made my hands really soft.

Carolyn
May 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
What I do is wet my hair down first. I use just regular tap water. Then I use EVOO or a similar oil. When I've been at the beach I usually braid it. Sometimes I put it braid up into a bun with plastic or metal hair sticks. If I get my hair socked in sea water I rinse with some water I've brought along for that purpose. It could be tap water or distilled water. When I leave the beach/pool I do a CO or CWC right away. The wind is as bad on my hair as the pool/sea water.

ktani
May 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
But what do you do when you are getting ready, as I am, to go to the beach and you spend around 6 hrs at a time there? I will be in and out of the water, so it's not like I can shower when I get out. It's more like - spend the day at the beach. Some lounging, some swimming, alternate back and forth. We'll be down there for a week.

Should I carry club soda with me and try to rinse every time I get out? I can't braid my hair either (massive tangles if I braid and then swim) - but I am taking my aquapearls and will stick it up when I'm not actually in the water to protect it from the breeze.

You can rinse your hair with the club after each swim if there is going to be say a few hours in between swims. It is a good idea to rinse your hair after each swim regardless, to help prevent the salt and minerals making your hair stiff.

"Salt is hygroscopic .... it absorbs water from the air. This water dissolves the salt .... the resulting salt water combines with the remaining salt, cementing the grains together into a solid mass." (http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/table_salt.html)

plainjanegirl
May 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I always wet my hair first, apply conditioner, then braid as snugly as possible before swimming/sunning. The I'd CO after (CWC about twice a week). Nice side effect - the conditioner made my hands really soft.

Would this help even if you are not swimming but just out in the sun?
I am gonna have to find something to help cause I have been outside more with the kids in the sun and I can tell my hair feels more dry, especially my ends which I am always babying.

Carolyn
May 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I am gonna have to find something to help cause I have been outside more with the kids in the sun and I can tell my hair feels more dry, especially my ends which I am always babying.Not Spidermom here but what I do if I'm doing yard work or attending an outdoor event I've oiled my hair and then covered in a bandana and then a sun hat. It's a mini hot oil treatment. I only do that when I know I can take a shower right after I'm done being outside.

ktani
May 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I am gonna have to find something to help cause I have been outside more with the kids in the sun and I can tell my hair feels more dry, especially my ends which I am always babying.

I think that coconut oil can possibly help protect the hair against sun damage but not replace covering up or the use of a sunscreen/sunblock. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=529716&postcount=780)

Sossity
May 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
You can rinse your hair with the club after each swim if there is going to be say a few hours in between swims. It is a good idea to rinse your hair after each swim regardless, to help prevent the salt and minerals making your hair stiff.

"Salt is hygroscopic .... it absorbs water from the air. This water dissolves the salt .... the resulting salt water combines with the remaining salt, cementing the grains together into a solid mass." (http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/table_salt.html)

wouldent just a clairfiying shampoo work for pool & ocean? I have some giovanni hydrating clairifying shampoo, of which I could use onece per week for my hair washes, & rinse with water after every ocean or pool day.

ktani
May 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
wouldent just a clairfiying shampoo work for pool & ocean? I have some giovanni hydrating clairifying shampoo, of which I could use onece per week for my hair washes, & rinse with water after every ocean or pool day.

You want to neutralize the chorine. I suggest trying the club soda and then the coconut oil or coconut and argan oils to further chelate and condition the hair but see what works best for you.

LittleOrca
May 29th, 2009, 12:38 AM
What I do for swimming is this routine:

Ion's Swimmer shampoo, Ion's swimmer conditioner, regular conditioner soak for 5 minutes (sometimes Pantene or Herbal Essence [which ever I am trying to use up the last bits of]), coconut serum on the ends, air/blow dry (depending on how cold it is), comb. Then wash with Ion clarifying shampoo and a conditioner soak the next night again before slipping back into regular routine. Recently, I have found I can skip the Ion clarifying shampoo and go right back into my Nexxus-based routine and my hair responds a bit better than before.

I am sure anyone can modify it to fix their personal product preferences, but this keeps my hair soft, clean, and silky.