PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid French-Twist Question

dorothea-brooke
April 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hello all,

Well I've just hit BSL -- the longest my hair has ever been! :happydance: -- but it also means I have become a complete dunce when it comes to putting my hair up. Normally, I do a pineapple thing with a Ficcare, and lately I've been doing a French twist since it's too long for a pineapple. Now, it's become too long for my "normal" French twist. So here's my question: what do you do with the ends after the second twist? Here's my current technique: I gather all my hair in one hand at the nape of my neck, twist it and twist it until it's tight, then loop it up once, and back down once, then clip. Currently, the hair on the last part (the "down" part) just sort of sticks out at the bottom. But it doesn't seem quite long enough to tuck in to the rest of the twist or anything.

What should I do???

many thanks in advance --
dorothea

Cinnamon Hair
April 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Because I love to shamelessly pimp my site..
Have you seen these instructions (http://classiclength.home.mchsi.com/french_twist_instructions/index.html) for the french twist? They feature moi looking goofy white attempting a french twist on classic length hair. I promise the results usually look presentable, not like the strange log roll you see at the bottom of the page. This method should work on bra strap length also, or any length where you have too much hair for a plain french twist. HTH

spidermom
April 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM
You can do it like a log roll at your length. Gather hair at nape as for ponytail. Loop once over the index or middle finger of your opposite hand. Now twirl that finger around and around as you lift toward the ceiling, rolling your hair into a twist. When the ends go behind the twisted hair at the bottom, stop and pin/secure into place. A Ficarre clamp placed high works well for this. You can also skewer it with a fork or sticks or down the seam with bobby or other types of hair pins .

You may need to start rolling a little higher or a little lower to get the ends to disappear before you get too high on the head with the upper part of the twist. Experiment.

MotherConfessor
April 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM
experiment, go to all those lovely hair sites and start playing with the different hair styles. Twist, turn, flip and decorate your hair, half the fun of having it long is having dozens of hairstyle options!!!

MotherConfessor
April 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM
oh yeah, I also like youtube to learn new hairstyles. I have to be able to see it :shrug:

LifeisAdventure
April 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
GREAT instructions Cinnamon Hair! In fact, they inspired me to friend you so that I can remember to check your blog often and so that you can teach me other wonderful hair things! I always kept wondering what I was doing wrong with french twists that made the ends poke out... now I know how to avoid that. Thanks! :)

Cinnamon Hair
April 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM
GREAT instructions Cinnamon Hair! In fact, they inspired me to friend you so that I can remember to check your blog often and so that you can teach me other wonderful hair things! I always kept wondering what I was doing wrong with french twists that made the ends poke out... now I know how to avoid that. Thanks! :)

Thanks LifeisAdventure, that is such a nice compliment! Hopefully one day soon I'll get around to doing some YouTube videos. Only thing stopping me is it requires all the planets to align in perfect balance on a day with: dry not damp or wet hair, decent clothes, good makeup, full camera batteries, and a good location to set the camera. And to bring out my mad updo skillz, which sometimes go into hiding.

heidihug
April 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I followed Cinnamon Hair's instructions, and this is what I came up with - I have never been able to get a french twist to work for more than a few minutes, but the new, bigger plastic hair pins I just bought at Sally's seem to have done the trick (though they are visible, they're not obnoxious looking, IMO). I do have to loop my hair a bunch of times before I tuck it under, and the problem I always have run into is that the initial twist at the nape of the neck was always too tight and I can't get all the hair tucked in. But, I think I got it!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=8093

Shanarana
April 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM
That looks very good. Nice and neat. Awesome job!!

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Heidihug, that's a great french twist. Mine are never so smooth...

Dorthea, why don't you try making the twist a little shorter, so you have, say, and extra inch of ends hanging out the bottom? That way, you should have plenty to bend back around and tuck in.

lora410
April 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I know how you feel. I am like 1/4 inch from bsl and I find myself squishing my ends into my roll.

dorothea-brooke
April 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your replies! Cinnamon Hair, awesome instructions! I'm going to try this out tonight as soon as I'm near a Ficcare again. :)

cheers,
dorothea

sapphire-o
April 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM
If you start your twist a little lower and closer to nape, you should have more space in the roll to tuck in the extra hair. :) Keep fiddling and you'll figure it out. Right now if I do a French twist I need to go up and down 3 - 4 times to fold them in. Nothing wrong with that, you just need a very big hairtoy to hold that huge roll. :)

Katze
April 10th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I do mine like Spidermom suggests and they work really well. It is one of the few 'dos that really stay put on my frizzy, multilayered, messy hair. I can imagine it working for a few more inches, too - I'm almost at 26".

Curlsgirl
April 10th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I do the one Spidermom mentioned too but didn't know what it was called! I use a nice fork and it holds very well and comfortably all day. I leave it a bit messy sometimes just for fun :D

FrannyG
April 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I love Cinnamon Hair's instructions, and I have them bookmarked for when my hair is longer.

Here are some other instructions (http://haarkram.e-something.de/instructions.html), for shorter hair, done by another member of LHC, Madeleine, whom I haven't seen around here for a long time.

She has a photo tutorial, and a little video. She also has some tips for various problems you might encounter.

Cinnamon Hair
April 10th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Heidihug, that is a perfect french twist! I can't believe you did it so fast...I'm impressed. :bowtome: Thanks for posting the photo; it is so great when someone is able to follow your instructions and they get good results!