PDA

View Full Version : Oiling hair

faeriedust
May 24th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Hi what do you use to wash your hair after oiling? I find that I have to wash my hair a few times to wash off the oil. If I use shampoo bar, the oil still remains and only if I use conventional shampoo, I can effectively remove the oil from my hair. Why is this so? I want to use indian powders to wash my hair but they are not effective at washing my hair cleanly. Did I use too much oil or did I leave the oil in my hair for too long? I usually oil my hair an hr or two before washing it.

HotRag
May 24th, 2009, 01:48 AM
If you use Indian herbs, try letting them stay on for 2 hours or so.

Shampoo bars I know nothing about.
SLS did not remove oils when I tried several years ago, but now I can remove oils with SLS free shampo, so maybe the technique is important - I don't rub, I just gently squeeze the shampoo through hair, and take about 5 minutes to do this.

With conditioner I could not get rid of the oils, but maybe I had too much oils then.

Indian herbs seems to gently take off heavy oiling if left long enough.
You don't need to totally soak your hair if it is hard to get off. I usually put oil on ends until they look greasy. On scalp I use 20 ml or so.

Delilah
May 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM
It might just be my hair's fineness, but I can wash out a heavy oiling with one good lather of a shampoo bar. Even a mayo mixed with oil saturation takes only one lather with a handful of commercial shampoo. I really lather up the shampoo and massage it in for a few minutes, then let it sit while I wash everything else.

ravenreed
May 24th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I find that the best way to remove oil is CO... I don't know why. It doesn't strip the hair either, so it is very soft after. I use a ton of oil and it always comes out.

Honey39
May 24th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Conditioner only washing effectively removes oils for me - even a very heavy pre-wash EVOO oiling. It's like magic! Shampoo never really worked terribly well for me, but I've always been very pleased with CO-washing to remove oil

Aditi
May 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I know the feeling as i also have to wash twice with shampoo to clean my hair. But they rip away the moisture from my hair so i just mix a little bit of conditioner with the diluted shampoo so that it doesn't make my hair totally rough.

Flynn
May 24th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Rice bran oil all came out with conditioner. I think it probably would have come out with enough warm water. For walnut oil, I need to sort of rinse the shampoo from my scalp down through my length to shift it. No amount or (reasonable) soaking duration of conditioner will quite budge it. EVOO... I used a full amount of shampoo on my entire length, because the smell was so nasty and I wanted to get rid of it. Other people have said different things; i forget whom, but someone was telling me that the walnut came straight out of her hair with just a little conditioner, so it would seem to depend on your individual hair to a degree, as well.

ETA: also, regarding oiling duration, I don't know that it makes a difference, or that there is any "too long". I usually do an overnight, but overnight, an hour, or five minutes of oil seems to present the same ease/difficulty of removal for me.

Elphie
May 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Another vote for removing oil with CO. A good handful of Suave Coconut, gently rubbed in and left to sit for about 5 minutes removes oil for me.

Carolyn
May 24th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I have no trouble getting out a heavy oiling with a CO wash. I use either WR or VO5 conditioners for CO. I think it does a better job than shampoo.

spidermom
May 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Even heavy oiling comes out for me with a diluted shampoo wash, any shampoo.

Furiana
May 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I have no trouble getting out a heavy oiling with a CO wash. I use either WR or VO5 conditioners for CO. I think it does a better job than shampoo.

I agree! A long CO removes more oil than shampoo ever could, for me.

enfys
May 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I get oil out with herbs. I use shikakai and amla, mix it up to be quite runny soak my hair with it, leave it for about 20-30 mins and rinse it out.

Then put more oil on when it's dry...vicious circle.

hennaphile
May 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Even heavy oiling comes out for me with a diluted shampoo wash, any shampoo.

wow! I wish my hair were that well behaved :)

I find that certain conditioners take out certain oils, my hair is very fussy.