PDA

View Full Version : How do you moisturize your hair?

Fairlight63
May 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
My hair is growing out from being colored so the ends get really dry & hard to comb.
I keep reading about how others moisturize their hair so I was wondering how do you go about "moisturizing" your hair? what do you use to moisturize it?

Fractalsofhair
May 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Generally people either use conditioner or oil, both in very small amounts. By oil, most people use coconut or olive, but there are many other types used.

rose_in_bloom
May 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
I use the most moisturizing shampoo and conditioner I can find (right now I'm LOVING Herbal Essence hello hydration). And I also use coconut oil on the last couple inches of my hair. I still have a bit of damage at the ends, so they need extra protection.

SimplyViki
May 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Generally people either use conditioner or oil, both in very small amounts. By oil, most people use coconut or olive, but there are many other types used.
Yup! But um... I use tons of conditioner. Gotta lube up that hair so my comb can just slide right through it like butter!

Buddaphlyy
May 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
I used Profectiv BreakFree moisturizer to moisturize. I apply it to the ends of my hair and then seal with oil.

walkinglady
May 23rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Every night before I go to bed I saturate the tip of my braid with warm water. I don't blot any water out. Then I gently massage the tip with a couple drops of oil or Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream. This has helped my ends a lot!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586

Milui Elenath
May 24th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I'm interested in the answers for this thread too.

I've used conditioners and oils up until now but I'm hoping for some more natural ideas, I'm thinking of trying honey.

Flynn
May 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I'm interested in the answers for this thread too.

I've used conditioners and oils up until now but I'm hoping for some more natural ideas, I'm thinking of trying honey.

Look up Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment on the Henna and Herbal board, if you haven't already (I think there might be a link to it on the VITs and Favourite Recipes sticky, too...) I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but all reports are extremely positive.

Milui Elenath
May 24th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Look up Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment on the Henna and Herbal board, if you haven't already (I think there might be a link to it on the VITs and Favourite Recipes sticky, too...) I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but all reports are extremely positive.

Thanks, I will. :) edit :oops yes I've read that, silly me :doh: I'm looking for something similar but without any commercial conditioner.

jojo
May 24th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I put a hair mask coconut and almond on for 24 hours every week and my hair has never looked as good!

LilyMunster
May 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I be sure to clarify once in a blue moon. I use mostly CO washes w very moisturizing conditioners, heavy conditioners. To comb out in the morning I first mist, then oil. Lately I've been using L'anza Magic Bullet to mist and Camilia oil to seal in the moisture. Same mist and seal routine before sleep. Just take down updo, mist, seal, fingercomb and braid for the night.
Other mist stuff
any conditioner mixed with distilled water
MM Diamond Mist
Biolage Hair Tonic
filtered water from the kitchen sink
Other sealing stuff
shea butter
coconut oil
jojoba, avocado, olive
any oil that agrees with your hair.

Also putting a dab of vegetable glycerine in my CO.
Updo's when out in the elements to keep the misted/sealed ends protected.
If it's super sunny a Buff too. If its freezing a hoodie and Buff or knit beanie hat.

Carolyn
May 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM
There are many ways you can add moisture to your hair. I look for conditioners that say they are moisturizing. I do CO washing most of the time. By doing that I am not using shampoo to strip and dry out my hair. I add extra moisture by doing SMT's with honey, aloe, and a few drops of oil added to the conditioner. I oil my hair at night and sometimes do heavy oilings. I'll mist my hair with distilled water or rose water if the length is feeling dry. I bun my hair while it's still damp and let my hair soak up the last bits of moisture. I think it's a matter of doing small things that all add moisture. And I try not to do too many thing that will dry it out.

Kirin
May 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
As someone who just bleached the heck out of her henna hair, I am swearing by Suave Humectant conditioner. Even with the bleach damage, my hair never felt so good.

spidermom
May 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Lately I am massaging about 1/2 tablespoon of my regular conditioner through the bottom half of my freshly washed hair, then applying a coney serum called Polish It and combing through, followed by air-drying or blow-drying on warm and cool. I like it better than oiling; it leaves my hair so much easier to comb. Oiling made it harder to comb because it attracted lots of dust and lint to my hair.

Carolyn
May 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'm a lint magnet too :D Have you tried other serums or is this the one you had on hand and it works? I have a couple of different kinds I could try.

akurah
May 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
As someone who just bleached the heck out of her henna hair, I am swearing by Suave Humectant conditioner. Even with the bleach damage, my hair never felt so good.

And as someone with only plain old henna hair (no bleach) I can also second the Suave Humectant conditioner rave. I like it even better than the brand it's knocking off, in fact.

Kirin
May 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM
And as someone with only plain old henna hair (no bleach) I can also second the Suave Humectant conditioner rave. I like it even better than the brand it's knocking off, in fact.

LOL I agree! I just put a review up for it in the reviews section and I rarely if ever rave about a product. This conditioner in my opinion is a true gem of a "sleeper" ..... word needs to get out about this stuff.

LilyMunster
May 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Agreed on the Suave Humectant. Good stuff.
SpiderMom damp hair, then conditioner, then serum. Sounds like my next experiment, thanks. I'll just use what I have on hand and see how it goes.

jera
May 25th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I moisturize my ends every night before bed with squalane and I no longer use shampoo. Just CO washes. My hair likes this routine so far. :p