PDA

View Full Version : Classic and Longer Curly Girl?

Snowymoon
March 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Anyone here with classic or longer hair still doing the Curly Girl method of hair care? Have you modified the routine, and if so, how?

I am approaching classic. Sometimes I like to leave conditioner in, sometimes I don't. I never use gel anymore. When I do leave conditioner in, I rinse it to thin it down. I have also put a small amount in over sopping-wet hair. I still plop.

I don't find wetting my hair down daily to be okay anymore, as my hair is wet for 6 to 8 hours. :bigeyes: Although, when my hair is craving moisture, I will do it. My hair seems to do better when I wet it down daily, but oy...being wet for so many hours a day. :tmi:

Shell
March 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Anyone here with classic or longer hair still doing the Curly Girl method of hair care? Have you modified the routine, and if so, how?

I am approaching classic. Sometimes I like to leave conditioner in, sometimes I don't. I never use gel anymore. When I do leave conditioner in, I rinse it to thin it down. I have also put a small amount in over sopping-wet hair. I still plop.

I don't find wetting my hair down daily to be okay anymore, as my hair is wet for 6 to 8 hours. :bigeyes: Although, when my hair is craving moisture, I will do it. My hair seems to do better when I wet it down daily, but oy...being wet for so many hours a day. :tmi:

Snowy, I'm not exactly a curly (2c with a few bits of 3a), but what I do may help you. I don't use gel, because I don't wash or completely wet daily. Instead, I shower with my hair clipped in a ficcare, then I let it down while still in the shower and run my hands through my hair, over the scalp hairs and all over, repeatedly until it's about 25% damp. Then I wet under the shower stream the last 4-6 inches of my hair and apply conditioner to those saturated ends. Then I finger comb a bit of conditioner through the already dampened rest of my hair (the residual from my hands is enough). Then I rinse the ends, and use cold water to rinse them.

From there I scrunch and blot (however you do your wet hair is good) and let air dry. I find that my curls are just about as good as on wash day, maybe better because they are able to dry quicker and so are less likely to get handled.

For the record, I could never really do CG because my scalp hates conditioner, so I've always modified. I don't see that I'll change this method as I'm getting past classic, as I do enjoy curls and my hair loves the extra moisture. I do this on days I plan on wearing it up too, and sometimes even damp bun.

darkwaves
March 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Shell -- thanks for this info on your routine. I'm far from classic, but close to waist, and would like to be able to quickly bring back daily curls. This sounds good!

Shell
March 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Shell -- thanks for this info on your routine. I'm far from classic, but close to waist, and would like to be able to quickly bring back daily curls. This sounds good!

Oh good, let us know if it works for you. My hair only takes 30-60 minutes or so to dry, so it's great for everyday.

Rain
March 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
My hair isn't back to classic yet but when I had it, I found the CG thing to be too much of a hassle. When I CO wash exclusively, I have to do it just about every day or my scalp gets too funky. I don't want to deal with wet hair that often. So I was CWC'ing with mild shampoo. I also was not wearing my hair down very often at all. When it's that long, I wear it down the day I wash it (I'm at this point now, at tailbone) and up the rest of the time. So I'm not too concerned with reviving second-day curls.

When I wash my hair, I use leave-in and put it up under a towel turban while I do makeup and get dressed. When I take it down, it's nowhere near soaking wet because the towel has absorbed a lot of water. That's when I apply gel. My hair is drying for the rest of the morning, usually. I'm only washing my hair a couple of times a week right now. I'll probably have to wash it more often when the weather turns hot. Blah.

galadriel
March 9th, 2008, 05:09 PM
My hair is classic length and before going CG I was a 2C but now I have 3A, hopefully come summer and humid weather my hair will be even more curly. I use Devacurl or Devacare no poo twice a week on my scalp and follow with one conditioner. Because I work out ever morning, on days I don't wash my scalp I rinse my hair with one conditioner. I scrunch in some more one conditioner with Jessicurl RR and Deva Angell. Sometimes I use Boots curling cream with jessicurl RR with also good results. For about 3 years I use to wash my hair once a week and didn't wet my hair between shampoos...my hair was much drier and I had tangle issues. Every long hair has a different routine that works for them. I think it's a matter of changing routines until you find the one that works on your hair. I followed my old routine of washing only once a week for years even though my hair didn't seem to be at it's best because everyone else seemed to have great results. I wish I had tried changing my routine sooner.

Stacy_E
March 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Shell, thanks for sharing your routine for non-wash days for reviving your curls. I'm only almost to BSL myself, but growing to waist and I like your ideas for not wetting your entire head. Sounds good!

zift
March 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Hello Snowymoon:) ,
I'm a past classic 2c wurly too like Shell. Last year for a period of time I have to wash my hair everyday to clean it. I wet my hair thoroughly in the shower and did only CO. And than immediately braid when wet,and I spent the next day with the wet braid and than shower at night again. I only did CWC in the weekend if I had time.Sounds horrible but my hair was shiny and well moisturized back than, it loved the routine.
But ofcourse I couldn't live with wet hair all the time and once my situation(more of a work one) passed I went back to my old routine. Here's how I do now. I wash with CWC method twice a week and in between make conditioner only washes. And I don't hesitate in wetting my hair , whenever there's wind drying my hair, or hot weather or a loose hair day or something I don't like about my hair I thoroughly wet it and CO. Sometimes I get bored of buns and wear my hair down for a while. Those days I wet everyday and CO. And also use a cone leave in conditioner afterwards.
If I want curls than I pillow plop. And if I want somewhat less wavy hair I braid it damp.
Your hair's lovely Snowy,hope you'll find a nice routine to keep you satisfied at longer lengths.:)

RedButterfly
March 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi Snowy,
This thread actually helped me, even though I'm only waist length now. I'm trying to give up gel and just use leave-in conditioner. Many of the responses to your question have given me some helpful ideas to make it work. :)

Starr
March 31st, 2008, 12:15 AM
Bumping for more reponse. . .

Hopefully.

wonderlywroughte
April 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
I can't handle my hair being wet for that long either. I haven't done the CG method in forever though, because my fussy scalp likes EXPENSIVE conditioner to be washed with. So I'm just doing your basic S&C. I am still using gel, though, because my curls hold up better that way!

Shell, I like the sound of your method! I may have to give it a try too! :D

Shell
April 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Shell, I like the sound of your method! I may have to give it a try too! :D

It's great because it really allows you to get moisture back into your hair everyday. I really need that on my dry ends.

Ursula
April 2nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Snowy, I'm not exactly a curly (2c with a few bits of 3a), but what I do may help you. I don't use gel, because I don't wash or completely wet daily. Instead, I shower with my hair clipped in a ficcare, then I let it down while still in the shower and run my hands through my hair, over the scalp hairs and all over, repeatedly until it's about 25% damp. Then I wet under the shower stream the last 4-6 inches of my hair and apply conditioner to those saturated ends. Then I finger comb a bit of conditioner through the already dampened rest of my hair (the residual from my hands is enough). Then I rinse the ends, and use cold water to rinse them.

From there I scrunch and blot (however you do your wet hair is good) and let air dry. I find that my curls are just about as good as on wash day, maybe better because they are able to dry quicker and so are less likely to get handled.

For the record, I could never really do CG because my scalp hates conditioner, so I've always modified. I don't see that I'll change this method as I'm getting past classic, as I do enjoy curls and my hair loves the extra moisture. I do this on days I plan on wearing it up too, and sometimes even damp bun.

Wow. This sounds lovely, and my length and ends seem to want water and conditioner far more often than my scalp wants cleaning. Plus, the shower at my apartment is installed low, so that the water hits me at shoulder level anyway, and I have to bend over a bit to wash my hair.

This does need a good name though - anyone like "Shell's Water Scrunching method"? I don't think "SWS" means anything else around here, yet... But we should all be good and write it out in full, rather than starting off right away with Yet Another Acronym. (YAA) :silly:

Shell
April 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Wow. This sounds lovely, and my length and ends seem to want water and conditioner far more often than my scalp wants cleaning. Plus, the shower at my apartment is installed low, so that the water hits me at shoulder level anyway, and I have to bend over a bit to wash my hair.

This does need a good name though - anyone like "Shell's Water Scrunching method"? I don't think "SWS" means anything else around here, yet... But we should all be good and write it out in full, rather than starting off right away with Yet Another Acronym. (YAA) :silly:

Oooo, something named after me! It's not as good as a hair toy though....

I hope it works for you--it really works wonders for my hair.

Ursula
April 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Okay, I tried Shell's water scrunching(SWS) method this morning. In front of the bathroom sink, rather than in the shower, since it isn't a day that I shower.

Wow.

My hair took an awful lot of water, and the ends soaked up quite a bit of conditioner. Yet the length was almost completely dry an hour later, and the ends were damp, but content to dry tucked into my bun. I took down my bun a few minutes ago to check on the ends, and they had dried, but were wonderfully soft, and shiny.

Curlsgirl
April 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Ooooooooooo I am going to try SWM too! :cheese:

Snowymoon
April 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Shell, are you using a leave-in after your full wash? :)

Shell
April 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Shell, are you using a leave-in after your full wash? :)

When I'm not too lazy, or I don't forget, I often use my regular conditioner as a leave in. Most leave ins have cones or protein, neither of which my hair likes. I sometimes use Curl Junkie's Curl Enhancer (on wet hair), or my pomade or coconut oil mix when it's still just a tiny bit damp.

Snowymoon
November 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Bumping to hopefully revive this old thread. :o

ETA: Do we need a social group for this topic? :)

Ursula
November 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
I'm curious Snowy - did you ever try Shell's trick?

Also, have you tried washing your hair and then wearing it in a snood to dry? It leaves it sort of loose, so it drys faster than in a bun, and it supports the length of the hair so that curls hold a bit. Might make a difference in your case.

I don't know about a social group - I never remember to look at them.

Snowymoon
November 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
No, I have not tried Shell's trick. The main reason I have not is because I have no idea how I would use any bit of a leave-in with that method (I still use my washing conditioner as a leave-in). I am worried about too much conditioner getting into the parts I don't rinse and/or too little conditioner for the overall length.

Kittee
November 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hmm I am going to give this a try =)

Curlsgirl
November 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
I was wondering about this and if when you clip your hair up in the shower if you then just let a little water get in the updo or stand directly under the shower or what? Probably a stupid question. I guess I mean do you get the scalp wet at all?

Edited: I reread Shell's method and I think I understand it now. I am going to try it next time when my scalp doesn't need washing but my curls needs reviving.

Snowymoon
November 25th, 2008, 06:23 AM
CG, I have not tried her trick, but it sounds like she just stands in the shower and does not let the water run over her up-do. It sounds like she takes her hair down, back away from the water, and then runs her damp hands through her hair to get it about 25% damp. Ursula did the same but outside of the shower by doing the process at the sink instead. Hope that helps.

Curlsgirl
November 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM
CG, I have not tried her trick, but it sounds like she just stands in the shower and does not let the water run over her up-do. It sounds like she takes her hair down, back away from the water, and then runs her damp hands through her hair to get it about 25% damp. Ursula did the same but outside of the shower by doing the process at the sink instead. Hope that helps.

Yes it does! Actually I tried this last night. It didn't do all that well for me. It helped but my hair really just does not like plain water. That's probably why. Could also be because I have hard water. Oh and I didn't add conditioner so I will try that next time too. I was afraid it would make my hair too limp.

Anne~
November 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Here is what I do if I want my curly look more than one day.

After I wash my hair I use a leave in conditioner and a little frizz serum and comb, (Yes I know it has cones but look at my hair, does it look like it hates it? Noooo). Then I put mousse in to control the curl and let it dry natural, while drying I fluff it a bit. At night I just braid. The next day I spray a bit of water on it to regenerate it and if I want more curl in the flat parts I use a bit of mousse just on them and fluff. If my ends look a bit dry I put Jojoba oil on them or where ever I want it that also controls any stray frizz.

I can get away with this for at least 3 days before I feel the need to wash it, I never comb it during all this I only comb my hair after a wash and condition .

Generally I do not wear my hair like this very often; I find it to be a pain in the butt at this length even though it looks cool.

http://www.sullyswebdesigns.com/pics/curls.jpg

Curlsgirl
November 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
OMG Anne your hair is just drop dead gorgeous!!! :thud: You are my new hair idol!!!! Well, another one!!! :D

Anne~
November 25th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks curls girl. Not to bad for a fat chick eh? LMAO! Thank the Lord it is my back side! :rolleyes:

Snowymoon
November 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Beautiful!! :thud:

Are you CO washing or do you use shampoo, may I ask? :)

Anne~
November 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Snowymoon, I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisterizing Shampoo and Conditioner. Then Giovanni Direct Leavin Conditioner. Comb,braid and go to bed. Then in the morning (if my hair is dry :rolleyes:) I use a bit Jojoba oil, bun and put sticks in. I usually only wash once a week unless I smell like the barn.

Sherri
November 25th, 2008, 08:05 AM

After I wash my hair I use a leave in conditioner and a little frizz serum and comb, (Yes I know it has cones but look at my hair, does it look like it hates it? Noooo). Then I put mousse in to control the curl and let it dry natural, while drying I fluff it a bit. At night I just braid. The next day I spray a bit of water on it to regenerate it and if I want more curl in the flat parts I use a bit of mousse just on them and fluff. If my ends look a bit dry I put Jojoba oil on them or where ever I want it that also controls any stray frizz.

I can get away with this for at least 3 days before I feel the need to wash it, I never comb it during all this I only comb my hair after a wash and condition .

Generally I do not wear my hair like this very often; I find it to be a pain in the butt at this length even though it looks cool.

Wow you have my dream hair:thud:

Anne~
November 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Wow you have my dream hair:thud:

Hello Sherri, Thanks but I would not wish my hair on anyone. It is very far from a dream or maybe a bad one. When I was growing up with this hair my father always cut it into a boys hair cut. I was a walking burr head. All through school, dates were out! After all Ferrah Fawcett was in. LOL

My best advise "leave it a lone, the less you mess with curly hair the better it looks!" ;)

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Oh long curly hair must be one of the most beautiful hair in my opinion..

SearMeCarefully
December 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM

I'm approaching classic as well (soo sloowly!) I'm inbetween TB and Classic I'd say. I'm a wurly 2c/3a so you can take that into account. I pretty much follow CG. I wash with devacurl creamy cleanser stuff once a week (i loove the smell and feel of my scalp after) and CO any other time I wash. I too hate wetting my hair everyday because it stays wet for so long, specially in the winter - not fun. I use hair product sometimes, not as much as I used to.. when I want my hair to look good I do lol. I only leave in conditioner when I feel I need it, and I clarify prob 3 times a year

Curlsgirl
December 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm approaching classic as well (soo sloowly!) I'm inbetween TB and Classic I'd say. I'm a wurly 2c/3a so you can take that into account. I pretty much follow CG. I wash with devacurl creamy cleanser stuff once a week (i loove the smell and feel of my scalp after) and CO any other time I wash. I too hate wetting my hair everyday because it stays wet for so long, specially in the winter - not fun. I use hair product sometimes, not as much as I used to.. when I want my hair to look good I do lol. I only leave in conditioner when I feel I need it, and I clarify prob 3 times a year

HI SMC! Good to see you! Oooooooooo you're getting so long!!!

plainjanegirl
December 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Wow!! That is some stunning hair. I mean that is what girls will pay big bucks for to try and get their hair to look like that with perms, etc. I am in awe. If only my hair were not on the straight side....my lil sis got the curly hair.

SearMeCarefully
December 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM
HI SMC! Good to see you! Oooooooooo you're getting so long!!!

Lol it's getting there! I feel like I've been waiting forever and I have a trim coming up in Feb because my hair needs it so bad! (and maybe some bangs too O_O )

curlsgalore
March 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Bump!!i would love to see your favorite routines and products that work. I believe I'm at tailbone length but will have to double check. :)

likelikepenny
March 19th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Bumping this old gem. I'm tired of dealing with wet hair everyday but my hair needs the moisture. I'll definitely be trying this soon.

lapushka
March 19th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Bumping this old gem. I'm tired of dealing with wet hair everyday but my hair needs the moisture. I'll definitely be trying this soon.

How come your hair is wet everyday? Do you need to wash it daily? Or...? I find that quite odd. Or, you wet it with a mister bottle daily to re-moisturize? Maybe try oil rinses, they are well-known for keeping hair moisturized up to a week (it does for me).

Hairkay
March 20th, 2017, 11:46 AM
How come your hair is wet everyday? Do you need to wash it daily? Or...? I find that quite odd. Or, you wet it with a mister bottle daily to re-moisturize? Maybe try oil rinses, they are well-known for keeping hair moisturized up to a week (it does for me).

I wash mine daily. For me that's a lifelong habit/lifestyle plus my hair looks best that way. Some do need to moisturise their hair daily because their hair gets extremely dry even if they do oil rinses.

littlestarface
March 20th, 2017, 01:42 PM
The older members in this thread had some mighty pretty hair woo.

likelikepenny
March 20th, 2017, 01:49 PM

I WCC and ROO my hair everyday (using ACV as my W) because my scalp gets oily but my hair gets very dry.

My hair is very low porosity and repels water unless soaking wet so the spray bottle takes too long, plus causes tangles. It's easier to wash every day or every other day and be able to finger detangle my curls as well.

lapushka
March 20th, 2017, 03:12 PM
I WCC and ROO my hair everyday (using ACV as my W) because my scalp gets oily but my hair gets very dry.

My hair is very low porosity and repels water unless soaking wet so the spray bottle takes too long, plus causes tangles. It's easier to wash every day or every other day and be able to finger detangle my curls as well.

Bummer. I used to need to wash 2/3 times weekly, before I could stretch up to a week (due to a medical issue that prompted it, long story).

Whatever works for you. :thumbsup: I was just wondering. :)

I had no idea you had oily hair.

It's often not talked about in the natural community even, as if you can't have oily, normal, or dry hair and everyone just "has" a dry scalp. That was always so odd to me.

likelikepenny
March 20th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Bummer. I used to need to wash 2/3 times weekly, before I could stretch up to a week (due to a medical issue that prompted it, long story).

Whatever works for you. :thumbsup: I was just wondering. :)

I had no idea you had oily hair.

It's often not talked about in the natural community even, as if you can't have oily, normal, or dry hair and everyone just "has" a dry scalp. That was always so odd to me.

Yes! It's frustrated me for so long thinking that I had dry scalp because every other natural seems to have no sebum production. I have plenty although it doesn't travel down too well because of how curly it is.

The first few inches can become a grease pit if I'm not careful but the rest is just dry hair. Oils only make it worse (except jojoba) so the only way to moisturize and cleanse at the same time is a modified WO with WCC and ROO.

lapushka
March 20th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Yes! It's frustrated me for so long thinking that I had dry scalp because every other natural seems to have no sebum production. I have plenty although it doesn't travel down too well because of how curly it is.

The first few inches can become a grease pit if I'm not careful but the rest is just dry hair. Oils only make it worse (except jojoba) so the only way to moisturize and cleanse at the same time is a modified WO with WCC and ROO.

I sympathize! :) It sucks if they pigeonhole you! You just gotta do what you gotta do, right? And I'm glad you found something that works for your hair. :flower:

likelikepenny
March 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I sympathize! :) It sucks if they pigeonhole you! You just gotta do what you gotta do, right? And I'm glad you found something that works for your hair. :flower:

Very true. I'm so happy I found LHC with a wealth of information on how to care for my "out of the ordinary" hair. :)